Specs were released/leaked earlier today:

CPU: Eight custom x86 cores
GPU: 6 teraflops
RAM: 12GB GDDR5
Memory bandwidth: 326GB/s
Vapour-chamber cooling
1TB Hard Drive

Expected Price: $499 USD

"In a stress testing version of Forza 6, the console reportedly displayed the game at 4K/60 frames per second, using around 60-70% of its full power. A regular Xbox One runs the game at 1080p/60 frames per second using 90% of its power."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/04/06/project-scorpio-tech-specs-revealed

I'm hoping the Hard Drive is SSD.  

Looks fairly robust.  Will definitely be interested next Christmas.

• Like 1

Crazy specs. Much better than what I expected them to release. It might only run Xbox 1 games, but I agree with what I've read yesterday about it feeling more like a brand new console.

Cool that every old Xbox 1 game will get a visual upgrade/smoother framerate without any patch needed, but that is also possible to take advantage of the hardware even more.

I'm excited, but Sony got the exclusives and every Xbox 1 game could be played on Windows 10. Still doesn't matter, this is very impressive. I hope they reveal some AAA exclusives at E3.

Don't have too many games I want to play on Xbox, but they could turn it around. My guess is the price will be 500$ or 550. Finally a modern console without a shitty CPU. PS4 Pro's cpu is shitty as well.

Edited by Rovim

10 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Apparently it adjusts itself down to 1080p and still enhances games regardless. If its not too expensive I'll get one. But I also need a new computer and the Switch.

That's great and all but for the one Xbox game a year I play I'm not so sure. I use my Xbox lately as mainly an overpriced Blu-ray player. :lol:

• Like 1

I think Microsoft is making a play for people who don't want to bother with PC gaming but wants a higher end machine. Right now, if you're into mostly third party games like GTA or COD, you're probably going to go with the PS4 Pro. The Scorpio changes that equation, especially with more and more people upgrading their TV sets to 4K.  This generation is still young with millions still to buy their first or second current gen system. 

Microsoft could really help itself by having one or two AAA exclusives that aren't Halo or Gears.   With Sony offering titles like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted, MLB The Show, Last of Us Remaster, Bloodborne, and what looks to be an amazing Spiderman game, Microsoft needs a non-FPS killer IP to win over people on the fence who care about exclusive and unique gaming experiences. 

• Like 1

The cooling system is so cool. 12 gigs of ram, 6 teraflops gpu, all great and I think the cpu is about 20% faster. It's still gotta be the weakest part of the hardware, still a Jaguar cpu. This is where this machine is not future proof but it doesn't make sense to put in it a new cpu. It will be silly even imo.

But for what it's supposed to do, which is to play Xbox 1 games at about 4k/30fps, Scorpio's cpu is more than enough I think.

We all know the games are not really there. It's a third party machine for now for the most part. But what Microsoft is doing here is also a positive thing, I think there's a market for more powerful consoles that play the same games of the same generation but with a much better experience. 5 to 8 years or sometimes even more is too much to wait between console generations. It makes sense anyway. More options.

Scorpio is also a 4k blu ray player. That's pretty neat as well. 4k will become standard eventually, the push for 4k gaming without having to own a really powerful pc is a good thing.

But it's the games that matter, gotta show impressive games at E3. Crackdown 3 and go from there.

Edited by Rovim

On 4/12/2017 at 5:11 AM, Oldest Goat said:

If they made it as good as the first one. All the other games in the series are dreadful.

I heard II was okay. I have all three, played maybe a couple hours of II, so I don't remember it. I played about 30 minutes of III and don't remember it. Wish they'd make Anniversary BC. 

• 1 month later...

Finally gets a proper name today.

I'd be really surprised if they keep the Scorpio moniker.  They still need to fit in Xbox One to ensure people know it's part of the same platform and not confuse the average consumer into thinking it's part of a whole new generation.

My best guess is that it will be called the Xbox One Elite, even though they've already released bundles with that name.  I guess it could be called Xbox One Scorpio.  

Not sure if I should get my pre-order in after announcement or wait.  I'm really not interested in actually playing anything until RDR 2 comes out next spring, so I've got a little time.  

