Stephen King's IT (2017)

Definitely my favorite King novel and in my top-five favorite pieces of literature, of all time. Despite the great but controversial TV mini-series, this film has been crying to be given a facelift for so many years. Tim Curry casts a long and impenetrable shadow, but I really like what I’m seeing of this young fellow, Skarsgard, who is playing Pennywise this time. Still, I need to hear the voice. Tim had this really zany, almost carnival-barker type approach, which was totally appropriate, considering the character.

We could talk about the production of this film for miles and miles. As most people know, the great visionary Cary Fukunaga (True Detective) wrestled with this movie for six years and was two weeks out from rolling film, when he walked away from the altar and left horror fans both flabbergasted and dejected. For vague and unclear reasons, he didn’t want to make this movie under the studio’s conditions. So bad, so sad. The marriage of this material and Cary Fukunaga would have been legendary.

Now we have an unknown commodity in this director, whom I don’t know and am not familiar with. I can say the trailer is definitely intriguing.

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

Fukunaga left because he wanted to include the scene with the kids in the sewer and there's NO way any studio in America would ever allow that.

Personally, I don't think it would be necessary (and certainly not welcomed by most) in a movie setting. I get the idea behind the scene, but I find the direct portrayal unnecessary and there are better ways to convey it without ruining the source material.

Just my thoughts.

I'm not sure Cary left because of the orgy. There's been a lot of talk about how he felt his hands were tied and how he wasn't allowed to be "offensive" enough with the material. 

That would hold up, but Cary's script is floating around the web and there's no orgy in it. I get the sense it was other things that the studio objected to. Only Stephen King thought it was a good idea to have a bunch of eleven year olds fucking. I doubt that any filmmaker would be eager to include that in their picture, Cary or anybody else.

My hope is that lips get a little looser after this movie actually comes out. People ease up on talking about things that never were after the box office has spoken.

Yeah, also one of my all time favorite King novels. I loved the original for tv movie. It was so good and true to the book.

I heard this movie will just be about the 'It" clown and the kids, not the adult versions of them.

Hopefully if this movie does well, they will continue when the adults grow up.

I will always love Tim Curry as the clown. He was so scary and creepy.

Okay I agree that showing an orgy with these kids wouldn't have been good. I did get the idea that the girl did sleep with the boys to make them forget or am I getting this wrong?

Anyway, there wasn't anything explicit in King's book, so putting a sex scene in the movie is not necessary.

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
more to say

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

I'm not sure Cary left because of the orgy. There's been a lot of talk about how he felt his hands were tied and how he wasn't allowed to be "offensive" enough with the material. 

That would hold up, but Cary's script is floating around the web and there's no orgy in it. I get the sense it was other things that the studio objected to. Only Stephen King thought it was a good idea to have a bunch of eleven year olds fucking. I doubt that any filmmaker would be eager to include that in their picture, Cary or anybody else.

My hope is that lips get a little looser after this movie actually comes out. People ease up on talking about things that never were after the box office has spoken.

I agree with you.

The idea of the orgy is that the group was somewhat falling apart and that was her idea of bringing them together. That's the general consensus, at least. So I'm like "yeah OK" There are other ways of showing that in a movie, if they even decide to make a scene detailing the group feeling separated.

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, also one of my all time favorite King novels. I loved the original for tv movie. It was so good and true to the book.

I heard this movie will just be about the 'It" clown and the kids, not the adult versions of them.

Hopefully if this movie does well, they will continue when the adults grow up.

I will always love Tim Curry as the clown. He was so scary and creepy.

Okay I agree that showing an orgy with these kids wouldn't have been good. I did get the idea that the girl did sleep with the boys to make them forget or am I getting this wrong?

Anyway, there wasn't anything explicit in King's book, so putting a sex scene in the movie is not necessary.

Nothing explicit? Forget about the sewer orgy between seven 11 year olds?

5 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

He wanted to add some other unnecessary things to it as well though (such as Henry Bowers having sex with a sheep) and he wanted to push for an NC-17 rating. That "scene" might not be in his script, but it's heavily alluded that he wanted to include it.

