alfierose

GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

17 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

It's just the impression I got from reading his book and some shite GnR books over the years that things got dialed up to 11 once Slash started working there, hence the extra attention from the overall manager. I didnt mean he went out of his way to get him fired.

Ah, gotcha.

25 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

He so reminds me of his former self of the 90-92 era here. The gestures, the facial expressions.... Love to see it.

But what was he saying, I have difficulties to understand also due to the bad audio. He was talking to a woman on the phone and she said she had a boyfriend? What else was he saying and what is the "joke" of the story.

Love the way he says "click" and hangs up the phone pantomimicly, putting down a reciever like in the good old days. :lol:

The girl also told him that the FBI busted into their house and arrested her boyfriend. The girl told the FBI her boyfriend was innocent because she had been with him the whole night, he was only gone for half an hour and it was something about 5 guys and a meat bunker. Axl immediately hung up on her because he didn't want anything to do with a girl who has a boyfriend that appears to be a killer straight out of a horror movie.

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, it crossed my mind as well when I posted it. But maybe it was a low rank manager like Axl was, someone who was in charge of a certain department or a certain shift. And although I don't know anything about Tower Records and I've never visited one, judging from similar places I don't think the managers (at least the low rank ones) were the suit types.

Yes, that's quite possible. It's just that Slash's words immediately paint a certain picture in your mind now after what we were talking about lol.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I haven't read Danny Sugerman's book, but wasn't he the one who paralleled Axl with Jim Morrison? I've read an article he did for Spin, and it didn't look like he hated Axl; my impresson was that it was more the opposite.

Yeah, maybe the reissue of his book is better, but once you manange to wade through the Jim Morrison comparisons and his thoughts about Dionysus there isn't much there but snide comments. As I remember. I didn't like it much, anyway. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I remember reading something like that too. I don't remember much about the Sugerman book except it was really boring and i never re-read it. I think that sleeping up on the roof story is from another author.

Was it one that really hates Axl by any chance ? 

Maybe I am confusing books :lol:

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Axl has the kind of presence and star power that threatens authority figures; they see someone like Axl as nothing but a “ringleader.”

Idk why, but that line always makes me lol. :lol: 

Speaking of Tower Records reminded me of this moment...

Oh Axl... Saying that he has a problem with authority figures is probably a gross understatement.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yeah, maybe the reissue of his book is better, but once you manange to wade through the Jim Morrison comparisons and his thoughts about Dionysus there isn't much there but snide comments. As I remember. I didn't like it much, anyway. 

I do remember thinking the author came across as a pretentious wanker. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I do remember thinking the author came across as a pretentious wanker. 

If it's the same one, I remember this corker of a line from him though - "Axl inexplicably started rolling up his white shorts on the legs and top until they became nothing more than a condom!" 

LMAO!! :lol:

• Like 4

Also I just listened to this...

On 28.7.2017 at 9:29 PM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

OK, so my memory was a bit fuzzy on the exact order of things but content is all there.  

9:00 - Slash's view on women 'crawling out of the woodwork and the guy has no responsibility'  Severely dislike that attitude but anywaaay...

12:40 - Axl is willing to sit down (and work on new album) Izzy does nothing

16:37 - Axl the topic.  Howard being a dick and Slash's "He's a sweetheart" comment.  Slash also recollects the infamous, "I'll kick your ass" while on stage with Axl, which he LIES about here.  That incident is still one of my favourite Guns 'soap opera' incidents.  :lol:

18:36 - "Don't put me in that position" to Howard, who is still being a dick.  "We're real close, we're partners" about Axl.

Can I just repeat what a fucking dick Howard Stern is?  If you listen to the entire segment...that guy...I have no idea why Slash was always granting interviews to him over the years.  He is a proper asshole. I've heard/watched a few interviews now with Howard Stern and either Slash or one with Duff and I can't stand him.  I don't think he was Duff's cup of tea since to my knowledge, Duff only gave one interview with him, and he didn't look at all comfortable.  Howard said creepy things about Duff's ex wife - to Duff!

:monkey:

And so today I learned... that Slash is circumcised. :confused: 

#ThingsIDidntNeedToKnow

(Weird though. I would have thought he wouldn't be considering he was born in Europe and everything.)

(Yes, I watched the entire thing)

But it's actually full of interesting bits and pieces.

Like Slash's "No, Axl is willing to sit down, it's Izzy who doesn't do anything" comment.

