GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

50 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I’m much too old to be a Millenial. :P Even though Africa was already old when I got into my popsong days. (It got released in 82 and even I wasn’t a teenager back then.) Still up to my days that song has been gotten so overplayed, especially by those guys who wanted to show girls their „soft side“. Hahaha. Every girl I knew could see right through it :rofl-lol: and she was internally :facepalm:.

What the fuck? What does it say? :question:

I barely remember it from the 80s. By the time I was conscious about pop/rock music, Nirvana was the shit :lol:

46 minutes ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

@killuridols the reason it’s a millennial hit is because some  young pop group just remade it LOL 

Aaaaaahhhhhh now THAT makes some fucking sense!! :lol:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

OMG.....that song just takes me back. I remember that between Africa and Hold The Line I couldn’t make up my mind which I liked better. @killuridols the reason it’s a millennial hit is because some  young pop group just remade it LOL 

Really? I always thought it was because of 'South Park' and 'Stranger Things' and then all the memes made it a millennial thing. I'm such a clueless millennial :lol: 

I knew the song before and always loved it but because of the memes all my friends know it also now. At the beginning of the year I was in an hipster club here in Portugal with my friends, listening to modern songs and meanwhile the DJ puts 'Africa' and everyone cheers and sings to it. I was in awe, thank you internet :headbang::P 

1 minute ago, dgnr said:

Really? I always thought it was because of 'South Park' and 'Stranger Things' and then all the memes made it a millennial thing. I'm such a clueless millennial :lol: 

Geez!!! I'm going nuts!!! :bitchfight:

I feel like I'm in the middle of some time/space void where I don't know shit about this song because it was already old when I was kid and now that it's back to popular but I have not heard It at all because I'm not into 'Stranger Things' and I quit South Park like 10 years ago.

Why is the Millenial world comprised of fucking old shit??? :question: 

And why Memes? Whats up with this song. Please fill me in becuase I feel left out :max:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgnr said:

I knew the song before and always loved it but because of the memes all my friends know it also now. At the beginning of the year I was in an hipster club here in Portugal with my friends, listening to modern songs and meanwhile the DJ puts 'Africa' and everyone cheers and sings to it. I was in awe, thank you internet :headbang::P 

My mom listened to Toto when I was a kid so I just kind of fell into it. I had to be somewhere between 6 and 8 at the time it came out so it became one of those songs I would roller skate to.....that and double Dutch bus, but that’s a song for a different day LOL

• Like 1

Dude, I just said that I'm a clueless millennial, so stop asking me hard questions. Go ask it on Instagram Stories Questions, that's where my people is right now :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

10 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Why is the Millenial world comprised of fucking old shit??? :question: 

Well, I'm sure it will be scientific works answering this question in a few years, but for now I'm quoting Lana Del Rey, a millennial diva, to answer this:

Look at you kids with your vintage music
Comin' through satellites while cruisin'
You're part of the past, but now you're the future
Signals crossing can get confusing

It's enough just to make you feel crazy, crazy, crazy

10 minutes ago, killuridols said:

And why Memes? Whats up with this song. Please fill me in becuase I feel left out :max:

Why memes? Because it's our thing, it's the glue of our generation, we bond together over memes, everything is meme material. I don't know, we're weird (but #lit) :nervous: For this specific meme...go: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/africa-by-toto

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

Ahhhh that song :facepalm: :lol:

I barely recalled it was called Africa :facepalm: and I have no clue about the lyrics. 

Haven't heard it in quite some time so i don't know how it can be a millennial hit, loool. 

Maybe Axl should sing it for the show, that'd be fun!

Africa by Toto has turned into meme. Actually a lot of old songs turned into meme that's why kids know them. A new way to know new/old music :D 

I like it but it started to drive me crazy last month because my brother insisted playing it on car over and over again. Now he got over it and recently demand me to play Better over and over again together with Queen, Nirvana, songs used in Hideo Kojima's games, and those awful meme songs from tiktok. I can't even.

To be honest, I haven't heard radio for half a year, I don't care what's hit on the radio now except A Star Is Born soundtrack, and Queen, but I love Queen since forever, so yea...

1 minute ago, Tori72 said:

I know Instagram Stories. What is Instagram Storie Questions? :wow::shrugs:

rs_500x279-140331142612-tumblr_inline_mm

It's one of feature in instagram story. Other than stickers, gif, words, clocks, now you can put template for q&a to your followers.

