GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

9 hours ago, purplestargirl said:

Axl, we here in the Women's Discussion wish you would smile. You have one of the cutest smiles in rock music.

In regards to the sweater, it looks like moths started to eat it.

Axl is happy,but he not communicate this his face........ ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Poor thing...He looks miserable :P Come to Europe we know how to take care of you :smiley-confused2:

57 minutes ago, killuridols said:

%2524%2528KGrHqF%252C%2521hsE-RcrILg7BP1

This pic looks a lot like 2017 Axl, wow! 

-----
I don't know if you follow all GN'R entourage on social media, but well I do - Axl's wrist or Slash's arm can appear at any minute, you know :ph34r::P Anyway Lucy-Bleu posted an insta story yesterday where she showed the Estranged dinosaur that Axl gifted to Slash. So the dinosaur is safe and all at Slash's house. Cute :wub:

Edited by dgnr
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, dgnr said:

I don't know if you follow all GN'R entourage on social media, but well I do - Axl's wrist or Slash's arm can appear at any minute, you know :ph34r::P Anyway Lucy-Bleu posted an insta story yesterday where she showed the Estranged dinosaur that Axl gifted to Slash. So the dinosaur is safe and all at Slash's house. Cute :wub:

That is Slaxl right there! :lol:

Thanks @killuridols for your report of the 80ies and 90ies. I must admit I did not follow Guns n Roses that close anymore from 1991. But from what I got and remember, they were never reviewed really positively. In contrast to bands like Nirvana or Red Hot Chili Peppers... All bands did make their fans though. And after 90/91 GnR got mainstream anyway. Then the media coverage changed. And also got more gossipy. If there ever were things like Guns n Roses Fanbook, I cannot say. Never seen anything like it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Yankee Crap that's not heavy metal enough because there "gals" in the crowd. :facepalm: 

Could you please explain to me, what does "has affected a rather award winning Neanderthal lumber" mean? I know the words but cannot get a meaning out of it...

I find it interesting that the author compares the "groupie girls" as well as the music to old things that were around in like '74, which was 13 years ago then. I remember those kind of reviews of the band from the late eighties. They said that GnR was copying Aerosmith, Stones, Led Zeppelin and some metal and just took the best hooks out of them and made a record out of it. I never found it justified though. To me they always had this groovy rock n roll backbone which probably is what those authors were refering to. I do hear the Aerosmith influence in some songs but that's not copying at all. 

--

Sorry, this here has gotten longer but I always wanted to know if any of you had the same "experience". :lol:

I remember from like 89-93 there were hardly any positive reviews in Germany magazines about GnR and their music. At least, I never read any. They were all very critical of the band, their drug abuse, Axl's behaviour and also shredded their live playing abilities. That is why I always thought - until I finally saw them live in 93 - that they were too drugged or maybe not even talented enough to play live well. I loved Appetite and Lies but wasn't sure how good they really were live. I know how weird that sounds. But authors were complaining about Axl not moving enough (during UYI that was), about him singing nasal, about the drums, about Slash not being half as talented as his reputation was like, of Slash not having a real "technique" and stuff like that. Between 88 and 91 I remember magazines (rocknroll minded and metal ones, the gossipy weren't that interested in them yet) were complaining that there was no new album, that they weren't touring (to Europe) and about them being too drugged up to be a proper band.

That probably is due to Germany not being very open minded to new stuff. It was an English TV channel that introduced me to GnR. (It was Mick Wall's Monsters of Rock that did. Gotta be grateful to the man for that. I watched it in 88 or 89 and Mick really loved them and always praised them, by the way.)

And no, I never saw any live DVDs or videos at the time. So when Youtube and the internet revealed all those UYI and later also the 80ies shows I was more in love than ever with the band and more hurt by their break up because I knew what I didn't knew at the time.

I just talked to an old friend of mine from back in the days. She was never a fan but of course knew them, their greatest hits etc. and knew I loved them. She also remembers that they never got played on German radio, except November Rain and some in 92 and 93. It was when there was no internet, no international tv (it was available but no standard and nobody really had it). She remembers the bad reviews too and also that they only got played on German / European (?) Mtv from 92 on with November Rain and all. The image she got from the band was Axl in tiny shorts being something like a ridiculous caricature of a rock 'n roll hero. There was never any real info about their roots, where they were coming from, their live show capabilities etc. And that also is the reaction of a lot of people of my age and slightly younger to GnR. So somehow their UYI success ate up all their 80ies rock 'n roll true to the bone achievements.

