The whining thread

john lennon

4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I've been thinking about furniture making lately because I'm looking for a new chest of drawers and have discovered that, in my opinion, they're way overpriced. I want to finish my degree because I like what I'm studying and already have mounting debt but furniture making might be a good alternative and would be really fun and satisfying seeing the finished products.

What are you studying?  I must be daft for not knowing you were matriculating?

Also, I too love the thought of furniture making and also refurbishing.  When my 'someday' comes thats part of the picture.  So far the dream lives in a coffee table book on the craft.

6 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Screen & Media studies mainly(which I may steer towards game design), bit of creative writing stuff, a bit of philosophy stuff and I'm doing marketing as a supporting subject. I really don't enjoy marketing though. Those people have no scruples.

Yeah the business would be like a classy yet approachable local style shop. Refurbishing, custom designs and maybe a small line of generic but still good quality standard furniture you could stock in other larger retailers, if you had the right setup.

Your studies sounds really interesting.  Now I understand how your reviews in movie thread are so good.

I would definitely go and buy from that type of furniture store.  Sounds awesome!  A good, honest craft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

Two days ago we lost John Dunsworth, yesterday we lost Gord Downey and today I wake up to learn that DJ NDN is leaving A Tribe Called Red.  Hug a Canadian today.

And in December your boy David Lemiuex is getting fucked up by Billy Joe Saunders, its a bad time for Canada :D

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

And in December your boy David Lemiuex is getting fucked up by Billy Joe Saunders, its a bad time for Canada :D

I dont know a thing about boxing but I do know that a Canadian would easily kick a Brits ass any day.  All pasty and sniffling.  :lol:

11 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Thanks, mate. tbh though my reviews are pretty lazy :lol:

Yeah I have respect for honest crafts like that. Less spoiled and grandiose than my own ambitions lol.

haha, they do the job!

Those ambitions are video game design?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah and writing. Slowly chipping away at a screenplay, novel, and a few comics. Got more ideas for other projects but I'm trying to limit myself to just these in an effort to be less scattered.

I severely lack focus. I have autism spectrum disorder, adhd and depression so maybe that's why or part of why. But I often wonder if I'm just a lazy, audacious stupid person lol.

Thats awesome, dude! The writing and game stuff I mean.  Im looking forward to your nu gnr comic!  But can wait if you need to focus elsewhere.  Give me a shot at a soundtrack sometime :) 

Im sure its the former and not the latter.  Its really great that you push through those obstacles.

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

'Soon' is not the word haha.

Are you a musician/composer?

Thats a tricky word; "soon"  :lol:

When its done it will be done on time.

I am a composer/songwriter.  Im so beyond rusty though as its been disrupted by health stuff.  I had an eye on moving into foley once upon a time, too.

20 minutes ago, soon said:

@Len Cnutyou were supposed to defend British boxers so I could post these pictures of our Prime Minister boxing a disgraced Senator.  Even our bimbo PM can throw down! :lol:

csMGXFGh.jpg

And who could forget the weigh in:

Gbgqekfh.jpg

KBJHs49h.jpg

Canada has an illustrious boxing pedigree so i werent gonna go there :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Well I hope you get better soon now. :lol:

Got any of your stuff on youtube? What kind of music? Classical? Electronic?

I've dreamed a few melodies I want to use, one in particular because it sounds like a western theme and my film is a romantic western. But I feel almost intimidated by music/sound. I'm not at all trained in anyway and don't play any instruments. Plus I worry I'm regurgitating something I've heard somewhere lol.

haha!  Thanks

I've written hard rock, jam band, folk, electronic, theme music for radio (electronic) and played or recorded with other songwriters, bands and session work.  A bit of work behind the mixing board too.  Now Im limited to fooling around on garage band program on computer and just trying to keep up basic rudiments on the acoustic guitar.  I like to compose 'soundtrack' style music on computer and still pen the odd folk tune.  Im sure some of its online, but none of my own projects as far as i know.

There probably is nothing new to write in music, so dont worry about that part!  Its really cool how as the author you hear the themes.  Very telling of how in tune you are with it. And all I can say is that Im at home with sound but really intimidated by writing.  

16 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah it's pretty neat when stuff just comes to you like that. I think creativity is an energy that's part of the universe that people can tap into, it's like a hidden river. A few nights ago I actually dreamed an entire opening to a movie but it wasn't very good imo. Was a creepy alien invasion/disaster movie lol.

