Piano/Music Help

I'm relatively new to the piano and I am working my way though playing November Rain.  However, there has always been an Axl piano solo from 1993 that I really liked and would love to know how to play it:

I've tried to figure it out myself, but I'm finding it challenging, especially with him tuned down half a step.  Can anyone help me with the basics as to how he is playing each hand?  For example, is the left hand playing octaves only or something else?  How is the right hand melody done?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

For the first piece, on the left hand, hes only playing octaves at the same, and at the end of every bar he hits the lower octave then the higher one.

For the right hand, just get the basic single note melody down first, and then hear the "other" notes that hes playing underneath it

Edited by Mendez

1 hour ago, loosecannon3 said:

OK thanks.  I will try to see if I can make that work.

What do you mean at the end of each bar he hits the lower octave and then the higher?  He hits the low F and then the higher F for example?

Yes, its hard to explain. At the end of each bar, gis pinky hits, then his thumb. So hes playing octaves together, then seperately. Just look at his left hand and in sure youll see what i mean

1 hour ago, Mendez said:

Yes, its hard to explain. At the end of each bar, gis pinky hits, then his thumb. So hes playing octaves together, then seperately. Just look at his left hand and in sure youll see what i mean

OK thanks. I think I know what you're getting at.

For the right hand, I don't think he is doing octaves.  I can get the basic melody for the single notes.  Are the notes under it most likely thirds in your opinion?

23 minutes ago, loosecannon3 said:

OK thanks. I think I know what you're getting at.

For the right hand, I don't think he is doing octaves.  I can get the basic melody for the single notes.  Are the notes under it most likely thirds in your opinion?

Im almost positive they're octaves, as he usually only plays around with octaves for all GNR songs that he plays piano on (at least the ballads: Estranged, Prostitute, Catcher in the Rye ). Also because I don't hear any other lower notes. And I don't know anything about music theory, still learning as I go, so sadly I don't know what a third is yet. Whenever I replicate a piano part for a song (like Prostitute), I usually just do it section by section, playing it back over and over again, sometimes in half speed to hear what other notes stick out. Then i try it out and see if it sounds right, or if it sounds off.

I managed to mostly recreate Prostitute's piano track (that Axl plays piano on) on GarageBand using the multitrack, and even then there was always one or two guitars going on in the verse, with the orchestra, and electronic keyboard stuff going on:

Edited by Mendez

23 hours ago, loosecannon3 said:

I'm relatively new to the piano and I am working my way though playing November Rain.  However, there has always been an Axl piano solo from 1993 that I really liked and would love to know how to play it:

I've tried to figure it out myself, but I'm finding it challenging, especially with him tuned down half a step.  Can anyone help me with the basics as to how he is playing each hand?  For example, is the left hand playing octaves only or something else?  

http://www.zechiel.com/transcribe/index.html

Pay this guy $120 and he'll do full sheet music for you.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 11:45 AM, loosecannon3 said:

I've tried to figure it out myself, but I'm finding it challenging, especially with him tuned down half a step.  Can anyone help me with the basics as to how he is playing each hand?  For example, is the left hand playing octaves only or something else?  How is the right hand melody done?

Thanks in advance!

when you get it down please post it! i love that song and we never get piano here :)