GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

4 hours ago, killuridols said:

For babies and toddlers, you put a rug or one of these things. They are made for crawling in a safe environment - which is not the plain floor - :rolleyes:

gateadores-guarderias.jpg

Like I said before, I don't walk around my house with my shoes on if I'm back for good and gonna stay in. I put on my slippers and I do it mostly for a comfort reason rather than hygiene. I have never caught a disease originated by the use of street shoes inside the house. It is always another human being that passes their viruses to me, in an office, the bus, the shopping mall... That kind of places.

We never take our shoes off when we go to other people's houses. It is not our custom and our weather is not as bad to make our shoes incredibly dirty with mud, snow, water, etc.

I live in a major city in Argentina. We have asphalt and sidewalks for the most part. There's urban cleaning that, more or less, do their jobs fine. It is quite unlikely that you step on dead animals, dog shit, urine and that kind of stuff. But I understand it's also impossible to keep the streets 100% clean. These people are oftenly seen around where I live...

image5865b7184f7823.11440010.jpg

The hygiene of a house it is something their owners are in charge of. Not their guests or friends or relatives. So, that's not the custom here.

If your visits make your floor dirty, you clean after they are gone and that's it. The other way it is seen as something quite rude and it is very odd you'll be asked to take your shoes off when you visit someone (unless they are visible dirty or wet).

This is very interesting and something Los Angeles needs very badly. People let their dogs crap on the sidewalk and don't clean it and throw their trash wherever they please, especially the beach. We have the money but they would never use it for something like this. As far as shoes inside go, I always wear my shoes inside my home and when I visit someone, unless they ask me to remove them and then it's usually because they have carpeting and not hardwood floors or tile. I always like to see pics of other countries and how things work there.

1 hour ago, SerenityScorp said:

:rofl-lol:

Is tht Slash?

Need good quality of tht to make it into My avatar :ph34r:

Would be a funny avatar , although the one you have now is fucking hilarious :rofl-lol:

I like your Stash   name rather than Slaven, :lol:,  yours, stash,  sounds better, haha

anyways it's beautiful Slaxl:wub: I'm obsessed with,  

Edited by melina i

4 hours ago, Sekh-met said:

Would go well with your dinner outfit! B-)

I wish I could say I see that my taxes are put to good use, such as cleaning the streets..or anything other than someones pockets.

When the weather is fine and everything is dry outside it is mostly ok and the shoes are not all that dirrty..but other times something like this can happen:

People make jokes here that this happens in one particular club..and it is rather accurate :rofl-lol: and this is not even my final form ..j/k

Nothing can be perfectly clean, it is just impossible. As you said it is in the air and the dust settles immediately after you clean something, this however applies to everything around us..not just the floor. Kids here crawl around the floors..and everywhere..they are and unstoppable force lol. I know I ate stuff from the pavements on numerous occasions when I was a kid and mom was not looking..I say it was good for my immune system when someone goes eeeww :awesomeface:

OH-EM-GEE what-da-hell!!!

:wow:

That is insane but also... If you know there's gonna be mud like that in the place, why would you wear such fancy shoes?

Some women are :facepalm:

Lol, we all have picked stuff from the floor to eat, thrown ourselves in floors that are not our home's, put our fingers in the socket and defied everything our parents said "no" but that's what parents are for: to put you back in your place and teach you right.

3 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Ain't it a bit......small? :wow: Children usually crawl everywhere and are faster than you think, so trying to keep them at such a small mat may seem mission impossible :shock:. Well, at least all the children I know :nervous:

Anyway, taking off one's shoes is a matter of habit or some cultural norm. I will definitely not take my shoes off when I come visit you guys, who don't do it at your homes. :rofl-lol: (even though I'm sure nobody will invite me after this discussion) However, if I'm not sure I will ask the host whether to take my shoes off or not. 

