British Politics

Gracii Guns

53 minutes ago, Padme said:

I don't question their right to expel Campbell. I just don't get why it is a number one priority. Labour has a a lot bigger problems to be concerned about

Labour has effectively been hijacked by a (new) far-left movement, Momentum, which is basically a militant-religious cult devoted to Jeremy Corbyn. For Momentum, Corbyn is completely infallible. Campbell is a über Blairite and therefore of thoroughly Europhile credentials, who believes Corbyn's handling of Brexit has been politically ambiguous and shambolic.

More on Momentum: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum_(organisation)

3 hours ago, Padme said:

I don't question their right to expel Campbell. I just don't get why it is a number one priority. Labour has a a lot bigger problems to be concerned about

I don't think it was their priority. However Campbell was on Sky news and Newsnight basically suggesting that Labour voters vote Lib Dem in a quazzi non subtle way. They didn't have much choice and it's not like they'd need to investigate it, when he said so repeatedly on live TV.

Anyway although I agree with him on staying in EU and Labour's position is a mess, this is one of Tony Blair's spin doctors during the Iraq War that people seem to forget about when he's on TV talking about politics.

Edited by AtariLegend

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Labour has effectively been hijacked by a (new) far-left movement, Momentum, which is basically a militant-religious cult devoted to Jeremy Corbyn. For Momentum, Corbyn is completely infallible. Campbell is a über Blairite and therefore of thoroughly Europhile credentials, who believes Corbyn's handling of Brexit has been politically ambiguous and shambolic.

More on Momentum: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum_(organisation)

Momentum and Corbyn are both awful. I do laugh at the attempt by young Tories to do something comparable though. They got about 5 members. :lol: 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/09/short-life-and-brutal-death-activate-tory-momentum

Edited by Dazey

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Momentum and Corbyn are both awful. I do laugh at the attempt for young Tories to do something comparable though. They got about 5 members. :lol: 

The ironic thing is Momentum are largely Euro fanatics whereas Corbyn is a (old) far-left Eurosceptic, so there is this weird scenario always being enacted whereby Corbyn is placed on a pedestal by Momentum and made to somewhat mouth pro-EU sentiment, whilst really - in his heart - being an old Bennite. There is this weird contradiction at the root of the whole Momentum-Corbyn thing.

"However, in her ruling on Wednesday, the judge said she was satisfied that there was a prima facie case for the allegation that there had been an abuse of the public’s trust in a holder of office.

She referred to statements provide by Ball’s team from members of the public that addressed the impact that “the apparent lie” had on them. She also cited the contention by Power that “there will seldom be a more serious misconduct allegation against a member of parliament or mayor than to lie repeatedly to the voting public on a national and international platform, in order to win your desired outcome”."

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Boris Johnson have to appear in court to answer for his lies that contributed to the Brits being misled and making fools of themselves in the EU referendum: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/29/boris-johnson-appear-court-eu-referendum-misconduct-claims

Damn. It is that pesky bus why I hate the EU! Who'd have known?

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Damn. It is that pesky bus why I hate the EU! Who'd have known?

You have your own stupid reasons for hating the EU, but apparently people were moved by Johnson's lies:

"[The judge] referred to statements provide by Ball’s team from members of the public that addressed the impact that “the apparent lie” had on them".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

You have your own stupid reasons for hating the EU, but apparently people were moved by Johnson's lies:

"[The judge] referred to statements provide by Ball’s team from members of the public that addressed the impact that “the apparent lie” had on them".

I don't know anyone who looked at that bus and said, ''maybe I'll vote leave''.

In reality, and you cannot be expected to know this as you know nothing about Anglo-European relations, Britain has had a much longer tradition of Euroscepticism from which a leave vote can be sourced. Euroscepticism has been rife in Britain since 1973. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Well you brought the bus up, didn't you, so I assume you do?

No, I brought the bus up (or rather Johnsons' lies) because it is the focal point of a court summons and that, in theory at least, he can be held accountable for misleading the Brits and partially resulting in them making a blunder in the EU referendum. I honestly don't care if you or anyone you know were influenced by the lies, that is irrelevant as long as other were. Get over yourself. The world, nor Britain, doesn't evolve around some decrepit fishing villages in the north of England.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No, I brought the bus up (or rather Johnsons' lies) because it is the focal point of a court summons and that, in theory at least, he can be held accountable for misleading the Brits and partially resulting in them making a blunder in the EU referendum. I honestly don't care if you or anyone you know were influenced by the lies, that is irrelevant as long as other were. 

