The whining thread

john lennon

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

You've been smoking that shit since you were ten years old? Dear lord...

Sorry, just over 20 years, see, its effected my maths :lol:  Having said that I did have my first spliff around 11/12, whatever age it is you start secondary school.  But it didnt get regular until I was 14ish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Hate'' and ''rationalism'' in one sentence. 

The hate is for religion, the warmth and love is for rationalism. Sorry if that was unclear.

I've thought this before, and I am gonna think it again: You Brits have a lingering problem adapting to your new status as a small country in a large pond. You come here thinking that everybody will not only grasp but also appreciate your particular form of cultural bantering. And to some extent you should expect people to enjoy it, because it is fucking great. I mean, it truly is. You have this remarkable sense of infusing everything with humor, often affectionate humor. Even your bantering. So it is really great. But not everybody in the world gets it. We Norwegians don't typically get it. We don't share that particular cultural phenomenon. We might attempt some good-natured bantering but it would quickly turn to fisticuffs because we either don't do it right, or we don't get it right. But you, lovely as you are, don't really get that. Just like you don't grasp that not everybody will understand whatever slang you use. And I think it all comes down to a national failure to readjust yourself from a leading empire to a nation with really no more cultural impact than, say, Germany. You used to rule, not only the world but also culture, and now you are as marginalized as everyone else besides USA. You simply haven't had that collective readjustment of your cultural psyche, yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

You grew up?

I’m really not sure. Just...I dunno, it just weren’t as much of a laugh anymore.  It got to the point that I couldnt remember not being prang after the hour of 6pm.  Just got a bit boring.  I haven’t sworn off it or anything, I’ll probably have a go again when the fancy takes me, it just doesn’t seem to take me anymore.  Weren’t even really a concious desicion.  Just didn’t feel like it one day and haven’t felt like it since.  20 years is a good run.  And I smoked a SHITLOAD...not only in terms of frequency but amounts too, especially up until my late 20s.

Edited by Len Cnut

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I’m really not sure. Just...I dunno, it just weren’t as much of a laugh anymore.  It got to the point that I couldnt remember not being prang after the hour of 6pm.  Just got a bit boring.  I haven’t sworn off it or anything, I’ll probably have a go again when the fancy takes me, it just doesn’t seem to take me anymore.  Weren’t even really a concious desicion.  Just didn’t feel like it one day and haven’t felt like it since.  20 years is a good run.  And I smoked a SHITLOAD...not only in terms of frequency but amounts too, especially up until my late 20s.

I stopped at "prang". No, just kidding :lol: (Don't know what is means, though.)

Maybe you became desensitized to its effects.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I stopped at "prang". No, just kidding :lol: (Don't know what is means, though.)

Maybe you became desensitized to its effects.

Prang means high, fucked up, buzzin'.  You can prang a car too, it means fuckin' it up in an accident.  As for the gear, fuck knows man.  I prefer just the drink now.  Don't really go out as much anymore so drugs are kinda like....y'know, who wants to do drugs fuckin' sittin' at home or goin' round someones house.  Wouldn't mind doing a bit of a coke though, just need the fight situation for it.  But as I say, this all subject to changing as and when I feel like it.  Done a fair bit of opium when I was abroad if that counts. 

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't so much walk but run (long distance) for exercise along the Northumbrian coastline. 

I do long-distance running, too! (We have to, to keep up with fleeing anglo-saxons.)

We are so alike, Diesel. That's why our few disagreements seem so enormous: they simply contrast so much with our otherwise similar personalities. We like history (in particular Roman), we run, we like old-school GN'R, we like food, we are...carbon-based lifeforms. An probably much more that escapes me right now. I am just a more well-adjusted, happier version of you. Do you own a whippet, too?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

You used to rule, not only the world but also culture, and now you are as marginalized as everyone else besides USA. You simply haven't had that collective readjustment of your cultural psyche, yet.

My country used to rule the world, but we don't have that attitude.

Now please stop sucking up to the Brits. Daisy has gotten his ass kissed enough already this week. We don't want him to get even more bigheaded, now do we?

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

My country used to rule the world, but we don't have that attitude.

Now please stop sucking up to the Brits. Daisy has gotten his ass kissed enough already this week. We don't want him to get even more bigheaded, now do we?

You have readjusted by now. 

I like the Brits, can't help it. Wonderful people, warts and all. They do have an inflated sense of importance, though.

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The hate is for religion, the warmth and love is for rationalism. Sorry if that was unclear.