If somebody stops by and insists on keeping their shoes on (and the shoes are clean), I have no problems with that, but they probably won't be allowed in a room with a carpet or put their shoes on my sofa or tea table. :anger::P So, sorry Axl. Lol. Omg, only the idea of his horrendous boots on my beige sofa gives me nightmares :scared::no:. It got me thinking...@dgnr Don't forget to add this to our Women's thread European party invitation - "NO FUGLY BOOTS ALLOWED INSIDE" :max:

Really funny discussion, btw., I always like learning about various cultural differences and when abroad I respect their local laws and customs, even though I feel like an idiot sometimes or find myself in embarassing situations when I try doing things my way. :lol:

I think you can make it bigger since its resizable. 

Yes, children crawl fast because they are left to crawl on the plain floor, which is absolutely wrong 

Mission impossible, maybe.. but never take your eyes off a toddler or baby that crawls. You should not give them that much space to do that because the moment you do, you could seriously regret it later.

Why do you associate leaving shoes on with ALSO putting feet on the sofa or table? :crazy:

That is totally wrong. Looks like doing this is inappropriate and a sign of being uneducated almost everywhere. However, leaving shoes on has nothing to do with putting your feet up on tables or sofas, which I think it is rude (even if you don't have your shoes on) if you do it at someone else's house (unless the level of confidence with that person allows you to do it).

3 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Love how upset @killuridols is with the no-shoes policy. It's like she's about to start the WWIII because of this :rofl-lol:

Of course, man. These people are nuts.

They complain about shoes but they don't have bidets in their bathrooms. :crazy:

1 hour ago, dgnr said:

Found this pic on instagram, thought it belongs here :shrugs:

17267324_142980492892491_173467095937948

am I seeing ass?!? :wow:

45 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Same here in southeastern Mediterranean... It's not a cultural norm to take our shoes off when we go to someone else's house. It's probably because the weather conditions here are are similar to yours; it's warm for a large part of the year and we have our windows open for most of the day (we open them for a while even when it's cold to air the rooms), so dust from outside gets in anyway, and for this reason we clean our houses very often.  We have small carpets outside the front door for people to wipe their shoes. The only cases we take our shoes off  (besides when we are in our own house), are either when we are lodged (so of course we take our shoes off like the house owners do) or when it's rainy and muddy outside (but even then it's on someone's discretion and we don't ask it from our guests).

But of course we don't put our feet on the sofa with our shoes on :lol:

Glad to know there's some normality going on, looool :lol:

Yes, that's how it is here and for the same reason. Also, it is considered an act of courtesy that if you just arrived to a house with wet feet or muddy shoes, you stay at the door, inform the owner that your shoes are dirty and ask for some cloth or whatever they have, for you to clean them. 

Other people wear rain boots and bring the clean shoes in a bag, so they can change at the entrance. But no one is ever left barefoot or in socks. That would be rude.

32 minutes ago, Ubukitty said:

This is very interesting and something Los Angeles needs very badly. People let their dogs crap on the sidewalk and don't clean it and throw their trash wherever they please, especially the beach. We have the money but they would never use it for something like this. As far as shoes inside go, I always wear my shoes inside my home and when I visit someone, unless they ask me to remove them and then it's usually because they have carpeting and not hardwood floors or tile. I always like to see pics of other countries and how things work there.

Wow. I thought first world would work better than third :P

It is a struggle, though and also a matter of education of the population. Argentina is a large country and we have all kind of places. Some cities may be cleaner than others but we do have some places that are models of urban cleaning, so the rest of the country tries to copy and apply the rules and norms that have been proven to work.

It is also a source of employment for lots of people who have it hard to find jobs, so I support it 100%.

The dog crap it is a problem, indeed, and in my city for example, they have started to apply fines to people who do not pick up their dogs stuff. There is also publicity aimed to educate dog owners on this regard. Not everybody is a great citizen but we are making an advance (like we also got rid of the indoors smokers).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frey said:

I'm sorry, but this is crazy talk and complete nonsense.

Little children absolutely need to move around on the floor as much as they want and explore their world as much as possible. Movement is good for them just like it is for adults and its good for their mental development too.

Keeping them trapped on a small pad like the one you posted earlier is insane and I don't know anyone who does that. Everyone I know who has little children lets them crawl up and down the hallways and all around the rooms. That's just what little kids do and confining them like that is actually kind of cruel and unnatural.

