GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

3 hours ago, GingerHair said:

I met someone from Berlin at a GNR gathering and she told me that she had been to numerous concerts from other bands in another venue in Berlin (sorry, I don't know the name), which is a venue that fits around 40,000 people and has a very good acoustic and that she had never been to Olympiastadion because it is famous for the bad acoustic

Well, I have no idea but some others said they had been to Olympiastadion shows before and that they were great! :shrugs:

So I guess it is a combination of the stadium not being filled (lack of people causes echo) and bad sound. Who decides on which stadium they play or how much they invest in sound it is something I'd like to know, but that person or group of people must have some responsability for it.

3 hours ago, Rickodez said:

At this age, any weight loss will do that to you, combined with a shaved look, and the whole internet think youre dying. Thinking about it, i dont know if Axl losing weight would bring any real benefit, at this point he will not look like 2006 or 2010 again, and i doubt he will sing better either, aging is no joke.

Hmm. I don't agree with the bolded.

One thing is to lose weight in a healthy way, at any age you need to do it if you are having health problems derived from it. And a different thing is to lose weight because of drugs or a disease that makes you lose weight. Because in general, what you lose is muscular mass and your immune system becomes frail.

Axl could age gracefull if he wanted and aging does not equal doing it in the worst conditions. Much less if you've got so much money like Axl does. He could delay his aging for 20 years if he was dedicated and committed to it. Besides, he's not THAT old and he lives good, unlike lots of other seniors who barely have to eat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alja said:

Report from the fortress Olympiastadion. Fight is over. Men soldiered through, all alive. 

(Berlin show review)

Day -1

Spotted Nightram roaming the streets of Berlin. Band is in the town, If anybody was not sure about where, the hotel was marked around with posters. Axl reappeared from nowhere after half a year on rehearsal/soundcheck. Noone saw him coming. Looks he diddn`t shave head, gain 20 kilos, grow mustache or anything. Berlin is pretty huge to absorb fans. Roaming the city, sightseeing, having fun, meeting people. 

Day 0

Berlin Olympiastadion is a fortress of concrete and travertine and iron, massive, built to impress, outliving its times and creators. We crashed by one of the gates and camped until opened, surprisingly very few people around. Little advantage of German audience is that they won`t go bananas to get there first. Disadvantage is that they just won`t go bananas. Weather was decent with heavy clouds, but it wasn`t raining and not too hot. We got rehearsals of Slither, Coma, You Could Be Mine and then streamed GNR from a rocking folks barbecuing by their rock-bands decorated caravan in nearby parking lot. After you watched EEs passing around, gates opened. I ran through the first checkpoint, ticket OK, then down by endless stairs like in Paradise City video, running through next two checkpoints with motivation close to Jesse Ovens, all smooth I am here, left front corner as I was advised. EE people already there, ladies like after what the heck I have rock concert suitable to wear hard time and they massive boyfriends bodyguards on the rail, they should forbid two meters high butchery guys on rail, but whatever, first come first served and anyone behind you is not your business as far as I know... For the opening acts I saw mostly massive black tee back, but, luckily, then the crowd somehow moved and I got gap to see. Like with most of opening bands, I asked myself if there is some line which forbids opening acts to use front part of the stage. Still researching this topic.  

First support band was Greta van Fleet, cute puppies looking like Jimi Hendrix`s grandchildren with massive, heavy 60s bluesy backdrop, lead singer does some impressive long high notes (okay, third time rather one trick pony, but each player strong in his craft) and they roll easily through their set. Faith in humanity and rock`n`roll restored. Stadium was still two-thirds empty, even golden circle was like three rows; second are Manic Street Preachers, seasoned rockers with highway-paced music.

They ended half an hour before GNR scheduled, in the time band supposed to come on stage there were light techs still climbing up the ladders to their spots, cheesy tank video (Hate at first sight, repeated, like if I wasn`t overfed already first time). It`s great to be there down on rail because you don`t need to pay attention to animation. Today I additionaly felt like in a deep dark hole created by massive people. Upper seats half empty. Band definitely set off quarter an hour later than scheduled. No McBob, no Loonie tunes, It`s So Easy. Massive opener. Axl vigorous, with huge shades on, rock power firing all cylinders, Mr.Brownstone rocked next, but maybe since then it became somehow weird, remarkably Double Talkin`Jive, instruments mashed and mixed and messed like everyone had different beat, got slightly better with Live and Let Die, but definite nail into the coffin was Rocket Queen. That song is supposed to hit your groins and run down your tights since first moment Duff fingers it deep down under, not for standing there and trying to recognize the song. Axl gone really bad heading to This I Love, singing was amazing, full of feels like it`s supposed to, Slash soloed clear but you could see Axl switch to serious and talk to every member of the band. Mood dropped death, audience mostly like a pond of cold fishes. It was a bad day going more sour every minute and it seemed like the band cannot do anything with it. Axl totally out of groove, buttoned up and austere in some protective setting, carying the weight of the situation whatever happens, inheritance of frontman. He even wasn`t in such a strong contact with the audience like he is capable. Something was totally wrong. Definitely not Axl I`ve seen in Prague. Axl is kind of open book written in huge letters and it screamed upset. What I started to really miss was happy, goofy, enthusiastic Axl. He knows when he does good and also he knows when he sucks. Not a kind of a person who would pass untouched. Not a kind of performer who would hide his self and passes through the performance. Axl gives heart - all he can in given moment. When he angrily sings Better, I felt it so intensely I surprised myself and sing it back like that. I feel both sadness and disillusion and hope at the end, the grief of This I love... take it, all the feels, served fresh. 

