GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

Hi as my birthday is 21 st July I celebrated afd at home with some songs at high volume while hanging out in the garden with my daughter. In the evening I put on my Gnr shirt and we were invited to friends who made a cool and relaxed bday party for me 

I was sad to hear that the apollo show had nothing to do with afd 5 

Have a nice day everyone

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Hi as my birthday is 21 st July I celebrated afd at home with some songs at high volume while hanging out in the garden with my daughter. In the evening I put on my Gnr shirt and we were invited to friends who made a cool and relaxed bday party for me 

Have a nice day everyone

Sounds like a lovely way to spend your bday evening! Happy birthday!!!!! ???

• Like 1

@Tori72 thanks for sharing!!

Some more reviews from the Apollo

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7873976/guns-n-roses-apollo-theater-siriusxm

http://www.stereogum.com/1953433/guns-n-roses-play-an-epic-set-at-the-apollo-as-appetite-for-destruction-turns-30/franchises/sounding-board/

And this article in Billboard contain some new quotes of people from those days:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7873768/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-oral-history

These days, the newly-ish reunited GNR lineup -- featuring guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan, minus classic lineup members drummer Steven Adler and guitarist Izzy Stradlin -- don’t presently give interviews. There are rumblings that Rose instituted a NDA/letter from a lawyer strongly encouraging members, as well as numerous former associates, not to speak about the band.

I don't get this part...I understand that they don't want to dig about the reconciliation, but why not interviews telling the reconciliation part is out?   Axl is bording on paranoia here, if this is true.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

And Spin has a little recount of an interview made in 1988

http://www.spin.com/2017/07/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-1988-profile/

“Slash and I almost got arrested in Seattle,” adds Duff. “We went back there for a little vacation, we were going to burn some bar down. Then on the way back to L.A., we were drunker than shit, and we sat next to this kindergarten teacher on the plane. First she told us to calm down. Then she pulled out this book she wrote called From A to Z, and she read it to us, and drew pictures for us. By the end of the flight we were so tranquil, we went right to sleep.”

This deserves more attention because it is hilarious :rofl-lol:

Axl was clearly right when he said they'd need a child psychiatrist. Or at least a kindergarten teacher, as it seems.

13 hours ago, killuridols said:

Im sorry about that! The only solution I can think of is if @Frey  could index the reviews on the first page so that you could catch up on that at least. Maybe the girls who went to the EU shows could help Frey by sending him the links to the page where they posted the review so he doesnt have to waste time looking for that :shrugs:

I was planning on indexing these anyway. I want to go through the past 100 pages or so of this thread and index everything of importance. I only need to find the time to do so lol.

17 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Singing CD songs with Slash playing them is new to him and I think this is the main reason he likes them more. He also said he enjoyed singing Coma (apparently because he hadn't done that since the 90s, so it was kind of new to him as well).

But I also think that CD is still an "unfinished business" for him in the sense that he believes the songs are good and he wants them to be accepted by the fans, especially in the US. This is how he thinks; before the Illusions were released he said that even if they didn't sell, some day years later people would discover them and appreciate them; in 2011 he told Eddie Trunk that CD would find its way with the public - and probably he sees this tour as the last chance for it to happen.

This matter doesn't have to do with AFD though.

I also think singing CD songs (and Coma) is probably less boring to him than singing the AFD songs for the millionth time. And I can't really blame him, even I feel bored by AFD by now and I don't have to sing these songs every other night.

And I think there's also this point I just made over in the Izzy thread

1 hour ago, Frey said:

I disagree about Axl having lost his passion for music. I just think he'd rather be making and playing very different music nowadays. I think his China Exchange comments about movie scores were very telling. And if you listen to CD without Axl's singing, a lot of the songs on that album could easily be the background sountrack for big, melodramatic movies.

Duff was forced to put in the effort in the past, because compared to Axl and Slash, he was in a much worse position when it comes to publicity and relevance.

And as for Slash, Slash is the guy who back in the early 90s according to Alan Niven said "I'll do whatever it takes to keep this thing going and to keep the money rolling in. I don't wanna end up as a starving artist like my father." I paraphrased, but that was the gist of it and it tells all you need to know about where Slash is coming from. Also, Slash has said many times that he doesn't actually like doing interviews and PR work and only does it because he has to to sell his music, so he's probably pretty thrilled to rake in millions without having to do any of that nowadays.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if Axl went off to do some big, epic movie scores after this whole NITL tour is over. He's good at that kind of thing and I'd definitely be more interested in hearing that than in some Axl/Angus fake ACDC album.

(Obviously, I'd prefer a new GNR record over everything else, but if we don't get that, then...)