I'm still on the fence about this one. The trailer looks ok but there is something about the new character design that just isn't working for me. NEDQCOeN8RTRID_3_b.jpg

Specifically the rounded buck teeth and brow prosthetic. This one just doesn't have the creep factor that Bart Mixon's Pennywise had. I also want to hear the voice too. If it's high pitched and whiney like I think it's going to be I think this is going to be more corny than scary.

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, luciusfunk said:

Nothing explicit? Forget about the sewer orgy between seven 11 year olds?

Was that in the book? Damn I must have forgotten that part. It was a while since I read the book and I know it wasn't in the tv movie was it? Damn I've seen this movie a lot, how could I forget this part?

On 1-4-2017 at 0:09 AM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Was that in the book? Damn I must have forgotten that part. It was a while since I read the book and I know it wasn't in the tv movie was it? Damn I've seen this movie a lot, how could I forget this part?

It's not in the TV adaptation given it was a TV adaptation, I do remember reading it in the book.

Wasn't there also a part in the book where Henry Bowers gets jerked off by one of his gang?

Anyway, on topic of the new trailer, I'm glad so far it stays true to the source material and look forward to the movie in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

never saw the mini series. read the book and it was good. i'd say great but King having Bill stutter through most of it did not work for me! did he stutter in the TV mini series? i guess i should watch the trailer and maybe it will give me an indication if he's going to do it in the new movie.  kind of off topic but anyone know anything about The Stand being made into 4 movies like the Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger Games?

54 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

never saw the mini series. read the book and it was good. i'd say great but King having Bill stutter through most of it did not work for me! did he stutter in the TV mini series? i guess i should watch the trailer and maybe it will give me an indication if he's going to do it in the new movie.  kind of off topic but anyone know anything about The Stand being made into 4 movies like the Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger Games?

I didn't notice Bill stuttering in the trailer, but he did in the miniseries. He was played by Jonathan Brandis. 

Haven't heard anything about The Stand in a few years. 

5 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Haven't heard anything about The Stand in a few years. 

it was a year back on IMDB and people were saying it was like a done deal. people were throwing out their choices...Matthew McConaughey as either Stu or the Walkin' Dude and Jennifer Lawrence as Fran were a couple of ideas. hope it happens and they do it justice!

I am almost done with the book, and I must be reading it wrong cause I find it a bit boring. Never have I taken so long to read a book in my life. But I do want to see the movie anyway. Does the mini series have both timelines? Will this movie?

17 minutes ago, Deb Rose said:

I am almost done with the book, and I must be reading it wrong cause I find it a bit boring. Never have I taken so long to read a book in my life. But I do want to see the movie anyway. Does the mini series have both timelines? Will this movie?

The book is one of my favorites. 

The miniseries has both timelines. Most people say the children actors are better than the adults. John Ritter plays Ben. 

This movie only only has the children timeline. They're going to make a sequel with the adult timeline. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deb Rose said:

Well, I have to admit I skipped some of the parts where King went on forever about the "it" coming back every 27 years. It was too long explaining, so I skipped those parts and just read about when the kids saw "it" and then as adults.

Sometimes I think King goes too far like in Misery when he had to write the book that the author was working on. He kept going back and forth from the Misery novel to the novel he was writing to bring back the character for the crazy woman. It was too much.

Anyway, I thought the original tv movie was very good. This clown seems to annoy me more than scare me.

the tv movie was shown in 2 parts and shows both the kids and them as adults.

I read this movie will only concentrate on the kids and them meeting "it" for the first time. I guess if it makes money, they will continue as adults in another movie. Not sure?

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
more to say
  • Like 1

You need to go back and read the journal entries by the adult Mike who does research and talks to residents to find out more about It. It's really interesting to see how there always seems to be some huge sacrifice around the time It wakes up and when It goes back to sleep. Some of the residents even mention seeing a clown at some of these events. 

• Like 1