Gracii Guns

British Politics

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

"As an MP, Widdecombe was known for opposing the legality of abortion, her opposition to various issues of LGBT rights such as an equal age of consent and the repeal of Section 28, her support for the re-introduction of the death penalty, the retention of blasphemy laws and her opposition to fox hunting."

Ugh.

She's a moderate compared to the likes of Peter Bone, Christopher Choose, Bill Cash and Esther Mcvey her former colleagues.

One of these types that go on comedy and panels shows in an attempt to humanise themselves.

46 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

She's a moderate compared to the likes of Peter Bone, Christopher Choose, Bill Cash and Esther Mcvey her former colleagues.

One of these types that go on comedy and panels shows in an attempt to humanise themselves.

Yeah, she is horrible. 

• Like 1

At the rugby there was some knobhead Leinster fan parading a massive EU flag.

Posted (edited)

Verhofstadt, he with the floppy Gary Neville hair, saying Farage ''would rather sign in & go to the pub'' little realising that that is about the greatest accolade one can bestow on a Briton haha. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Someone left a cream cheese tub with blow in it at my place. 

I flushed the blow.

Then I recycled the container.

And I thought of how disgusted many of you would be with one or both of my actions :lol:

• Haha 1

Widdecombe got a standing ovation at a working men's club. 

36 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They probably thought she was Bernard Manning. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

They probably thought she was Bernard Manning. 

Or a strippergram. She'd be regarded as a ''bit of a looker'' in some of those northern towns. 

48 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sad she gets a standing ovation anywhere. Whats a working mens club, like a union hall?

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Sad she gets a standing ovation anywhere. Whats a working mens club, like a union hall?

Exactly what it says on the tin basically: a boozer for working class people. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Exactly what it says on the tin basically: a boozer for working class people. 

She was speaking in a private bar? Or she just showed up for a round and got an applause?

1 minute ago, soon said:

She was speaking in a private bar? Or she just showed up for a round and got an applause?

Working men's clubs are private clubs but usually non-members can attend (you just have to sign a book). 

11 minutes ago, soon said:

This is the best example of a northern working men’s club I can think of. 

Thanks lads, still not sure what she was doing there or what gained the applause, but thats no matter.

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Working men's clubs are private clubs but usually non-members can attend (you just have to sign a book). 

This too is like attending a labour council meeting here. Neat.

So etymologically speaking mens clubs are private houses and "pubs" are public houses.

15 minutes ago, Dazey said:

This is the best example of a northern working men’s club I can think of. 

Haha, thanks! Gonna watch this in its entirety. Its like a cooperative bar, I assume to make the booze more affordable for the workers. Maybe they do things like build local crickets and such like the Lions Club or The Rotary Club, as well.

As you know, here the capitalists let us attend any of their bars for free and then gouge us on the price for a pint. 

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks lads, still not sure what she was doing there or what gained the applause, but thats no matter.

This too is like attending a labour council meeting here. Neat.

So etymologically speaking mens clubs are private houses and "pubs" are public houses.

Haha, thanks! Gonna watch this in its entirety. Its like a cooperative bar, I assume to make the booze more affordable for the workers. Maybe they do things like build local crickets and such like the Lions Club or The Rotary Club, as well.

As you know, here the capitalists let us attend any of their bars for free and then gouge us on the price for a pint. 

I have only ever been in a social for christenings and such like; they often hire them out for christenings, marriages and birthdays. 

They are fairly grimy places.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have only ever been in a social for christenings and such like; they often hire them out for christenings, marriages and birthdays. 

I worked in one for three years as a student. :lol: 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I feel like a broken record because first thing that comes to mind is the steel workers hall here, where Ive attended weddings, birthdays, speaking events and conferences. :lol: I keep picturing this scene from Pride

But it finally clicked, thank you for your patience, I attended a Polish wedding at the Polish Club! I think mainly immigrants have their own social clubs here. The waspy Rotary Club and such is often too puritan to centre their activities around booze.

I also used to work at an anarchist social centre. We drank some communion wine, but for the most part people either organized or tied-off in the pisser there. It was a fairly grimy place, too. But the only ale was from one of the spaces founding organizers who was a prolific home brewer. He would bring me my order and Id gladly hand him an IOU :lol:. There were birthdays there, but events like weddings were usually still at the steel workers hall where they have a bar and kitchen.

33 minutes ago, Dazey said:

My dad still goes to the local one here every Sunday at 7pm without fail to talk shite with his old duffer mates and do the quiz. They have a little old fella on the door signing in guests who looks like a dead body that they've propped up on a stool.

11 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

My dad still goes to the local one here every Sunday at 7pm without fail to talk shite with his old duffer mates and do the quiz. They have a little old fella on the door signing in guests who looks like a dead body that they've propped up on a stool.

Probably gets paid in beer tokens if the place I worked in is anything to go by. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

John Smiths a big favourite I bet? The ultimate ''old man'' drink.

I went to one in Dulwich and there was a line marked on the floor around the bar, woman were not not permitted to cross the line. Is that a standard thing in men's clubs?

11 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I went to one in Dulwich and there was a line marked on the floor around the bar, woman were not not permitted to cross the line. Is that a standard thing in men's clubs?

The one I used to work in had a men only bar on one side of the building then a lounge bar in another room where women were allowed in with the men. :lol: 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

One of The Sex Pistols early gigs was in a working mens club in West Ham.  It did not end well :lol:

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You expected it to end now with the election on May 26. The Guardian article talks about the next 10-20 years. 

Anyway, the fact that many fear that the EU will collapse when we look more than 10 years into the future is not due to people in Europe not having positive feelings towards the EU. According to the article, Europeans have not been as positive to the EU since 1983, and 92 % of voters said they would lose out if the EU disappeared. So people believe in and want to have the EU, yet stil expect it to crash. That seeming paradox can be explained by the general trend of negative feelings towards our political systems, lingering effects of the economic recession, growing inequality, etc.