I am really glad you said ''partially'' as, otherwise, you'd be ignoring fifty years of British Euroscepticism (left and right).

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The world, nor Britain, doesn't evolve around some decrepit fishing villages in the north of England.

Pure Guardian. Hatred of the poor and the north of England. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Pure Guardian. Hatred of the poor and the north of England. 

Nah, more the stuck in the past, blame everyone but oneself, lash out, vote stupidly, fail to understand mentality of people I dislike. As for the north of England, my life is less fun if I don't get to visit the magnificent city of Manchester at least twice a year. 

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Nah, more the stuck in the past, blame everyone but oneself, lash out, vote stupidly, fail to understand mentality of people I dislike. As for the north of England, my life is less fun if I don't get to visit the magnificent city of Manchester at least twice a year. 

Manchester is remain - Dazey could've told you this. The North West however, Manchester's retainer Euro-constituency, is leave (The Brexit Party/UKIP/Tommy Robinson/Eng Dem: 37.65%). 

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Manchester is remain - Dazey could've told you this. The North West however, Manchester's retainer Euro-constituency, is leave (The Brexit Party/UKIP/Tommy Robinson/Eng Dem: 37.65%). 

Well that was randomly irrelevant, but thanks I guess.

2 hours ago, Padme said:

Watson's got his own leadership bid going. Not sure the membership will go for him though. I think this is a right vs. left issue when you look at those involved.

Just want to remind anyone that's worried about Campbell. He's one of the ones that sexed up the Iraq dossier that helped lead to several hundred thousand deaths. The American's may have went anyway, but that was one of the major things that contributed to us going.

Just because he voted remain, does'nt mean that if hell exists.. he won't find himself in the 9th circle.

Only I think Corbyn's a disaster, but he's there as a backlash to those on the right of the party. 

- Yip. Corbyn is still a Brexiteer,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/30/soft-brexit-corbyn-labour-second-referendum-some-way-off-backs

- The guy who is prosecuting Boris Johnson has spent £50,000 of the £280,000 raised from remainer donations on, a salary for himself, self-defence classes, a luxury flat and anti-Brexit branded cupcakes,

14144370-7085721-image-a-27_155921237051

Edited by DieselDaisy

If yougov is right (which it probably isn't), then the Lib Dems are ahead in general election polls.

Personally though after 2010, I'd still trust Vince Cable as much as Gove. Voters have such short memories or maybe he's got a new generation of voters who can't remember pre 2015.

4 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

If yougov is right (which it probably isn't), then the Lib Dems are ahead in general election polls.

Personally though after 2010, I'd still trust Vince Cable as much as Gove. Voters have such short memories or maybe he's got a new generation of voters who can't remember pre 2015.

I still don't get the hate for the Lib Dems over the coalition. I think if anything they were a moderating influence.

The yougov poll is bollocks though as it assumes that The Brexit Party will be fielding candidates which is unlikely if we leave on October 31st with no deal as is looking more and more likely.

14 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I still don't get the hate for the Lib Dems over the coalition. I think if anything they were a moderating influence.

The yougov poll is bollocks though as it assumes that The Brexit Party will be fielding candidates which is unlikely if we leave on October 31st with no deal as is looking more and more likely.

They picked Halloween eh?  Fitting.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Austerity, student fees, letting the Tories in? Suddenly becoming a pro foreign intervention party during the coalition.

Wouldn't trust Cable as much as I would Gove. 

47 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Austerity, student fees, letting the Tories in? Suddenly becoming a pro foreign intervention party during the coalition.

Wouldn't trust Cable as much as I would Gove. 

There is your answer Dazey. A shocking manifesto betrayal even by political standards considering how much they campaigned on behalf of this issue.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is your answer Dazey. A shocking manifesto betrayal even by political standards considering how much they campaigned on behalf of this issue.

...And they basically tried to laugh it of at the time, then say will it's not like we ever going to do it. "It's a bad idea anyway". 

Can't believe it only took several years for people to forget.