GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

1 minute ago, Natty said:

The melody/music  of that song is good . the words are shit. I am no racist , my parents are immigrants. I have nothing against gay people I am very open minded and hate it when people classify others due to race or education and so on. But I can separate a good melody from the stupid words. Axl could have sung a recipe for soup I would like the song only because of the melody itself. 

There will be some people who like it for the words as unfortunately there are enough racists running around but there are also people who like only the music / melody cause its special like I used to love her. its not the classic hard rock melody..

I dont sing along to it. I just do hmhm cause I dont want to pronounce them. I dont hear it regularly though but I like the melody as explained

6 minutes ago, Natty said:

The melody/music  of that song is good . the words are shit. I am no racist , my parents are immigrants. I have nothing against gay people I am very open minded and hate it when people classify others due to race or education and so on. But I can separate a good melody from the stupid words. Axl could have sung a recipe for soup I would like the song only because of the melody itself. 

There will be some people who like it for the words as unfortunately there are enough racists running around but there are also people who like only the music / melody cause its special like I used to love her. its not the classic hard rock melody..

I think it's a pitty he fucked up a good melody. But if you own the album Lies you can listen the song. That's why I don't understand why some people were so upset that the song was not part of the box set. I can only come up with one conclusion.  I wonder how a white person would feel if some artists write songs calling them white trash or red neck. And the none white people claming they like the music.

6 minutes ago, Padme said:

I think it's a pitty he fucked up a good melody. But if you own the album Lies you can listen the song. That's why I don't understand why some people were so upset that the song was not part of the box set. I can only come up with one conclusion.  I wonder how a white person would feel if some artists write songs calling them white trash or red neck. And the none white people claming they like the music.

yeah it s a pity. he could have changed the text completely but that would require songwriting and we all know how much Axl loves to write anything the last decade...

there are enough ignorant and stupid people on earth. like I said my parents are immigrants but my sister votes the party who is against immigrants. 🙈 same parents same background and education but two different personalities....

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

It's not just about race, it also calls out gay people and immigrants. But I think it all comes back to what we were talking about before.... the whole empathy thing, something Axl lacked back then.

People with priviledges oftenly don't realize what is like to not have them and it is hard for them to walk on someone else's shoes. Lack of empathy and lack of 'world', as well, since when your remain in one place your whole life and do not have contact with different people, it is also difficult for you to have a more open-minded approach of the world.

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Moaning that it s not in the box set doesn t mean one is a racist. It s just strange they removed the song. I didnt expect that. It s complex like killuridols said.

too much political correctness : where does it start?  But comparing staff in poland to Auschwitz is another level. 

No one (or at least me not) compared staff to Nazis. Organization was far from perfect, but nothing to be compared this way. The only mention was a number on forearm, which comes more striking at certain places, but feel free to blow things up. 

OIAM makes sense as a whole, and, as a whole it tells different story that you usually get (I went though it after people picked it in discussion). If you do what you did with the mention, pick like half of the sentence and start to overthink it, you will get the reaction OIAM got in public. Cherry-picked and overblown, it had nothing to do with Axl`s actual patterns, who he was friends with, who were his idols... Next people were surprised about how Axl really is and that he has no problem with different races, sexual preferences, whatever.

It`s sometimes funny to be contrary to your public image. A young man which arrived in LA was angry young man, he was told what`s right and what`s wrong, black and white world of a little town church community, and he had to rethink everything he knew, because it didn`t work when he immersed deeper into LA dregs. It`s all there in the song, a story. Maybe he was pale white man, but far from privileged, a disowned worthless white trash kid no one cares about. It`s Axl`s story and if someone told him it shouldn`t be tell, it just triggered his sense of harsh honesty and reminded him about gaslighting he went through as a child.

Calling out Axl and OIAM for what people say or do is same as call out Salinger for John Lennon`s murder.

Even if you are pale white, it doesn`t mean you have won in life. Every human being is complex and has something which overtops other`s abilities and set of crippling mechanisms. Usually the more outstanding gifts are, the more crippling traits come in package. If you are envious, you see gifts, not a whole being. 

