Do you think ONE IN A MILLION will ever be played again?

ChristmasFnatic

8 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I made a thread about this topic ages ago and after that debacle decided a lot of people do not understand the song and do not want to and it upsets them too much so it's just not worth it.

"...But it's been such a long time, since I knew right from wrong, it's all the means to an end I, I keep it moving along..." The song is a cautionary tale about narrow-mindedness from the perspective of someone who is narrowminded/bigoted.

Duff in his book said he understood the song from a third person perspective. But guess what? When Axl was asked in interviews he never gave that kind of answer.

Anyway I think it is clear Axl's point of view has changed.

2 hours ago, Epson said:

They also played it here 

I need to call a doctor. This erection is not going away for at least 4 hours!

Thanks for posting that! Never heard it before and I always assumed that CBGB was the only time they had played it. That was killer!! Thanks again  \m/

• Like 2

stupid thread that was stupid last time it was made. of course it wont, they are lucky it didn't kill the band back in the 80s.

in fact it wouldn't surprise me if they opted to remove the song from Lies....GNR are SJW's these days.

Edited by -W.A.R-

1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

stupid thread that was stupid last time it was made. of course it wont, they are lucky it didn't kill the band back in the 80s.

in fact it wouldn't surprise me if they opted to remove the song from Lies....GNR are SJW's these days.

He said in an interview circa 1999/2000 that he was going to remove this song and the Charles Manson song on the Spaghetti Incident from new prints, but evidently that never happened.

Edited by EvanG

44 minutes ago, EvanG said:

He said in an interview circa 1999/2000 that he was going to remove this song and the Charles Manson song on the Spaghetti Incident from new prints, but evidently that never happened.

What Axl says and what actually happens are frequently quite different things.

• Like 3

I've moved this thread across to the Jungle because it's been done plenty of times and usually attracts robust argument.

Coincidently I was thinking a bit about this at the weekend after watching The People VS OJ, as a British teenager at the time I didn't take that much notice of the trial or the extreme racial tensions in LA during that era.

Given everything that went on following Rodney King then OJ I actually think Axl and GNR got off lightly, if OIAM had been released just a few years later they might not have recovered from it. Of course a few years later they may have had better sense than to release it, even Axl.

That said, despite being a controversial song it's musical composition and structure is very good. It could have been up there with the best of GNR if not for the lyrical content.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Słash said:

I guess this was the first and last time

they also played it on limelight 1988

they also played CORNSHUCKER on this show

from GNRONTOUR.COM = http://www.gnrontour.com/setlistalm88.htm

01.31.88 - The Limelight, New York, NY
set: One In A Million, Patience, Cornshucker, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Used To Love Her, Don't Cry, Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Not Fade Away / Mr. Brownstone, Patience, Instrumental Jam, Rocket Queen [Instrumental], You Shook Me, Rock And Roll, Instrumental Jam
audio/video recording?: audio
notes: Rare acoustic/electric show. The only known live performance of 'Cornshucker,' which was written by Duff & sung by Duff & Axl at this show. 'Welcome To The Jungle' starts the electric set. Axl sings a few lines of 'Not Fade Away' by The Rolling Stones during the beginning of 'Mr. Brownstone.' Axl temporarily leaves after the second performance of 'Patience,' which was an improv jam. He was pissed because GN'R wasn't supposed to play this show. The band then jams on some songs. During the 'Instrumental Jam' after 'Patience,' parts of 'Whole Lotta Rosie' & 'Born To Be Wild' are played, with Axl singing. A roadie comes on stage to sing 'You Shook Me' & 'Rock And Roll,' which were done by Led Zeppelin. 'Rock And Roll' features the 'Living Loving Maid' intro. Again Axl comes back during 'Rock And Roll' to help out on vocals.
invitation
photos
ticket

5 hours ago, Padme said:

Kayne West got called out because he said he likes Trump. And rappers have been called out many times being accussed of promoting violence. I remember how Ice T got in trouble for the song Cop Killer

Don't don't forget N.W.A got arrested in Detroit for playing a song they were "told" not to play.

• Like 1