British Politics

Gracii Guns

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I always thought the UK was part of Europe, the continent. How dumb am I.

The term ''Continental Europe'' (or ''Mainland Europe'') usually excludes continental islands such as the British Isles. Further, the term ''the continent'' is a well known term here to differentiate the mainland from the British Isles. 

PS, and incidentally,

If the UK leaves the EU, the only two Common Law countries left in the EU will be Ireland and Cyprus. The rest all possess Civic Law.

primer-on-uae-civil-code-29-638.jpg?cb=1

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The term ''Continental Europe'' (or ''Mainland Europe'') usually excludes continental islands such as the British Isles. Further, the term ''the continent'' is a well known term here to differentiate the mainland from the British Isles. 

Why do you have a problem being part of Europe? It's kinda geographically decided.

Every European country is really different and that is what makes Europe so great, in my opinion. I have been to England a couple of times, I have seen more similarities between England and my country than between, let's say, my country and certain Eastern European countries that I have been to several times as well. You can throw historical facts at me that anyone can read in history books, but there is more to it than that.

53 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am saying that the United Kingdom has had a different historical trajectory from continental Europe. 

Every country in Europe has had a different historical trajectory than other countries in Europe :lol:. That is what makes them different countries. And all the things you mention are just the particular things that are different for UK compared to other countries. What makes you special. But we are all special. There is nothing special about being different.

If you believe that your idiosyncrasies are so special you can't get along with the rest of Europe, it kind of indicates you have a somewhat inflated view on your own importance ;)

Edited by SoulMonster

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Outside of Europe then?

When comparing western democracies around the world I don't really think any countries are thoroughly exceptional. I think many countries have had great periods (like France in the 18th century, England in the 18-19th century, USA in the early 20th century) but that now they have grown to be pretty much similar and average. I can't think of any single country today that I find exceptional, although many have traits that are impressive independently (economic growth, cultural impact, quality of life, ability to handle diversity, scientific rating, etc) there are none that are exceptional on many levels and sticks far out compared to the rest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Why do you have a problem being part of Europe? It's kinda geographically decided.

Every European country is really different and that is what makes Europe so great, in my opinion. I have been to England a couple of times, I have seen more similarities between England and my country than between, let's say, my country and certain Eastern European countries that I have been to several times as well. You can throw historical facts at me that anyone can read in history books, but there is more to it than that.

I don't have a problem being part of Europe. I merely see a different historical-political-cultural background between the UK and continental Europe. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Every country in Europe has had a different historical trajectory than other countries in Europe :lol:. That is what makes them different countries. And all the things you mention are just the particular things that are different for UK compared to other countries. What makes you special. But we are all special. There is nothing special about being different.

If you believe that your idiosyncrasies are so special you can't get along with the rest of Europe, it kind of indicates you have a somewhat inflated view on your own importance ;)

Yes, but there are obvious differences between countries sharing massive land borders and an island nation, just as there are obvious differences in countries that were involved in continental Revolution (which the French Revolution was), and a country which managed to avoid Revolution. There is also a massive difference between the UK's legal system and the continent's legal system. This is just fact. The UK's legal system rests upon Common Law (or a hybrid in the case of the Scots) whereas Civil Law is a mixture of Julian Code, Code Napoleon et al. There is a mass of difference.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't have a problem being part of Europe. I merely see a different historical-political-cultural background between the UK and continental Europe. 

With you I meant British people in general. Most European countries have different backgrounds, whether it's political or cultural. The UK isn't unique in regards to that. I'm not diminishing the differences though, the UK has always been an odd duck in Europe.

Just now, EvanG said:

With you I meant British people in general. Most European countries have different backgrounds, whether it's political or cultural. The UK isn't unique in regards to that.

I am not denying that other continental countries possess differences among each other. I am saying that the differences between Britain and Europe are greater than the differences between a European country and another European country. These can be neatly boiled down to,

- Britain uses Common Law. Europe uses Civil Law

- Britain looks towards the Anglophonic sphere, the USA and/or the British Commonwealth. Europe looks geo-politically more in among itself because of its border-sharing.

- Britain is (or was) a maritime country. In fairness other countries also share this trait but they're interestingly outside the EU because of the heinous Common Fisheries Policy, e.g. Iceland, Norway and Greenland.

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

though, the UK has always been an odd duck in Europe.

Exactly. It was always a joke long before Brexit among Europeans: ''the Brits don't know whether they're in Europe or outside Europe''. De Gaulle vetoed our membership, not because of his Anglophobia as many in Britain thought at the time, but because he didn't feel Britain's transatlanticism would be applicable to the supranational agrarian EEC project.  

Non-EU Switzerland is also an ''odd duck'', based on her long history of neutrality, which is why she made bilateral treaties with the EU. She is even a member of the EFTA without being a member of the EEA!!

