GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

8 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Hahaha :lol: That sounds very flattering, thank you for that. - And yet I can feel there’s a sarcastic connotation to it. :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

I might not get what you see in that way expressing ourselves / myself. Like I’m blind to the things I’m being part of ...

No, it's not sarcastic at all!
I'm being honest and that includes that those guys were also controversial with their stuff, so yeah, Im not always agreeing with the things you say or how you behave but I choose to stay with the good I can get from it.

We all here come from different places, different backgrounds, cultures and languages.

I feel blessed for being able to communicate with you all and that interaction allows me/us to see our similarities, differences and learn from that.
:hug:

• Like 2

I sometimes photograph local acts for fun with my beloved mirror-glass; concert photography is a tiny subgenre. There are some actually really ugly folks and half of those acts and people are boring AF... but soon you can learn how to make them look at least decent and show as something you would be eventually sad you missed. The thing is that it's after all it's always really repetitive, even if acts change - not just one act again and again. Some angles just look good and some almost never and then there's not much place for further creativity. Ask me about how many from thousands pictures I made I take as really good/creative/... and I can pick really few. Local acts with mirror glass and major bands with toy camera. From some shows there is just none like that. For me it's fun, I don't make money from it. After few shows each and every band is mostly repetitive and predictable; also they won't line up the way it's good for composition without any stuff (or staff in major acts) in your way just because you wish. Miss half a second and flying Slash is back on the ground or like million things break any attempt of solid composition, or it just doesn't work anymore, focus didn't work properly, definitive picture is blur, just doesn't look as good as you thought in the moment you pressed the trigger... It's not possible to have one killing shot per show, that's how rare they are. 

Flock of professional pit photographers who publish next day in news also have pics that are 99% boring and repetitive; random fan with toy camera will be probably the one to get the shot of the day. 

As far as I know from interviews, published pictures (at least his portraits for sure) must be approved by Axl in person to be published. 

You cannot compare quintessential photographs in most dramatic situations which happened in time of our ability to photograph with daily bread of some celebrity photographer. How many stars have those defining pics which always come in your mind - like Jim Morrison portrait? Few. It also has a lot of with marketing and stuff... There are killing shots that a lucky photographer makes once in the lifetime. Be it famous person magazine cover or award winning war or disaster picture. 

Lol. Professional photographers study lighting, composition, framing, perspective, even cinematography.

A professional photographer with  a serious career will have great equipment to work with (there's no such thing as blurry objectives, out of focus, half shots when you have different types of lens like a wide-angle one, tripods, quick shooter, auto-balancing)

Rock concerts are part of Photographic Journalism. Just like Sport photographers. There are incredible shots out there of football, basketball, tennis players, etc.

Amateur people will always excuse themselves because that's what they are: amateurs.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Amateur people will always excuse themselves because that's what they are: amateurs.

I agree with you here, she is amateur at her best, but she is good hanging with TB

Somebody who hang with Axl in 1997:

https://www.al.com/expo/life-and-culture/erry-2018/10/2b578ecb8a5013/why-is-nine-inch-nails-marilyn.html

Where exactly where you when Axl Rose first called you to ask about playing drums with Guns N' Roses, in 1997?

Billy (Corgan) had put me up in a hotel in New York. And I had a message on my phone and it just said, "Hello this is Axl Rose I'm looking for Chris Vrenna." And I just kept hitting repeat on the voicemail over and over and I thought, "My God, it really is him." 

And he called because at that time Robin Finck, the guitar player from Nine Inch Nails had quite Nine Inch Nails and was playing in Cirque du Soleil. Slash is already out of the band, but Duff (McKagan, classic-era GNR bassist) was still there though. But (GNR) all came down to see Cirque du Soleil and I don't know how they recognized Robin. And they waited after the show and tracked him down and he went and joined Guns N Roses. So, Robin was the new Slash. And the next person to leave (GNR) was Matt Sorum, the drummer, so that's when I got the call.  

Axl, I love that guy. His musical tastes were far more advanced than his fanbase's. He loved Nine Inch Nails. He's wearing the white SIN shirt in one of their videos that was one of our tour shirts. And he loved the Passengers (album "Original Soundtracks 1") that U2 did (with Brian Eno). I got asked to go down and ended up sitting in and the next thing you know six or eight months later, I was still there. 

So, Guns N' Roses during that time was you, Axl, Robin, Duff McKagan, (keyboardist) Dizzy Reed and (guitarist and Rose's childhood friend from Indiana) Paul Huge?

Yep.

Was the former Pearl Jam drummer Dave Abbruzzese working with GNR during your time with them?

Dave Abbruzzese was after me and then after Dave was Joey (Castillo). And then Joey was the drummer for quite a while and then Joey ended up playing for Queens of the Stone Age after that.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lio said:

A reflex camera? Or SLR camera, I think.

22 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

What is mirror glass?

