GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

On the positive side, Izzy always seems to have been very fond of his mom. He got defensive over his mom when he was a kid in that one story Dano Kildsig shared, and also called her a saint or something later on in an interview where he talked about his mom always allowing him and Axl to make noise in their garage. I also remember us talking about Izzy's mom giving Axl a Christmas (or birthday?) present. And he also kicked drugs at his mom's house.

Cool!

But there's something I don't understand.....

If his relationship with his parents and mother especially was so good, then why do people say Izzy wrote the lyrics to 'Bad Obsession', where he calls his mother a cunt?? :question:

---

@Andy14 loooooool that's an accurate description of hairdo :ph34r:

The original L. Boon Toon of the (imaginary) reunion phone call is available again.  It's funny, but after seeing Steven's recent interview on Jonesy's Jukebox posted on the Izzy thread, it has a bittersweet side, too.   I do like Izzy's quote, "You guys know how I feel about you as people, right?  Individuals.  I think you're all.......whatever." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, triad said:

The original L. Boon Toon of the (imaginary) reunion phone call is available again.  It's funny, but after seeing Steven's recent interview on Jonesy's Jukebox posted on the Izzy thread, it has a bittersweet side, too.   I do like Izzy's quote, "You guys know how I feel about you as people, right?  Individuals.  I think you're all.......whatever." 

:lol:

that one is soooo funny!! I loved Izzy's part better! and omg Steven! :rofl-lol:

I also liked this video by the SketchShe girls and since this is the Women's Thread, I guess it goes with the topic :heart:

*there's a Slaxl kind of thing for the fans of that :smiley-confused2:

• Like 2

On 5.5.2017 at 6:17 PM, killuridols said:

I think we are in sexist territory again...

Parents usually don't fear for their male children when they go out or travel alone or move out from home. With females is different and I guess that back then in the 70's or 80's, things were not as shitty as they are now. Also, not many ways to track them down without cellphones and Internet, especially if they didn't have a steady place to stay.

I agree with you in general, but in Axl's case... man, if Axl were my kid, I wouldn't be comfortable with him taking off like that. For various reasons.

It's not like he asked his parents for permission anyway, but I wouldn't allow it.

23 hours ago, killuridols said:

Cool!

If his relationship with his parents and mother especially was so good, then why do people say Izzy wrote the lyrics to 'Bad Obsession', where he calls his mother a cunt?? :question:

---

@Andy14 loooooool that's an accurate description of hairdo :ph34r:

Do we know for sure that Izzy wrote these lyrics? But even if he did, song lyrics don't necessarily need to reflect the personal feelings/experiences/thoughts of the song writer...

56 minutes ago, Frey said:

I agree with you in general, but in Axl's case... man, if Axl were my kid, I wouldn't be comfortable with him taking off like that. For various reasons.

It's not like he asked his parents for permission anyway, but I wouldn't allow it.

Yeah, but then Axl wouldn't have become the artist he is...... there was really no other way for him in this case. Parents wouldn't have supported him and he had to get out of Indiana anyway.

Had to literally "move to the city" :lol:

58 minutes ago, Frey said:

Do we know for sure that Izzy wrote these lyrics? But even if he did, song lyrics don't necessarily need to reflect the personal feelings/experiences/thoughts of the song writer...

No.

Well, I don't.

I always thought that was written by Axl and in that case it makes more sense.

I know the lyrics don't have to be necessarily autobiographical but saying that is not something that comes out naturally, not even in a fantasy manner.

Don't know.... maybe drugaddicts will hate their mother like that and dont give a heck about it :shrugs:

23 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Didn't Axl say his mum used to beg him to go home, whenever he called, and they'd put him through college ??

Or is that just wishful thinking on Axl's part, like having a good relationship with his stepdad? 

Where did you read that?

I never heard :confused:

(although... I think I may have....) :ph34r:

4 hours ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, but then Axl wouldn't have become the artist he is...... there was really no other way for him in this case. Parents wouldn't have supported him and he had to get out of Indiana anyway.

Had to literally "move to the city" :lol:

No.

Well, I don't.

I always thought that was written by Axl and in that case it makes more sense.

I know the lyrics don't have to be necessarily autobiographical but saying that is not something that comes out naturally, not even in a fantasy manner.

