Yet another voice thread. Axl's voice hasn't improved since 2011. It got worse, and he copes with it better

He sounds ok and looks great nowadays.

I'd say he puts on a better show now ( Duff + Slash being by his side definitely help him be more charismatic ) but he doesn't sound anywhere near as good as 2006 / 2007 or 2010.

I find it a bit laughable when people outside these boards who never really paid any attention to NuGnR outside the various trainwrecks claim that he sounds better than he ever did during the last twenty years.

That being said, I'd cut him some slack. Yeah, he could sound better by training etc...but he sounded incredible and put on incredible shows for a good chunk of his career which is more than most rock singers can say.

What I can't understand is the discography but hey...

I agree that his voice is the same, it's been since 2011. It's just that he uses it better now compared to some other times. For example early 2014 was one of the worst times of his career vocally. He probably didn't prepare at all for those shows and he didn't seem to have any motivation. So obvious improvement has happened since then, even if his voice is the same in theory.

25 minutes ago, AlexC said:

I understand criticising certain performances at the time or whatever, but to just discard shows and shows of consistently ferocious performances with thousands and thousands of thrilled and satisfied reviews because of nitpicking and comparisons to 7 year old YouTube videos is fucking ridiculous

Thousands of thrilled and satisfied reviews? :lol:

Your use of hyperbole is worrying.

I will never forget watching that Rio stream live. Everyone was excited at the prospect of having the first HD Proshot from a show, and with the way the band performed throughout 2010, we had every right to be excited but then when push came to shove, his level of performance was nowhere near the high standard he set the previous year, for whatever reason. I seen GN'R for the first time in 2012 at the Glasgow show. Axl had gotten himself into a routine by that point and put on a solid three hour show without doing much damage to his vocals. Gone were the long, high piercing screams for the intro to Jungle and in came a sort of rehearsed short burst that showcased a portion of his range. Quite a lot of fans took to the board to slate the state of his voice, disgruntled at how far, in their opinion, that he had fallen in such a short space of time. I was happy at the standard of show the band were putting on and I liked Axl's voice on the most part but I did agree that his voice had lost a lot of grit and control that he had in 2010. The latter half of 2012, we had the fiasco of Bridge School, an acoustic show, which we also had in 2010 where Axl knocked it out the park, but his level of performance, apparently when he had strep throat, was ridiculed on quite a lot of news outlets.

I'm sat here typing this out and decided to put the Golden Gods performance on to accompany my thoughts. I remember the day that happened. I was sat in a lecture, watching Axl, with Duff, struggling his way through the set with weak and inconsistent yelps, and I thought to myself what the fuck? In such a short space of time, I felt his performance had dropped drastically, and with DJ Ashba pissing all over Sweet Child O' Mine with that intro, I was beginning to lose faith. I still came on this board through all the inactivity, but those performances dealt blows. There is only so much you can do to defend the man, but he done himself no favours with some of the performances he churned out when the cameras were on.

Anyway, band members start falling one by one, and no one knows what the fuck is happening. Then we get the ridiculous AC/DC rumours. What the fuck?

Everyone passed it off, thinking it was just a lot of shite churned out by the media, but I find it hard to put into words when the fella found out where Angus and co were rehearsing in Lisbon, and posted the clips that he recorded. 

The buzz I got hearing that ginger mentalist belt out Thunderstruck, the first tune I heard, was unbelievable. That signature high pitched voice, just fucking killing it. He still had it in him. Faith was restored. And here I am, I was lucky enough to see it first hand in Manchester too and Axl killed it. 100 times better than anything I've seen or heard from 2011 on ward. 

TL;DR

Axl, for me, showed in some of his live performances that he had lost a lot of his range from 2011-2014. He just seemed to be going through the motions. I feel the standard of performances from 2016- are vastly superior to anything he's done from the 2011-14 period and feel it's evident when you watch and listen to those first Vegas shows or even Coachella and compare it to one of the shows from the Vegas residency, the 2012 one in particular. 

