"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

8 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Was it good? The preview looked awesome! Russell Crowe at his crazy best! I do want to see it, but not in a theatre. Not sure if any are open by me anyway.

Yeah, it was pretty cool, got going quickly and didn’t stop, you should check it out when you get the chance.

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, it was pretty cool, got going quickly and didn’t stop, you should check it out when you get the chance.

The preview shows how Russell seems to go off the deep end pretty quickly and how insane he is with trying to get to that woman.  He takes road rage to the extreme.

I don't think any movie theaters are open by me, but I will probably either buy the dvd or wait for it to come on cable. I have all the premium channels, so eventually it'll be on.

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Not sure if ''spy'' is the correct word but Flight Lieutenant Lee certainly was active in intelligence circles for both the RAF, his own service, and the British Army - and then there is this chestnut,

He was also involved in some post-war denazification work on account of his language skills. 

He had an ''interesting war'' as the saying goes. Even volunteered for the Finns during The Winter War!

Wow that is way interesting.  I didn't know that about Christopher. Sounds like he was a man of many talents. Glad he survived the war and became the amazing actor he was.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The preview shows how Russell seems to go off the deep end pretty quickly and how insane he is with trying to get to that woman.  He takes road rage to the extreme.

I don't think any movie theaters are open by me, but I will probably either buy the dvd or wait for it to come on cable. I have all the premium channels, so eventually it'll be on.

Wow that is way interesting.  I didn't know that about Christopher. Sounds like he was a man of many talents. Glad he survived the war and became the amazing actor he was.

His war would make a trilogy in itself, every bit as exciting as some of his films. Have a read of the section ''Military service during the Second World War'' on his wiki entry,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Lee

14 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Theres a lot of war heroes in the movies

Audie Murphy recieved like every fuckin’ medal for bravery its possible to get in the US Army, quite literally.

Jimmy Stewart was an airforce brigadeer or general or something, a fighter pilot during 2nd World War

Lee Marvin won a purple heart and some sort of a presidential type medal for outstanding bravery under fire, got hit by a machine gun, a sniper, all kinds of crazy shit

Sterling Hayden recieved awards for gallantry for doing parachute missions into God knows what hostile (i think) country doing all sorts of crazy shit.

3 hours ago, Dazey said:

Coming to America.

The TV show from 1989. It's absolutely shite. :lol: 

I heard Eddie was supposed to do a sequel. Not sure about it now. I did like this movie alot.

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Audie Murphy recieved like every fuckin’ medal for bravery its possible to get in the US Army, quite literally.

Jimmy Stewart was an airforce brigadeer or general or something, a fighter pilot during 2nd World War

Lee Marvin won a purple heart and some sort of a presidential type medal for outstanding bravery under fire, got hit by a machine gun, a sniper, all kinds of crazy shit

Sterling Hayden recieved awards for gallantry for doing parachute missions into God knows what hostile (i think) country doing all sorts of crazy shit.

Very cool and very good that they survived to have another career.

49 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I heard Eddie was supposed to do a sequel. Not sure about it now. I did like this movie alot.

They finished shooting on the sequel last year. It’s due to come out this Christmas. :) 

This is the 80’s TV spin off. It’s sooooo bad. :lol: 

12 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The difference with Stewart (and to a far lesser extent Sterling Hayden who'd had a few roles before serving) to Marvin and Murphy, is that he was already a famous Hollywood star. It was almost like when Presley joined the army; Stewart insisted on being treated like everyone else, and doing his service. Marvin and Murphy were just kids who joined up, and then decided they wanted to be actors after peace.

Jimmy Stewart was in the 8th USAAF flying B-24 Liberators over German; you literally cannot envision a more precarious war than the fellas who blew bombing raids over Germany. Colonel Stewart receiving France's Croix de Guerre,

170px-Jimmy_Stewart_getting_medal.jpg

John Ford used to use Stewart's war record to take the piss out of John Wayne. ''What were you doing during the war Jimmy? And what were you doing during this time John?''

