For all the singers in the forum

hi so i always wanted to start a band and i want to be the singer now im 20 but i fell im running out of time i don't know why lol and i got a problem for some reason i can't write any lyrics lol well sometimes i got something in mind but they always come when im already in my bed so my question is what things motivate to you to write more and more songs and about what things its good to write? 

• Like 1

lol so you're decided?

If you're 20 I'd tell you one thing, don't write anything that's kinda naive. I wrote a lot of bullshit when I was 20. Be smart, be mature (not too much).

Idioms, good rhymes (don't try to be generic like Light/Night or Hell/Tell/Sell or Desire/Fire... find good words, be innovative and be careful about syllabes), a good title, chicks, books, poems, movies,  history, psych, melodies, your life, growing etc. What inspire you really, because you're not going to sing these songs, you're going to BE the song, and you're going to sing these songs again and again (if they're good). So you need to find the right words to speak to the people at different age. Be yourself, be smart and search for real inspiration (lyrics from classic tunes/singers).

If you are really in need pm me, I have a few songs that I don't use.

• Like 1

Personally I would say, just write anything to start off with!  Maybe it is just writing like a stream of consciousness type of thing where you literally write down anything and everything that you can think of, and going back over it later and pulling thoughts or phrases that stand out.

Not that I sing, but I do write music and it took me a while to fully develop an idea because I was afraid that I would ruin the idea lol.  But I got advice from many different people that you have to start somewhere - no matter if the lyrics you write are good or bad when you start, keep writing no matter what!  Many people come up with tons of crappy ideas before they come up with good ones, and I am sure the famous artists we all know and love are the same way.  Don't get discouraged by doubt or writers block - just write and have fun with it! :)

• Like 2

Write what you feel. That's all you can do. If you don't write to express, you're just writing bullshit. If that's ok with you, write what you think people want to hear.

As far as coming up with stuff late, many studies have shown that creativity is much more active late at night, 1, 2, 3am. It just happens.

What motivates? Absolutely nothing. It's always random for me. Sometimes I'll have an idea that crosses my mind and I brush it off, and it comes back later. Sometime an idea pops in, and I recognize it's really good and I know I have to write it down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GN'R MEX said:

hi so i always wanted to start a band and i want to be the singer now im 20 but i fell im running out of time i don't know why lol and i got a problem for some reason i can't write any lyrics lol well sometimes i got something in mind but they always come when im already in my bed so my question is what things motivate to you to write more and more songs and about what things its good to write? 

Get out of bed and write the idea/lyrics down! That could be your starting point, if I have an idea just before I fall asleep, I get up and record it on my phone (easier that getting a pen and paper). Have you written any lyrics?

I would agree on writing about what you feel/know, it is much harder to write about things that have not happened to you, so try and write about something you have experienced. Do you play an instrument? I don't have a set way of writing, sometimes it is a set of lyrics that I will work up a structure to, sometimes I have the melody already and it is just a case of fitting chords to it. Having an instrument helps trigger inspiration for me. 

Write lyrics and then come back to them the next day, I do this with all my ideas, if I don't like it the next day, it gets binned. Don't be afraid of throwing away stuff, lyrics take practice and I don't think any lyricist can listen to their back catalogue without cringing a little. I know I do! Sometimes all you need is one line of words and a melody....

• Like 2

Lots of good tips here.  

Also, it sounds like you want to be a singer and to be a songwriter/lyricist?  Important to name as separate I think?  Its awesome that you feel a call to be both!  And also just think of bands like the Who, Rush, Black Sabbath, Oasis where other members write most of the lyrics and often even melodies.  Sometimes Axl too, singing patience from Izzy's lyrics for instance.  Or in country music, even gifted lyricists still utilize others material - Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton are covered by everyone and yet they still do a lot of covers themselves!

Sounds like you feel like both and thats great, but also you can get a band going with you singing as you continue to develop your lyrical voice, if you are open to singing others lyrics or collaborating on them with a bandmate.

:lol: Hopefully this approach doesn't crete a Metallica Some Kinda Monster scenario, with "I'm searching for donuts" being a lyrical suggestion from the drummer!  Find a good writing partner. :lol:

Also, lots of very un-rock n' roll writing practices to try out.  Write something every morning even if its silly like "I like cereal but I hate dude-bro morning radio."  Or get those fridge magnets of single words and arrange them every time you're in kitchen.  Or if a lyric you wrote but isn't complete has a character - a persons view other then your own - fill in a survey or a online dating profile as them to learn more about them.  If any lyricists you like have an autobiography; read them!