Why randomly bring up Izzy and talk shit about about him, when Izzy was out of the band for years by that point? Why would he expect Izzy to sit down with them and write songs (or do anything at all with them)? @Kris_1989 ???

Also Slash referring to Steven as "the hypocritical Steven Adler" lol.

And Slash taking shots at Stephanie Seymour. Again. :lol:

Slash: "I'm just waiting to see when it goes to trial."
Stern: "Axl claims Stephanie Seymour beat him up."
Slash: "You know what, I wouldn't be surprised."

LOL. Between this and the "Stephanie Seymour is useless" thing, it seems Slash really, really disliked Steph. Not that I blame him or anything, but it is pretty funny.

Only Axl and Duff were safe from Slash's little barbs in this interview.

More Slash defending Axl:

Stern: "I bet you're worth more money than Axl. I bet he's pissed away a lot of it."
Slash: "I don't think so. He's pretty smart."
Stern: "Seriously?!"
Slash: "Yeah. Trust me."

Slash talking about how he didn't get his nipple pierced because Axl had his nipple pierced, so he did his belly button instead was pretty funny too, in a weird way.

And this (when they were talking about how painful nipple piercings are): "You know what, there was a point there when Axl was pretty volatile around the time when he got his done."

Is he saying Axl was volatile because the piercing was hurting him so much after he got it done, or is he saying Axl was in a volatile phase when he decided he should have his nipple pierced? :lol:

And Slash talking about his childhood again. Man, I'm always so weirded out when he talks about his childhood. All that stuff about David Bowie dating his mom and Slash's 6th birthday party with all the naked adults and naked children. Slash says he was really embarrassed, but if it had been my birthday party and there had been tons of naked adults hanging around and they'd made us kids get naked too, I wouldn't have just been embarrassed, I would have run away screaming. :confused::scared::scared:  But then again, my childhood was pretty boring and normal in general, so what do I know.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Frey said:

Why randomly bring up Izzy and talk shit about about him, when Izzy was out of the band for years by that point? Why would he expect Izzy to sit down with them and write songs (or do anything at all with them)? @Kris_1989 ???

After the Juju hounds ended Izzy almost went back to GNR, so maybe that's why Slash expected Izzy to write for them? I'm not sure if they had another falling out or what happened but the material that Izzy wrote ended up on his solo record, 117°.  I believe this all was around the same time that Duff, Izzy and Matt played with Bo Diddley.

I'll try to find the Izzy interview where he talks about it if I can but for some reason the search function isn't working for me right now.

Edited by Kris_1989

1 hour ago, Frey said:

This thread is for everyone. It was the first thread down here in the Jungle of those threads that stick around. Izzy only has his own thread because @SerenityScorp created one at some point with the intention of learning more about Izzy. Somehow that thread stuck around too. But Izzy and Duff are perfectly acceptable to discuss in this thread as well and they do get discussed quite frequently (especially Duff and his family).

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification. :) 

1 minute ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

If it's the same one, I remember this corker of a line from him though - "Axl inexplicably started rolling up his white shorts on the legs and top until they became nothing more than a condom!" 

I might have to dig the book out and read it again:lol:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Frey said:

Also I just listened to this...

:monkey:

And so today I learned... that Slash is circumcised. :confused: 

#ThingsIDidntNeedToKnow

(Weird though. I would have thought he wouldn't be considering he was born in Europe and everything.)

(Yes, I watched the entire thing)

But it's actually full of interesting bits and pieces.

Like Slash's "No, Axl is willing to sit down, it's Izzy who doesn't do anything" comment.

Also Slash referring to Steven as "the hypocritical Steven Adler" lol.

And Slash taking shots at Stephanie Seymour. Again. :lol:

Slash: "I'm just waiting to see when it goes to trial."
Stern: "Axl claims Stephanie Seymour beat him up."
Slash: "You know what, I wouldn't be surprised."

LOL. Between this and the "Stephanie Seymour is useless" thing, it seems Slash really, really disliked Steph. Not that I blame him or anything, but it is pretty funny.

Only Axl and Duff were safe from Slash's little barbs in this interview.

More Slash defending Axl:

Stern: "I bet you're worth more money than Axl. I bet he's pissed away a lot of it."
Slash: "I don't think so. He's pretty smart."
Stern: "Seriously?!"
Slash: "Yeah. Trust me."

Slash talking about how he didn't get his nipple pierced because Axl had his nipple pierced, so he did his belly button instead was pretty funny too, in a weird way.

