Bumblefoot: The Press Hold Axl To A Different Standard - It's Bullsh*t

Well Ron Thal recorded music for the Chinese Democracy album, which is a Guns N' Roses album, but also for unreleased stuff. Slash had to learn his solo for Catcher In The Rye.

Just as Gilby Clarke and Sorum, unfortunately, Axl didn't let bumble the chance to write music for the band. Bumblefoot was the Gilby Clarke of 'nu'GNR. Dj Ashba was the employee.

The press do hold Axl to a higher standard, I can't believe how many people thought the NITL tour would  downright collapse because they thought Axl would cause a riot or cancel the tour. To be fair though, Axl has released one album of original material in 25 damn years so it's not all undeserved.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, History2010 said:

Kinda curious who he suggested to take his place. In some dark alternate universe, NuGuns still exits without Ashba and Bumblefoot. 

There was one guy from Brazil I think? There was a interview some time back with some guy said Bumble was trying to hook him up with the gig.

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The press do hold Axl to a higher standard, I can't believe how many people thought the NITL tour would  downright collapse because they thought Axl would cause a riot or cancel the tour. To be fair though, Axl has released one album of original material in 25 damn years so it's not all undeserved.

I think the media, I'm not sure want is the right word, they kind of want Axl to be a celebrity, act like a celebrity, give them access, date famous people give them something to write about. But since that doesn't happen he gets the bad boy or crazy guy of rock n roll, and they get mileage out of that. It's not necessarily personal but that became his role, coming off the controversy of early Guns, Axl emodied the whole GNR thing even if he didn't always do everything. At first it's like any Publicity is good publicity, but then you want to sing about more than just street life or whatever. 

The weird thing about the 1 album of material is that if GNR had stayed together with Izzy and Slash writing, I think we might have still only got those 6-7 really Axl Rose songs - SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar, TIL, Prostitute. We may have got Axl singing on Izzy tunes or putting lyrics on Slash material. There maybe a few more of those lurking, But we got a good dose of Bucket, Finck, Tobias, Pitman. I don't know, looking at it now, is it better for GNR's legacy that we didn't get 3 albums of those guys material sprinkled with 6-10 Axl songs. And I know the whole Axl songs thing isn't pc or whatever, but as I see it those songs like SOD, Catcher, TIL only happen when Axl is around. Those 6 songs on CD are what we would have got from Axl in that period from 95-2005 even if Guns were still together. I look at what Slash and Izzy were doing elsewhere and I think yeah Axl could have sung on that and it would be basically a good GNR song. I think mostly Slash's material would be much cooler with Axl singing, even if sometimes his lyrics aren't that sexy. Izzy I feel like are better with him singing unless Slash really works it up to be heavier. Seems like there's a couple of Slash/Izzy GNR albums that I'm missing, but I got Axl's GNR material for those years. So overall I don't feel like I missed that much. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Brazilian guitarist??? WTF! :facepalm:

Brazilian nanny, brazilian manager, brazilian personal assistant, brazilian family, brazilian entourage, endless tours in Brazil.... :scared:

What is left?
Axl wearing brazilian flag biker shorts?? :crazy:

Relax

• Like 3

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Brazilian nanny, brazilian manager, brazilian personal assistant, brazilian family, brazilian entourage, endless tours in Brazil.... :scared:

What is left?

Chill

Bumble was frustrated and wanted out, who could blame him?  The guy's creative and driven as fuck, and his desires weren't being met when being tied down by a band who always plays it safe.  It is sad to see that there's been zero communication between the two parties since he left, but maybe it's for the better if like Bucket, the GnR chapter of Bumble's life is something he'd prefer left in the past.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

To be fair though, Axl has released one album of original material in 25 damn years so it's not all undeserved.

