Third anniversary of Duffs south America tour with GN'R

I thought that this topic deserves his own thread. Duff McKagan was announced as a temporary replacement for Tommy Stinson during the tour in south america because he had to play some reunion shows with his band The Replacements. The first of those gigs took place in Buenos Aires.

I have to say that even I was glad to see Duff back in the fold and I'm probably one of the biggest fans from Tommy.

axl-rose.jpg?w=600

guns-n-roses-duff.jpg?quality=80&w=640

Those were exciting times.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Słash said:

Tommy was the replacement. 

NOT DUFF

What will be next? 15th Anniversary of Paul Tobias being locked in the vault? 

Duff quit, remember?

OP: It was great to see Duff playing the new songs, especially Shackler's (possibly his first time playing in Drop B?)

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mendez said:

It was great to see Duff playing the new songs, especially Shackler's (possibly his first time playing in Drop B?)

Maybe he got a funny feeling that there is something wrong today

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Słash said:

Thats better

Axl's Solo band* 

I never thought it was a solo band, considering Axl didn't even write most of the instrumental material, only lyrics and melodies.

I think Serj Tankian (from System of a Down) is a more accurate description of a solo band where he wrote every single piece of music (drums, guitars, pianos, orchestra synths) with the exception of two or three songs.

Edited by Mendez

Just now, Mendez said:

I think Serj Tankian (from System of a Down) is a more accurate description of a solo band where he wrote every single piece of music (drums, guitars, pianos, orchestra synths) with the exception of two or three songs.

So you are saying Daron din't write the guitar parts on all SOAD songs expect for 2 or 3? 

15 minutes ago, Słash said:

So you are saying Daron din't write the guitar parts on all SOAD songs expect for 2 or 3? 

No I mean his solo material (Elect the Dead, Imperfect Harmonies, Harakiri) Not System. He wrote every thing (even programmed the drum parts) for his solo stuff.

Edited by Mendez

I remember my excitement!

9 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Duff coming back was the first evidence there would be a reunion.  He was the link between Axl and Slash in my opinion and showed that Axl was accepting of the old band again. I say this in a non joking manner:

Without Duff, there would be no more Guns n' Roses.

this

• Like 2

I was into it at the time and remember it being cool to see him play Shaklers.  But I was probably not as excited as I could have been.  Was maybe a bit disinterested in the band at that point in time.

Looking back, and seeing how it might of brought us to now, I think it's really incredible.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Duff coming back was the first evidence there would be a reunion.  He was the link between Axl and Slash in my opinion and showed that Axl was accepting of the old band again. I say this in a non joking manner:

i agree! Duff should get the Nobel Peace Prize :D j/k but yes i feel he was an integral part in getting Slash and Axl back together.

I wasn't gonna go to that show 'cause I had already seen Axl in 2010 and 2011 and felt I was disrespecting myself by going for a 3rd time to see the Chinese Democracy tour and supporting Axl's terrible use of the GNR name. Six days before the show it was announced that Duff was gonna be coming instead of Tommy and the next day I was buying my ticket to see him and Axl together.

It was a great show (Axl's band was always great IMO and I'm one of the few who doesn't hate DJ so even he wasn't a problem for me) and I never saw a bass so loud in the mix as that night. You could literally hear every single note Duff was playing and that was awesome, he owned every song, some that he hadn't played for decades and some that weren't even his. It was unreal!

Shackler's Revenge was definitely the worst part of the show, biggest moodkiller I've seen. People was overexcited, completely crazy and then that song started and the whole crowd shut down.

Richard did a really badass solo in his solo spot. As much as I don't see him as a great fit for the 2016/17 band, I think he was the MVP of THAT band.

As a side note, Axl got to the stadium pretty late as usual and so Ron came out to entertain the crowd and threw some picks while we were waiting. That was very nice of him.

The most disappointing thing was they played So Fine on the soundcheck but not on the show :max:

I'm not sure how much Duff had to do with Slash's return to be honest. He was VERY close to Izzy and he's not back in the band so it looks like good business had a bigger role in the reunion than Duff. I'm very happy to have him back nonetheless, the more original members there are in the band, the better!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

The most disappointing thing was they played So Fine on the soundcheck but not on the show :max:

I assume that Duff's time for his solo spot was limited and that's why this wasn't played at the concerts.

Edited by Sosso

31 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I personally enjoy seeing the NuGnR fans get so triggered when people refer to it as Axls solo band.  

I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me.

3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

You mean Paul Tobias right?;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Słash said:

Tommy was the replacement. 

NOT DUFF

What will be next? 15th Anniversary of Paul Tobias being locked in the vault? 

love this.  Hysterical.  

5 hours ago, Mendez said:

Duff quit, remember?

OP: It was great to see Duff playing the new songs, especially Shackler's (possibly his first time playing in Drop B?)

Duff didn't quit.  Duff has pride and self respect and wasn't gonna put up with the lead singers ego bullshit.

4 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

I look forward to the day there's a sub forum for all nu-GNR discussion and talk 

there is a place.  It's called gnr truth.com.  They tell all kinds of clown stories over there about axl's "line-ups".  

but I too do believe DUFF played a major role in putting this thing back together.  These SA shows are duff taking one for the team by playing with team Brazil employees to reestablish a relationship with axl.

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 2

Guns N´ Roses have always been a  Axl´s solo project...And this project came to light on March 26, 1985. Anyway,about the third anniversary...I was there, it was surreal to see Duff appearing onstage at the opening and playing Chinese Democracy..Good memories,great show!

4 hours ago, AlexC said:

Seriously. Any mention of NuGuns, ANY at all, and "Axl's solo band..." comments start appearing. That view is so tired and unoriginal. Give it a fucking rest.

It comes from the same old boring people. One of them has nothing else to say and think its cool. The other one just repeats what the others are saying. Its so ridiculous and they dont even see it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Duff definitely had a major role in it! (I think Slash's divorce played a part, too. ;) )