"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

59 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I think it's part of the charm of those movies. Always reminds me of the scene in Wayne's World where he's fighting with his missus' dad.

Yeah, its kinda not the done thing anymore, in the ‘correct’ circles its kinda looked down upon but fuck that, I enjoy it that way.

Fantastic dive into the history of the most artful and deliriously perverse animated series of the 90s. It also does a commendable job of handling the messiness creator Jim K. brings to the table (turns out he has some, er, inappropriately aged ex girlfriends). 

• Like 2

Arthur and Merlin

This middle ages stuff is doing it for me lately, even if some of it may not be award winning. I like the different way the aspects of the legends are presented in the different versions. 

I think seeing groups of people rise up in the name of good in such a hopeless time as the dark ages is a comforting thing as USA continues its race to failed statehood. We need our folklore at times like these.

Silver Bullet with Gary Bussy and Corey Haim. Still a cool movie.

6 hours ago, Angelica said:

Fantastic dive into the history of the most artful and deliriously perverse animated series of the 90s. It also does a commendable job of handling the messiness creator Jim K. brings to the table (turns out he has some, er, inappropriately aged ex girlfriends). 

Oh, I remember this show. lol They were so crazy.

9 hours ago, Angelica said:

Never heard about this. I loved R&S back in the day. Have you ever seen that R&S Adult Party Cartoon reboot? It was godawful. A friend of mine, I went to middle and high school with, was a layout artist on that show. I've heard some REAL doozies about John K from him.

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

Never heard about this. I loved R&S back in the day. Have you ever seen that R&S Adult Party Cartoon reboot? It was godawful. A friend of mine, I went to middle and high school with, was a layout artist on that show. I've heard some REAL doozies about John K from him.

I didn’t know it existed until it was covered in the doc. Your friend might be in this! The original crew of artists are interviewed extensively. And yeah, long before it’s revealed he was grooming 14 year old R&S fans online, John K comes of as a titanic asshole.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Angelica said:

I didn’t know it existed until it was covered in the doc. Your friend might be in this! The original crew of artists are interviewed extensively. And yeah, long before it’s revealed he was grooming 14 year old R&S fans online, John K comes of as a titanic asshole.

He's not in the doc, as far as I'm aware. He would have told me if he was. What he told me was that John K was a taskmaster and hard to satisfy. As far as the grooming part goes, the evidence speaks for itself from the victims. It wasn't an open secret but he really didn't put in any effort in saying "I'm not a pedophile." John K likes younger girls and has admitted he does. But there is a difference between a younger girl in their early to mid 20's and a minor. John K likes more of one than the other.

Anyways here is a demo reel of his animations. Back in the day, primarily in middle school, he wrote a comic about me called "Farmer Jeff." I wish I still had the drawings/comics because it was fucking hilarious. He made me the butt of the joke every time :lol:

Edited by Jabberwocky

6 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

He's not in the doc, as far as I'm aware. He would have told me if he was. What he told me was that John K was a taskmaster and hard to satisfy. As far as the grooming part goes, the evidence speaks for itself from the victims. It wasn't an open secret but he really didn't put in any effort in saying "I'm not a pedophile." John K likes younger girls. He has admitted he does. But there is a difference between a younger girl in their early to mid 20's and a minor. John K likes more of one than the other, if you know what I mean?.

Anyways here is a demo reel of his animations. Back in the day, primarily in middle school, he wrote a comic about me called "Farmer Jeff." I wish I still had the drawings/comics because it was fucking hilarious.

That’s so cool!

What the movie does really well, is manage to both acknowledge his brilliance while holding him accountable by letting his victims and his understandably disgruntled former employees get their say in. That the filmmakers pull this off, I think is particularly important in the present era. 

Watched "Martha Marcy May Marlene" today.  Starring Elizabeth Olsen(the younger sister of the Olsen twins),  interesting movie.  Came out in 2011.  Can't say I recommend it, but its worth a watch.  Never heard of it before.

43 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It was good, weren't it?  Apparently Ed's gonna come out with another stand up, though this corona bollocks has fucked that right up for the moment.

I’m not sure how I feel about another Eddie Murphy stand-up. How is he going to match up to what’s he’s done before? I mean he obviously can’t do a lot of the same sort of material. I worry that whatever he comes back with it’s going to be a pale imitation of what came before. 

40 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I’m not sure how I feel about another Eddie Murphy stand-up. How is he going to match up to what’s he’s done before? I mean he obviously can’t do a lot of the same sort of material. I worry that whatever he comes back with it’s going to be a pale imitation of what came before. 

Yeah I get what you're saying but then isn't that more to do with how we, or people of a certain generation, feel about Raw and Delirious if you think about it?  Its sort of like GnR, I honestly think even if they released an album now as good as Appetite it  probably wouldn't catch fire the same way or have quite the same effect.  Stand up is different though.  I dunno, its weird, I mean I heard Chris Rocks Tambourine (his latest stand up) and its still funny but honestly it ain't a patch on Bring the Pain, Bigger & Blacker or Never Scared.  Its a rare stand up that goes far into old age whilst maintaining his edge.  George Carlin, Richard Pryor (though he couldn't keep it up for ever so long).  Billy Connolly though, y'know what, I never really heard any of his shit.  Your mate Chubbs, he's kept his ummm, standard up all these years :lol:  Bernard Manning too :lol:

But nah, I'm quietly optimistic though I don't know why.  Part of why Eddie was so good was he was so raw, can you expect that shit necessarily from a very rich middle aged man?  I dunno.  But Raw and Delirious are just fuckin' benchmarks, nothing will touch them and its unreasonable to expect it to.  Just for it to be funny is enough for me.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

It was good, weren't it?  Apparently Ed's gonna come out with another stand up, though this corona bollocks has fucked that right up for the moment.