I've thought this before, and I am gonna think it again: You Brits have a lingering problem adapting to your new status as a small country in a large pond. You come here thinking that everybody will not only grasp but also appreciate your particular form of cultural bantering. And to some extent you should expect people to enjoy it, because it is fucking great. I mean, it truly is. You have this remarkable sense of infusing everything with humor, often affectionate humor. Even your bantering. So it is really great. But not everybody in the world gets it. We Norwegians don't typically get it. We don't share that particular cultural phenomenon. We might attempt some good-natured bantering but it would quickly turn to fisticuffs because we either don't do it right, or we don't get it right. But you, lovely as you are, don't really get that. Just like you don't grasp that not everybody will understand whatever slang you use. And I think it all comes down to a national failure to readjust yourself from a leading empire to a nation with really no more cultural impact than, say, Germany. You used to rule, not only the world but also culture, and now you are as marginalized as everyone else besides USA. You simply haven't had that collective readjustment of your cultural psyche, yet.

Bollocks and I'll tell you why it is bollocks. English humour precedes the actual empire. Haven't you read Chaucer? There wasn't much of an empire then. There was not much of an empire when Shakespeare was active beyond a few struggling North American settlements. 

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bollocks and I'll tell you why it is bollocks. English humour precedes the actual empire. Haven't you read Chaucer? There wasn't much of an empire then. There was not much of an empire when Shakespeare was active beyond a few struggling North American settlements. 

I never argued that your sense of humor came with the Empire and not before, I argued that the reason you today don't seem to realize that your particular cultural idiosyncrasies are yours and your alone, so you thrust it on everyone without any seeming reflection that it might cause misunderstandings (whether it is bantering that is taken too seriously or slang that is not understood), is the result of you not realizing you have become a cultural lightweight. You go about like you are an Empire. Like everybody naturally understands you. You are the national equivalent of a terrier that has been bred to be small, yet the breed hasn't mentally adapted and still thinks he is large and feisty. Do you get it now?

Edited by SoulMonster

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I never argued that your sense of humor came with the Empire and not before, I argued that the reason you today don't seem to realize that your particular cultural idiosyncrasies are yours and your alone, so you thrust it on everyone without any seeming reflection that it might cause misunderstandings (whether it is bantering that is taken too seriously or slang that is not understood), is the result of you not realizing you have become a cultural lightweight. You go about like you are an Empire. Like everybody naturally understands you. You are the national equivalent of a terrier that has been bred to be small, yet the breed hasn't mentally adapted and still thinks he is large and feisty. Do you get it now?

I get that you are speaking utter bollocks.

You yourself have bought into English culture - well, of sorts ''English'' - by choosing to support a horrendous nancy boy football side from Lancashire. That is your initiative, buying into English culture, appropriating English culture enough to use the pronoun ''we'' to designate yourself as a supporter of said club. The English have not fostered this onto you. Indeed, as an Englishman I would have well advised staying clear of such a horrendous club, supporting instead your local sides. But...

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I get that you are speaking utter bollocks.

You yourself have bought into English culture

Well, I happen to like English culture, and the English. Even you, now that I realize you are just a distorted image of me.

You don't choose the side you support. I cannot more stop following Manchester United and instead develop some unnatural interest in Rosenborg, than I can stop growing older. This is not a matter of choice. even if I wanted to switch to some local team it wouldn't work. And it doesn't really matter where your club is in the world, because, first off, being a supporter of Manchester United is objectively many-fold better than being a supporter of Rosenborg, simply because the former has more quality and plays against better teams in the world. Secondly, then I get to travel to Manchester now and then, which is a great city in itself. The world is your oyster. Not mine, I don't like oysters, but you get the drift. Lastly, you cannot advise me against the club, I have been a fan since I was a little kid and probably knows a lot more about it than you do (and probably have seen them more times, as well). There is nothing you can say I didn't know before, or haven't heard before.

But anyway, just explaining why Brits often get misunderstood here. 

57 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, I happen to like English culture, and the English. Even you, now that I realize you are just a distorted image of me.

You don't choose the side you support. I cannot more stop following Manchester United and instead develop some unnatural interest in Rosenborg, than I can stop growing older. This is not a matter of choice. even if I wanted to switch to some local team it wouldn't work. And it doesn't really matter where your club is in the world, because, first off, being a supporter of Manchester United is objectively many-fold better than being a supporter of Rosenborg, simply because the former has more quality and plays against better teams in the world. Secondly, then I get to travel to Manchester now and then, which is a great city in itself. The world is your oyster. Not mine, I don't like oysters, but you get the drift. Lastly, you cannot advise me against the club, I have been a fan since I was a little kid and probably knows a lot more about it than you do (and probably have seen them more times, as well). There is nothing you can say I didn't know before, or haven't heard before.

But anyway, just explaining why Brits often get misunderstood here. 

Glory seeker.

I do not doubt for a second. I'd rather stick knitting needles in my eyes than watch Manchester United. 

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

To me its more a case of being yourself?  I kind of expect it from everyone.  I don’t want everyone, or anyone, to be some sort of homogenized version of themselves for my ease of understanding, I have an endless curiosity and if i dont understand something I’m not afraid to ask.  I would find the planet incredibly boring if the whole world was to adopt a kind of uni- language for the sake of ease of communication, if only because it misses the point.  If you are all being the same what is there left to communicate?  Its sort of the death of culture to insist on people being this one way, whether in language or in their sense of humour or their values.  