So, is that only my small filter bubble / circle of friends / coincidence of my life or does someone who is as old as me remember anything like that too? :lol:

I have similar experience, at least in regards to reviews...

Needless to say that nobody here knew them in 1987 and before they were No.1 in the US. There was a radio DJ (I'll come back to him later) who was very well informed and very good in discovering new stuff and predicting what the "next big thing" would be, but even he was caught by surprise (he said later 'how is it possible that I missed these guys?').

SCOM was on the radio shows that played the top 10s, but nothing more. Iirc, at that time there was one exclusively rock radio station (a bit later there was one more) with "genre" shows, and a few rock shows in general radio stations, but none of them played them. It was mostly through the videos that we got to know them: the public TV network was transmitting a few international satellite channels, and, after SCOM was successful, one of them started playing WTTJ and then PC; and in early 1989 we got free MTV that played all the videos all day, additionally The Ritz show, interviews...

We didn't have many music magazines; there were a couple of rock ones and a metal one, I think. Most reviews for AFD were not favourable. There were basically three groups of rock critics (and respective groups of rock fans - we had a relatively big rock audience for a small country being geographically far from the center of events): the classic rockers, who were the most positive (and it was mostly this group of fans among which GnR were popular), although some of them considered it merely an Aerosmith or Zeppelin rip-off; the modern/indie rockers (this kind of music had many fans as a percentage of the local general rock audience and in comparison to other European countries and America in the 80s), most of whom were in accordance with their British peers, and saw it as  'commercial', 'shallow', 'too metal' or, at best, a little superior than the glam metal bands' music; and the metal heads, who (the most fanatic of them) discarded it for ...not being metal, others for being too 'American' etc (I didn't read the metal magazine, but I remember the metal critics in the rock ones, and also the dude who did the metal show on the rock station saying 'I know that many people like them, but don't expect me to play them' - although he played everything that was considered 'metal' at the time, from Slayer to ...Poison). As a fan I was in both the first and second group, and sometimes I had to defend GnR to my friends of the second.

The radio guy I mentioned in the beginning was one of the exceptions. I must note though that he wasn't just a local DJ/music critic in a small European country; he has one of the biggest record collections in the world, he may own the record of the most long-lasting show (he hosted it for 40 continuous years -he retired last year- and I, and many others, grew up with that show), he has connections with the music industry, he went often to the US and the UK keeping up with what was going on, he has seen and met everyone from John Lennon to you-name-it, and he is one of the few non-American members of the RHOF. Anyway, the guy saw GnR in America in 1988 and he was blown away; he said 'I haven't seen a band like that in years; they have the makings of the greats' or something along the lines of. He supported them a lot, he was a big fan of the Illusions too and he was bashing the UK music papers like NME for not having them among the best albums of the year :lol:.

Probably this had a part in them becoming more popular (although I'm not sure they ever reached the levels of popularity that e.g. AC/DC enjoy here), at least until the peak of “grunge”, but I don’t think they lost fans because of that (they had lost some metal orientated ones with the Illusions), they just didn’t gain new ones among the younger audience that was getting into rock then (but they crossed-over to a more casual/pop audience with the ballads and the NR video).

I was regularly buying the local rock magazines, they had translated interviews and articles, but they didn’t write much about the UYI shows, what Axl was doing, etc. (many people didn’t read them anyway) and I couldn’t afford buying foreign magazines (I have a couple of RS issues and a couple of others, not all GnR related). The mainstream (general-not music) press didn't treat them like Madonna for example and they didn't write/talk about them much, at least until it was announced that they were going to play here (I remember some gossip stuff about Stephanie).  Of course there was the radio, we had MTV and most information was coming from there, but only if someone watched it daily, caught the ‘specials’ etc – and still, we didn’t know everything. I remember the ‘big events’ (St. Louis, Montreal...) and some other stuff, but I don’t remember having heard/read that they were constantly late, for example. This is why when they played here in 1993 and they were late, we thought (at least myself and the people around me) that they did it only to us; and about a month later, when Metallica came, James Hetfield said something like ‘are you having a good time? yeah, you are, since you didn’t have to wait for two hours’ and we thought he was talking specifically about us :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
added
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Lol. Yes, I can see Slash arm at the table and them kids playing with the little dinosaurs that are wearing knitted sweaters! :lol:

The rocking dinosaur looks to be placed at the entrance of the big room :ph34r:

There was a fanzine in the UK called Nightrain and it was issued every two or three months, it ran from 1999 - 2006. 