And this (when they were talking about how painful nipple piercings are): "You know what, there was a point there when Axl was pretty volatile around the time when he got his done."

Is he saying Axl was volatile because the piercing was hurting him so much after he got it done, or is he saying Axl was in a volatile phase when he decided he should have his nipple pierced? :lol:

And Slash talking about his childhood again. Man, I'm always so weirded out when he talks about his childhood. All that stuff about David Bowie dating his mom and Slash's 6th birthday party with all the naked adults and naked children. Slash says he was really embarrassed, but if it had been my birthday party and there had been tons of naked adults hanging around and they'd made us get naked too, I wouldn't have been embarrassed, I would have run away screaming. :confused::scared::scared:  But then again, my childhood was pretty boring and normal in general, so what do I know.

Yes, from reading his book, it seems Slash has never really led what we call a mundane i.e. normal life - ever.  He had an unorthodox upbringing to begin with (harmless, I think, but very unusual) and things might have been different for Slash had his parents not divorced, but once that happened - and this is key - once they failed to keep their promise to him of regular contact with both parents, that's when he started going off the rails.  He didn't see his dad for nearly a year.  This, after promising him he'd stay with his dad every other weekend.  Terrible.  So he went from unconventional childhood, to troublesome teenage years (shoplifting, getting expelled and all the rest of it) to...Guns n Roses.  That's quite a life to endure, when you think about it.

Sorry, @Frey I was wrong in my other post. It was Marc Canter who said they were trying to work things out with Izzy in 96', not Izzy. Here's the post where he mentions it:

On 5/21/2015 at 5:12 PM, recklessroad said:

No I din't think at thisw point in time when Axl no longer trusts me that I can reunite them, however there was a time where I could have helped up until 2007. What I said was if they can work out their differences the best place for them to get anything new out of them would be to come to a space where they can just jam together in the same room and build on eachothers ideas like they used to back in 1985/1986. I don't really believe in the pass a demo around and see what you can add to it thing.

When Axl called me in 1996 and told me that Slash and Izzy are back and that they may work something out. I told him the very same thing, go in a room with the rest of the guys and don't come out until you have a record. Why would I think differently now?

That doc just tells the story of me and my time with Slash and then gnr. It also showcases Reckless Road and it was a cool story and will help fans find out about Reckless Road that don't already know about it. For the people that already know about it, its still cool to see the way it was put together with the photos and footage. I think they still did a good job except for the the way they named it and a bit they cut out about working out their differences first. By the way the guy that directed it also didn't like the way they marketed it. Now that you know what it is really about, watch it again pretending it was called GNR where it all started.

I'm very proud of the doc but I think uproxx didn't have a lot of class to market it the way they did. At some point I will probably make one with the real name for my website.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@marlingrl03 Thank you for posting those!  What a lovely shot of Axl, looks bloody good there.  In fact, he's looking the best he has in years...  And Duff, well, he always looks good. 

YW! True about Duff and I just love it when he smiles...he is a doll. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

LOL!  It mustn't be Sugerman though, because his book was published in 1991, before the white shorts era :lol:

In Stephen's Davis' book there's this line (he doesn't like Axl either): "Later in the concerts, he pranced around in tight white shorts that outlined his pert buns and bulging crotch in vivid detail (Many fans thought this strange, and even a little 'gay')"

It seems that authors (and other guys) who don't like Axl have a fixation with his white shorts  :lol:

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:
2 hours ago, Frey said:

After the Juju hounds ended Izzy almost went back to GNR, so maybe that's why Slash expected Izzy to write for them? I'm not sure if they had another falling out or what happened but the material that Izzy wrote ended up on his solo record, 117°.  I believe this all was around the same time that Duff, Izzy and Matt played with Bo Diddley.

Yeah, I've been reading Slash interviews from the same period as the Stern interview (1995, when he was on tour with Snakepit) and there are a couple of comments like that about Izzy. He mentioned that Izzy went back and wrote with Duff, but he didn't want to deal with much (he said though it was all good between them and that Izzy played at one of his shows).

