British Politics

Gracii Guns

12 minutes ago, Dazey said:

To be fair to her, a fishing boat dumped in the middle of the high street isn't such an uncommon occurrence in Newport! Poor dear probably just got lost. :lol: 

190415143907-11-extinction-rebllion-clim

I told her she'd better not get arrested because she's babysitting on Wednesday. She's been doing this since the 80's Greenpeace, CND the lot. 

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Farage seems like a putrid toad with no smarts or charm.

If only that were the case. Unfortunately he does have the smarts. He's still an odious, putrid, charmless toad however. 

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

How do you mean?

I mean Farage isn't a stupid man. He's a well educated ex city banker who like many of his ilk resent the European union because EU regulations rein in the worst excesses of his cronies in the city. Brexiteers are typically divided into two factions. First, the upper echelons who would fuck you and I senseless given the slightest opportunity and are frustrated by the fact that laws exist to prevent them doing so.

These people are gagging  for an economic system where laissez faire capitalism rules and everybody else can go fuck themselves. They cloak it all in vague ramblings of sovereignty and alleged self determination when all they really mean is that they regard themselves as a cut above, a ruling class to whom we all must bow and be fucking grateful for the privilege lest we remain under the fictional boot heel of an institution that in reality affords us innumerable benefits in comparison to any genuine drawbacks.

A distant second is the majority of Brexit voters. The great unwashed who have fuck all and have simply been conned by group number one into thinking that this is the fault of a third party who tend to be just that little bit more brown and foreign than their upbringing would allow them to be comfortable with. 

In summary the posh Brexit guys want to be let loose to fuck the poor and the poor want rid of the N1ggers, Pakis and Poles because "dey tek errrr jeerrrbs!"  Nobody stands to benefit from the whole debacle other than the poshos and hedgefund managers and the rest of us have to suffer for their greed and ignorance.

[/rant]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

he's a horrible little so and so

Irrefutably. He'd probably admit it himself.

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

only brandishes these views to suit his own needs and pander to his own corner.

Perhaps, but I don't think anyone can deny his strong desire to withdraw Britain from the EU. He left the Tories as a consequence of Maastrict in 1992. The power of the Tories for furthering one's career is infinitely larger than a tin-pot party like UKIP. 

Read about that journalist killed. Should be bigger news and breaking on all news stations. 

I'm for peace, but in this instance should have sent army in and detained all the rioters to find out who was shooting.

These people should'nt get away with this.

Protestant or Catholic it doesn't matter.

Edited by AtariLegend

The ideas of sovereignty and self-determination is pretty much flawed. How does it matter for someone from north Norway if they are ruled by people sitting in Oslo or in Brussels? You still have to vote for politicians representing your national interests and relying on regional democracy to represent your interests locally. It is not like living in a state means you have full self-determination, you still have to adapt to whatever your national politicians and government says. Or are Brexiteers really just confused tea partiers? Loonies who want to escape the grid and live in anarchy? But their inherent ignorance or fear of foreigners make them huddle around the concept of the state while fearing the concept of interstate? 

By joining the EU you can at least hope that certain pan-regional issues are handled better than if each state are trying to sort them out individually, like terrorism, pollution, crime, human trafficking, immigration, etc. The imagined loss of sovereignty is a red herring that distracts from the obvious benefits and any structural and organizational issues can be fixed. 

Just like it was a good idea to form England out of all the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, it is a good idea to have England in the EU. The challenge is always to find the balance between letting local issues be handled locally while letting international issues be handled internationally, while allowing for efficient, fair international democracy and transparency to avoid corruption from greater concentration of power. 

But there is no reason to believe that when going from state to international, rather than kingdoms to states (or tribes to petty kingdoms), these problems grows too big to be solved. It has more or less worked for USA and improvements are pretty obvious. 

Edited by SoulMonster

Lets not forget that the Great Wars served as the motivator to build the EU. In the wars nations lost sovereignty or were threatened with the real possibility of loosing sovereignty. So the EU can be seen as protecting sovereignty.

21 hours ago, Dazey said:

I mean Farage isn't a stupid man. He's a well educated ex city banker who like many of his ilk resent the European union because EU regulations rein in the worst excesses of his cronies in the city. Brexiteers are typically divided into two factions. First, the upper echelons who would fuck you and I senseless given the slightest opportunity and are frustrated by the fact that laws exist to prevent them doing so.

These people are gagging  for an economic system where laissez faire capitalism rules and everybody else can go fuck themselves. They cloak it all in vague ramblings of sovereignty and alleged self determination when all they really mean is that they regard themselves as a cut above, a ruling class to whom we all must bow and be fucking grateful for the privilege lest we remain under the fictional boot heel of an institution that in reality affords us innumerable benefits in comparison to any genuine drawbacks.

A distant second is the majority of Brexit voters. The great unwashed who have fuck all and have simply been conned by group number one into thinking that this is the fault of a third party who tend to be just that little bit more brown and foreign than their upbringing would allow them to be comfortable with. 

In summary the posh Brexit guys want to be let loose to fuck the poor and the poor want rid of the N1ggers, Pakis and Poles because "dey tek errrr jeerrrbs!"  Nobody stands to benefit from the whole debacle other than the poshos and hedgefund managers and the rest of us have to suffer for their greed and ignorance.

[/rant]

No recollection whatsoever of writing this. :lol: 

Back to the fart jokes where I belong! :lol: 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is nothing wrong with club cricket. I am going to a club game tomorrow as it happens. 

I grew up in Redcar Cricket Club. Spent every summer weekend for years there as a kid. Love going to local cricket in the summer. Don't watch most of the game but it's great to check the scoreboard every hour or so while getting leathered.

DO you remember noises the old scoreboxes from back in the 80's made when scorers were pulling the strings to change the scores on the panels? "K,chunk! K,chunk! K,chunk! K,chunk! K,chunk!" :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I grew up in Redcar Cricket Club. Spent every summer weekend for years there as a kid. Love going to local cricket in the summer. Don't watch most of the game but it's great to check the scoreboard every hour or so while getting leathered.

DO you remember noises the old scoreboxes from back in the 80's made when scorers were pulling the strings to change the scores on the panels? "K,chunk! K,chunk! K,chunk! K,chunk! K,chunk!" :lol: 

Yes I miss that. There are not many around now. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Yes I miss that. There are not many around now. 

I used to go in the scoreboxes as a kid and pull on the strings to work them. It's funny that these things stick with you isn't it?

7 hours ago, Dazey said:

I used to go in the scoreboxes as a kid and pull on the strings to work them. It's funny that these things stick with you isn't it?

There are still a few of them round. The one at Jesmond, which is a ramshackle ground where Northumberland CC play (minor county), has one. That ground is so tiny that the balls periodically go flying into the cemetery.