• Like 2

this video alone is reason enough for Axl to work on his vocals. 

You cant release pro shots of any of their hits besides Jungle Bc of this shitty level of vocal performance...try Paradise City here, You Could Be Mine, November Rain...he's going to get trashed by the "casual fan" just like he gets trashed in the video I posted.

@AlexC you have to see that this problem isn't just a problem for the hardcore fan. People loved the 2002 version of the band, not one person that saw that lineup live said anything negative, but you have one bad VMA performance and the whole image is ruined.."Axl is done" "his voice is fried" 

i want this lineup to be relevant in music, I want to see them on stage at big shows with other artist and blow them away, but you release a video like that sweet child one and nobody can take them serious. 

• Like 1

Is there, like, a conspiracy to post only threads that rag on Axl's voice this year? I wasn't notified of this. It's probably Queen Elizabeth's army of humanoid Russian reptiles' fault. :ph34r: Curses!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

Thousands of thrilled and satisfied reviews? :lol:

Your use of hyperbole is worrying.

Well how many people on average go to a show and out of that how many are happy? It's almost a unanimous slam dunk of positive feedback.

Your use of the word hyperbole is worrying because I have no idea what the fuck it means haha.

Edited by AlexC

4 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Well how many people on average go to a show and out of that how many are happy? It's almost a unanimous slam dunk of positive feedback.

I have no idea dude and I dont think you'll have it either unless.... you've conducted a survey outside the stadium and ask every concertgoer how they've felt about the show or especifically what do they think about Axl's voice.

In general, you could say that most people are happy with it because overall it is a great show. Unlike with nuGn'R, this show doesn't rest exclusively on Axl's shoulders and lots of people are going to see Slash and Duff too.

From what I've experienced, Slash receives more ovations than Axl and people lose it when he plays his solos or walks to the sides of the stage.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I have no idea dude and I dont think you'll have it either unless.... you've conducted a survey outside the stadium and ask every concertgoer how they've felt about the show or especifically what do they think about Axl's voice.

In general, you could say that most people are happy with it because overall it is a great show. Unlike with nuGn'R, this show doesn't rest exclusively on Axl's shoulders and lots of people are going to see Slash and Duff too.

From what I've experienced, Slash receives more ovations than Axl and people lose it when he plays his solos or walks to the sides of the stage.

Yeah you're probably right there. But if Axl sounded terrible I doubt everyone would be this happy, so what I'm saying is, he's still really good.

16 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Yeah you're probably right there. But if Axl sounded terrible I doubt everyone would be this happy, so what I'm saying is, he's still really good.

Because he doesn't sound terrible.

He sounds not so well in a couple songs, others he sounds ok/good and others he sounds great. Overall, the show is pretty good, IMO and any Axl flaw there may be, you really don't notice when you are in the middle of the crazy crowd.

And the show doesn't rely completely on him. He has his "solo" spot when he does "This I Love" and he mostly nails that one very well. He gets ovation from that one.

• Like 1

Someone block this fucking thread.  I appreciate and use this forum a lot and only very occasionally post but some of the re-hashing of the same tired topics on mygnr is beyond the pale at times.  I get its the nature of the beast w online forums but this horse is  dead and beaten.  A much better topic is why they arent signing Dead Horse occasionally :)

Axl sounds great.  he doesnt sound like he did did at 28 and neither does Mick jagger or anyone else who is guilty of getting older.  His voice has aged well especially when he rehearses and is in form and of course there are ebbs and flows.  its not more complicated than that 

• Like 1

Personally I think it sucks. Axl tore 2016 a new asshole and it had everything to do with effort. In 2017 he's slipped back into the autopilot Mickey. So disappointing. And fuck him with his nonsensical excuse of "Different parts of the world like me to sound different." excuse. (paraphrasing there) 