Is there some rule or law being broken? Where's the bylaw that says you have to release music within some specified time frame?? Artists release music when they feel they have something to contribute. Not on anybody else's schedule. Furthermore, whatever standards the press hold AXL to has nothing to do with releasing music let alone deserving anything.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, wasted said:

I think the media, I'm not sure want is the right word, they kind of want Axl to be a celebrity, act like a celebrity, give them access, date famous people give them something to write about. But since that doesn't happen he gets the bad boy or crazy guy of rock n roll, and they get mileage out of that. It's not necessarily personal but that became his role, coming off the controversy of early Guns, Axl emodied the whole GNR thing even if he didn't always do everything. At first it's like any Publicity is good publicity, but then you want to sing about more than just street life or whatever. 

The weird thing about the 1 album of material is that if GNR had stayed together with Izzy and Slash writing, I think we might have still only got those 6-7 really Axl Rose songs - SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar, TIL, Prostitute. We may have got Axl singing on Izzy tunes or putting lyrics on Slash material. There maybe a few more of those lurking, But we got a good dose of Bucket, Finck, Tobias, Pitman. I don't know, looking at it now, is it better for GNR's legacy that we didn't get 3 albums of those guys material sprinkled with 6-10 Axl songs. And I know the whole Axl songs thing isn't pc or whatever, but as I see it those songs like SOD, Catcher, TIL only happen when Axl is around. Those 6 songs on CD are what we would have got from Axl in that period from 95-2005 even if Guns were still together. I look at what Slash and Izzy were doing elsewhere and I think yeah Axl could have sung on that and it would be basically a good GNR song. I think mostly Slash's material would be much cooler with Axl singing, even if sometimes his lyrics aren't that sexy. Izzy I feel like are better with him singing unless Slash really works it up to be heavier. Seems like there's a couple of Slash/Izzy GNR albums that I'm missing, but I got Axl's GNR material for those years. So overall I don't feel like I missed that much. 

Great post.  I agree with you.  Axl's "solo" contributions to Appetite and Illusions were few and aside from his lyrics contributions, don't think he is capable of being a song writing Factory and probably lacks the confidence in his own work to put out more songs without serious collaboration from other band members. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wasted said:

It's a controversial opinion and all that, but I feel the same way. I think Slash wanted Axl to do a solo album, dump all the nonsense there, and get back to working on a Guns album.

But how long for Axl to finish a solo album then? and Axl probably views Gn'R as kinda his own thing anyway. No one knows if they had another album in them had Izzy, Slash, and Duff stayed. It's possible, but I don't really believe it would have been on the level of UYI. Even Chinese contains a lot of genuine elements that I'm not so sure the band at that time was capable of creating together like they did before.

They weren't on the same page personally and musically as well, Slash and Duff were problematic when it came to working on Axl tunes even November Rain and Estranged. I can't see Slash doing another Guns album full of ballads and layers then. Now that they're older, they're willing to compromise which could give them a better chance to complete another album.

Now we have 10 Izzy albums, 7 from Slash, and Chinese. It's an interesting thought, maybe it wasn't like Ozzy said, it wasn't a tragedy they broke up.

They avoided a shit album and the standard approach to mishandling success. Maybe it was worth it for everyone that it happened like this, the catalog is enough and undiluted, they've released a small but meaningful body of work, The Chinese saga was fascinating for new Guns fans at least, and now they're delivering nostalgia to the masses right on time.

With options for the future like Angus and maybe even a new album not soon, it's pretty good actually cause I don't expect Axl to deliver a Guns album in 2 weeks.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

It's a controversial opinion and all that, but I feel the same way. I think Slash wanted Axl to do a solo album, dump all the nonsense there, and get back to working on a Guns album.

But how long for Axl to finish a solo album then? and Axl probably views Gn'R as kinda his own thing anyway. No one knows if they had another album in them had Izzy, Slash, and Duff stayed. It's possible, but I don't really believe it would have been on the level of UYI. Even Chinese contains a lot of genuine elements that I'm not so sure the band at that time was capable of creating together like they did before.

They weren't on the same page personally and musically as well, Slash and Duff were problematic when it came to working on Axl tunes even November Rain and Estranged. I can't see Slash doing another Guns album full of ballads and layers then. Now that they're older, they're willing to compromise which could give them a better chance to complete another album.

Now we have 10 Izzy albums, 7 from Slash, and Chinese. It's an interesting thought, maybe it wasn't like Ozzy said, it wasn't a tragedy they broke up.