Lee Marvin. Marines. Badly wounded during the Battle of Saipan. Purple Heart.

Audie Murphy. He held off an entire company of Germans at the Colmar Pocket. He was basically a ''military star'' before he become a ''Hollywood star''. Utterly ridiculous war. Medal of Honour and every other award.

Hayden was originally a Marine but was signaled out as officer material and then joined OSS, special operations similar to Christopher Lee, and worked with the Yugoslav partisans, Tito. Parachuted into Croatia. Genuine James Bond type stuff. Also highly decorated.

• Like 1

And Captain Richard Todd was in the 6th Airborne Division, who on D-Day captured Pegasus Bridge, and defended it against German attacks. Todd - and this is truly incredible - would later play his own commanding officer, Major Howard, whilst recreating the attack on Pegasus Bridge for The Longest Day

Amazing for all of these actors.

I remember reading about Elvis joining the army when he was just starting his career. Thank goodness there was no war at that time. A rare thing for the US it seems.

I also remember my granddad talking about Audiie Murphy.  

I'm not surprise so many actors would join up during WWII. It was a time when everyone had to join together to defeat Hitler. 

Not all the things that happened during the war were right, but it was a crazy time for the whole world.

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The difference with Stewart (and to a far lesser extent Sterling Hayden who'd had a few roles before serving) to Marvin and Murphy, is that he was already a famous Hollywood star. It was almost like when Presley joined the army; Stewart insisted on being treated like everyone else, and doing his service. Marvin and Murphy were just kids who joined up, and then decided they wanted to be actors after peace.

Jimmy Stewart was in the 8th USAAF flying B-24 Liberators over German; you literally cannot envision a more precarious war than the fellas who blew bombing raids over Germany. Colonel Stewart receiving France's Croix de Guerre,

John Ford used to use Stewart's war record to take the piss out of John Wayne. ''What were you doing during the war Jimmy? And what were you doing during this time John?''

Audie Murphy. He held off an entire company of Germans at the Colmar Pocket. He was basically a ''military star'' before he become a ''Hollywood star''. Utterly ridiculous war. Medal of Honour and every other award.

Hayden was originally a Marine but was signaled out as officer material and then joined OSS, special operations similar to Christopher Lee, and worked with the Yugoslav partisans, Tito. Parachuted into Croatia. Genuine James Bond type stuff. Also highly decorated.

From what I know Lee Marvin was always playing a bad ass in movies. Guess he learned from real life.

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yeah, I’ ve read all about it in their various biographies, class innit?  Jimmy Stewart remained in the army til somewhere in the 60s, he was a proper fuckin’ hero.  I think it touched him a fair bit but he near talked about it, in this documentary called Stewart vs Mitchum or some such title (its like a sociological study of type male archetypes of the American experience) his daughter touches on the issue a little.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, I’ ve read all about it in their various biographies, class innit?  Jimmy Stewart remained in the army til somewhere in the 60s, he was a proper fuckin’ hero.  I think it touched him a fair bit but he near talked about it, in this documentary called Stewart vs Mitchum or some such title (its like a sociological study of type male archetypes of the American experience) his daughter touches on the issue a little.

He wasn't in the army!

Do try and read Lenny boy.

He was in the 8th USAAF. As I said, bombing raids on German.

Edited by DieselDaisy

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Love that film.

I thought it was one of the most boring things I had seen in a long time. The only scene I liked was when one of them jumped off that rock. But to be fair, I usually like these type of films, so maybe I wasn't in the right mood for something like this. 

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I thought it was one of the most boring things I had seen in a long time. The only scene I liked was when one of them jumped off that rock. But to be fair, I usually like these type of films, so maybe I wasn't in the right mood for something like this. 

My friend I watched it with said the exact same thing back in the day.  I loved it.  Its sort of painfully real but then almost bordering on trippy in a weird way.  Based on some true shit too, the guy killed his mate and then got found hours later, alive.

Edited by Len Cnut