Its kinda like saying ‘OK, stop being yourself, we have this vision of the 21st Century human and it talks walks looks and sounds like this’, well fuck that.  Which is not to say that people shouldn’t change but people should change in their direction, not in THE direction.

Nothing is being thrust on you, no one has a gun to your head, you don’t have to engage if you don’t want to or if its opressive or not worth the effort.

Meeting/speaking/dealing with people of different backgrounds in that way to me is like going to Ghana and staying in their Hilton and going to their McDonalds and watching BBC Ghana if such a thing exists, its kind depressing.

And if England are kinda defined overseas by being bloody-minded in retaining its identity in even this little sense then God bless it.  Warts and all.  God knows it ain’t perfect over here but it is what it is and so it should be until it makes its own way to being what its going to be.  

We have one of the worlds most multicultural societies in the world, God knows its dysfunctional but its there.  How multicultural is Norway?  This is the country that made it so rhythm and blues, from an alien culture, is still listened to around the world to this day, this is the country that helped reggae become an international phenomenon instead of a national or regional one, all whilst apparently retaining its own identity through pig-headed arrogance.  

Edited by Len Cnut

Well, some dope tried to mail liquid mercury through the mail and stopped all letter delivery for about a week.

The post office had to put all the mail through some machine to check for any mercury contamination.

Of course, the local news notified all of us, not the post office. Anyway, since this is the time of the month for all credit card bills to be paid, everyone is upset by this.

I finally got a few bills today. Oh joy! Hopefully, this won't happen again, but with so many stupid people in the world there's no guarantees! lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Well, some dope tried to mail liquid mercury through the mail and stopped all letter delivery for about a week.

The post office had to put all the mail through some machine to check for any mercury contamination.

Of course, the local news notified all of us, not the post office. Anyway, since this is the time of the month for all credit card bills to be paid, everyone is upset by this.

I finally got a few bills today. Oh joy! Hopefully, this won't happen again, but with so many stupid people in the world there's no guarantees! lol

That is hilarious :lol:

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Poor Rosenborg. Ditched. Abandoned. Jettisoned, in favour of a monied-up club of wankers in Lancashire. Weep for poor Rosenborg. 

I don't know how it is in crickets, but based on what you say I suppose that "sport" never really manages to arouse enough enthusiasm among its followers for them to have one favorite team and reject all others. But that's how it is with football. You pick one team and the rest is for naught. A rare display of human fidelity. So yes, I never became a fan of Rosenborg. Or of Molde, or Lyn, or Lillestrøm, or Tromsø, or Start, or any of the other hundreds of football teams in Norway. Nor of any of the teams in Sweden, or Denmark, or Mozambique. In fact, by becoming a Manchester United fan I rejected thousands of teams across the globe in that very instant. So if you feel like mourning those teams who must go on without my support, I hope you don't have other plans this weekend. Weep away.

38 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know how it is in crickets, but based on what you say I suppose that "sport" never really manages to arouse enough enthusiasm among its followers for them to have one favorite team and reject all others. But that's how it is with football. You pick one team and the rest is for naught. A rare display of human fidelity. So yes, I never became a fan of Rosenborg. Or of Molde, or Lyn, or Lillestrøm, or Tromsø, or Start, or any of the other hundreds of football teams in Norway. Nor of any of the teams in Sweden, or Denmark, or Mozambique. In fact, by becoming a Manchester United fan I rejected thousands of teams across the globe in that very instant. So if you feel like mourning those teams who must go on without my support, I hope you don't have other plans this weekend. Weep away.

Precisely how it should be.

You have rejected a team of your fatherland for a team of foreign mercenaries, floppy haired fools and money bags.

(This is at that precise time when Manchester United supporters usually say something along the lines of, ''my father's second cousin removed had a friend who had a sister who lived in Manchester who married a guy who once saw George Best play so I have the Red Devils in my blood''. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Precisely how it should be.

You have rejected a team of your fatherland for a team of foreign mercenaries, floppy haired fools and money bags.

(This is at that precise time when Manchester United supporters usually say something along the lines of, ''my father's second cousin removed had a friend who had a sister who lived in Manchester who married a guy who once saw George Best play so I have the Red Devils in my blood''. 

Rosenborg is full of foreign mercenaries too, by the way. 

And when I became a Manchester United supporter, Manchester, the city, was about as close to where I was geographycally, as Trondheim and Rosenborg. Made no sense to become a Rosenborg supporter. 

I actually played on Manchester United as a kid, in my formative years, so naturally my blood is red and will always be so. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Rosenborg is full of foreign mercenaries too, by the way. 

And when I became a Manchester United supporter, Manchester, the city, was about as close to where I was geographycally, as Trondheim and Rosenborg. Made no sense to become a Rosenborg supporter. 

I actually played on Manchester United as a kid, in my formative years, so naturally my blood is red and will always be so. 

Manchester United is just some plastic team which everybody from China to Timbuktu supports.