Phil Rudd's Band...

James Bond

5 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i said you cant judge phils singer (or any other singer) based on their capability of singing acdc songs (unless, obviously, the guy was trying for the acdc singer spot) because those acdc songs are impossible to sing (and they are not even on their album)

there are like 18 people in the world who can sing acdc properly

one of them is dead, one of them is getting deaf, one of them is a money-loving, control-freak lunatic who used to be the best singer ever

and one of them used to be in accept

(i have no idea who are the others)

===

oh, and all these things you say (i get "trigggered", my comments are "filled with bitterness" and are "supposed to hurt or offend" you) are just conclusions that you jumped to

Sure I can. It's out there being performed willingly by these guys. I mean, I wouldn't have exactly expected Phil's band to not play a couple of AC/DC tunes. I even said Damnation sounded okay so it's not like I'm just ripping on the singer to rip on him. To back that up, I mentioned that I gave Phil's album a fair chance. I own it and have listened to it several times. I still think the singer sucks and have since day one. The band is okay - just average. I've said all of this already.

Not really. You quoted my original post and gave me a bunch of italicized random points attacking nuGuns. I still don't really you were getting at. I guess you were basically saying "still better than nuGuns" or whatever, which is fine. That's your opinion. But you asked what I thought was terrible about it when that much should have been obvious - so I answered. Let's not even get into your second points where you laughed a notion like "so if you have a lot money you can BUY better bandmates?" - a conclusion that you yourself have drawn, entirely missing my point (which I did further explain for clarity). Again, the hypocrisy shines. You call me out for "drawing conclusions" and yet you've done the exact same thing.

"maybe you are saying that because axl was so successful on his strategy of buying "extremely talented and very hard working musicians" (:rofl-lol:) for his solo band?" - Again, what's with the Axl shots? And you're trying to make me believe you weren't getting defensive? With statements like these, it's not hard to realize how I got to that conclusion.

Add in a few attempts at condescending remarks ("thats what people do in forums" or "but i am sure you know that") and we get a very stale discussion about Phil's band.

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

Sure I can. It's out there being performed willingly by these guys. I mean, I wouldn't have exactly expected Phil's band to not play a couple of AC/DC tunes. I even said Damnation sounded okay so it's not like I'm just ripping on the singer to rip on him. To back that up, I mentioned that I gave Phil's album a fair chance. I own it and have listened to it several times. I still think the singer sucks and have since day one. The band is okay - just average. I've said all of this already.

Not really. You quoted my original post and gave me a bunch of italicized random points attacking nuGuns. I still don't really you were getting at. I guess you were basically saying "still better than nuGuns" or whatever, which is fine. That's your opinion. But you asked what I thought was terrible about it when that much should have been obvious - so I answered. Let's not even get into your second points where you laughed a notion like "so if you have a lot money you can BUY better bandmates?" - a conclusion that you yourself have drawn, entirely missing my point (which I did further explain for clarity). Again, the hypocrisy shines. You call me out for "drawing conclusions" and yet you've done the exact same thing.

"maybe you are saying that because axl was so successful on his strategy of buying "extremely talented and very hard working musicians" (:rofl-lol:) for his solo band?" - Again, what's with the Axl shots? And you're trying to make me believe you weren't getting defensive? With statements like these, it's not hard to realize how I got to that conclusion.

Add in a few attempts at condescending remarks ("thats what people do in forums" or "but i am sure you know that") and we get a very stale discussion about Phil's band.

all right then

On 4/14/2017 at 9:12 AM, James Bond said:

Why are you taking shots at Guns/Axl because Phil's band sucks? Is it really a valid comparison? The singer of Phil's band is absolutely shit. Musically, sure, it's not that bad, but still comes across as "average bar band" and considering the money Phil has and the people he knows, it's not unreasonable to think he could have got a better singer. I already said Phil himself sounds terrific.

And no, I'm not expecting the singer to sound like Bon/Brian/Axl, but I at least expect him to sound better than a middle aged drunk at a karaoke dive bar.

It's also not like I didn't give this album a fair chance - I paid a premium for a physical copy of this album back when it came out. I was genuinely excited for it (and that was before any of the Phil drama within the band). If you like it better than AC/DC's post-2000 output then go ahead and enjoy it. Don't let my opinion bother you.

I also think The Chris Slade Timeline is pretty shit, but I still bought a copy of their album.

