GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

14 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Yes, and the voice of Axl when he talk is very deep and "macho" , love when he speak ?❤

Oh yes, I know how his voice sounds when he talks...you pretty much feel like melting butter 

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

I don't have recollection of any of this being said at the time :question:  Or at least in my country the media focus was more in the drugs and riots.

I'd yet have to read one of those "reports" where these suggestions are made because, honestly, from all the famous interviews and articles we've posted here there is nothing touching the topic.

Even more so, Axl was considered an homophobe because of OIAM, therefore an association like that would have been too contradictory.

Also, the romance with Stephanie was heavily publicized. Especially after those pictures for the Interview magazine, all the other celebrities mags would be gossiping about it and fantasizing with the wedding. So nope, no gay talk either.

This idea sounds new to me. Like revisionist history from people who either weren't alive at the time, or too young to remember or have some sort of agenda.

Like I said, Axl wasn't "accused" of being gay. It's also irrelevant to him being a sex symbol etc. The glam/androgynous style was "acceptable" and part of the rock stereotype in the 80s (it wasn't in the 70s). But his UYI persona was seen as "unfitting" to the hard rock macho stereotype because of a combination of things (the outfits, the costume changes, the piano, the diva behaviour, the "whining" etc). The whole talk had to do with this context.

@dgnr had posted a cover of a Portuguese magazine, which depicted Axl with a pink hair bow. And I guess you've noticed this kind of insinuations in the "fellow poster's" posts, who speaks in the name of the hard rock purists and from the perspective of an old American male fan.

Maybe it depends on the country, age group, type of fans etc and on what the focus was in each case. Here the drugs weren't a big issue, in the sense that  it was "common knowledge" that rock (and even pop) acts were doing drugs, so whatever negative talk wasn't specifically about them. There was a kind of hysteria about rock and drugs in the early 80s (and also about rock, especially metal, being "satanic", lol), but it had worn by the point GnR emerged. Even the riots weren't seen as something extraordinary, maybe because there were a couple of times when this kind of thing or similar had happened in rock concerts here (there was a big one in 1989).The mainstream press in the 90s wasn't concerned with them much, and when it did (mainly "lifestyle" magazines addressed to young adults), it treated them as "celebrity bad boys", which means not really bad. In general, they weren't perceived as "youth corrupting" and things like that.

The talk about Axl's persona was inside the rock fan base/press/radio etc. and among the rock fans; it didn't have to do with the mainstream media. For example, for people (mainly male) who were fans of bands like AC/DC, Metallica etc the UYI version of GnR, especially Axl, was soft and effeminate  (again, this wasn't directly about Axl being gay).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Like I said, Axl wasn't "accused" of being gay. It's also irrelevant to him being a sex symbol etc. The glam/androgynous style was "acceptable" and part of the rock stereotype in the 80s (it wasn't in the 70s). But his UYI persona was seen as "unfitting" to the hard rock macho stereotype because of a combination of things (the outfits, the costume changes, the piano, the diva behaviour, the "whining" etc). The whole talk had to do with this context.

@dgnr had posted a cover of a Portuguese magazine, which depicted Axl with a pink hair bow. And I guess you've noticed this kind of insinuations in the "fellow poster's" posts, who speaks in the name of the hard rock purists and from the perspective of an old American male fan.

Maybe it depends on the country, age group, type of fans etc and on what the focus was in each case. Here the drugs weren't a big issue, in the sense that  it was "common knowledge" that rock (and even pop) acts were doing drugs, so whatever negative talk wasn't specifically about them. There was a kind of hysteria about rock and drugs in the early 80s (and also about rock, especially metal, being "satanic", lol), but it had worn by the point GnR emerged. Even the riots weren't seen as something extraordinary, maybe because there were a couple of times when this kind of thing or similar had happened in rock concerts here (there was a big one in 1989).The mainstream press in the 90s wasn't concerned with them much, and when it did (mainly "lifestyle" magazines addressed to young adults), it treated them as "celebrity bad boys", which means not really bad. In general, they weren't perceived as "youth corrupting" and things like that.