This is true my kids all crawled on the floor, i did use a mat like she said when they were tiny but they have to explore. Stairgates and other precautions are also used. Kids need to have some contact with germs to build their immunity.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Frey said:

Little children absolutely need to move around on the floor as much as they want and explore their world as much as possible. Movement is good for them just like it is for adults and its good for their mental development too.

Keeping them trapped on a small pad like the one you posted earlier is insane and I don't know anyone who does that. Everyone I know who has little children lets them crawl up and down the hallways and all around the rooms. That's just what little kids do and confining them like that is actually kind of cruel and unnatural.

I never said kids should not move around or play. I talked about using a pad or blanket so they don't crawl on the plain floor. 

The rest of your post is just bicker so I won't engage. 

41 minutes ago, Frey said:

Little children absolutely need to move around on the floor as much as they want and explore their world as much as possible (as long as it's reasonably safe to let them of course). Movement is good for them just like it is for adults and its good for their mental development too.

Hi Frey! :)

This, pretty much. The only time I've ever seen anyone using those pads is when they're outside somewhere and don't want their baby rolling around in the sand or dirt.

For the "visiting people - shoes on or off" thing, I follow whatever cue I am given when I enter someone's home. I actually always ask if they want me to take my shoes off or not. In my home, I always take them off. In addition to the dirt/grime thing, it's just more comfortable to be in socks and slippers for me.

I suppose a lot of it does depend on where one lives, too. If you' live in a major city like I do, where there are people puking and peeing on the streets, and people letting their dogs crap on the sidewalks, and all sorts of industrial chemicals around, you might be more inclined to take off your shoes when you enter your house. If you live in a little beach town where everything's cleaner, it might not be such a big deal/

To steer this around to GnR again, it's always possible that photo was taken right when everyone came into the house, or shortly thereafter, which explains the shoes and hat. Or that Axl didn't want the photo without his hat, so he put it on again for the picture.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Great discussion on parenting. 

Although I'm not a mother, I have helped to raise at least 10 and it really is imperative to let them roam and explore. Getting hurt, falling down, and getting sick is all a part of growing up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

I never said kids should not move around or play. I talked about using a pad or blanket so they don't crawl on the plain floor. 

The rest of your post is just bicker so I won't engage. 

Yeah, but that's the point: Kids can't move around much on a pad or blanket. You can't put blankets and pads onto every floor of your house (I mean you could I guess, but who does that?).

Besides, like other people have said, eating some dirt, falling down, etc. is part of growing up. It helps them work out how the world works and strenegthens their immune system. As long as you don't drag really questionable shit into your house from outside (like... literal shit, chemical waste residues, etc. which is why said I'm in favor of taking your shoes off if someone has little kids in their house), the floor is a perfectly safe place for children to play and crawl around on. Wrapping children in bubble wrap and protecting them from germs and every other potential danger is not good for them.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

This is true my kids all crawled on the floor, i did use a mat like she said when they were tiny but they have to explore. Stairgates and other precautions are also used. Kids need to have some contact with germs to build their immunity.

1 hour ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

Although I'm not a mother, I have helped to raise at least 10 and it really is imperative to let them roam and explore. Getting hurt, falling down, and getting sick is all a part of growing up.

Yeah, when they're tiny and don't move around much yet, I'd put them on a mat/blanket too. But as they get older they're not gonna stay on there and I'm sure as hell not gonna force them to do so.

And yeah, all part of growing up and germs are important and good for you lol.

1 hour ago, stella said:

Hi Frey! :)

This, pretty much. The only time I've ever seen anyone using those pads is when they're outside somewhere and don't want their baby rolling around in the sand or dirt.

For the "visiting people - shoes on or off" thing, I follow whatever cue I am given when I enter someone's home. I actually always ask if they want me to take my shoes off or not. In my home, I always take them off. In addition to the dirt/grime thing, it's just more comfortable to be in socks and slippers for me.