3 minutes ago, tifalucis said:

It's one of feature in instagram story. Other than stickers, gif, words, clocks, now you can put template for q&a to your followers.

Thanks! Ha! I even did that already. Haha. I thought it was a new thing like igtv... :)

8 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Dude, I just said that I'm a clueless millennial, so stop asking me hard questions. Go ask it on Instagram Stories Questions, that's where my people is right now :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Well biiiiiiitch.... You and I are both here, so I'm gonna ask you shit over here, not over Instagram. I'm not your follower neither you are mine, so just shut up and sing! :bitchfight:

:P

10 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Why memes? Because it's our thing, it's the glue of our generation, we bond together over memes, everything is meme material. I don't know, we're weird (but #lit) :nervous:

LOL duh I know what memes are about :facepalm::lol:

I just didn't understand why that song generates memes!! what's so funny or ridiculous about It? I find it a pretty normal regular pop song from the 80s. :shrugs:

These millenials are quite dumb, hah... thanks for the link, though. It still makes no sense to me what's all the fuss about that song.

Also, kids these days know old songs from movies and tv series. In my days we know them from video games. God, when I was a kid I had no idea why no one sing Queen's song anymore like my dad. I watched American Idol audition, waiting someone to cover Queen song. Then there was that one guy, awful. And then Adam Lambert, of course he's good, he's the vocalist now. Now it's everywhere. And actually I'm really really happy about that but upset at the same time because no one can sing Queen better than Queen. You can imagine how upset I was when Panic At the Disco covered Bohemian Rhapsody for Suicide Squad soundtrack and it got such a hit, it was no 1 on chart for weeks I was like NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Fucking suckers that's awful. Thank goodness the original is the one on top of the chart now.

• Like 1

That's funny and strange.

In my time of being a kid I don't remember having an obsession for the past. Actually, all those 70s bands were shite to me. I didn't like any of them.  I didn't understand it.

I lived the music of my time to its fullest and I wanted to know the latest of the latest. What was trendy, new, novelty... classics were classics and I liked some of them but that was it.

It was important for us to detach and differentiate us from our parents music. You don't wanna listen to the same stuff your dad or mom is into. So all of this is pretty weird for me..... it's like kids do not rebel any more :shrugs:

14 minutes ago, killuridols said:

In my time of being a kid I don't remember having an obsession for the past. Actually, all those 70s bands were shite to me. I didn't like any of them.  I didn't understand it.

I lived the music of my time to its fullest and I wanted to know the latest of the latest. What was trendy, new, novelty... classics were classics and I liked some of them but that was it.

It was important for us to detach and differentiate us from our parents music. You don't wanna listen to the same stuff your dad or mom is into. So all of this is pretty weird for me..... it's like kids do not rebel any more :shrugs:

IMO kids who listen to old songs are the rebels today. Because today musics are just complete shit. No more meaning, thought, depth, and technique put in there. Today musics are just made to make it on chart. Now I understand why I puzzled you when I said that I'm now Take That fan too but the thing is they still make songs. They just released an album a week ago. Still better than whatever Ariana Grande put on recently (I like her songs from her first and second album though, her songs now just weird).

Edited by tifalucis

31 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Thanks! Ha! I even did that already. Haha. I thought it was a new thing like igtv... :)

awww, you're blending with us, that's nice :hug::P 

And to answer your gif: no, we don't. We say 'Dope'. See Melissa Reese, she nails the millennial thing :rolleyes:

:rofl-lol:

27 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Well biiiiiiitch.... You and I are both here, so I'm gonna ask you shit over here, not over Instagram. I'm not your follower neither you are mine, so just shut up and sing! :bitchfight:

:P

Ok, Slash!!! I wanna be your follower though, so hit me up :P 

27 minutes ago, killuridols said:

LOL duh I know what memes are about :facepalm::lol:

I just didn't understand why that song generates memes!! what's so funny or ridiculous about It? I find it a pretty normal regular pop song from the 80s. :shrugs:

These millenials are quite dumb, hah... thanks for the link, though. It still makes no sense to me what's all the fuss about that song.

It's funny cause it's an old song and we have the hots for vintage things, so it's like a tongue in cheek statement about our generation, you know? We do that quite a lot, making fun of ourselves through memes :P  There's no reason to be this specific song, there's others like In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins, C'mon Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners, even Bohemian Rhapsody, they get memed a lot too.