Switzerland are in the EFTA but unlike the other three EFTA members decided against joining the EEA, instead signing bilateral agreements with the EU which gives them basically everything in the EEA, i.e. access to the common market. It is the Swiss way, to never commit to one side or the other, to never put one foot through the door but remain a friendly spectator.

33 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Switzerland is definitely an odd duck. I was in Zurich last year and was surprised I could pay with euros almost everywhere, but I guess they don't have much choice...

I thought the local currency was Nazi gold? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, but there are obvious differences between countries sharing massive land borders and an island nation, just as there are obvious differences in countries that were involved in continental Revolution (which the French Revolution was), and a country which managed to avoid Revolution. 

Just like there are obvious differences between all other countries due to various geographical, historical, cultural, ideological, political, etc, reasons. Again you are not that special.

What is interesting is you claiming that the differences that separates the British "people" from the continental European "people" are so large that you think you can't get along in the EU. This inflated sense of uniqueness and quite often disdain for others due to an overbearing emphasis on your great history and not your current mediocre situation, is one of the underlying reasons behind Brexit. You talked about UK's historical trajectory as if it matters that you once were a great empire when talking about the situation today, or that these trajectories somehow prevents tight cooperation and collaboration; it doesn't and they don't. Besides, thinking in the way of trajectories when looking at the evolution of states is problematic since the thought of immovable trajectories are close to beliefs in pre-destinies as in "we Brits are destined for a great future and can't be bothered having to drag the lesser nations along".

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am not denying that other continental countries possess differences among each other. I am saying that the differences between Britain and Europe are greater than the differences between a European country and another European country.

The differences between Portugal and Latvia are smaller than the differences between "continental Europe" and UK? Really? Or between Luxembourg and Cyprus? Or between Finland and Malta? Really? :lol: I don't even think you consider the individual member states, to you Europe is comprised of Nazi Germany, metrosexual Scandinavia and effeminate and weak France. And of course Great Britain cant get along with any of these countries, just like you haven't before so you shall not again.

Again, an elevated sense of self-worth and destiny combined with an incapability in precisely assessing others.

7 hours ago, EvanG said:

Switzerland is definitely an odd duck. I was in Zurich last year and was surprised I could pay with euros almost everywhere, but I guess they don't have much choice…

I was there last week. Can't remember paying for anything while there.

12 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

These people are all awful.

btw How many of you, are up for joining Trump in an Iranian war?

Probably no one but don't worry, once the propaganda machine gets dug in for a month or two and everyone starts chewing over how they mistreat women or were reportedly seen enjoying themselves on 9/11 we'll all get onside :lol:

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The differences between Portugal and Latvia are smaller than the differences between "continental Europe" and UK? Really? Or between Luxembourg and Cyprus? Or between Finland and Malta? Really? :lol: I don't even think you consider the individual member states, to you Europe is comprised of Nazi Germany, metrosexual Scandinavia and effeminate and weak France. And of course Great Britain cant get along with any of these countries, just like you haven't before so you shall not again.

Again, an elevated sense of self-worth and destiny combined with an incapability in precisely assessing others

Well I have already given my reasons, such as the small matter of our entire legal system being different, but you opted to ignore this, instead opting for gibberish about Nazis - such is your Intellect.

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Just like there are obvious differences between all other countries due to various geographical, historical, cultural, ideological, political, etc, reasons. Again you are not that special.

What is interesting is you claiming that the differences that separates the British "people" from the continental European "people" are so large that you think you can't get along in the EU. This inflated sense of uniqueness and quite often disdain for others due to an overbearing emphasis on your great history and not your current mediocre situation, is one of the underlying reasons behind Brexit. You talked about UK's historical trajectory as if it matters that you once were a great empire when talking about the situation today, or that these trajectories somehow prevents tight cooperation and collaboration; it doesn't and they don't. Besides, thinking in the way of trajectories when looking at the evolution of states is problematic since the thought of immovable trajectories are close to beliefs in pre-destinies as in "we Brits are destined for a great future and can't be bothered having to drag the lesser nations along".

Nope. It is you who have mentioned the ''empire'' and applied a ''greatness'' interpretation on my words. In fact Common Law, Constitutional liberty and Parliamentary sovereignty all precede Britain's period of geo-military power, i.e., the 18th and 19th centuries - often by centuries. 

20 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Back in the day when racists where proper racists.

Fat bold blokes on the rock n roll with no I.Q .... wait a minute sounds a bit like someone I know ..

Thing is they just told the truth didn't they?  I mean in terms of their intent.  'Piss off you black bastards', it gets the message across doesn't it?' :lol:  None of this running around with an iphone going 'how am i a racist?  how am i a racist?  explain how I'm a racist mate', fuck that, they just got stuck right in there like 'oi velcro-head, get back on the fuckin' jam jar!' :lol: