"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

Samurai Cop (1991)

Holy balls this is one the best unintentionally funny movies made. So much is wrong with this film it's hard pinpoint it. It's like the director watched Lethal Weapon and said "yeah I can do something that". The fight scenes are so gloriously clumsy. The tone of the film is all over the place. The dialog is laughable where you can tell what is improvised. You can tell that was meant to be a serious buddy cop movie but it doesn't work AT ALL. Here's a "best of" compilation. If you are into "so bad it's good" movies, this will not disappoint you

Best scene from this

EDIT: Oh Hell Yeah, there is a Rifftrax (the guys who did Mystery Science Theater 3000) version of this. This is going to be even more awesome :lol:

Edited by Jabberwocky

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is the greatest film Cameron has ever made by a country mile. I love the slow motion shot in the nightclub where the T-800 walks through 1980s spasticated dancing and misses Sarah sitting on a table, who has dropped something and is reaching for it. This might seem a fairly superfluous scene/shot but the directing here is excellent and suspenseful. 

Amen to that. Although Cameron's biggest achievements are Titanic and Aliens, The Terminator is in my top 5 favorite films ever. It hits you like a freight train and it's so thought-provoking. The themes of AI and nuclear holocaust never resonated stronger, like in this film. James Cameron had everything a great filmmaker needed: talent, passion, vision, and a strong work ethic. Too bad he "retired" after he collected his 3 Oscars. But to this day, he's one of my all-time favorite directors and I love those 6 movies he's made in the '80s and '90s. And he's written Strange Days. And he gave the Predator his mandibles. :D

Grand Canyon (1991) by Lawrence Kasdan

Cast: Danny Glover, Kevin Kline, Mary McDonnell, Steve Martin, Alfre Woodard, Mary-Louise Parker

Cinematography: Owen Roizman

Music: James Newton Howard

Kasdan's magnum opus and probably the best movie of 1991. And, of course, totally overlooked in the States. I call this masterpiece an American Kieslowski film, because it has his keen sense of observation and a true tenderness for the characters. The film talks about our fears, desires for love and understanding, our fragility, but also our strengths and willingness to sacrifices. Absolutely astonishing filmmaking, screenwriting and acting. And it's also really entertaining. I love such movies - like The Ice Storm, like Magnolia, like this one - when you invest in so many characters. One of my top 10 ever.

"When you sit on the edge of that thing, you just realise what a joke we people are."

Literate IMDb users' score: 9,3

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

Fantasy Island (2020)

Can they just stop adapting old TV shows already? We can only hope the trend stops before we get a bloody fusion of Cannibal Holocaust and The Most Dangerous Game claiming to be a movie adaptation of Gilligan's Island.

Can't believe they got Tom Cruise to play Tattoo.

Thunderheart (1992) by Michael Apted

Cast: Val Kilmer, Sam Shepard, Graham Greene, Fred Ward, John Trudell

Cinematography: Roger Deakins

Music: James Horner

A masterpiece. Flawless direction, engrossing screenplay (loosely based on real events), Roger Deakins' brilliant cinematography, James Horner's haunting score, and simply wonderful acting. Even the native amateur actors were superb, but the star in here is Val Kilmer. Between 1989 and 1993, he was at the top of his game (Kill Me Again, The Doors, Tombstone, and this one). You couldn't find a sour note in his acting, he was so much in the character. You believe him, you feel him, you're there with him. Sam Shepard and Graham Greene also don't disappoint. This is a mystery thriller, western, drama, but it's also mystical and there's some wonderful, natural humour. And, of course, it's thought-provoking. And so fucking entertaining.

"We know the difference between the reality of freedom and the illusion of freedom."

"They have to kill us, because they can't break our spirit."

Literate IMDb users' score: 9,2

The Grudge 2019 version

I didn't consider this a remake, but a different take on the other Grudge movies. It actually was about different people who were effected by the original Grudge spirit.

I liked it, but like the other Grudge movies, didn't end well.

16 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Fantasy Island (2020)

Can they just stop adapting old TV shows already? We can only hope the trend stops before we get a bloody fusion of Cannibal Holocaust and The Most Dangerous Game claiming to be a movie adaptation of Gilligan's Island.

lol, But the original Fantasy Island was an upbeat show and people who got their wishes learned a valuable lesson too.

Isn't this version a horror version? I would like to see it, but when it's on one of my premium channels.

A Simple Plan (1998) by Sam Raimi

Cast: Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton, Bridget Fonda, Brent Briscoe, Chelcie Ross

Music: Danny Elfman

Cinematography: Alar Kivilo

Yet another neo-noir and another from my top 10. Definitely the best movie of 1998. And to think, Shakespeare in Love, Roberto Benigni and Gwyneth Paltrow got their Oscars that year (fuck you, Weinstein!). A Simple Plan is absolutely perfect in every way. The direction, screenplay, cinematography, sets, edition, music, acting - everything is superb in this film. Bill Paxton (R.I.P.), Billy Bob Thornton and Bridget Fonda (please, come back to acting) are so real and compelling. And they're very rational, yet everything goes wrong. This masterpiece is like an antique tragedy and at times you feel like those characters are doomed. And the theatrical release poster says it perfectly, "sometimes good people do evil things." And kudos to Danny Elfman, one of the most versatile composers of our times.

"You work for the American Dream, you don't steal it."

"Nobody would ever believe that you'd be capable of doing what you've done."

"Do you ever feel evil? I do. I feel evil."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drexl said:

A Simple Plan is absolutely perfect in every way.

I really like A Simple Plan, it's one of my winter movies. The ending always confused me, though. They just got a baby, they've got each other, isn't that worth so much more than all that money, so why so depressed?

The Verdict(1982) Paul Newman, Charlotte Rampling, James Mason, Jack Warden, Lindsay Crouse

Fantastic movie with an even better performance from Newman. How did he not win the oscar? (Answer, he was up against Ben Kingsley as Ghandi.) The supporting cast was perfect also. One of the best courtroom dramas ever, they just don't make them like that anymore. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lame ass security said:

The Verdict(1982) Paul Newman, Charlotte Rampling, James Mason, Jack Warden, Lindsay Crouse

Fantastic movie with an even better performance from Newman. How did he not win the oscar? (Answer, he was up against Ben Kingsley as Ghandi.) The supporting cast was perfect also. One of the best courtroom dramas ever, they just don't make them like that anymore. 

Why is it no one can spell that bastards name right?  There's a fuckin' street named after him around here and even they've spelt it wrong :lol:

• Haha 1

On 08/07/2020 at 5:02 PM, EvanG said:

But the average 80's action movie usually has the same formula, terrible writing, and in the case of Schwarzenegger, a bodybuilder who makes Keanu Reeves look like a decent actor. 

You say that as thought it's a bad thing. 

On 08/07/2020 at 6:26 PM, Drexl said:

If you looked closely enough, you'd see that the T-800's gun did fire, but a little too late as Kyle Reese already hit him. The whole Tech-Noir scene is one of the greatest moments in cinematic history. It's perfectly paced, photographed, lit, edited, sound-mixed and scored. Those small margins make you watch the movie at the edge of your seat.

It's also got a fucking great soundtrack! I love the two tunes they play in that scene.

On 09/07/2020 at 1:28 AM, DieselDaisy said:

It is the greatest film Cameron has ever made by a country mile. I love the slow motion shot in the nightclub where the T-800 walks through 1980s spasticated dancing and misses Sarah sitting on a table, who has dropped something and is reaching for it. This might seem a fairly superfluous scene/shot but the directing here is excellent and suspenseful. 

The first Terminator is an absolute stone cold classic. As much as I enjoy Terminator 2 it's not even on the same planet as the original.

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

You say that as thought it's a bad thing. 

But doesn't it get boring? If it's partly a comedy I can imagine still getting a chuckle out of it, like Twins or Kindergarten Cop, but without humour, a good storyline, or interesting action scenes, it gets kinda boring.

15 minutes ago, EvanG said:

But doesn't it get boring? If it's partly a comedy I can imagine still getting a chuckle out of it, like Twins or Kindergarten Cop, but without humour, a good storyline, or interesting action scenes, it gets kinda boring.

Maybe I'm just very simple in my tastes but I love all that old crappy 80's action shit. I grew up on it and it doesn't stop at Schwarzenegger and Stallone. I was a huge fan of Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, Van Damme, Michael Dudikoff, Dolph Lundgren, Mark Dacascos, Cynthia Rothrock etc etc. I used to pick them up on VHS from the local video shop (pre-Blockbuster) all the time. Most of it was absolutely terrible objectively but just so much fun. I've even got a copy of seminal Gary Busey vehicle "Eye of the Tiger" from back in the day. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Maybe I'm just very simple in my tastes but I love all that old crappy 80's action shit. I grew up on it and it doesn't stop at Schwarzenegger and Stallone. I was a huge fan of Chuck Norris, Van Damme, Michael Dudikoff, Dolph Lundgren etc etc. I used to pick them up on VHS from the local video shop (pre-Blockbuster) all the time. Most of it was absolutely terrible objectively but just so much fun. I've even got a copy of seminal Gary Busey vehicle "Eye of the Tiger" from back in the day. :lol: 

I understand, I grew up on them too, me and my friends watched them so often that the tape would wear out. From a nostalgic perspective I can see myself getting a kick out of them, but I guess I outgrew the action genre. I don't enjoy most recent action movies either, except for the really good ones.

Leave No Trace (2018) 

Interesting take on a father and daughter who are withdrawn from society and live in the woods. Really liked it, and great acting.

Super Dark Times (2017)

Turned out more creepy than I thought it would.

Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (1996)

Hadn't seen it in decades. Still funny enough.