British Politics

Gracii Guns

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I didn't quote you and I have never said you have admitted that immigration is part of your fear of the EU (although I do think I remember a few posts from you where you complained about the EU forcing immigrations on you).

I would say nation-states should possess the right to determine arrivals, but I have never discussed migration much as it is a peripheral debate among much greater problems with the EU such as its erosion of sovereignty, lack of democracy, corruption and economics.  

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

The issue is your claim that the UK has nothing in common with Continental Europe. 

But I never said that!

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But I never said that!

You did say that when you came up with the legal system bollocks. And you agree with something De Gaulle said about 60 years ago.  You are not saying that what De Gaulle said is not true. 

1 minute ago, Padme said:

You did say that when you came up with the legal system bollocks. And you agree with something De Gaulle said about 60 years ago.  You are not saying that what De Gaulle said is not true. 

The legal systems are very much different, but I never claimed that the ''UK has nothing in common with Continental Europe'', which, as a historian-classicist, is a statement I'd obviously disagree with.

And De Gaulle never said that either! 

What is it with you EUphiles and straw men and misquotation?

23 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

''England in effect is insular, she is maritime, she is linked through her exchanges, her markets, her supply lines to the most diverse and often the most distant countries; she pursues essentially industrial and commercial activities, and only slight agricultural ones. She has in all her doings very marked and very original habits and traditions. In short, the nature, the structure, the very situation (conjuncture) that are England’s differ profoundly from those of the continentals''.

This is the De Gaulle quote that you posted

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:
5 hours ago, Padme said:

There aren't huge cultural, political and historical differences between the UK and Continental Europe. I don't know why you think the UK is a country on planet Earth and Continental Europe is another planet in a galaxy far, far away where only little green creatures are living.

I disagree with this entirely. 

And this is your answer to me. Then you believe there are historical, cultural and political differences between Continental Europe and the UK

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

And this is your answer to me. Then you believe there are historical, cultural and political differences between Continental Europe and the UK

They certainly are. I'm not even sure Verhofstadt would claim otherwise haha. 

I could honestly have an argument with a brick wall. I have provoked the ire of the Brexit Party haha. 

PS

The woman ''run a business knitting items from the wool of the Angora rabbit''. I never doubted it for a second.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Let's look at British exceptionalism and the EU ''in action'', i.e., not grounded in historical abstract but pertinent to Britain and the EU today,

- Britain has four opt-outs, more than any other country. We have opt-outs on Schengen, the Eurozone, Human Rights and Freedom, Security and Justice. Only three more countries have opt-outs by the way, Denmark, Ireland and Poland.

- Britain secured the Rebate in 1985 which effectively wiped out 66% of the UK's net contribution to the EU Budget. There is really nothing like this elsewhere between a member state and the EU.

- Mentioned above, we remain outside the Eurozone and have not pledged to join the Eurozone (mandatory) as stipulated in the opt-out. Only Denmark possesses a similar arrangement.

The UK is actually exceptional in her relationship with the EU. 

It isn't so much worthwhile to point out whether or not Britain is exceptional (or not) as a stated fact, but to point out that Britain feels ''she is exceptional'' and has thus negotiated a uniquely ''detached'' membership of the EU. 

40 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Apparently the guardian have audio recording from Johnson neighbours of a domestic incident last night were the police were called out.

So Boris assaulting his girlfriend to get votes?

#notshocking

''Screaming, shouting and banging''. The neighbour also added that they heard Ms Symonds shouting: 'Get off me'

So it is either rough sex or he is knocking her around. If it is the latter it is probably for all the Vegan food she is feeding him. 

11 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Bet Gove is gutted. 

1 day too late. Dodged the bullet though given the Iran situation. The man who still thinks Iraq was one of the UK's best foreign policy decisions in modern history is the last one we'd want in charge now.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

To say ''there are historical, cultural and political differences between Continental Europe and the UK'' is basically to say something that is fact. 

Yes there are different languages. And Cricket is not popular in Continental Europe. But we all like French wine, Scottish whisky, beer, pizza and football.

We share western values and culture. We share the legacy of Greeks and Romans

6 minutes ago, Padme said:

Yes there are different languages. And Cricket is not popular in Continental Europe. But we all like French wine, Scottish whisky, beer, pizza and football.

I love Europe. Dies’ is a bellend*. :lol: 

I’m absolutely gutted to be dragged out of the EU against my will because a bunch of small minded little Englanders hate foreigners. 

*also one of our best posters

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

I love Europe. Dies’ is a bellend*. :lol: 

I’m absolutely gutted to be dragged out of the EU against my will because a bunch of small minded little Englanders hate foreigners. 

*also one of our best posters

What is ''loving Europe'' got to do with the EU? 

1 hour ago, Padme said:

There are a lot more differences than that, most of which I have listed above. 

''Europe'' and ''the EU'' - a primer

Currently,

- (Circa) 22/50 European states

- 56% of Europe's landmass

- 31% of Europe's population

Lay outside the European Union! 

If we are going to equate ''Europe'' with ''the EU'' that merely raise the question, what continent does all this lot belong to then? You could visit 22 European states and meet countless Europeans without ever stepping foot in the EU! You could even learn European languages, Norwegian, Russian, Albanian, that are not ''officially designated languages'' of the European Union. All of this is just as much ''European'' as that which belongs to the European Union. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

People inflate the extent of the EU's impact. Britain had European migrants from Europe centuries before we joined the European Communities in 1973, and I dare say we'll continue receiving European migrants long after withdrawal from the European Union, if Brexit actually happens - a worse case scenario would be via work visas. Further, Britain will continue to receive migrants from non-EU states; if anyone voted leave to prohibit migration, they were sadly deluded as non-EU migrants surpass EU migrants - and this is actually increasing,

Spoiler

_105841233_optimised-mig_figs_chart-nc.p

The Commonwealth has of course long been, and will continue to be, a source of immigrants. 4.39% of Britain's ethnicity, the second largest category after ''White British'', is ''Asian/Asian British''. 

Asia (Pakistan, India, Hong Kong, etc.) has bugger all to do with the European Union haha.

Edited by DieselDaisy

This Tony Blair guy isn't stupid. He wants the Brits to get a second chance to say what they want. Back in June 2016 they had no idea what they were voting for. In a few months Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt will be finished negotiating with the EU and the Brits can vote for that or to remain in the EU.