They avoided a shit album and the standard approach to mishandling success. Maybe it was worth it for everyone that it happened like this, the catalog is enough and undiluted, they've released a small but meaningful body of work, The Chinese saga was fascinating for new Guns fans at least, and now they're delivering nostalgia to the masses right on time.

With options for the future like Angus and maybe even a new album not soon, it's pretty good actually cause I don't expect Axl to deliver a Guns album in 2 weeks.

Rovim, agree with you on the first line of your reply. Back in 96 before slash left, and just before he took off to do his blues ball tour  I read an interview with slash in an Australian magazine (hot metal) that interviewed slash as the interview was discussing how guns could make an album and how everyone musically wasn't getting along as this was when Paul Huge was with the band. The interviewer asked slash why doesnt axl release a solo album, and slash's answer was in axls mind guns IS his solo band hence the musical direction issues they were having.

11 hours ago, killuridols said:

What is left?

He definitely has a soft corner for Brazilians. ;)

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

I get where you're coming from but a lot of people feel like GnR soiled their reputation with Chinese Democracy and even TSI. So regardless of whether the old band stayed together or not, their follow ups would have been increasingly divisive. UYI itself split the fanbase back in the day.

I don't think it could have worked between Axl and Slash given where they were at mentally back then. Like Marc Canter said, the only chance to make it work was for Axl to do a solo album - the band was doomed when he chose not to. I do think Duff would have hung on there if Axl would have worked things out with him as far as schedules go. I don't think they fell out over musical differences. It seemed like more of a "respect" issue for Duff.

Who knows. I think had Slash hung in there he would have put enough pressure on Axl to get the album out by '99. Was it worth losing the old band for 20+ years to hear 14 new songs w/ Buckethead and Finck? As much as I love Bucket, I can't rationalize it. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Funky.Monkey said:

Interview With Ex-Guns N’ Roses Guitarist Bumblefoot

April 16, 2017

XS ROCK: So tell me about what happened at the end between you and Guns N’ Roses? Were you let go?

Bumblefoot: No. It was me. I was really burned out. I felt like I had contributed everything that I possibly could as a performer, but my heart was in more things where I was creating, writing, producing and teaching. All of things that I was doing before the heavy touring of GNR.  I really felt that it was definitely time for me to go. I felt like I had taken it as far as I could and I was reaching a point where I was stressed and unhappy. And that’s not good for me and it’s not good for them. So in early March of 2014, we were rehearsing for the next 3 months of touring. The first thing that I told the band when I walked in was that this is going to be my last run. I finished out the shows and I did try to recommend people to take my place. I didn’t want to stop them from moving forward or anything like that.

XS ROCK: So is Axl Rose as difficult of a guy to work with as people make it sound in the press?

Bumblefoot: He’s a human being and he has a big heart. The press doesn’t give him the same consideration that they would some other people. You know, they try to hold him to a different standard, where he’s always supposed to be happy and smiling, nothing should ever be wrong and he’s always supposed to be in a good mood and do the right thing and that’s stupid. It’s bullshit. It perpetuates a lot of negativity and incites a lot of negativity that isn’t deserved. He’s dealt with a lot of that. I had a great, great time working with him. Is everything perfect? No. I’ve probably pissed him off more than the other way around, but he’s just a human being.

XS ROCK: So have you spoken with him since you left?

Bumblefoot: No. The relationship is over between me and them. They’re doing fine and I’m doing fine and that’s the way it’s supposed to be. I don’t regret leaving. I wish it could have smoother on a personal level. I’m happy to see what they’re doing now and I’m glad I was able to be part of their world that makes people so happy at the shows. It was a gift. I’m grateful and I thank them for it.

http://xsrock.com/interview-with-ex-guns-n-roses-and-art-of-anarchy-guitarist-bumblefoot/

google is about to release a new app "google subtitler"

apparently it is an envolution of "google translator"

this thing is sorta able to point what people "really mean" when they say something

i just copied and pasted this piece of bumblefoot interview to the beta version of "google subtitler"

i am not sure if the app works properly!