When we stop talking about certain things openly, if you forbid and try to erase things people remember that once were, it will start to boil under the surface or become even unconscious and hard to grasp, but present. I don`t think it`s correct to forbid some signs or books or songs or whatever. If people feel silenced, grievance, envy, and misinformation grows and this is the path to not just some big-mouthed acts, but to true hate and violence. 

You can polish your public image by telling just things which are right to say, correct, deny all the stuff which is presented as incorrect or offensive or whatever. For me, people who exactly know right from wrong are always more dangerous. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, killuridols said:

This is what I was trying to say before.......... Some people assume that there's only Americans in this forum or only people who come from a certain social/economic status, certain education, etc........... We have lots of people here from all places, all ages, different languages and backgrounds. It is important to know that when we talk (or post) we have this big audience that is the entire world, not just a few from the rich countries.

Assuming shit about others it is easy because we are behind monitors and keyboards, but maybe we should exercise more the thought of imagining an actual person behind the words, someone with a life history and all that it entails. Some people are more or less politically involved, but we are all crossed by our contemporary history and the past history of our ancestors. We are all the results of our environment and societies.

Even if this a GN'R forum and this is a GN'R thread, there is no chance that we will go through it without clashing with each other, for whatever reasons. Guns N' Roses are a band of people, as well, and they send a message with their music. We come together here because of them and maybe they will be the only thing all of us here have in common, because our differences become obvious.

Therefore, if we want to keep this thread open some things have to be adjusted and called out, if they are not okay or out of place. It is not overreacting, it is saying, "hey, I am a person and I am reading you, hello???". Everybody wake up in front of your monitors!

And I like how you @Rocketqueen76 have found the freedom here to remind us who you are, just in case we forget, because these monitors and these keyboards gives us a feeling of entitlement but that is not right. Personally, I think you should not be constantly reminding us of your race, because for me it is not necessary, I respect you. But I see how that's a good defense that maybe you learned in the past and see? You are allowed to do it and no one should say one fucking thing about that, or hurt you because of that, and if someone does, I will stand up for you and tell them to fuck off.

So I think the same goes for jewish people, latinamericans, women, babies, muslims, etc...... We must start assuming that there are others here who read us and might get hurt from what we say about their nationalities, race, religion, sexuality.... and no, its not political correctness... IT'S EMPATHY!!

I applaud @Tori72 for standing up for her beliefs, for being true to her promise to her teenage self, because that's the only way to be: to be true to yourself, even when others tell you that you overreact, that you have to move on, that you have to ignore. NO. Just do what your heart tells you to do, especially if it is to defend those who do not have a voice anymore or are silenced by the powers that be!

So well said. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

What is this yellow in the nightrain gear? Ugh! Who can wear yellow? 

There’s only one who can. And he’s even combining it with purple. :P

And, oddly enough, it looks perfect :wub: That's what separates fashion influencers from us mortals :P 

On 13/7/2018 at 2:08 PM, RocketQueen1985 said:

It's my tweet he's responding to here. I suggested him visiting Auschwitz as he has an interest in WWII (as do I) and I think it's good for Americans to sometimes see and understand what really happened here in Europe as many of them seem to just care about what happened/happens in their own backyard

I haven't visited Auschwitz. But I have visited another Concetration Camp outside Berlin a few years ago. This madness started before WWII. Some people went right into gas chambers. They took golden teeth from corps because they need to convert gold into cash. I saw horrific things there (now what's left of it) I came out of there wondering how come there are people who deny the Holocaust? The evidence is right there!

I'm afarid Americans don't travell abroad often enough. I have visited several places around Europe. I've seen very few Americans, most of them are retired people

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Awww, poor Dizzy. :P She forgot Gilby too....he was in that video and also needs the love. :heart: Love him!

Image result for gilby clarke november rain video

Yes ,and Matt too, i laugh hard about a comment :"half of those views are probably from my dad , this is "his" song" :lol: