Black Sabbath

"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is like an episode of Hi-de-Hi! compared to Son of Saul.

Had to google it, might have to check it out.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Had to google it, might have to check it out.

Brutal. I chose it as my greatest film of the 10s I think. 

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is like an episode of Hi-de-Hi! compared to Son of Saul.

Heil-de-Heil! if you will. :lol: 

On 12/01/2020 at 6:33 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I saw shazam. It was pretty good. The fight scenes were too long, but I liked the kids and Levy as shazam was so likable. I think it could have a sequel.

A sequel is coming out in 2022 and Black Adam is coming out Christmas 2021.

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice - first rate music doc, regardless of whether you’re a fan or not. 

Bombshell - Showtime’s The Loudest Voice was little more than a well acted guilty pleasure, but still leagues above this stilted, shallow, underdeveloped and bizarrely overpraised film.

27 minutes ago, Angelica said:

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice - first rate music doc, regardless of whether you’re a fan or not. 

Bombshell - Showtime’s The Loudest Voice was little more than a well acted guilty pleasure, but still leagues above this stilted, shallow, underdeveloped and bizarrely overpraised film.

I watched that Galaxy Quest doc you mentioned and liked it a lot.

I'd heard about the Ronstandt doc but haven't watched it yet. 

As far as Bombshell goes... If I just want to know more about the story, would you recommend I watch that The Loudest Voice instead of Bombshell? 

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I watched that Galaxy Quest doc you mentioned and liked it a lot.

I'd heard about the Ronstandt doc but haven't watched it yet. 

As far as Bombshell goes... If I just want to know more about the story, would you recommend I watch that The Loudest Voice instead of Bombshell? 

Definitely watch Loudest Voice if you’re interested in Ailes and the overall scandal(s).

It’s super awkward that TLV manages to make Ailes a fully realized human being (albeit a dumpster fire of one) better than Bombshell can flesh out Megyn Kelly. Having her the centerpiece is also a weird choice IMO, as Gretchen Carlson was the driving force behind his undoing. And her story is much more interesting and better done in TLV. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Red River (1948)

Probably one of the best, if not the best, Wayne performance.  It occurs to me thatt his best performances always show a sort of a dark side, this, The Searchers.  Great film though and Clift is brilliant in it, the west, in the hands of Howard Hawks is fuckin’ breathtaking, I especially remember those early scenes where those guys from the other firm arrive to make a big hoo ha about who the land belongs to.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Probably one of the best, if not the best, Wayne performance.  It occurs to me thatt his best performances always show a sort of a dark side, this, The Searchers.  Great film though and Clift is brilliant in it, the west, in the hands of Howard Hawks is fuckin’ breathtaking, I especially remember those early scenes where those guys from the other firm arrive to make a big hoo ha about who the land belongs to.

I have watched that film a million times. It is probably Hawks most Fordian western given the location work, the shots of the herd and horizons. Ford actually saw it and said to Wayne, ''I never knew you could act''. 

The opening in Rio Bravo is probably the greatest opening ever. A true silent cinema scene, a lesson in economy. Martin, who I think is fantastic by the way as a recovering alcoholic, enters saloon; has the shakes and is desperate for booze; is humiliated; goes to pick up the coin thrown by the bad guy; the Duke intervenes to save his honour; Martin clobbers the Duke; gunshot; etc etc. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The opening in Rio Bravo is probably the greatest opening ever. A true silent cinema scene, a lesson in economy. Martin, who I think is fantastic by the way as a recovering alcoholic, enters saloon; has the shakes and is desperate for booze; is humiliated; goes to pick up the coin thrown by the bad guy; the Duke intervenes to save his honour; Martin clobbers the Duke; gunshot; etc etc. 

'you're under arrest Joe'

'maybe so sheriff but don't turn around'

:D

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

'you're under arrest Joe'

'maybe so sheriff but don't turn around'

:D

I tell you a western I have never seen in years? Love Me Tender. Young Presley. Seem to recall it being a decent western. Elvis dying turned it into a weepy. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I tell you a western I have never seen in years? Love Me Tender. Young Presley. Seem to recall it being a decent western. Elvis dying turned it into a weepy. 

Yeah, I remember it being alright for a first try for Elvis, its a real shame that he (or the colonel) fucked him/himself out of so many decent roles early doors.  Mitchum loved him, thought he had potential (and Mitch’ didnt rate people easily), even set up a role for him in a small project Mitch’ did about running moonshine in the American south but the Colonel priced Elvis out of it, if you ever get around to watching it it is called Thunder Road and is quite rated by critics and something of a cult classic, especially so I hear, in the American south that it depicts, Mitchum was more well known for that movie down there than almost any other, Elvis was meant to play the role that eventually went to Mitchums son, you’ll know the one I mean if you ever see it, such a shame, I think it could’ve done wonders for his acting/respect levels in the industry.  

But yeah, Love Me Tender, ‘GET AWAY FROM EEM, LEAVUM ALONE!’, Elvis does emotion :lol: 

Edited by Len Cnut

Hereditary (2018) - now I really don't like Horror, but this is a great one. Especially the last 20 minutes and I love the music. Trumpets are perfect.

Edited by Rovim

9 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Thanks for the heads up. Wish Wesley Snipes was playing Blade again, but I'll give it a try. Love those movies. I hope this will be a new movie and not a remake of the other Blades

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Hereditary (2018) - now I really don't like Horror, but this is a great one. Especially the last 20 minutes and I love the music. Trumpets are perfect.

My brother watched this movie and was very confused. Did you understand it? Thanks.

I wish it would come on a cable channel, I would like to see it.

1 minute ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My brother watched this movie and was very confused. Did you understand it? Thanks.

I wish it would come on a cable channel, I would like to see it.

yeah, I think I did but I don't want to spoil it for you

Just now, Rovim said:

yeah, I think I did but I don't want to spoil it for you

K thanks. I hope some cable channel gets it soon. Not sure why some movies don't get bought by the premium channels?

Maybe amazon will have it on sale and I will buy it. lol

Once Upon a Time In America(1984) I watched most of the "European Cut" last night, I have mixed feelings about it.  It's Sergio Leone's last film and it's shot beautifully but the story has some holes. The acting is great but that's not surprising considering the cast. It's a many layered film that probably requires multiple viewings to truly appreciate it.  I would like to hear someone else's take on it.

Edited by lame ass security

13 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Once Upon a Time In America(1984) I watched most of the "European Cut" last night, I have mixed feelings about it.  It's Sergio Leone's last film and it's shot beautifully but the story has some holes. The acting is great but that's not surprising considering the cast. It's a many layered film that probably requires multiple viewings to truly appreciate it.  I would like to hear someone else's take on it.

I'd take the pussy over the cupcake any day :lol:

• Haha 1

Pet Sematary (the new one)

I hadn't read the book, or seen the origi al film so I went in new. I thought it was just ok. Not something I'd watch again.

Tried to watch Jay and Silent Bob Reboot and it was fucking awful. Was Kevin Smith ever any good or am I just imagining it? 

His daughter is pretty hot however.

Also Silent Bob clearly has AIDS.

Edited by Dazey

16 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Pet Sematary (the new one)

I hadn't read the book, or seen the origi al film so I went in new. I thought it was just ok. Not something I'd watch again.

You should give the original one a go.

• Like 1