Yeah it was! I’m a Eddie fan so I was glad it was good. Definitely one of his better recent movies. You could tell he was really into it.

I’d love for him to do another standup. Yeah I doubt it would be as good Raw or Delirious but who cares, I’m pretty sure you could blaze up and have a good laugh with him. 

You ain’t got no ice cream yo mama on the welfare so you don’t get no ice cream :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah it was! I’m a Eddie fan so I was glad it was good. Definitely one of his better recent movies. You could tell he was really into it.

I’d love for him to do another standup. Yeah I doubt it would be as good Raw or Delirious but who cares, I’m pretty sure you could blaze up and have a good laugh with him. 

You ain’t got no ice cream yo mama on the welfare so you don’t get no ice cream :lol:

Its a fucking shame though when black comedians, who I personally gravitated too because, out of the American bunch, generally speaking, were the ones most likely to say some politically incorrect shit, its a shame to see them kinda going the way of the whiteboys.  Then again you had Dice and them.  But generally speaking who could get away with that African bit Eddie Murphy did? :lol:  Or the myriad crazy shit Richard Pryor came out with, which is too numerous to mention. 

42 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its a fucking shame though when black comedians, who I personally gravitated too because, out of the American bunch, generally speaking, were the ones most likely to say some politically incorrect shit, its a shame to see them kinda going the way of the whiteboys.  Then again you had Dice and them.  But generally speaking who could get away with that African bit Eddie Murphy did? :lol:  Or the myriad crazy shit Richard Pryor came out with, which is too numerous to mention. 

Yea most of my fav stand ups are black. Pryor and Eddie are like 1 and 2. Rocks early stuff was great, like that tossed salad bit has become a known reference. Bernie Mac is a fav. Katt probably the most recent. And Chris Tucker’s early stuff like when he was pretty much just being Smoky before he was Smoky.

15 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yea most of my fav stand ups are black. Pryor and Eddie are like 1 and 2. Rocks early stuff was great, like that tossed salad bit has become a known reference. Bernie Mac is a fav. Katt probably the most recent. And Chris Tucker’s early stuff like when he was pretty much just being Smoky before he was Smoky.

I never did much like Chris Tucker but the rest are fuckin' champions, I love Katt Williams and Bernie Mac.  Chapelles pretty sick too though he's kinda in that 'greats' category now.

Edited by Len Cnut

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I never did much like Chris Tucker but the rest are fuckin' champions, I love Katt Williams and Bernie Mac.  Chapelles pretty sick too though he's kinda in that 'greats' category now.

Shit I forgot Chapelle. Yea he’s in that category. Bernie was hilarious. Just the way he said stuff was so funny. Pryor and Eddie too, just the way they talked was funny didn’t even matter what they were talking about lol.

10 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Shit I forgot Chapelle. Yea he’s in that category. Bernie was hilarious. Just the way he said stuff was so funny. Pryor and Eddie too, just the way they talked was funny didn’t even matter what they were talking about lol.

Pryor, this day, has me in stitches and I'm not really a laugh out loud kind of person.  That hooray for tolerance!s Crazy is, to this day, the funniest stand up ever, point blank, with no competition.  There's some rarer Pryor albums out there too like Craps etc which are fucking brilliant.  That Mudbone character he does, I could listen to him do that all day long.  I don't think anyone touches Pryor.  There's like a holy trinity of stand up and to me it goes Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor and George Carlin.  Everyone else falls in behind those guys.  Bill Cosby, as unpopular as this is as an opinion, was a fantastic stand up, you can hear bits of Cosby in Pryor, lots of it if you're listening right.  He copied him like crazy, right down to the way he ennunciated things, for example:

1:55, when he says 'if he dieee and come back', tell me you don't hear Bill Cosby in that.  Cosby was funny without being blue too.  I mean I love blue comedians don't get me wrong but there's room for the other too, I think.  Lenny Bruce is hilairious but you kinda gotta be up on 1950s New York jewish hipster slang to kinda keep up but if you listen enough you pick up on that shit, I LOVE Lenny Bruce, the Len in my name is a reference to Lenny Bruce. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

Yeah Pryor is def a #1 kinda guy out of everybody. I’m about to listen to that shit you posted now :lol:

That old Cosby, he’s siting in a chair most of the time, I think he’s wearing a suit, that is for real one of the funniest stand ups ever. Did you see that one? There’s a bit about him letting his kids eat cake for breakfast and his wife coming down?

46 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah Pryor is def a #1 kinda guy out of everybody. I’m about to listen to that shit you posted now :lol:

That old Cosby, he’s siting in a chair most of the time, I think he’s wearing a suit, that is for real one of the funniest stand ups ever. Did you see that one? There’s a bit about him letting his kids eat cake for breakfast and his wife coming down?

Yeah I know the one you mean, its got a really simple title too.  Thats some G shit too, sitting in a fuckin’ living room armchair doing your gig.  Still, I expect acting relaxed with people is a key element to the whole roofie-ing hoes experience :lol: 

• Haha 1