I loved it because I didn't have any internet  until about 2003 and the only other thing to get really was Kerrang, Classic Rock was quite expensive to me and NME and Mojo were just for the indie kids.  

I can remember being desperate to find out any information about RIR 2001 and was a bit disappointed with Kerrangs review of it because it focused a lot on Axl's looks, as I recall they had nearly half a page about a doctor who said he had had a very painful hair transplant, a lot more about his weight and even more about his "Ozzy Osbourne appearance" :lol:

So to have that little fanzine that had reviews in it from people who were actually there was amazing. 

IMG_4610.JPG.34326260590069fca32f736a40433acc.JPG

IMG_4609.JPG.f05586d3d5aba8db39118017ad00e26e.JPG

They also kept up to date with what the other AFD5 members were doing, which was great because Kerrang didn't. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

There was a fanzine in the UK called Nightrain and it was issued every two or three months, it ran from 1999 - 2006. 

I loved it because I didn't have any internet  until about 2003 and the only other thing to get really was Kerrang, Classic Rock was quite expensive to me and NME and Mojo were just for the indie kids.  

I can remember being desperate to find out any information about RIR 2001 and was a bit disappointed with Kerrangs review of it because it focused a lot on Axl's looks, as I recall they had nearly half a page about a doctor who said he had had a very painful hair transplant, a lot more about his weight and even more about his "Ozzy Osbourne appearance" :lol:

So to have that little fanzine that had reviews in it from people who were actually there was amazing. 

IMG_4610.JPG.34326260590069fca32f736a40433acc.JPG

IMG_4609.JPG.f05586d3d5aba8db39118017ad00e26e.JPG

They also kept up to date with what the other AFD5 members were doing, which was great because Kerrang didn't. 

Great!!! Great to know there were other efforts from fans around the world to keep the band alive.

Too bad Axl hated it all, fucking asshole! :bitchfight:

---

I got on the Internet in 1998 :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgnr said:

This warms my heart. To know how much they mean to each other despite the hatred and the wasted years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Sorry to interrupt too..... I just came to drop this bomb here :ph34r:

20ac3sk.png

#originalasseater #asseaterisback #newattacksoon #look4daclue #lol

:ph34r:

You're coming to a show in Texas!

2 minutes ago, dgnr said:

@killuridols never notice that Chile and Texas flag are basically the same haha So you're going to Chile to eat tha ass?? :o 

YES!!! I'll be rocking the house in Santiago de Chile next September! :headbang:
I just purchased my plane tickets and the show ticket I've had for a while but I was scared to tell, lol :nervous:

And no, they are similar in design but they are not the same flag :)

• Like 3

Just now, killuridols said:

YES!!! I'll be rocking the house in Santiago de Chile next September! :headbang:
I just purchased my plane tickets and the show ticket I've had for a while but I was scared to tell, lol :nervous:

And no, they are similar in design but they are not the same flag :)

Yep, looked too fast at that crumpled flag.  B-)  Congrats on another show!

41 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Sorry to interrupt too..... I just came to drop this bomb here :ph34r:

20ac3sk.png

#originalasseater #asseaterisback #newattacksoon #look4daclue #lol

:ph34r:

The ass can't wait :ph34r:

x6jRbgq.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

@MillionsOfSpiders I see the storm coming in D&N... Everybody will hate Axl on Friday... :unsure:

Ha! They will all be selling their tickets again on Friday morning :lol:

I haven't been checking D&N today, Ive been really busy (I'm playing Skyrim lol) but I can imagine what's being said!! 

---

@killuridols How awesome!! Another bite at the cherry :lol: 

Will be looking forward to following that show :thumbsup:

• Like 1