The talk about Axl's persona was inside the rock fan base/press/radio etc. and among the rock fans; it didn't have to do with the mainstream media. And, again, it wasn't directly about Axl being gay.

I understand perfect this what you said,very good explicate ?

35 minutes ago, domino said:

Oh yes, I know how his voice sounds when he talks...you pretty much feel like melting butter 

Haha, nice analogy.  He's got a great speaking voice, very sexy.  Same with Slash.  Actually, Slash's voice has improved with age.  I like listening to him speak now more so than back in the day when it was slightly higher pitched.  I guess the same couldn't be said of Duff, yet he's just so endearing and likeable.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frey said:

- There's the famous one with Baz, Trunk and 2 other guys from May 2006. I thought this was also the one where Axl mentioned the piano story towards the end of the interview, but I just skipped through that one and couldn't find that part, so did he say that in another interview where Baz also was present?

- Then there's an interview where Axl was asked about dating someone and he replied that he had no one special in his life (I think that one was also in 2006 because I remember some people being like "So Sasha is no one?"). I think it was also in the same interview where Axl admitted being very sensitive about what other people and the media are saying about him, in particular I also remember him jokingly saying the line "When have you ever know me to be reactionary?" This interview is particularly mysterious to me, because I remember listening to it a long time ago, but I've never been able to find it again.

The bold parts are from the same interview. Not sure about the one talking about who he is dating...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8LEEtuO2oI&t=4518s&ab_channel=AnDreHBKBrasil

1:38:08 - Eddie asks "Axl, big on the Zeppelin or no?" and Axl talks about how D'yer Mak'er was the first hard-rock song he ever got into. He then talks about playing it on the piano but then his dad would "smack the crap" outta him cuz he would play the drums on the piano.

1:03:08 - "Do you pay attention to that, Axl? Do you care? Like all the speculation in the media and that side of it. Do you even pay attention to it?"

Axl: "Oh no, not at all! Never... No, I'm unfazed... When have you ever known me to be reactionary?" :lol: 

BTW, this is probably on of my favourite Axl interviews purely due to Baz's sheer enthusiasm. That being said, I think Axl does well on radio interviews in general and he should do them more often. In almost every radio interview I have heard of Axl's, he comes across as a person and not some larger than life persona that he is often made out it be. His speaking voice, of course, is an added bonus. ;)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Hmm...I also have no recollection of anything being said about Axl being feminine, or gay, or not masculine presenting enough etc...he was considered ridiculously sexy.  I'm old enough to have lived through the hair metal days (I saw Poison in concert 1989, yes, I loved them ha! Motley Crue too) and I can't explain it, we just didn't think anything of the way those guys dressed back then.  Except that they were fucking hot. :lol:  ...Sebastian Bach...women were crazy for him.

Remember Boy George and Culture Club?  Women loved him, too.  I loved him.  I drew a portrait of him for my high school art class because his braids were interesting and he wore so many colours and feathers and shit that were challenging to draw.  I honestly can't remember a single solitary person except for my father (being of an older generation) pointing out that those guys 'dressed like girls' or 'looked like girls'.  Crazy. I know.  Because now we look back and think, bloody hell, they really were feminine presenting (not so much Axl, but Poison and Motley Crue etc)   I mean, how did we NOT notice the lipstick and eye-make-up and spandex?  I can't explain it.  It was just considered the normal rock star way.  It was part of the rock n roll package.  

On a side note, I still remember how SHOCKED the world was when we found out George Michael was gay.  Looking back it kinda seems obvious now, but back then, total shock.  So to my knowledge nobody thought Axl was gay or presented himself in that way, or a girly way.  I think we all thought he was just doing his rock star thing.  And looking very good whilst doing it. :) 

Yes. This is exactly my experience and perception as well.... I don't know about Boy George, lol.... I remember he came back to the scene in the 90s with the song for that movie and I really liked it. I knew he was gay but I didn't think any special of it. Like you said, it seemed normal (in spite of everybody else disliking gay people) to me. Maybe as a kid, I wasn't as judgemental as the adults around me :shrugs:

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

@dgnr posted a cover of a Portuguese magazine, which depicted Axl with a pink hair bow. And I guess you've noticed this kind of insinuations in the "fellow poster's" posts, who speaks in the name of the hard rock purists and from the perspective of an old American male fan.

