GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

So all the usual front row fans are there tonight in the front row. How do they do that? :lol:

Kissing asses :ph34r:

32 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Good Morning folks. Can't believe I wake up to find the show still going. When did it start? Anyway, no Izzy, no Steven, it sucks. Hate the show no matter what. :max: :anger:

lol good morning??? I still haven't gone to bed :rofl-lol:

It started like 2 hours ago, I think.... Yeah, no old GN'R so far....

Show is the same as all the others, so far, Axl sounds like Mickey (as usual) and Slash sounds fucking amazing.

• Like 1

Happy 30th AFD!

I just have one complaint: Why the posters with AFD logo and 30th anniversary plastered in New York if there were not mentions in the concert? I can understand the criticism from that perspective.

Also the final bow....Melissa was between Slash and Axl...hmmm didn't like it.

Edited by Georgina Arriaga

17 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Happy 30th AFD!

I just have one complaint: Why the posters with AFD logo and 30th anniversary plastered in New York if there were not mentions in the concert? I can understand the criticism from that perspective.

Also the final bow....Melissa was between Slash and Axl...hmmm didn't like it.

I think that was part of "doing something" just for the sake of it, so people wouldn't bother them saying they didn't remember at all.

But I feel that Axl hates AFD and hates to be reminded of it. That's why no word about it. Not a single mention of shit. Really lame and just another show that I don't understand why it was so hyped and made look as if it was something special when it wasn't at all.

I had fun watching one crazy woman on the front row, going wild and over exaggerating her movements with another dull woman right next to her who spent the whole night standing still and hating every minute of it :lol:

14 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Well good for them...it was free.

I want to hear people's impression of the concert...I know some from here went

What will they say?

That it was awesome, great, unbelievable and the best concert they've ever been to :shrugs:

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

But I feel that Axl hates AFD and hates to be reminded of it. That's why no word about it. Not a single mention of shit. Really lame and just another show that I don't understand why it was so hyped and made look as if it was something special when it wasn't at all.

I don't have this impression reading between the lines of what he's said over the years (it's the Illusions he has expressed some regrets for, and part of it is maybe for the same reasons as the videos, production etc). I think he's proud of it - this album made him what he is, and, after all, he's been living off it and touring these songs for decades (although he's clearly sick of some songs, SCOM mainly).

He hates/doesn't believe in anniversaries though. He did that "Appetite For Democracy" thing in 2012 just for money (as well as the beer commercial), because he had financial problems. And now he probably compromised to do "something" on the date without it being an anniversary show.

Having said that, we don't know what went on behind the scenes about this show. Maybe Axl's little intro to Out Ta Get Me in Lisbon wasn't random and Izzy was approached for playing some songs along with the current lineup, but he (justifiably) declined.

Edited by Blackstar

19 hours ago, Frey said:

Yet another example of "You can never know what's really 

Shit like this makes me feel amazed (and grateful) we've still got all of our guys with us. They all came so close to either committing suicide as well or nearly killing themselves accidentally. Scary to think about.

Hear hear. I often think about that too.

15 hours ago, Ubukitty said:

The Gorge and the Forum

What does this mean?

The press reviews were very good

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/07/21/guns-n-roses-celebrate-30-years-of-appetite-for-destruction-at-the-apollo-theater/

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/guns-n-roses-live-at-the-apollo-review.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2017/07/21/guns-n-roses-30th-anniversary-show-ny/498590001/

And Spin has a little recount of an interview made in 1988

http://www.spin.com/2017/07/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-1988-profile/

“Slash and I almost got arrested in Seattle,” adds Duff. “We went back there for a little vacation, we were going to burn some bar down. Then on the way back to L.A., we were drunker than shit, and we sat next to this kindergarten teacher on the plane. First she told us to calm down. Then she pulled out this book she wrote called From A to Z, and she read it to us, and drew pictures for us. By the end of the flight we were so tranquil, we went right to sleep.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't have this impression reading between the lines of what he's said over the years (it's the Illusions he has expressed some regrets for, and part of it is maybe for the same reasons as the videos, production etc). I think he's proud of it - this album made him what he is, and, after all, he's been living off it and touring these songs for decades (although he's clearly sick of some songs, SCOM mainly).

While I was reading some of those interviews links you posted the other day (about TIL) I got hooked on re-reading more than I was meant to do and in one of them he says he wants to bury AFD (this is pre-UYI) and that he doesn't feel like singing about bars, hookers, drugs and the filthy life anymore. That he wanted to evolve with the songs, the sound and the lyrics because Guns N' Roses was something like a living entity.