Don't know.... maybe drugaddicts will hate their mother like that and dont give a heck about it :shrugs:

Where did you read that?

In Mick Walls book. Not the newer version, the old one. 

IMG_3782.PNG.f6ca78a4ab25f6a0547d9e5c143f73ef.PNG

The same book that has the story about how Axl's mum noticed how much he loved music and she gave him a small pocket radio so he could listen to it. (I assume from the way it's written that the stepdad did not know) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

The same book that has the story about how Axl's mum noticed how much he loved music and she gave him a small pocket radio so he could listen to it. (I assume from the way it's written that the stepdad did not know) 

Oh.

Hmm.

I wonder where he (Mick Wall) got that quote from... :suspicious:

36 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I haven't read the old Mick Wall book, but I remember reading this quote somewhere before...

The source of the second paragraph though (about his name) is Gina Siler.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

I haven't read the old Mick Wall book, but I remember reading this quote somewhere before...

The source of the second paragraph though (about his name) is Gina Siler.

I'm sure I've read it in an old interview, unfortunately I can't find it online. I was too lazy to chop the second bit off :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frey said:

The song is credited to Izzy and West Arkeen. I don't think that Axl wouldn't have been credited if he had a part in writing it.

So it's either Izzy or West, but most likely Izzy because the lyrical style is similar to other Izzy songs.

And yes, the narrator/"speaker" (in novels, poems, songs etc) and the writer are not one and the same, even when the content has autobiographical elements.

• Like 2

Some "new" Instagram pics and others not so new but cool anyway.... :ph34r:

---

Who is that? Looks a bit like Erin but hell, no, it's not her :max: (cheater)

Cool Izzy

Weirdest Axl posture ever :confused:

Great Duff pic and the caption is wow! :o

TEETH!!! :scared:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Frey said:

But if your kid is 18, works enough to save up for a bus ticket, packs a suitcase and hops on the bus, how would you stop him?  Especially in pre-cell phone days?

On 5/5/2017 at 6:04 PM, killuridols said:

Cool!

Maybe I'm deaf but I think the lyrics on the demo are a bit different, I don't hear Izzy singing that. Maybe Axl changed a few lines but it wasn't enough to give him credit (as Izzy wrote most of them and the vocal melody). 

The NuGNR logo on an original GNR demo makes my eyes bleed!!

51 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Maybe I'm deaf but I think the lyrics on the demo are a bit different, I don't hear Izzy singing that. Maybe Axl changed a few lines but it wasn't enough to give him credit (as Izzy wrote most of them and the vocal melody). 

He's singing it in a different line (0:43)

Edited by Blackstar

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

Where did you read that?

4 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

Oh.

Hmm.

I wonder where he (Mick Wall) got that quote from... :suspicious:

He got it from an old magazine article or interview, nothing mysterious about it. Like @Blackstar, I also remember Axl talking somewhere about his parents offering to pay for college if he came back to Indiana (and I've never read Mick Wall's book, so I must have gotten that from somewhere else).

The thing I've never heard before is his mother buying Axl a radio (likely against the step fathers wishes) because she noticed he loved music. Did Axl tell that story somewhere? It would be the only nice/positive story I've ever heard him tell about his mother.

1 hour ago, triad said:

But if your kid is 18, works enough to save up for a bus ticket, packs a suitcase and hops on the bus, how would you stop him?  Especially in pre-cell phone days?

I'd hope my relationship with my kid was good enough to have a serious talk about this and either talk him out of it or come up with a compromise.

Apart from that, Axl was under-age in some of the stories he told. I think he mentioned being 16 or 17 when the hitch hiking incident happened for example. So I'd have been perfectly within my parental rights to put my foot down on this nonsense. (Whether he'd actually have listened or not is a different story, but yeah...)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

The NuGNR logo on an original GNR demo makes my eyes bleed!!

What a horrible shit :tongue2:

I think he does say it but the lyrics are not exactly how they ended up in the officially recorded song.

Thanks for the pics @Andy14 :heart: I woke up crying remembering where I was a year ago today haha Everything was surreal and so utterly amazing. From the badmouthing before the show, till the crowd start chanting his name and all those amazed faces at the end of the show, commenting how awesome he was. I was soaking wet - really wtf was with that flood? - but never prouder as a fan of that man. How I miss Axl/DC :ph34r:

• Like 4