Yeah but what kind of magazine was that? It looked to me like a satirical one and I wouldn't give it any extra weight as to say "there was a voice out there that should be heard about this topic".

What those guys say in the threads is as irrelevant as the Portuguese magazine. It is revisionism and bullshit. Their personal opinions on what the guy was wearing cannot be presented as THE VOICE of hard rock purists... And listening to hard rock plus being old doesn't make you an authority of anything, really.... It's just another opinion :shrugs:

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The talk about Axl's persona was inside the rock fan base/press/radio etc. and among the rock fans; it didn't have to do with the mainstream media. And, again, it wasn't directly about Axl being gay.

But where did this talk take place? The square, the concerts, the clubs??

What you say sounds more like a generalization of I don't know what little chitchat happening in the corner of a street in a small town somewhere, rather than a substantial position from which to derive conclusions on how Axl was perceived by the public opinion.

59 minutes ago, Frey said:

I've forever been confused about how many radio interviews Axl gave in the mid 2000s (and maybe later on too).

I don't think he gave any more radio interviews after the Eddie Trunk one from 2006.

He talked more in the early 2000's... There's one he gave after the VMA's show, which is considered the first return of Axl Rose to the American music scene and there's one he gave to Argentinian radio, where he sounded weird, like very tired and appalled.

I think it is in the first one where he is asked about his relationship status but I'm not sure. I would have to listen to it again and I don't have time now, so here I leave the videos and you do the rest, lol 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The talk about Axl's persona was inside the rock fan base/press/radio etc. and among the rock fans; it didn't have to do with the mainstream media. For example, for people (mainly male) who were fans of bands like AC/DC, Metallica etc the UYI version of GnR, especially Axl, was soft and effeminate  (again, this wasn't directly about Axl being gay).

70s were the height of glam! Bowie, TRex, Slade...see Velvet Goldmine! Excellent movie about 70s glam. 

Prince was another artist who was flamboyantly glam and unapologetically heterosexual as well. Sexy Motherfucker. 

I think Axl was most comfortable mostly naked at that time. The layers of clothing now have more to do with his weight, trying to cover it, and it isn't really who he is. 

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

But where did this talk take place? The square, the concerts, the clubs??

What you say sounds more like a generalization of I don't know what little chitchat happening in the corner of a street in a small town somewhere, rather than a substantial position from which to derive conclusions on how Axl was perceived by the public opinion.

I edited my post and added an example for clarification:

People who had a broader musical taste and liked Madonna for example, didn't have this kind of thing with Axl's image.

And I guess all people here talk from their experience and recollection, and no one claims to talk on behalf of the "public opinion" everywhere.

16 minutes ago, PaperDoll said:

70s were the height of glam! Bowie, TRex, Slade...see Velvet Goldmine! Excellent movie about 70s glam. 

That was only a UK and part of the rest of Europe thing at the time. Bowie wasn't mainstream in America (and part of Europe) in the 70s and he had a hit only after he dropped his glam look. The American audience was more conservative. The New York Dolls, an American band, were totally marginal in their time.