I suppose a lot of it does depend on where one lives, too. If you' live in a major city like I do, where there are people puking and peeing on the streets, and people letting their dogs crap on the sidewalks, and all sorts of industrial chemicals around, you might be more inclined to take off your shoes when you enter your house. If you live in a little beach town where everything's cleaner, it might not be such a big deal/

To steer this around to GnR again, it's always possible that photo was taken right when everyone came into the house, or shortly thereafter, which explains the shoes and hat. Or that Axl didn't want the photo without his hat, so he put it on again for the picture.

Yeah, I also just ask people if they want me to take my shoes off or to leave them on. It's not really like it's ever a big issue in every day life, so I'm a bit baffled by the impassioned reactions to the shoe topic.

Axl walks around without his hat quite a bit though these days, so I'm not sure it's really an issue for him. But whatever, I'm actually more curious about the insect collection in the background and some of the other crap Axl has in his house.

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

:ph34r:

iZ9Y0A.jpg

:lol::lol::thumbsup:

Edited by Frey
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah, but that's the point: Kids can't move around much on a pad or blanket. You can't put blankets and pads onto every floor of your house (I mean you could I guess, but who does that?).

Besides, like other people have said, eating some dirt, falling down, etc. is part of growing up. It helps them work out how the world works and strenegthens their immune system. As long as you don't drag really questionable shit into your house from outside (like... literal shit, chemical waste residues, etc. which is why said I'm in favor of taking your shoes off if someone has little kids in their house), the floor is a perfectly safe place for children to play and crawl around on. Wrapping children in bubble wrap and protecting them from germs and every other potential danger is not good for them.

It's funny how hypocritical people can get when they decide they want to gang up on someone just because.

You and others now talking about letting kids loose and wild around, crawling all over the house because, suddenly, "it is important that they strenghthen their immune system and learn how to live life blah blah blah blah blah :drool: :drool: :drool:"

One hour ago, it was a crime to leave the shoes on because "oh my god, there are houses with kids and babies who crawl on the floor and it is nasty to drag dirt from the outside and blah blah blah blah :drool: :drool: :drool:" while at the same time it is essential to become a decent human being to eat crap from the floor, play with dogs shit and roll over on dead cockroaches before the age of 5 :rofl-lol:

What more can I say...? Nothing but...

578ec070dc28c_axllaughsatsirdavidlang.gif.500e247e345ffb39256fec8cd244b210.gif

That's how slow things have turned out here...

---

p.s.: it wouldn't hurt if once in a while some people would hop on a plane and go visit other cities, countries, societies. Not every major city is a pig pool as you believe.

Edited by killuridols

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

It's funny how hypocritical people can get when they decide they want to gang up on someone just because.

You and others now talking about letting kids loose and wild around, crawling all over the house because, suddenly, "it is important that they strenghthen their immune system and learn how to live life blah blah blah blah blah :drool: :drool: :drool:"

One hour ago, it was a crime to leave the shoes on because "oh my god, there are houses with kids and babies who crawl on the floor and it is nasty to drag dirt from the outside and blah blah blah blah :drool: :drool: :drool:" while at the same time it is essential to become a decent human being to eat crap from the floor, play with dogs shit and roll over on dead cockroaches before the age of 5 :rofl-lol:

What more can I say...? Nothing but...

578ec070dc28c_axllaughsatsirdavidlang.gif.500e247e345ffb39256fec8cd244b210.gif

That's how slow things have turned out here...

Uhm no. If you actually read what I wrote, you'd see I haven't changed my opinion. In my ealier post I said I don't really care much about the shoe issue, except that I'd take my shoes off in a house with kids because you could drag all kinds of shit into the house by leaving your shoes on and walking around. And I said the same thing again now.

There's a difference between letting your kids crawl around on the floor in an average house (which mostly has dust, old food residues, and pet hair on it) and letting them crawl around in and eat potentially dangerous substances, which can be dragged into the house by shoes. To sum up: I don't want my children eating dog shit or chemical substances, but they can eat all the dust and old food in the world for all I care.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Frey said:

There's a difference between letting your kids crawl around on the floor in an average house (which mostly has dust, old food residues, and pet hair on it) and letting them crawl around in and eat potentially dangerous substances, which can be dragged into the house by shoes. To sum up: I don't want my children eating dog shit or chemical substances, but they can eat all the dust and old food in the world for all I care.