The thing that kills me about his singer on these AC/DC tracks is he just doesn't get the feel of the vocals on an AC/DC track. On the more fun, light-hearted Bon tracks he's got this swagger to his vocals, sort of like he's just rambling to his mates about what a wild night he had - songs like Shot Down In Flames, Rock N' Roll Singer, Cn I Sit Next To You Girl, etc. Then you've got the more serious Bon tracks - songs like Problem Child, Night Prowler, Dirty Deeds; Bon has got this menace to his voice, he makes it totally believable that he's this deranged person he's singing about. And Phil's singer doesn't get that - he's singing these songs as straight as humanly possible. There's no swagger, there's no menace, there's no nothing characterizing his vocals; he's just singing them for the sake of singing them. 

As an extension, this is what is deceptively difficult about playing AC/DC covers. They are, with the exception of the vocals on the first two Brian albums, not difficult songs to play in any technical sense. But to nail the feeling of them is incredibly difficult - the vocals are all about the attitude, and the music is more about the space than it is the notes - there's a feeling there that is incredibly difficult to nail if you don't know the song inside and out, and actually feel the song. Even the people who knock Mal - "oh, he's just a rhythm guitarist" - he is, but he did for rhythm guitar what Keith Richards did for it before him, he completely reinvented the style. 

On 4/15/2017 at 2:58 AM, ludurigan said:

i am taking shots at axl solo band and guns n aliens for one simple reason

because phils stupid three-chord pub band sounds, feels and even looks better than axl's solo band and guns n aliens

the singer obviously doesnt have the voice to sing acdc songs

its pure nonsense to judge the singer by acdc covers (which they are probably playing just to please the fans) since 99,9% of the the singers in the world cant sing acdc

he has a very decent, very rock n roll, sometimes lemmy-ish voice that sounds really good on their original songs

===

oh i find strange that you mention "the money Phil has"

so if you have a lot money you can BUY better bandmates?

is that it?

:rofl-lol:

maybe you are saying that because axl was so successful on his strategy of buying "extremely talented and very hard working musicians" (:rofl-lol:) for his solo band?

really, it doesnt take much to figure out that those guys are likely phils pals or neighbours or a local NZ pub band that phil saw whatever night and liked them and decided to ask them to play with him

i dont know the story but its likely that simple

thats how no-bullshit rock n roll works

you dont need to buy people to play with you

you ask them and if they like you they play with you

but i am sure you know that

As a matter of fact yes. More money means you're able to pay bandmates more, which means you've got a better chance of picking up some real talent.

And say what you want about GN'R members from 2001 to 2014, but you can't complain about a lack of talent (With the exception of Ashba).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

There's no swagger, there's no menace, there's no nothing characterizing his vocals; he's just singing them for the sake of singing them. 

thats a very, very good description of myles kennedy vocals

and, to a sad extent, it also fits to describe axl rose live performances onstage after GNR (a.k.a. after 1991)

===

so do they play as many acdc tracks on their live show? i had no idea. well, i would not play that many acdc songs if were them but i cant help loving them for playing Rock n Roll Singer, one of my top five acdc songs that has been sadly neglected by the band!

===

5 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

As an extension, this is what is deceptively difficult about playing AC/DC covers. They are, with the exception of the vocals on the first two Brian albums, not difficult songs to play in any technical sense. But to nail the feeling of them is incredibly difficult - the vocals are all about the attitude, and the music is more about the space than it is the notes - there's a feeling there that is incredibly difficult to nail if you don't know the song inside and out, and actually feel the song. Even the people who knock Mal - "oh, he's just a rhythm guitarist" - he is, but he did for rhythm guitar what Keith Richards did for it before him, he completely reinvented the style. 

As a matter of fact yes. More money means you're able to pay bandmates more, which means you've got a better chance of picking up some real talent.

And say what you want about GN'R members from 2001 to 2014, but you can't complain about a lack of talent (With the exception of Ashba).

its funny that you seem to have a deep understanding of malcom's and acdc rhythm / grooving / rock n rolling abilities, most people fail to notice that. thats exactly the same thing keith/charlie and izzy/steven have -- that and the "menace" you mentioned 

what seems very bizarre is that despite noticing all that you dont seem to realize that these expensive and "extremely talented and hard working musicians" (:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:) that axl chose to play with him lack EXACTLY that. their rhythm / grooving / rock n roll abilities are disgusting, they have zero "menace" and to make matters pathetically worse they cant write a good song to save their lives

7 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

better than i am from my mom! :P

i am from my mom and dad!

Just listened to this again and... no, right the first time, it's absolutely abysmal! Can't understand at all why they even bothered. I love Phil but that is truly dreadful.

'And they understand my paaaain in the Grand Hotel!' :facepalm: Jesus Christ!

(I suppose at least there was a laugh to be had from the video though:rofl-lol:)

Beyond terrible.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...