Tako and Bethany Vegas on IG have some really good shots.

Thanks, it's SLR, what you see in finder is what exactly goes through lens because there's a mirror mechanism inside... that's why I know it under name "mirror glass" (one-eye-mirror-glass to translate term commonly used in my language). I am sorry, I just didn't do major vocabulary research, only described key feature of the camera class. 

Tako has some good pics; I think mainly due to number of shows she goes to and number of published pics overall - she is, after all, adjusted to the show. It's on everybody to have a preference on certain photographer. There were really good amateur pics on various pages during the tour.

If you ever heard about Annie Lebowitz, she also uses minimum gear, like one camera with one lens and... it works. There are pit photographers - journalists who almost cannot pass through narrows because of the cameras hanging all around them and... the magic is not in gear. 

Other thing is that, after all, Axl was choosing not just photographer, I guess he knows many, but someone to join the fishbowl touring band is; there are many more required qualities than just photographing abilities. After all, Axl has his own, specific demands when it comes to choosing people and I'd say he, after all, operates with his kind of perception which is very specific, he literally feels people, so he sees the world in a way which is quiet different (and so are his choices) and grown enough to trust it (he's happy now, after all - so I guess it works for him). I like Kat's point of view and that's it, the way she sees people, portrait photography it is. It's seems to me that it is that thing which clicked with Axl and created the bond and why some of her photos are so specific and speaking to me.

It's art, after all. There's no right or wrong in art. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tori72 said:

We can always talk about Izzy! :lol:

Can you? Has there been any sighting of him since he showed up at the film festival with Matt?

Anyway, in a few days or weeks the tour picks up again. So there will be new debate about Axl's looks, voice and the boring setlist. And maybe Fernando's social media :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janrichmond said:

Evening all. Is anyone doing anything for halloween? I know it's a massive thing in America but what about other countries? @killuridols?

It's not massive here but I know some things are organized, mostly by dance clubs and other places like that..... they organize parties and stuff.

Kids do not have the habit of wearing a custome and go trick or treat........ I've only seen it in the middle-upper class. :shrugs:

In my case, I don't do anything and I don't care about it. I rarely remember it's "Halloween", lol.

• Like 1

Just now, janrichmond said:

Evening all. Is anyone doing anything for halloween? I know it's a massive thing in America but what about other countries? @killuridols? @Tori72? @dgnr? @Lio? @SerenityScorp? Anyone?

Ha, not really. Well, not me. But my daughter has a scary walk in the woods tomorrow night. The scouts used to go trick or treating, but they haven't done that in the past years.

Last year, she organized a Halloween party at our place though, so I got some tealight holders with skulls and she made a few mummy tealight holders, that I've put back in the livingroom now. I also bought skull napkins.

Most kids dress up in school too, and there are Dia de los Muertos (sp? Well, you know what I mean) parties in some places too. So it's certainly growing here. Well, stores will always try to promote a new tradition, of course. Makes for good business.

What about you?

• Like 1

It’s getting bigger and bigger every year. Originally it is not known in my country. The kids like it, of course and right now we have two carved pumpkins on our balcony table (they did it in school) and they told me to have candy ready on Halloween. I still don’t like it and don’t know what to do. except that kids like to dress up as something scary and demand for candy. :shrugs:

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Evening all. Is anyone doing anything for halloween? I know it's a massive thing in America but what about other countries? @killuridols? @Tori72? @dgnr? @Lio? @SerenityScorp? Anyone?

It’s getting massive here too, isn’t it? The houses round here have more Halloween decorations than at Xmas now.... I’ll take the kids out trick or treating, they’re going as Hermione from HP and Toothless the dragon, not very scary but that’s what they’ve picked. 

I still like bonfire night better, shame it’s getting overshadowed by Halloween now. 

You doing owt Jan? 

• Like 2

I'm going out, that's all I know :lol: There are a lot of parties in clubs, but it's nothing big - just an excuse to party, really. As November 1st is a holiday it's the typical friday night crowd at the bars and clubs, only wearing more black, more lace and bolder make-up :shrugs:

Among the kids is growing though. School is making it big, my little cousins just talk about it lately cause there are some activities in school about it.  And they go trick or treat with their parents in the evening. But, then again, nothing big.

I'm taking my Grandson to a halloween kids thing at the pub, they can make stuff, get their face painted etc, then we'll do a quick Trick or Treat round the neighbours. It's getting bigger every year here (thanks USA <_<)

I don't like bonfire night, my cat's shit themselves :lol:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I still don’t like it and don’t know what to do.

:lol:

I know what to do......................... say :hahafyou: to the yanks!

Seriously, I find it so ridiculous.... like.... :shrugs: we're trying to advance in the world, societies and people want to celebrate what...? witches? ghosts? death?
Fuck that... we have enough snuff in real life to even want more....

I know in Mexico the Día de Muertos is a big tradition but I don't think it has the commercial side of Halloween.