23 hours ago, vail2004 said:

Someone block this fucking thread.  I appreciate and use this forum a lot and only very occasionally post but some of the re-hashing of the same tired topics on mygnr is beyond the pale at times.  I get its the nature of the beast w online forums but this horse is  dead and beaten.  A much better topic is why they arent signing Dead Horse occasionally :)

Axl sounds great.  he doesnt sound like he did did at 28 and neither does Mick jagger or anyone else who is guilty of getting older.  His voice has aged well especially when he rehearses and is in form and of course there are ebbs and flows.  its not more complicated than that 

Ok go start a dead horse thread...guarantee it turns into a vocal issue thread haha

22 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

Personally I think it sucks. Axl tore 2016 a new asshole and it had everything to do with effort. In 2017 he's slipped back into the autopilot Mickey. So disappointing. And fuck him with his nonsensical excuse of "Different parts of the world like me to sound different." excuse. (paraphrasing there) 

I disagree. Since Tokyo Night 2 he was solid. Especially in Auckland, Wellington, Brisbane and Sydney. He was a little off during the last couple Australian shows but nowhere near 2011 level. I just watched Singapore as well and that was a brilliant performance, especially on the verses during Better, something which he is usually a bit weaker on but he appears to be rasping them lately.

I think it's just a case of him not rehearsing between legs and taking 4 or 5 shows to get back into it, therefore he sounds rusty at the beginning of a new leg. Sure he's better on some songs than others as a general rule but he's by no means bad this year at all.

• Like 1

I appreciate the reunion but it's difficult to enjoy SCOM, NR, YCBM and PC with thin, whiny vocals when I see Axl perform a thunderous Thunderstruck.

More fair comparison, Shook Me

Edited by AFGnR
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 3:39 PM, axlinkafayette said:

the song that kills it for me is Yesterdays

Its fucking painful to listen to it now, and i LOVED that song since i heard it before it ever came out on UYI2.

If he can't give the effort or have the ability to sing it like it needs to be sung, they should not play it again

Yea he knows how it should sound but he doesn't want to sing it that way for some reason 

i could understand people not lurking how he sounded on it in Vegas in 14 but he didn't Mickey it, he carried the rasp for the whole song so to me atleast I think he's trying 

• Like 2

On 17/4/2017 at 8:25 AM, AlexC said:

If I was Axl I would absolutely fucking hate GN'R fans. So picky and pathetic. He's given some genuinely legendary performances these past 12 months, Welcome to the Jungle is always brutal, It's So Easy, Brownstone, Nightrain, Chinese Democracy, all bang on, great to near perfect more often than not, even Paradise City is consistently good now and is a shit tonne better than 2011. Not to mention his AC/DC performances. Shoot to Thrill, Back in Black, Thunderstruck, Hells Bells and For Those About to Rock is some of the most impressive singing of his career and he's being compared to Bon Jovi? What the fuck?! Are you actually serious?

What a joke. "Oh he used falsetto on certain sections of a couple of songs during shows that I didn't even attend" Go and fuck yourself.

I understand criticising certain performances at the time or whatever, but to just discard shows and shows of consistently ferocious performances with thousands and thousands of thrilled and satisfied reviews because of nitpicking and comparisons to 7 year old YouTube videos is fucking ridiculous.

He's still really good and better than most. Why focus on the negative when there's so much more positive things to focus on? 

??????. 

You lot really make me laugh sometimes, going on and on about voice, it's fuckin' rock n roll music, not Last Night at the fuckin' Proms, as long as you fuckin' put your back into it i think a slightly or even greatly off kilter voice sounds just as good, this shit ain't designed to be pored over and evaluated and re-evaluated, it's about the feeling you get from the overall thing, not how close it sounds to the fuckin' studio recordings or what Axl sounded like in nineteen eighty whenever in that one in gig in fuckin' Iowa that you fell in love with.  

• Like 2