I also agree about CD being unfinished business for Axl. Axl appears to be a big believer in shoving things down people's throats until they do like it.* Apart from the UYI thing you mentioned, Axl also applied the "Make them like it"-strategy to AFD and was successfull with that. He even gave that advice to Baz, iirc. So it wouldn't surprise me if he was still trying to achieve something similar with CD.

*One can't help but wonder if Axl was forced to eat things he didn't like a lot as a child. I have a friend whose parents forced him (and me when I was over :scared:)  to eat veggies, fish and other stuff he didn't like. And by "forced" I mean made him eat it, even though he'd throw it back up again a few moments later. It was ugly to watch and frankly I think it was child abuse. As an adult, this guy is now similarly tenacous and persistent as Axl and also keeps pestering people about shit they're not interested in until they give in.

(That was my armchair psychology contribution for the day).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7873976/guns-n-roses-apollo-theater-siriusxm

http://www.stereogum.com/1953433/guns-n-roses-play-an-epic-set-at-the-apollo-as-appetite-for-destruction-turns-30/franchises/sounding-board/

And this article in Billboard contain some new quotes of people from those days:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7873768/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-oral-history

I don't get this part...I understand that they don't want to dig about the reconciliation, but why not interviews telling the reconciliation part is out?   Axl is bording on paranoia here, if this is true.

Axl! :facepalm: I can totally picture Axl doing that and it would make sense why Steven suddenly stopped talking in - when was it - winter someday. I absolutely cannot see Izzy obeying to Axl's shit but Axl of course is safe with Izzy as he's not doing interviews anyway.

Slash and Duff love their money rolling in without need of PR work. So all's good for the paranoid Ginger.

What does he want to hide is the question here, isn't it?

(Still hating everything since the AFD30 prank except you guys and my beloved weirdos in the Whacky Thread. Just so you know.)

giphy.gif

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Frey said:

I was planning on indexing these anyway. I want to go through the past 100 pages or so of this thread and index everything of importance. I only need to find the time to do so lol.

That would be amazing, thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Greats reviews

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Axl! :facepalm: I can totally picture Axl doing that and it would make sense why Steven suddenly stopped talking in - when was it - winter someday. I absolutely cannot see Izzy obeying to Axl's shit but Axl of course is safe with Izzy as he's not doing interviews anyway.

Slash and Duff love their money rolling in without need of PR work. So all's good for the paranoid Ginger.

What does he want to hide is the question here, isn't it?

(Still hating everything since the AFD30 prank except you guys and my beloved weirdos in the Whacky Thread. Just so you know.)

giphy.gif

Agreed referring AFD30:facepalm:

10 hours ago, Natty said:

Have a nice day everyone

Happy bday, and agreed with the anniversary of AFD30

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

This is priceless :lol:

OFFHpMu.gif

:rofl-lol:

When I saw them live I was wondering how Slash navigates on stage in his "guitar state", maybe he just did not adapted to smaller stage yet (same people and stuff to play and things...)

Edited by Alja

NOW TAKEN - THANKS FOR THE PM.

Would any of you ladies like some free nail decals? I intended to do them for the London show. 

Full disclosure: They are pretty faffy to apply and need a white or neutral base to have a hope of showing up. I made the mistake of painting my nails deep red before applying and really couldn't be bothered starting again.

I know I won't use them again because I discovered I am quite frankly too lazy for such time intensive grooming. :rofl-lol:

If anyone is interested send me a PM.

guns_1024x1024.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Natty said:

Have a nice day everyone

Happy birthday to you! ??????

9 hours ago, Frey said:

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if Axl went off to do some big, epic movie scores after this whole NITL tour is over. He's good at that kind of thing and I'd definitely be more interested in hearing that than in some Axl/Angus fake ACDC album.

How do we know he is good at it and why hasn't he done it before? He had a zillion years to do it. :shrugs:

It looks to me that the industry doesn't want to deal with him and the delay of CD impacted negatively on whatever new fame he was planning to get with it.

9 hours ago, Frey said:

I also agree about CD being unfinished business for Axl. Axl appears to be a big believer in shoving things down people's throats until they do like it.* Apart from the UYI thing you mentioned, Axl also applied the "Make them like it"-strategy to AFD and was successfull with that. He even gave that advice to Baz, iirc. So it wouldn't surprise me if he was still trying to achieve something similar with CD.

But at the same time he doesn't understand how things work now. People have lots of options and will not do what he says or wants people to do. He's fucked over and the more time passes the hardest will be for him to do that.

Maybe he could re-release CD with a new mix and extra songs but he should do it now that the hype is back on GNR. Once this thing wears off people will move on and everything's gonna go back to the dark place it was.

I really doubt a new GNR album will ever outdo the ones released in the 20th century so he should just do something now. This is the time. Release something, whatever that is, and play it live. None of it will be a hit again so.... relax about it having to be a masterpiece.