You say at 20 you feel like you're running outta time.  Axl wrote that lyric "Im outta time" in the track Chinese Democracy around 1998-2000ish?  Then released it in 2008. Possibly written and released in a different millennium!  Just dont do that.  You have time - use it!!

• Like 2

really thanks to all of you for your tips and for the answer's that all of you gave me  and @Silent Jay yeah maybe you can help me with some songs that you dont use :D o and @soon nah i don't mind if other's help me with the lyrics but right now i don't have a band its only me and probably my cousin (he is going to be probably the drummer) me and him want to write all the songs we can this year and the other year start with the 'recruiting' of the other members the thing is that  i don't want to be with a  band that only plays covers (without offending those who do)  I want to have a couple of songs ready :D  

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 1:50 AM, SoundOfAGun said:

Get out of bed and write the idea/lyrics down! That could be your starting point, if I have an idea just before I fall asleep, I get up and record it on my phone (easier that getting a pen and paper). Have you written any lyrics?

I would agree on writing about what you feel/know, it is much harder to write about things that have not happened to you, so try and write about something you have experienced. Do you play an instrument? I don't have a set way of writing, sometimes it is a set of lyrics that I will work up a structure to, sometimes I have the melody already and it is just a case of fitting chords to it. Having an instrument helps trigger inspiration for me. 

Write lyrics and then come back to them the next day, I do this with all my ideas, if I don't like it the next day, it gets binned. Don't be afraid of throwing away stuff, lyrics take practice and I don't think any lyricist can listen to their back catalogue without cringing a little. I know I do! Sometimes all you need is one line of words and a melody....

this is the best advice i have seen in this thread :)

2 hours ago, GN'R MEX said:

yes they put some good tips here :D but i have to ask ¿every verse has to end with a rhyme ?

Depends on how the rhyming structure goes, here is a verse from a song I am working on:

Paper over cracks,

Bottle the demons when in fact 

They're in control most days

Another week denying

When inside we are just dying

What are we trying to save?

Lines 1 & 2 rhyme with each other, as do 4 & 5. Lines 3 & 6 rhyme with each other because it works with the song, rather than lines 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 rhyming. Sometimes I mangle a word that nearly rhymes, which can be interesting and some of the best lyrics don't really rhyme. Experiment and see what works.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

High Hopes kicks ass! :headbang:

good advice about the rhyming thing :) 

Glad you like it, it is going up for sale this week on bandcamp for the low low price of 50p (about 63 cents), along with some other stuff in the next few weeks - including the song with the lyrics in my last post in this thread. The other two songs currently for sale have had price adjustments and I am working on two covers that will be put up free of charge for anyone who wants them when they're finished. I have spent the last week working on a string arrangement for one which is around 80% ready and the other one will be here soon. The overall plan has changed course, but the music keeps on!

• Like 1

Its never too late, Son House didn't learn to play guitar til his 30s...didn't get recognition til his 60s...a lot of the greatest of all times never lived to see recognition, like Robert Johnson.  I ain't no fuckin' musician or nothing but what that tells me is it's just a passion and it's gotta be that way if you wanna see it through.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Its never too late, Son House didn't learn to play guitar til his 30s...didn't get recognition til his 60s...a lot of the greatest of all times never lived to see recognition, like Robert Johnson.  I ain't no fuckin' musician or nothing but what that tells me is it's just a passion and it's gotta be that way if you wanna see it through.  

hmmmm think i will take up the guitar, i feel like i just might be the next Hendrix! :P

4 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

High Hopes on Bandcamp:

https://soundofagun.bandcamp.com/track/high-hopes 

I've set something up for a wider release of the track for the 10th of April and will be adding more to Bandcamp this weekend.

ok i wanna buy your music, i wanna see you in concert ( in the US plz ) i LOVE your music! and High Hopes is just so great! the lyrics, the music all just so so great! :headbang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ok i wanna buy your music, i wanna see you in concert ( in the US plz ) i LOVE your music! and High Hopes is just so great! the lyrics, the music all just so so great! :headbang:

Thank you very much! You should be able to buy through bandcamp, but it will be in plenty of other places by Monday. A US concert may be a challenge, but if enough people vote with their wallets, you never know....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Thank you very much! You should be able to buy through bandcamp, but it will be in plenty of other places by Monday. A US concert may be a challenge, but if enough people vote with their wallets, you never know....

i hope they do! will it be on iTunes? cos that is all i can really figure out ( so technologically challenged :P )

• Like 1