• downzy changed the title to Xbox Box One X (formerly Xbox Scorpio)
  • downzy changed the title to Xbox One X (formerly Xbox Scorpio)
19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

$499

Was really hoping for $399, but get why it's not.  It's going to be hard to justify initially with the Xbox S being half the price.  Will definitely be buying a new 4K HDR television come November and not sure if an additional $600 CAD is feasible.   

Think I might hold off until Spring of next year.  RDR2 is the game I have my eye on.  

12 minutes ago, downzy said:

Was really hoping for $399, but get why it's not.  It's going to be hard to justify initially with the Xbox S being half the price.  Will definitely be buying a new 4K HDR television come November and not sure if an additional $600 CAD is feasible.   

Think I might hold off until Spring of next year.  RDR2 is the game I have my eye on.  

It's gonna be a tough thing for me to justify. I already have a PS4 that I haven't turned on in months along with a Switch that I barely use. I think it'll depend on launch titles for me as I'll probably be waist deep in Destiny 2 on the PS4 by the time the XBOneX comes out.

I don't see this being a success. Microsoft is trying to get people to buy the same console for a third time just because it's more powerful? For starters, the majority of console gamers don't give a shit about teraflops. Why didn't they just put this tech towards the next Xbox console? Why did they even bother releasing a Slim if they were coming through with this? Why does Microsoft think that many people want to buy the Xbox One for a THIRD time? I don't feel respected as a consumer at all.

Can we be sure that the Xbox Two (or whatever) is going to be as powerful as the XBX? They're needlessly setting a high bar for themselves.

The only reason I'm even slightly tempted to buy it is because the regular Xbox One is such a pathetic console, with 1 in 4 games having frame rate issues and a user interface that is slower than the Xbox 360's. 

9 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

I don't see this being a success. Microsoft is trying to get people to buy the same console for a third time just because it's more powerful? For starters, the majority of console gamers don't give a shit about teraflops. Why didn't they just put this tech towards the next Xbox console? Why did they even bother releasing a Slim if they were coming through with this? Why does Microsoft think that many people want to buy the Xbox One for a THIRD time? I don't feel respected as a consumer at all.

Can we be sure that the Xbox Two (or whatever) is going to be as powerful as the XBX? They're needlessly setting a high bar for themselves.

The only reason I'm even slightly tempted to buy it is because the regular Xbox One is such a pathetic console, with 1 in 4 games having frame rate issues and a user interface that is slower than the Xbox 360's. 

In fairness, they announced both the Xbox S and the X at the same time so that consumers, like myself, who had not yet jumped into this console generation, could decide whether to buy the S or wait for the X (I chose to wait).  Those who bought the launch version also had the same proposition - wait until the X comes out or grab the S last year.  I wonder how many day-one launch console purchasers bought the S?  I would imagine that many if they foresaw the possibility of buying another Xbox One down the road.

I don't think I've seen a company stumble out of the gate more than Microsoft when they announced the Xbox One.  Don Mattrick, the mook who was in charge of Xbox One development, should have been charged with gross negligence for how badly he butchered both the system and the marketing of the console.  I think the Xbox S was step one of two in resetting the current console generation.  The X is the second step.  I'd rather Microsoft attempt to change course and right the wrongs than stick with a hobbled console for five to seven years.  

I think the X will do well, but would do better if it was competitive priced.  $100 more than the PS4, even if you're getting a better console, is a tough sell since the graphical differences will be marginal and difficult to notice for the casual gamer who might be in the market for a top shelf console.   I'll be buying an Xbox X since I'm only going with one console this time around.   I do think with those updating their tv's to 4k over the next couple of years might be inclined to go with the X over the PS4Pro for the UHD Blu-ray player and slightly better performance on games like CoD and RDR.  

13 hours ago, downzy said:

For less than the cost of one GNR floor ticket, you could own both.  

Which is why no more GNR fl9or tickets for me! Lol. 

Honestly, i dont have a lot of time to olay games right now. Still havent finished Mass Effect Andromeda. Once I start school itll get harder. Spent a lot on a gaming laptop which is nice, but once I get more time and pay off some debt Im going to get a used PS4. Never had playstation so Im pumped to play all the series Ive missed out on someday.

Ive always stuck with Xbox for Halo and didnt enjoy 5. PS seems to have way more quality exclusives... I also want a Switch sometime

• Like 1