25 minutes ago, tifalucis said:

Also, kids these days know old songs from movies and tv series. In my days we know them from video games. God, when I was a kid I had no idea why no one sing Queen's song anymore like my dad. I watched American Idol audition, waiting someone to cover Queen song. Then there was that one guy, awful. And then Adam Lambert, of course he's good, he's the vocalist now. Now it's everywhere. And actually I'm really really happy about that but upset at the same time because no one can sing Queen better than Queen. You can imagine how upset I was when Panic At the Disco covered Bohemian Rhapsody for Suicide Squad soundtrack and it got such a hit, it was no 1 on chart for weeks I was like NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Fucking suckers that's awful. Thank goodness the original is the one on top of the chart now.

The Suicide Squad thing...Both me and my brother were raised on Queen, so we were born knowing Bo Rhap, thanks to my dad :P  My brother's girlfriend though, a 1999 baby, only new about the song because of Suicide Squad, she didn't know it was Queen's. She was obsessed with the song and I was like: 'You know this is Queen, right, that band I love?' and she was 'Oh no, it's from the movie' :rolleyes: I mean how? why? what? :cry:

Edited by dgnr

58 minutes ago, killuridols said:

When I was young, we had a 60s revival. We had Tour of Duty which was a huge success and taught us about the great music back then, and The Doors film for instance, and we were all listening to our parents' records of Rolling Stones, Beatles, Doors, Jimi Hendrix and other 60s music.

50 minutes ago, tifalucis said:

IMO kids who listen to old songs are the rebels today. Because today musics are just complete shit. No more meaning, thought, depth, and technique put in there. Today musics are just made to make it on chart. Now I understand why I puzzled you when I said that I'm now Take That fan too but the thing is they still make songs. They just released an album a week ago. Still better than whatever Ariana Grande put on recently (I like her songs from her first and second album though, her songs now just weird).

Bollocks! :P

There's nothing rebellious about retreating to the past, nostalgia of a time they didn't live and not producing anything new. That's such a passive attitude, far far from being a rebel.

As for the music, it is also a fallacy to think that music from the 70's, 80's, 90's was all "meaning, thought, depth, technique".... There were all kind of genres, rock was more prominent, but there was also pop, dance, disco revival, electronic music.... There were boy bands, Take That is one of them and they were just as poppish as Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift. I mean... seriously, how is Take That any different from today's pop idols? :question:

Ever since the possibility of reproduction was created (technical reproduction - Walter Benjamin), most art has been made to be produced massively and to be commercialized. Some people sell more than others but it is all part of the same commercial circuit.

Trends and styles are a different thing.

3 minutes ago, Lio said:

We had Tour of Duty which was a huge success and taught us about the great music back then, and The Doors film for instance, and we were all listening to our parents' records of Rolling Stones, Beatles, Doors, Jimi Hendrix and other 60s music.

I remember the 'The Doors' film.... you are talking about the 90's, right?

All generations have some sort of revival but usually it is a brief period, it doesn't dominate the scene.

Now it feels sometimes like it's been here for too long. Actually, I think Generation X is so strong they've been imposing these trends... if you think about it, the people who are producing series, movies, etc... they are mostly in their mid-30's, early 40's so it kinda make sense that this 80's-90's revival is going on at the time.

Edited by killuridols

56 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Oh Yeah, I just checked. Baby's name is Alton Luiz Young :P

But seems like Vanessa is alone in California? :question:

I see her husband doing gym with Fernando on the Instastories :max:

Well, he works for GNR, I'm not sure what he does, but must be something, so it makes sense he went on tour while she's on maternity leave. And Fernando's wife and the cousin wife didn't go on tour also, so I guess they're probably helping her out with the baby.

That baby is really cute, Uncle Axl must be happy :hug: I think Beta's father name was Luiz, so that's nice they named the baby after him. The Young thing, well, I really hope that it has anything to do with Angus :facepalm:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Well, he works for GNR, I'm not sure what he does, but must be something, so it makes sense he went on tour while she's on maternity leave. And Fernando's wife and the cousin wife didn't go on tour also, so I guess they're probably helping her out with the baby.

I think GNR can do without that guy pretty well :lol:

Mom and baby need dad :max:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1