GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

20 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The ig account did this "edit". I don't know if just putting an Axl pic next to the pic they got from this thread can be called edit, lol.

@killuridolshad made a "comparison table" some posts below the pic:

@Tori72 yeah, you beat me to it. What kind of "edit" is that :lol:

Catching up on the thread - I've never seen this before, so glad you posted it @Blackstar  Intriguing.  He has his mother's features for sure!  And yeah, can't believe that poster wants any kind of credit. :facepalm:

11 hours ago, GuitarFanfromNYC said:

I know, so sad! What will I do after work if I'm not chasing down live streaming footage of shows? Dishes? Blah. 

First time poster, lurker for a couple of weeks. This thread is so much fun! Hi everyone!!!

Welcome - again! LOL  And I totally agree with you.  I've been wondering the same thing.  What will I do of an evening to amuse myself?  

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Catching up on the thread - I've never seen this before, so glad you posted it @Blackstar  Intriguing.  He has his mother's features for sure!  And yeah, can't believe that poster wants any kind of credit. :facepalm:

Welcome - again! LOL  And I totally agree with you.  I've been wondering the same thing.  What will I do of an evening to amuse myself?  

At least we will be wondering what the next leg will be like and what they're doing right now. Maybe Susan and Meegan will keep us updated?

Secretly I hope my GnR and especially Izzy obsessions will wear off. I'll become a normal, sane and casual fan again and won't visit this forum anymore. The Izzylessness, no new music and failure to communicate of this band is exhausting me.

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tori72 said:

Secretly I hope my GnR and especially Izzy obsessions will wear off. I'll become a normal, sane and casual fan again and won't visit this forum anymore. The Izzylessness, no new music and failure to communicate of this band is exhausting me.

Don't say that, we will have plenty of fun, I'm sure

A very nice review of the second show in L.A.

http://ampthemag.com/the-real/concert-review-guns-n-roses-rock-forum-second-three-la-homecoming-shows/

This one too:

http://www.ocweekly.com/music/guns-n-roses-return-to-the-jungle-triumphant-for-last-leg-of-us-lifetime-tour-8600826

Edited by Georgina Arriaga

@BorderlineCrazy]

I know what you mean, despite some of our differences of opinion. :P  For most of the year I was a skeptic.

I guess, looking back it was always going to take time for those guys to develop a bond.  I mean the whole band.  You think about it, Frank, Richard, Melissa and Dizzy had a dynamic with Axl.  In comes iconic original members Slash and Duff.  How's that going to change the dynamic?  Everyone would be trying not to step on toes.  Slash and Duff would be trying not to be coming across as dicks to the others and the others would be trying not be intimidated.  Probably everyone would be trying to be cool while not feeling particularly cool.  Everyone's relationships with Axl would have changed a bit.  And Axl and Slash would have had a huge friendship gap to bridge.  It's one thing to be civil and to draw a line under a lot of ugly shit that went down, and quite another to rekindle the old flame.  That sort of thing takes time.  

I think it's obvious now that everyone in the band has got a tour bond going and Axl and Slash have definitely got some of their old spark back.  And the CD songs now sound great! ha!

That's what's got me hopeful for GNR's future. The fact they're ending this part of the tour on a positive note.  Sold out, or almost sold out, shows everywhere for the past 18 months or however long it's been, good reviews and press, no disasters, no cancellations, no late starts, Axl happy, everybody happy, Duff releasing new music, heck even Dizzy releasing music - who'd have predicted that? :blink:  All the extended family, kids, associates apparently getting on.   

The only thing left to ask for (besides Izzy and Steven) is new music and I'm still positive that's around the corner.  With everything going so well and Axl so obviously in a good place, I don't see what they wouldn't make new music.  

Edit: as for going through the motions - all the big bands do that.  Heck, even the smallish band I saw last week, Royal Blood, played a repeat of their Glastonbury gig, same stunts and tricks and what have you.  I think it's normal, though obviously not so entertaining when you've seen it so many times!

@MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle I love your optimism about new music but i'm still doubtful that Axl has the creativity to write anymore. I don't mean that in a trolling sense i just think if he could still write why hasn't he done so before? 

I do believe he's in a much better place (mentally) but he wrote the best songs when he wasn't . On my recent checking out of CD i did think the writing-lyrically- was pretty bad which to me doesn't bode well in regards to new material.

I hope i'm wrong.

He needs Izzy.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

You think I'm joking when I say he's got Slash back but I'm not.  No proof of any kind of course, but after what I've read and watched and all the rest of it, it's my opinion that Axl didn't release anything (we don't know if not releasing anything = not writing anything by the way) after CD because he wasn't inspired to.  

Unfortunately, Axl is that creative type who relies heavily on inspiration, he has said so himself, rather than self-discipline.  Slash inspires him.  He always has done.  When Izzy left, that was a huge blow to Axl.  But he survived and continued to write.  When Slash left, it took him years to start writing and singing again.  He even admitted Slash's leaving left him creatively spent.  We can see and hear for ourselves how pleased he is with Slash's efforts on the tour.   So it's my hope that now the two of them are looking comfortable with one another again, music will follow.  

Edit: he was most definitely not in a good place for the making of CD.  So if you think the CD lyrics are bad, it's not because he was happy. lol

• Thanks 1

What did Axl write after Izzy left? UYI was out. :)

I'm not even saying Axl needs Izzy. I don't know if those guys, Axl, Slash, Izzy could work together again. They all grew up and became very different from what had been the case back in 1985. Sorry. Magic won't happen again. So, yeah. That is it. :shrugs:

18 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Edit: he was most definitely not in a good place for the making of CD.  So if you think the CD lyrics are bad, it's not because he was happy. lol

I think he hasn't been happy for many, many years but i do believe he's more contented and somewhat happier now but i dunno if Slash alone is enough to inspire him. I think it must be hard work being Axl Rose .

53 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I guess, looking back it was always going to take time for those guys to develop a bond.  I mean the whole band.  You think about it, Frank, Richard, Melissa and Dizzy had a dynamic with Axl.  In comes iconic original members Slash and Duff.  How's that going to change the dynamic?  Everyone would be trying not to step on toes.  Slash and Duff would be trying not to be coming across as dicks to the others and the others would be trying not be intimidated.  Probably everyone would be trying to be cool while not feeling particularly cool.  Everyone's relationships with Axl would have changed a bit.  And Axl and Slash would have had a huge friendship gap to bridge.  It's one thing to be civil and to draw a line under a lot of ugly shit that went down, and quite another to rekindle the old flame.  That sort of thing takes time.

I agree with this. Slash and Axl didn't talk for 20 years! They are touring and everything is good, but we don't know if they click in the creative department together.

39 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I don't mean that in a trolling sense i just think if he could still write why hasn't he done so before? 

We don't know this....it looks the problem is releasing things, he has a self steem problem in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

What did Axl write after Izzy left? UYI was out.

Chinese Democracy....jeje

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@BorderlineCrazy]

I know what you mean, despite some of our differences of opinion. :P  For most of the year I was a skeptic.

I think it's obvious now that everyone in the band has got a tour bond going and Axl and Slash have definitely got some of their old spark back.  And the CD songs now sound great! ha!

That's what's got me hopeful for GNR's future. The fact they're ending this part of the tour on a positive note.  Sold out, or almost sold out, shows everywhere for the past 18 months or however long it's been, good reviews and press, no disasters, no cancellations, no late starts, Axl happy, everybody happy, Duff releasing new music, heck even Dizzy releasing music - who'd have predicted that? :blink:  All the extended family, kids, associates apparently getting on.   

The only thing left to ask for (besides Izzy and Steven) is new music and I'm still positive that's around the corner.  With everything going so well and Axl so obviously in a good place, I don't see what they wouldn't make new music.  