At least 3 paintings came to me in dreams, like crystal clear and the fucked up thing was I was viewing them in a frame in some sort of building. But I hate painting so much because of the mess and all the mixing the colours. So if I ever get around to those I'll probably do them digitally.

That's really cool that your music isn't confined to one genre. I'd be interested to hear. I'll probably ask your advice/opinion at some point, if that's alright.

It really is something when it just comes, for sure. Hidden river: I love that.  Perfect way to state it.  Thats some high standards when your dreams dont make the cut, haha

I received a song in dream once, but thats it.  I tried water colour for a bit but never got the hang of it.  You do graphic design too?

I hope to one day get some of my current work out.  Came close to posting some on the forum.  When theres more stability in life.  Id be honoured to share thoughts or workshop with you!  

16 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Global warming disasters as the first wave of attack as vampire aliens invade Earth due to a native American ghost tribe summoning them for revenge - just another evening with Oldest Goat LOL.

I mean, I guess I do graphic design like for my comics and stuff. I like drawing(very rusty though and need to get better.) but graphic design isn't part of my degree or anything.

As I said would be interested to listen. I'll post the GNR comic on here whenever that's finished. And sweet, thank you.

Just another evening with Oldest Goat!  Ya know - just one of those dreams, haha

Maybe Ill post a tune after your gnr comic arrives?

On 7/31/2017 at 6:34 PM, Oldest Goat said:

I've been rigorously working-out 6 days a week for the last month or so and since about a week ago I'm eating healthier than ever, I'm talking healthy as fuck folks. Basically just fruit and veges and limited portions of red meat. ZERO junk...well, I just read what feels like an entire book about how amazingly delicious 'SPAM' is. I don't know what the fuck it is and frankly I don't care. All I know is I am now so fucking hungry I am going to run out into the street after typing this post and mug passersby at knifepoint for their precious SPAM.

#SPAM #Hunger #KillMe

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/spam-thefts-prompt-hawaii-retailers-lock-canned-meat-article-1.3573987

I'm stunned that I haven't been fired from my job yet. I'm not trying to get fired, but I'm a pretty bad employee overall. I'm apathetic, rarely agree to go in on my days off, am not afraid to call customers on their bullshit (within reason), and I make jokes left and right about how much I hate the job. 

Retail will do that to ya.

• Like 1

On 2017-10-19 at 11:47 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time, mate.

Regarding employment/education, what about polytechnic or somewhere to learn a skill/trade like furniture making or something? 

I've been thinking about furniture making lately because I'm looking for a new chest of drawers and have discovered that, in my opinion, they're way overpriced. I want to finish my degree because I like what I'm studying and already have mounting debt but furniture making might be a good alternative and would be really fun and satisfying seeing the finished products.

Actually my dream job is to work in a psych ward and the education isn't that long, only I finished high school so I'm not really eligible for the education program since it's mostly for those who didn't finish, which sucks ass.

Also I just remembered my math course started yesterday. Fuck me, I never remember important things that I find uninteresting. Hell. 

On 2017-10-22 at 5:33 AM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'm stunned that I haven't been fired from my job yet. I'm not trying to get fired, but I'm a pretty bad employee overall. I'm apathetic, rarely agree to go in on my days off, am not afraid to call customers on their bullshit (within reason), and I make jokes left and right about how much I hate the job. 

Retail will do that to ya.

Ugh, I know that all too well. I did some major screw ups before they ran out of times. I'm not exactly fired, it's just that they won't give me shifts anymore. Kind of the passive aggressive behavior you can expect from that place. Fuck. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I keep my grocery list on my phone and when I went to make it this morning, I almost posted it on here. I need to go back to sleep.

HA!  My mind functions at that level sometimes too.  That said, we are all now curious what was on your list?  And I'd bet a "post your grocery list" thread would stay active for a good 4 pages, if not maybe catch on as a mainstay.  :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Oh, isn't there? *the camera zooms in on it's cold, dead, black eye.*

Honestly, I dole out dolphins for lots of reasons. It could be anything from enjoying or agreeing with the post or a specific part of it, mocking, wanting to provide streamlined moral support or in this case, to confuse a Scotsman.

There's nothing they can't do. Remember, the dolphins are always watchin' youuuu. 

P.S. It was being supportive. :lol:

file