===

April 16, 2017

XS ROCK: Were you fired from Axl's band?

Zumbleboot: No, I left. I left right when I noticed that I had collected enough money and exposure to take my solo career to another level. There was no need to stay for one more minute. Now millions of people know who I am and journalists are always trying to interview me hoping that I will badtalk axl. I give them little pieces of it from time to time. They get happy. Then I say something nice about Axl and they get really confused. But so far they keep coming back in hope that I will open the can of worms someday.

XS ROCK: So is Axl Rose an asshole?

Zumbleboot: Yes he is a perfect asshole human being -- just like you and me and the rest of us. But he gave me so much money and exposure, you know? I would go through all of his nonsense as many times as needed to to get that money and exposure.

XS ROCK: So have you spoken with Axl Rose since you left?

Zumbleboot: No. There is no need to. We were never friends and will never be. It was business. But let me tell you: I’m so grateful for all the money and exposure.

===

you can try it here = https://beta.subtitle.google.com/

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

this thing is sorta able to point what people "really mean" when they say something

i just copied and pasted this piece of bumblefoot interview to the beta version of "google subtitler"

===

April 16, 2017

Zumbleboot: No, I left. I left right when I noticed that I had collected enough money and exposure to take my solo career to another level. There was no need to stay for one more minute. Now millions of people know who I am and journalists are always trying to interview me hoping that I will badtalk axl. I give them little pieces of it from time to time. They get happy. Then I say something nice about Axl and they get really confused. But so far they keep coming back in hope that I will open the can of worms someday.

Zumbleboot: Yes he is a perfect asshole human being -- just like you and me and the rest of us. But he gave me so much money and exposure, you know? I would go through all of his nonsense as many times as needed to to get that money and exposure.

Zumbleboot: No. There is no need to. We were never friends and will never be. It was business. But let me tell you: I’m so grateful for all the money and exposure.

===

Thal's a good guy. I don't think he really milked the GnR association like DJ Ashba. 

Bumble's whole deal was utter frustration and quitting after realizing the band was going nowhere. All of these guys like Robin Finck, Bucket, Bumble, etc were sold a dream that Axl had this masterpiece in his hands that he would release and they would take over the world and release album after album. None of that happened. You can really feel Bumble's disappointment in all of these interviews.

The only weird thing with Ron Thal is that he really thought of himself as being part of the Guns N Roses band and history -- remember his embarrassing interview around the time of the rock n roll hall of fame nomination? He didn't understand that he's just a replaceable guitarist for hire in the GnR machine. That's why none of the real artists in the band like Freese, Brain, Bucket, Finck, etc ever openly talk about their time with Axl unless they're specifically asked about it in interviews. What could they say really? Yeah we recorded a ton of stuff and barely any of it ever got released? For these guys, even money isn't as valuable as their time.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

===

April 16, 2017

===

If you have enough time to make that kind of shit up, then you should consider finding a hobby.

BBF really is a good guy; he's been very complimentary about GnR and Axl since leaving. It sounds as though he just knew that it wasn't a good fit for him anymore and it was time to move on - and that's something that can be done without blame on either side. I'm sure many of us have walked away from, say, jobs or relationships when they've run their course. He seems to be doing what he wants to do with his life with grace and without bitterness - and I wish him the best.

It's a shame that he isn't in touch with them any more on a social level, though. On the one hand I get it, a lot of the time when we leave jobs we don't exactly stay in touch with former colleagues and bosses, but on the other hand, he does seem like a really good guy.

IMHO he's right about the standards that the press holds for Axl, too. There are celebrities out there who have actually killed people who have kinder press than Axl does.

Edited by stella

He as the same reason why others left cause the band was not moving forward in terms of releasing new music, all of them recorded so many parts and as a musician they wanted the fans to hear that stuff. 

So, the press is out ta get Axl? Same old story :zzz:

I think Axl gets the treatment he deserves. People joke with all the artists for various reasons. If Axl wanted to be more respected he could try to act more professionally. He's a recluse/entertainer most of the time. Nobody gives much of a fuck about him anymore anyway.

• Like 4