Of course he must be proud of all the albums he's made but AFD is the kind of album he said that could not be replicated and didn't want to make again. Unfortunately FOR HIM, that album will always be what catapulted him (and the others) to fame and the one that has become a massive seller and classic album of all times, so what else can he do about it?? In order to keep making money he has to milk it, sing the same sleazy songs forever and save face because there's no other music of his creation that is able to draw massive audiences to his shows :shrugs:

If he loved AFD, he would have done something special for this show, say some words, I dont know.... acknowledge the fuckin' album in some way or another.... but zero.... radio silence..... Bet my ass he will make a huge deal next year when ChinDem turns 10 :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, dgnr said:

Something positive from last night's show: SLAXL :heart: :P Small stage, Axl couldn't take his hands off Slash, right? Here's the first one. If we get more quality videos, we'll find more I'm sure :ph34r:

Small stage is great for Axl, Slash simply can't escape :rofl-lol:

Anyway, Axl's holding them both :heart:

20184271_330156654087382_3113673018392444928_n.jpg

20181328_155549771661575_6258871779637329920_n.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, killuridols said:

While I was reading some of those interviews links you posted the other day (about TIL) I got hooked on re-reading more than I was meant to do and in one of them he says he wants to bury AFD (this is pre-UYI) and that he doesn't feel like singing about bars, hookers, drugs and the filthy life anymore. That he wanted to evolve with the songs, the sound and the lyrics because Guns N' Roses was something like a living entity.

Of course he must be proud of all the albums he's made but AFD is the kind of album he said that could not be replicated and didn't want to make again.

Yes, but with all that he didn't mean that he didn't like it. He's said that he didn't want to sing about a lifestyle that he wasn't into any more and also that the album couldn't be replicated both for this reason and because it was perfect for what it was and it couldn't be outdone (and this is true). And he's been consistent in this regard, ie. evolution, since as early as 1987, before even AFD became successful (he said he understood older musicians that changed their musical direction).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, but with all that he didn't mean that he didn't like it. He's said that he didn't want to sing about a lifestyle that he wasn't into any more and also that the album couldn't be replicated both for this reason and because it was perfect for what it was and it couldn't be outdone (and this is true). And he's been consistent in this regard, ie. evolution, since as early as 1987, before even AFD became successful (he said he understood older musicians that changed their musical direction).

And I didn't say he didn't like it either...... When I said he "hates" it, I mean that he's fed up and tired of it and don't want to show any special feelings for it.

There's a reason why he said last year he likes singing the CD songs better than the rest. But one thing is what he wants and another the sad truth.

20 minutes ago, killuridols said:

There's a reason why he said last year he likes singing the CD songs better than the rest. But one thing is what he wants and another the sad truth.

Singing CD songs with Slash playing them is new to him and I think this is the main reason he likes them more. He also said he enjoyed singing Coma (apparently because he hadn't done that since the 90s, so it was kind of new to him as well).

But I also think that CD is still an "unfinished business" for him in the sense that he believes the songs are good and he wants them to be accepted by the fans, especially in the US. This is how he thinks; before the Illusions were released he said that even if they didn't sell, some day years later people would discover them and appreciate them; in 2011 he told Eddie Trunk that CD would find its way with the public - and probably he sees this tour as the last chance for it to happen.

This matter doesn't have to do with AFD though.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

The press reviews were very good

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/07/21/guns-n-roses-celebrate-30-years-of-appetite-for-destruction-at-the-apollo-theater/

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/guns-n-roses-live-at-the-apollo-review.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2017/07/21/guns-n-roses-30th-anniversary-show-ny/498590001/

And Spin has a little recount of an interview made in 1988

http://www.spin.com/2017/07/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-1988-profile/

“Slash and I almost got arrested in Seattle,” adds Duff. “We went back there for a little vacation, we were going to burn some bar down. Then on the way back to L.A., we were drunker than shit, and we sat next to this kindergarten teacher on the plane. First she told us to calm down. Then she pulled out this book she wrote called From A to Z, and she read it to us, and drew pictures for us. By the end of the flight we were so tranquil, we went right to sleep.”

So drunk rock stars are like rambunctious five-year-olds. That's giving me some adorable imagery in my head right now.

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Small stage is great for Axl, Slash simply can't escape :rofl-lol:

Anyway, Axl's holding them both :heart:

20184271_330156654087382_3113673018392444928_n.jpg

20181328_155549771661575_6258871779637329920_n.jpg

Duff's giving Axl the side-eye in the second picture. It's a threesome he does not want to be apart of. :D 

46 minutes ago, money honey said:

Oh, another thing bothering me is that I would love to keep with with this thread every day and join in all the real-time chatting. My life is just too busy (for good reasons of course - family, work)... I can only join in when I can. For example I missed most of the reports from other EU folks about their shows (London, Vienna, Prague etc.) where I gather lots of mind-blowing stuff happened including MEETING THE BAND and I missed it... I can only hope I find some time to go back, find that stuff and read it... 

Im sorry about that! The only solution I can think of is if @Frey  could index the reviews on the first page so that you could catch up on that at least. Maybe the girls who went to the EU shows could help Frey by sending him the links to the page where they posted the review so he doesnt have to waste time looking for that :shrugs:

• Like 1