GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

33 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

It's the name of an old band I was in once but I didn't pick the name. Idk what it's supposed to mean. 

Apathy = not interested, not bothered, can't be arsed. That sort of thing. Masking apathy would mean hiding those feelings. :)

22 hours ago, tifalucis said:

Hey yo guys, any new news other than they’re gonna headline in some music festivals?

No?

*sigh*

The only "news" we have is what Andy just "reported". Slash went to Axl's house last Saturday to eat pizza and watch Netflix. I would like to know if they are gonna get together next Sunday to watch Game Of Thrones :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

On 2019-04-27 at 12:07 PM, Blackstar said:

I have a clipping from Rolling Stone about the musical -- that was the only news I ever came across it myself back in the late 1990's

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, MaskingApathy said:

Have any of you gotten Susan's new book yet? I'm interested in reading it but I'll wait until it's at a library somewhere.

I read it this weekend. It's not a stellar piece of writing and had some disjointed plot development but it is insightful about the kind of lives our boys were leading and the type of bs a normal woman would have had to put up with. It's all fiction of course but based on stuff either Susan or perhaps her friends (she was on the reality show Married to Rock iircc) had dealt with. The band in the book, The Westies, reads like a compilation of the gnr line up. One guitarist basically has Izzy qualities. Drummer has some Adler. The bass player is of course cool and even keeled and kinda above the fracas. The lead singer is blamed by the guys for hogging the limelight. You get the idea. Those kind of elements- not based on actual people but also not purely fiction- made it worth a lazy beach day read.

There were a couple of events that seemed like wish fulfillment. I won't go into details because of spoilers (is there a way to post so people don't see text with potential spoilers?). 

It did become a little difficult to really empathize with the protagonist starting about halfway through the book. I just wanted to shake her and say 'wtf, woman, leave that mess.' 

Anyway, if you like fan fic, you'd like the book for sure. If you enjoy guessing what might be based on our guys, it's worth the read. I applaud her putting the effort in to write a book but set expectations appropriately.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GuitarFanfromNYC said:

I read it this weekend. It's not a stellar piece of writing and had some disjointed plot development but it is insightful about the kind of lives our boys were leading and the type of bs a normal woman would have had to put up with. It's all fiction of course but based on stuff either Susan or perhaps her friends (she was on the reality show Married to Rock iircc) had dealt with. The band in the book, The Westies, reads like a compilation of the gnr line up. One guitarist basically has Izzy qualities. Drummer has some Adler. The bass player is of course cool and even keeled and kinda above the fracas. The lead singer is blamed by the guys for hogging the limelight. You get the idea. Those kind of elements- not based on actual people but also not purely fiction- made it worth a lazy beach day read.

There were a couple of events that seemed like wish fulfillment. I won't go into details because of spoilers (is there a way to post so people don't see text with potential spoilers?). 

It did become a little difficult to really empathize with the protagonist starting about halfway through the book. I just wanted to shake her and say 'wtf, woman, leave that mess.' 

Anyway, if you like fan fic, you'd like the book for sure. If you enjoy guessing what might be based on our guys, it's worth the read. I applaud her putting the effort in to write a book but set expectations appropriately.

Doesn't sound super original then, basically just fan fic based on some real events like you said.

3 hours ago, triad said:

What's this?  What did I miss?

He had gone there to do some recording.

16 hours ago, GuitarFanfromNYC said:

Thanks! Couldn’t be less interested now. Also Susan came into the limelight when Duff was already sober, Izzy had left 1000 years ago etc etc. All she knows is 2nd hand knowledge and Duff’s tales of course. 

I’d like to know what you thing is baded on true events though. Cou can click on the eye above your post and post spoiers there,. ;) if you want to of course.

6 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Thanks! Couldn’t be less interested now. Also Susan came into the limelight when Duff was already sober, Izzy had left 1000 years ago etc etc. All she knows is 2nd hand knowledge and Duff’s tales of course. 

I’d like to know what you thing is baded on true events though. Cou can click on the eye above your post and post spoiers there,. ;) if you want to of course.

I tried clicking on the eye. Man, I am clueless. Argh

So, came across this on Yahoo news tonight. Apparently Duff wrote a #MeToo inspired song and claims he could have easily also have written it in the 80s because "they were good guys." <_< Haven't listened to the song or read the full interview but it deals with some previous WT discussions on misogynistic lyrics.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/entertainment/guns-n-roses-duff-mc-kagan-defends-misunderstood-80-s-lyrics-none-of-our-friends-said-grab-her-by-the-180822900.html

Oh, and for Axl enthusiasts, Duff describes Axl's tweets as well researched and woke.

Edited by GuitarFanfromNYC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3