12 minutes ago, Asia said:

A bit off topic here. I want to say that I HATE that Stump idiot, who caused the riot in St Louis and made the show short. I'm watching this show over and over again for the millionth time in my life and I think it is one of their best shows ever. Axl was in fact in such a great mood, so much band interaction there, the Slash's hillarious torn pants, Slash and Axl singing together in Dust N Bones, Slash trying to comfort Axl after he got that note from stamp (16:04) , Slash sitting on Axl's piano in NR with only shorts and socks on looking so funny dangling his feet in socks in front of Axl, Axl calling for Slash's shoes cause he didn't come out here to do stand up comedy and appologizing the audience for ignosring them cause he likes his band's company - all in all this show is full of such great moments... I just totally love it. If you haven't seen it for a while, do yourself a favor on this Sunday afternoon and treat yourselves once again ;)

I am absolutely going to treat myself to watching this evening, thank you! (don't you hate it when you're out of likes?) I actually re-watched Rock in Rio 91 last night.  I love that one for many reasons, but mostly Axl's vocals are awesome and for the Patience Slaxl moment.  Ritz 88 remains my no. 1 favourite. It's not perfect by any means, band isn't that tight, Axl's vocals hit and miss (though still awesome) but it just captures them a particular time, in a particular mood that I like to remember them best.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Haha, nice analogy.  He's got a great speaking voice, very sexy.  Same with Slash.  Actually, Slash's voice has improved with age.  I like listening to him speak now more so than back in the day when it was slightly higher pitched.  I guess the same couldn't be said of Duff, yet he's just so endearing and likeable.  

Slash then hardly mumbled for  effect the  drugs, now is sober

Good morning!

Great reading today...I enjoy very much 

@Asia yes! Perfect Crime for that concert! Axl is out of this world...he literally spit fire during that one

I have seen Highway to Hell and Big Shot from this friday like 1 million times...is perfection...

@Andy14 thanks for Meegan info

Edited by Georgina Arriaga

I think I'm having a different conversation, or misunderstanding everyone. 

The point I'm making in regards to Axl's aesthetic is that it's influenced by his heroes. Elton John and Freddie Mercury specifically were flamboyant and fashionable in different ways. That they were/are gay has nothing to do with Axl's sexuality.

By the time Axl was in little shorts, Kurt Cobain was wearing dresses on stage. 

Both Elvis and James Brown were considered flamboyant in the late 50s early 60s,and embraced that. 

Whether 70s glam was popular in America (I agree, it was part of a subculture) isn't relevant to my point, which is that Axl was aware of it and leaned heavily on it, both as a subversion, and that he was comfortable in it. 

The kind of dudebro that would call that out as being unmasculine is the person not comfortable and secure in his sexuality and sexiness.

Axl was comfortable in his sexuality. I'm not sure anymore if he's aware of his own sexiness. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PaperDoll said:

The point I'm making in regards to Axl's aesthetic is that it's influenced by his heroes. Elton John and Freddie Mercury specifically were flamboyant and fashionable in different ways. That they were/are gay has nothing to do with Axl's sexuality.

Both Elvis and James Brown were considered flamboyant in the late 50s early 60s,and embraced that. 

Whether 70s glam was popular in America (I agree, it was part of a subculture) isn't relevant to my point, which is that Axl was aware of it and leaned heavily on it, both as a subversion, and that he was comfortable in it. 

The kind of dudebro that would call that out as being unmasculine is the person not comfortable and secure in his sexuality and sexiness.

Axl was comfortable in his sexuality. I'm not sure anymore if he's aware of his own sexiness. 

Yes, we were talking about different things. I wasn't referring to Axl's influences etc or on how he perceived himself.

@KiraMPD and @killuridols Thank you for your help. I will try to investigate this now.

29 minutes ago, Asia said:

A bit off topic here. I want to say that I HATE that Stump idiot, who caused the riot in St Louis and made the show short. I'm watching this show over and over again for the millionth time in my life and I think it is one of their best shows ever. Axl was in fact in such a great mood, so much band interaction there, the Slash's hillarious torn pants, Slash and Axl singing together in Dust N Bones, Slash trying to comfort Axl after he got that note from stamp (16:04) , Slash sitting on Axl's piano in NR with only shorts and socks on looking so funny dangling his feet in socks in front of Axl, Axl calling for Slash's shoes cause he didn't come out here to do stand up comedy and appologizing the audience for ignosring them cause he likes his band's company - all in all this show is full of such great moments... I just totally love it. If you haven't seen it for a while, do yourself a favor on this Sunday afternoon and treat yourselves once again ;)

That Stump idiot actually was at the St. Louis show...