And if you have kids AND dogs?  :lol:

Most "potentially dangerous substances" for kids are inside one's house than outside...

1 hour ago, Frey said:

Axl walks around without his hat quite a bit though these days, so I'm not sure it's really an issue for him. But whatever, I'm actually more curious about the insect collection in the background and some of the other crap Axl has in his house.

He seems to be more confident these days in general about not wearing hats/sunglasses/heavy jackets all the time. Wasn't it Angus or someone in AC/DC that told him he should let the audience see his face more?

I am with you about the art...it seems like Axl's got a lot of original artwork and interesting stuff in his house. It seems like he really appreciates art, and knowing him he's put a lot of thought into what he's chosen to purchase and put up in his home. It would be interesting to hear him talk about that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stella said:

He seems to be more confident these days in general about not wearing hats/sunglasses/heavy jackets all the time. Wasn't it Angus or someone in AC/DC that told him he should let the audience see his face more?

I am with you about the art...it seems like Axl's got a lot of original artwork and interesting stuff in his house. It seems like he really appreciates art, and knowing him he's put a lot of thought into what he's chosen to purchase and put up in his home. It would be interesting to hear him talk about that.

Yeah, according to @Lumikki, Angus' wife told Beta to tell Axl (lol).

You'd need the full tour like these lucky Swiss tourists got :lol: He explained all the stories behind his artworks to them.

20 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Most "potentially dangerous substances" for kids are inside one's house than outside...

Well the dogs hopefully poop outside somewhere and not inside the house. :scared: So same rule still applies imo: Don't drag dog shit on your shoes in.

And yeah, I agree, but these potentially dangerous substances (like cleaning supplies and so on) are supposed to be locked away safely somewhere and out of reach for little children. There should be no way for them to get into the dangerous stuff if they're just crawling around and you're a responsible adult who made sure everything really dangerous is off limits.

But all of this is getting way, way off topic.

Here, have a bigger version of Slash's plumber's crack:

tumblr_on04zs4Vmx1vkt6tqo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, killuridols said:

This is true in the fact that there are many different household chemicals, electrical outlets and high places for kids to get into and fall off of, but this is where safeguarding and childproofing a home becomes important. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah, according to @Lumikki, Angus' wife told Beta to tell Axl (lol).

You'd need the full tour like these lucky Swiss tourists got :lol: He explained all the stories behind his artworks to them.

Well the dogs hopefully poop outside somewhere and not inside the house. :scared: So same rule still applies imo: Don't drag dog shit on your shoes in.

And yeah, I agree, but these potentially dangerous substances (like cleaning supplies and so on) are supposed to be locked away safely somewhere and out of reach for little children. There should be no way for them to get into the dangerous stuff if they're just crawling around and you're a responsible adult who made sure everything really dangerous is off limits.

I wonder if he even feels the breeze LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

This is true in the fact that there are many different household chemicals, electrical outlets and high places for kids to get into and fall off of, but this is where safeguarding and childproofing a home becomes important. 

5 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah. Are "supposed" to but you know how big it is the percentage of kids intoxicated and injured via domestic accidents. Not a lot of people are as careful as you people....

9 minutes ago, Frey said:

Omg thank you :drool:

I needed ASS but Axl ain't giving :max:

Btw, Axl looks like a real ginger in that pic... He resembles a character from a movie, actually. I'm kind of... scared of saying which, though :nervous:

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yeah. Are "supposed" to but you know how big it is the percentage of kids intoxicated and injured via domestic accidents. Not a lot of people are as careful as you people....

Omg thank you :drool:

I needed ASS but Axl ain't giving :max:

Btw, Axl looks like a real ginger in that pic... He resembles a character from a movie, actually. I'm kind of... scared of saying which, though :nervous:

Yeah, some people are just irresponsible and not fit to have children and sometimes bad mistakes also happen to people who are otherwise good, responsible parents. It is what it is. But fortunately, the vast majority of kids grow up without ever having tasted the drain cleaner.

Which one? Merida? lol