Edit: as for going through the motions - all the big bands do that.  Heck, even the smallish band I saw last week, Royal Blood, played a repeat of their Glastonbury gig, same stunts and tricks and what have you.  I think it's normal, though obviously not so entertaining when you've seen it so many times!

I think my time of being optimistic is too far gone. I don't see a close relationship between Slash/Duff and Axl's employees. They get along well but they rarely hang out or anything. Slash and Duff even seem to be as distant with Dizzy Reed as they were when Axl first forced him into the band. It all looks like business to me. The only extended family I see is Slash and Duff's families, they're like one big family, not two. 

Is this a good moment to release new music? Of course it is but I don't have a good reason to justify Axl barely releasing music at all in the last 25 years so he doesn't need a good reason to not release anything. I disagree with your idea that he couldn't do anything without Slash, that he was uninspired and depressed and all that without him. I mean, of course he was at one point when he lost everyone but I'm sure at some point he was excited and wanting to release stuff too. He was really happy with Buckethead and he told Marc Canter that Robin was gonna be his Randy Rhoads.

Also, IMO Chinese Democracy songs are sounding exactly the same way as they were in April 2016. The only things that chance from show to show are Axl's voice and Slash's solos. Personally, I rather listen to the album versions than see Slash playing them.

Big bands do go through the motion in certain aspects but not in the embarrassing way GNR do. Metallica, AC/DC and The Stones kept releasing albums. Metallica let the fans choose the setlist during a whole tour. And the funniest thing, AC/DC changed their setlist and brought some oldies back AT AXL'S REQUEST!!! Yet, he can't do that with his own fn' band and play Dead Horse for example. As Duff would say, fucked up beyond belief.

48 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I still think Axl is capable of writing decent songs too @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

You're not alone :lol:

I'm sure I'll get told I'm an idiot in 3 2 1...

Hmm, I think the exact same thing. In fact, I'm sure he has plenty of cool songs he did with Bucket, Robin, Brain, etc.

Now, is he capable of actually releasing songs? :ph34r:

41 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

Can I be an idiot with you then? :headbang: I also think he still can write. Only time will show.

If I didn't know the band and only read this forum I would think that Axl has never written a single song and all of them were written solely by Izzy, Slash and (a little) Duff :smiley-confused2::shrugs:

The time thing is relative. If he doesn't release anything else, I will keep believing he was capable of doing it.

I don't know what would make you believe that. If Axl had never written anything, there would be no expectations for him to do now either just as no one is expecting Steven to come up with songs himself. Can't speak for other people but in my case, it disappoints the shit out of me that Axl is stupid enough to not release anything exactly because I know how awesome he is and I'm 232.54% sure I would enjoy a lot of the stuff he released.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Why he is not able to release songs? your opinion of course....I'm really curious....I think is a self steem problem

I don't have a firm theory, it could be many things. For many reasons (mostly, Axl's fault) Chinese Democracy was really hard to finish and release. It looks to me like all the problems he had to get one album out, the fact that almost all the guys left his band one by one and the harsh reaction he got from most fans made him throw in the towel. At some point he seems to have lost the drive and the interest in putting new music out.

To sum it up, I think he made terrible decisions (using the GNR name being the worst one) and found himself in a situation where he felt he had to fight the entire world pretty much. That must have been exhausting but as far as I'm concerned, it's something he brought on himself and it's a shame.

On 11/26/2017 at 8:21 AM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Assuming everyone here is familiar with Syd and his  GNR channel, but holy heck would I love to do this.  Imagine sitting in that booth?? Ha! Wonder if we'll get an interview with Marc Canter coming up?  ;) Of course I would want to sit where Duff sat. ^^

On 11/26/2017 at 8:43 AM, Tori72 said:

Do regular people actually get to sit in that booth? :lol: Blasphemy! :lol:

On 11/26/2017 at 9:38 AM, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I'm pretty sure he has that famous pic framed and on the wall where that booth is and that's how everyone knows they're sat at the right table. 

Its a brand now that is - 'Guns N' Roses was here' :lol:

I've sat in that same booth before also. They have the famous photo on the wall there.