In case anyone here doesn't read out favorite source of news, Alt Nation :awesomeface:

tumblr_otsffaTe4D1vkt6tqo2_1280.png

tumblr_otsffaTe4D1vkt6tqo1_1280.png

You know who to kill now for ruining the concert, @Asia :lol:

10 minutes ago, PaperDoll said:

What a great point to make.  I'm going to ponder this.  I think he does still have something...even though I'm not sexually attracted to him, he still has a presence and a charisma and yes, a certain degree of sexiness but does he know it?  To me he's lacking a little confidence these days, though Apollo and St Louis saw a bit of a resurgence in this department.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PaperDoll said:

Don't worry in explicate not has drama in my case i just comment  pics  of Axl  and Freddie  , i think what  Freddie was look very gay instead Axl absolutely NOT,but not worry ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frey said:

Thanks guys.

Somehow I'd never heard about this before.

Wonder what went wrong again that time. Somehow they always screw everything up :rolleyes::facepalm:

Probably it was just what Izzy said in one of his 2001 interviews; he and Axl were in good terms again, but when the subject of the reasons Izzy had left in 91 came up, Axl was looking at his notebook what Izzy had said in 1982 :lol:. Izzy said "okay, whatever" and walked off again.

---

Transcripts of Axl's interviews in 2001-02:

- In Rio: http://www.a-4-d.com/t1683-2001-01-15-interview-with-axl 

- Interview with a radio station in Chile  (I think we had heard and discussed this interview and how weird Axl sounded): http://www.a-4-d.com/t1682-2001-01-20-interview-with-axl

- Interview to a Seattle radio (talks about a riot in Vancouver): http://www.a-4-d.com/t1681-2002-08-11-interview-with-axl

- Transcript of the Detroit interview @killuridols posted: http://www.a-4-d.com/t1678-2002-11-26-interview-with-axl

Axl was asked if he was dating someone:

Interviewer: Well it's great to talk to you Axl ... somebody here at the station wanted me to ask you if you were dating anyone, I dunno .. these girls here at the station, y'know..
        Axl: Ah, y'know, noone in particular... no .. no significant others yet...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Transcripts of Axl's interviews in 2001-02:

- In Rio: http://www.a-4-d.com/t1683-2001-01-15-interview-with-axl 

- Interview with a radio station in Chile  (I think we had heard and discussed this interview and how weird Axl sounded): http://www.a-4-d.com/t1682-2001-01-20-interview-with-axl

- Interview to a Seattle radio (talks about a riot in Vancouver): http://www.a-4-d.com/t1681-2002-08-11-interview-with-axl

- Transcript of the Detroit interview @killuridols posted: http://www.a-4-d.com/t1678-2002-11-26-interview-with-axl

Axl was asked if he was dating someone:

Interviewer: Well it's great to talk to you Axl ... somebody here at the station wanted me to ask you if you were dating anyone, I dunno .. these girls here at the station, y'know..
        Axl: Ah, y'know, noone in particular... no .. no significant others yet...

Thanks so much to you as well.

You and @KiraMPD and @killuridols just helped clear up my long-held confusions and half-remembered misunderstandings.

You're my heros for the day :lol:

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Probably it was just what Izzy said in one of his 2001 interviews; he and Axl were in good terms again, but when the subject of the reasons Izzy had left in 91 came up, Axl was looking at his notebook what Izzy had said in 1982 :lol:. Izzy said "okay, whatever" and walked off again.

Hmm yeah maybe :lol:

Although I was always under the impression that Axl mostly looked through his notebooks when he called Izzy late at night on the phone (at least that's what Izzy mentioned when telling this story I think). And I also somehow thought that happened later than the mid 90s, but as you can see above, I clearly fail at dates :lol::facepalm:

59 minutes ago, PaperDoll said:

No. Well, I did get your point but I disagree with the part of him being flamboyant because of Freddie and Elton.