F- There's rumors about Izzy getting back...
S- Izzy agrees with writing stuff but he's not interested in touring... He doesn't want to deal with Axl y'know? The Rockstar thing... Like me, he just wanna play... We never thought GNR would become so big...

http://www.a-4-d.com/t637-1995-07-21-interview-with-slash

There have been rumours about Izzy writing for the next Guns album, leading to further rumours and speculation that he's going to re-join the band. How much truth is involved there, and how do you get on with Izzy these days?
"Izzy jammed with Snakepit in Chicago, and we did a Stones song, and it was great to see him. But Izzy quit Guns because of the same bullshit that sort of forced me to take off for a while.
"He's been writing; he wrote some stuff with Duff. He wants to write songs, but he doesn't wanna deal with the whole thing. And it took me a while to finally get to the point where I couldn't handle it either, y'know?
"He wants to write material, but he's not really sure what he wants to do. He's so laid back. He doesn't want to deal any pressure. Izzy does what he wants to do.
"As much as has gone on, and as much as I resent Izzy for quitting and all that, and leaving me in weird spots where I had to find a replacement weeks before the next leg of a tour, or if he didn't play on the "Use Your Illusion" records - which is for the most part true - looking back on it, Izzy's Izzy."
What do you mean he didn't play on "...Illusion" albums?!
"I had to double guitars up for him on most of it. He didn't play very much."

http://www.a-4-d.com/t638-1995-11-dd-interview-with-slash

This an earlier one (before Slash went on tour):

"When the Snakepit thing is over, and I've got that out of my system," says Slash, "we all seem to be pretty amicable about how we feel about each other as far as Guns are concerned. I just want to do a really cool Guns record, and I don't want to push it 'cause I don't feel like we have to rush it out to keep up with the Joneses. So when everybody feels comfortable doing that... I don't know exactly where [Rose's] head is at, as far as what that should sound like. It changes from month to month.
"But we talk," Slash continues. "We're fine. All the rumors and all that kind of stuff, it's between us. It's sort of like getting involved in someone else's marriage: You don't know what's going on, but people love to write about it. Me and Axl and Duff are obviously way the fuck more close and personal than they can even possibly put out in some magazine. That goes back to when Guns started, before we even got signed. The first quote that was in Music Connection was `They'll be great if they live long enough.'"
Drugs, and by proxy, death, are a big part of the G n' R myth, playing roles in song and in stage tiffs. "The only reason I'm working so much now," says Slash, "is that the last time Guns took some time off, that's straight where I went [to drugs], before the Stones gigs." (Which prompted the infamous Guns onstage "breakup" at L.A. Coliseum, with allusions by Rose to a certain band member who was "dancing with Mr. Brownstone.")
"This time around, having been really down and out and strung out and losing Steven [Adler, original drummer]...," Slash says. "Izzy, obviously, is doing doughnuts in Indiana somewhere. His own band doesn't even know where he is. I don't want to go through that again. I got off dope. It's been six, seven years."

http://www.a-4-d.com/t636-1995-04-dd-interview-with-slash

Edited by Blackstar
added quote
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

LOL!  It mustn't be Sugerman though, because his book was published in 1991, before the white shorts era :lol:

In Stephen's Davis' book there's this line (he doesn't like Axl either): "Later in the concerts, he pranced around in tight white shorts that outlined his pert buns and bulging crotch in vivid detail (Many fans thought this strange, and even a little 'gay')"

It seems that authors (and other guys) who don't like Axl have a fixation with his white shorts  :lol:

I think that must be the guy me and Jan are on about, the pretentious wanker one (not sugerman) 

He went on quite a bit about the white shorts and the hot pants lol

He also didn't like Axl's black combat boots and claimed he was wearing two sizes too big because he doesn't want to admit he has small feet :lol:

It went on and on like that for pages and you get to a point when you just think - oh FFS! There's more things to have a go at Axl for than his stage wear :facepalm:

EDIT: it wasn't watch you bleed, I have that book also and it was a book published earlier than that. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@MillionsOfSpiders maybe the paul stenning one?

I haven't read that one. Nevermind, at least we both read the same thing that he used to climb the roof to get out of the way and go to sleep, or else I would think I had lost the plot :lol:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think most men have an issue with the white shorts (whether they like Axl or not) and this is because of the patriarchy in which we live in, still going on in this time and era, and much more in the 80s/90s, where men aren't supposed to be a sexual object for women (or other men) and his attractiveness is seen as a threat to the other machos in the room. 

It is also jealousy and fear of that guy getting the attention of most females available. So the intention of those words is to invalidate him as male.

• Like 2

I'm here for you. Bonus: red bandana.

8 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I have never seen Freddie in white tight shorts :question:

4c421cb812dcd183bf0b2ac02a9d19a1--queen-

Edited by PaperDoll
Bandana
  • Like 2