Next went Slither, which is basically a song which tends to pass by me without touching, but a beautiful gesture. I don`t know how deep must have Axl been, but he started to swim to the surface. 

When he was introducing Civil War, he touched Slash on shoulder while saying we don`t need no civil war.

Then went mostly guitar pieces for Slash. Sweet Child resurrected audience from death at least for a while and surprise Wichita Lineman was another weight which visibly fallen from Axl`s shoulders. Now he was even able to reconnect with his power, at least partially. Then Wish you were here with Slash and Richard weaving the melody while the piano was set on the front. November Rain, if the piano wasn`t backed by other instruments, it was at least audible here in the front, otherwise mostly not. Like a silent movie. Still the song has certain something for Axl, he is more tranquil in it, vibrantly fragile, ageless. At the end of the song he even started to smile, after almost unbearably long time. You would do basically anything for that smile (banner is an option, too). 

Afer November Rain went Knockin` on heaven`s door, and, most important, shades went down accompanied with massive cheering. Because seeing Axl performing in shades is like making love with condom, may be good but there is something additional and odd between you two. Sky darkened and the shine reappeared. Axl was back from depths, surfaced, heavily breathing, but back, ice melted. Highlight of the show, there was him, shiny, fragile, vibrant, humble Axl Rose I remembered from Prague, heads up.

That was experience like being underwater said Axl and I hoped for that to be intro to Coma, but it wasn`t. Still, I understand why he didin`t go through that wicked song not having heart right on his spot.

Nightrain, little pause and encore. 

Patience ended by beautiful, raspy, juicy, all the feels of walking the streets trying to get it right outro and truly impressive, long and intense final note. He bowed in a way you knew how upset he was with the performance and how that long, long note was the one piece of heart on his sleeve he managed to put together and could give you for all you did to make it there. Sorry, I tried, keep at least this. Concentrated Axlness in one moment it melted heart.

Things went fast then. All the vivacity of Paradise City, Axl much less physically tired than in Prague, banner flying over my head to Gio`s hands, Axl asking for it to show it to Slash, Duff (giggles) and rest of the world. Axl full blown happy. That guy seems to have genuine sense of humor and hell serious people around. 

Final bow, Slash returning to throw pics and headstand.

That show sounded like Estranged, with all its down and harsh parts, going through difficulties and resurfacing at the end. 

When I find out all the reasons
Maybe I'll find another way
Find another day
With all the changing seasons of my life
Maybe I'll get it right next time

Side notes:

* Spotted Slash`s smile. Rare, cute and genuine thingy. 

* No jackets (good), most remarkable and only success in stripping Axl were shades, shirt stayed. *cries and hates that ass-ruining tablecloth

* I loved when Axl whistled in Estranged and Slash answered with dolphin sound on guitar

* Slash and Duff had weird yellowish face color like like they stole Axl`s make-up (he was clean, no make-up, no eyeliner) and also left nothing for bloodless pale white Richard

* I can`t help but love that neglected puppy, million-expression guitarist Fortus, sometimes only funny element when all was going sour.

* Security guys shared their own water with us, but it was so little. You need a sip when you are stuck in the front, not a pint of beer you buy before the show and full bladder next. Prague tops in this million times.

* The set was tight and set in a way they could make it through without major damage of them or the songs. Axl sounded good and fresh for me and I don`t mind some scratches and octave changes, if it works. Happens. It`s live. I slightly miss Yesterdays and Don`t Cry, but, as wise old men once said, you can`t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you`ll get what you need. 

Excelent review@Alija with all you ❤👏👏

6 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

So the tour will end in November.

Good to know they never even considered Manchester or Scotland and only cared about London - where they can charge whatever they want and it’s all cool :fuckyou:

I'm still surprised they didn't do Manchester given that Axl played with AC/DC there to a packed and enthusiastic crowd. I think any Northern England/Scotland date would be a sell out even at this late stage of the tour.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Alja said:

Security guys shared their own water with us, but it was so little.

I've tried out a solution to this last year and it worked. When they asked us to remove the caps and throw them away, I did as they pleased but they did not know I had some caps in my purse taken from home. Away from the guards I put them back on and had enough drink to sip from throughout the etire show.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Love your review @Alja I feel very honest....what do you think happenned?

Can`t guess properly, but that combination of bad acoustics and compromised stream in in-ear monitors combined with cold audience is difficult itself even with best mind-set right before the show; first show after a long time, so machine is a bit rusty and dry, always is. 

More specifically to GNR shows, Axl`s emotional states are kind of contagious, I remember how DJ Ashba said that if you are in a room with Axl Rose and he doesn`t want to be in that room, you also don`t want to be in that room. I swear it works in his presence (more or less consciously, you perceive it) like this with any mindset, so if he`s light-hearted, you are happy your heart skips a beat. If he`struggles, you are upset and it`s really difficult to fight it. To say, this emotional thingy is the reason I pay for front row tickets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alfierose said:

I'm still surprised they didn't do Manchester given that Axl played with AC/DC there to a packed and enthusiastic crowd. I think any Northern England/Scotland date would be a sell out even at this late stage of the tour.

I am too. I thought they might add a Manchester or Scotland show at some point, it would definitely sell out, especially with them only playing at Donington this time - lots of fans just don’t want to go to a festival.

The Manchester AC/DC crowd was so much fun....and Axl has said before how much he likes the Manchester crowds, it’s their loss :lol:

EDIT: How come your name is in black now, are you an admin? :) 

@alfierose

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 1