I dont know... he had many phases, you know? In the 80s he would dress more glam, with the high hair and the female clothes but his attitude was totally different than those guys you mention.

Then he switched to something more British, the leather pants, jackets and those long trench coats sort of reminded me of the darkies.

In the 90s he changed again, added the tiny shorts but he kept wearing band tshirts or tshirts with messages and the flannels, rap or baseball caps... it wasnt flamboyant anymore. I think he is way more flamboyant now, with those huge hats and jewelry than he was back then.

Also, Kurt wore the dress but it was in a non-fashion way. Like a mockery of heterosexuality but still in a macho way. He did it basically to provoke and make fun of somebody else rather than becuase he looked great on it. He totally didnt :P

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Frey said:

Also I just listened to this...

:monkey:

And so today I learned... that Slash is circumcised. :confused: 

#ThingsIDidntNeedToKnow

(Weird though. I would have thought he wouldn't be considering he was born in Europe and everything.)

(Yes, I watched the entire thing)

But it's actually full of interesting bits and pieces.

Like Slash's "No, Axl is willing to sit down, it's Izzy who doesn't do anything" comment.

Why randomly bring up Izzy and talk shit about about him, when Izzy was out of the band for years by that point? Why would he expect Izzy to sit down with them and write songs (or do anything at all with them)? @Kris_1989 ???

Also Slash referring to Steven as "the hypocritical Steven Adler" lol.

And Slash taking shots at Stephanie Seymour. Again. :lol:

Slash: "I'm just waiting to see when it goes to trial."
Stern: "Axl claims Stephanie Seymour beat him up."
Slash: "You know what, I wouldn't be surprised."

LOL. Between this and the "Stephanie Seymour is useless" thing, it seems Slash really, really disliked Steph. Not that I blame him or anything, but it is pretty funny.

Only Axl and Duff were safe from Slash's little barbs in this interview.

More Slash defending Axl:

Stern: "I bet you're worth more money than Axl. I bet he's pissed away a lot of it."
Slash: "I don't think so. He's pretty smart."
Stern: "Seriously?!"
Slash: "Yeah. Trust me."

Slash talking about how he didn't get his nipple pierced because Axl had his nipple pierced, so he did his belly button instead was pretty funny too, in a weird way.

And this (when they were talking about how painful nipple piercings are): "You know what, there was a point there when Axl was pretty volatile around the time when he got his done."

Is he saying Axl was volatile because the piercing was hurting him so much after he got it done, or is he saying Axl was in a volatile phase when he decided he should have his nipple pierced? :lol:

And Slash talking about his childhood again. Man, I'm always so weirded out when he talks about his childhood. All that stuff about David Bowie dating his mom and Slash's 6th birthday party with all the naked adults and naked children. Slash says he was really embarrassed, but if it had been my birthday party and there had been tons of naked adults hanging around and they'd made us kids get naked too, I wouldn't have just been embarrassed, I would have run away screaming. :confused::scared::scared:  But then again, my childhood was pretty boring and normal in general, so what do I know.

Makes Me believe what Axl said  about Slash talk bad things about VR Boys is true

3 hours ago, Frey said:

Can anyone help me out here? I can't be making all of this up, I'm not that crazy (yet) :scared:

Call Me crazy but I ever read somewhere on internet tht Izzy works on McDonald after He quit Guns ?

Maybe it ia just Me but Axl with leathers,  cop hats,  chapless pants N'syrap pants reminds Me of gay bdsm:smiley-confused2:

I wonder what Axl will looks like if He crossdressing:lol: *Blame Fanfiction for this

22 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Also, Kurt wore the dress but it was in a non-fashion way. Like a mockery of heterosexuality but still in a macho way. He did it basically to provoke and make fun of somebody else rather than becuase he looked great on it. He totally didnt :P

I think Kurt's reasoning was along the line of Iggy's.

Mujer-Igy-Pop.jpg

But given the misogyny of GnR, I don't think they'd agree. 

• Like 1