British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Thing about Brexit is it appears to be happening one way or the other so arguing about it is a dead issue, its just gonna happen one way or the other, the issue now is making the shit work, end of. 

The only way they get the deal through is the EU letting them throw NI under the bus and fortunately that's not happening.

The DUP are not representative of their own voters let alone NI.

English Brexit voters could not give a fuck about NI or Scotland.

Only way to stop Brexit is a no confidence CE motion has to pass as soon as parliament returns and Labour have to win a snap election on a remain platform. 

*edit*

Raab just been named foreign secretary and Gove as defacto deputy pm. Horrible.

Edited by AtariLegend

25 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Yeah, so what you’re saying is that we’re all fucked then? :lol:

Probably, but it's the truth. That is the only way, as unlikely as it seems.

Personally I think the best case scenario is for God to start an early rapture and beam up all of Westminster and xylophone man.

Countries fucked, they're all horrible 

6 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Probably, but it's the truth. That is the only way, as unlikely as it seems.

Personally I think the best case scenario is for God to start an early rapture and beam up all of Westminster and xylophone man.

Countries fucked, they're all horrible 

Best case scenario is Corbyn to quit and Labour to elect a proper leader. Don’t think that even that would work at this point though as a pro remain Labour Party gets routed in the north. Best we can hope for is a post Brexit centrist Labour Party winning an election in a few years. 

Just now, Dazey said:

Best case scenario is Corbyn to quit and Labour to elect a proper leader. Don’t think that even that would work at this point though as a pro remain Labour Party gets routed in the north. Best we can hope for is a post Brexit centrist Labour Party winning an election in a few years. 

By centrist, you mean one of the defenders of austerity, pro Iraq, blarities like Cooper or Chukka? You've already got the Lib Dems. The Blaritie tribute act. Led by Jo Swinson who voted more over the past decade with the Tory whip than Jermey Hunt. I'm not joking.

No thank you. Centrist is just code for the people that created the conditions for this. The term "moderates" just mean pro bombing, arm sales and austerity.

While I think Corbyn quiting would be preferable, I'm not fond of any of those that'd likely replace him.

The election is coming sooner than later either way. 

fyi on getting routed up north. It didn't happen in 2017. Despite what some may believe, alot of Labour voters that voted Brexit might vote Brexit again, but they don't really seem to prioritize that above everything else. Many of them still voted for Labour who monlipized much of the Lib Dem, Green vote in that election. Also absorbed some SNP vote (hence vote splitting that got a few Tory seats in Scotland).

By centrist, you mean one of the defenders of austerity, pro Iraq, blarities like Cooper or Chukka? You've already got the Lib Dems. The Blaritie tribute act. Led by Jo Swinson who voted more over the past decade with the Tory whip than Jermey Hunt. I'm not joking.

No thank you. Centrist is just code for the people that created the conditions for this. The term "moderates" just mean pro bombing, arm sales and austerity.

While I think Corbyn quiting would be preferable, I'm not fond of any of those that'd likely replace him.

The election is coming sooner than later either way. 

fyi on getting routed up north. It didn't happen in 2017. Despite what some may believe, alot of Labour voters that voted Brexit might vote Brexit again, but they don't really seem to prioritize that above everything else. Many of them still voted for Labour who monlipized much of the Lib Dem, Green vote in that election. Also absorbed some SNP vote (hence vote splitting that got a few Tory seats in Scotland).

By centrist I mean not hard right because that’s the alternative in our political system. I’m talking pragmatism not idealism. Jeremy Corbyn put Boris in power. The UK doesn’t elect hard left governments so you can hold your nose and vote to improve your situation or jump with both feet into a Corbyn government and get theTories forever. You’re basically Susan Sarandon right now who refused to vote Hilary Clinton and gave the world Donald Trump. 

Edited by Dazey

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

By centrist I mean not hard right because that’s the alternative in our political system. I’m talking pragmatism not idealism. Jeremy Corbyn put Boris in power. The UK doesn’t elect hard left governments so you can hold your nose and vote to improve your situation or jump with both feet into a Corbyn government and get theTories forever. You’re basically Susan Sarandon right now who refused to vote Hilary Clinton and gave the world Donald Trump. 

Difference is Hillary Clinton wouldn't be representing this party.

How about a compromise though, I assume you wouldn't take Emily Thornberry, what about Keir Stammer? He can hardly be called a Green Party mp, but isn't tainted by as many of sins of the past so to speak?

Also I disagree about Corbyn leading to Boris, Boris was on a path for downing Street before there was ever any chance of him winning Tory leadership. 

He was literally born to rule, rich family, private school, establishment family, cushy Telegraph job and allied with the right people from the start. He was always getting there.

Edited by AtariLegend

If Labour fight an election campaign on a Remain ticket they will be annihilated in their traditional heartlands, make no mistake.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

If Labour fight an election campaign on a Remain ticket they will be annihilated in their traditional heartlands, make no mistake.

They were literally presented as the remain party by the press in 17. They sucked up most of the remain vote and their vote went up in most of those areas (not all). There entire manifesto and sales pitch was for a deal so soft it was basically staying in and could never be delivered. So this doesn't hold up.

Edited by AtariLegend

7 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

They were literally presented as the remain party by the press in 17. They sucked up most of the remain vote and their vote went up in most of those areas (not all). There entire manifesto and sales pitch was for a deal so soft it was basically staying in and could never be delivered. So this doesn't hold up.

The Brexit Party will wipe them out, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

5 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

The Brexit Party will wipe them out, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Like UKIP was going to take 100 seats in 2017? Nah.

Fyi UKIP and Eurosceptics always do well in euro elections. Labour hadn't won them since 94. So it doesn't hold hope and the UKIP/BNP vote never copied over into the general elections. It's unlikely too this time. General elections can't be won on single issue politics.

21 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Like UKIP was going to take 100 seats in 2017? Nah.

Fyi UKIP and Eurosceptics always do well in euro elections. Labour hadn't won them since 94. So it doesn't hold hope and the UKIP/BNP vote never copied over into the general elections. It's unlikely too this time. General elections can't be won on single issue politics.

Well speaking as a traditional Labour voter from the North East, they certainly won't have my vote should that be the case. I think you are seriously underestimating the depth of feeling towards the Labour Party up here currently but I guess we'll see if it happens.

Edited by bucketfoot

2 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Well speaking as a traditional Labour voter from the North East, they certainly won't have my vote should that be the case. I think you are seriously underestimating the depth of feeling towards the Labour Party up here currently but I guess we'll see if it happens.

Where are you from in the north east if I may ask? :) 

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You are arguing that Dazey doesn't care about the working class because he is in favor for remaining in the EU despite, according to you, the EU having destroyed the English fisheries a generation ago. That's your "A". My response to your "A" is that this is an odd argument to come from someone who obviously doesn't care how leaving the EU will affect today's generation of working class. So I don't ignore "A". I don't agree with "A" and I explain why. 

I then offer an explanation to this apparent paradox by suggesting that you don't really care about the working class either. You care about the fishermen, or more precisely, the pre-EU communities of Northumberland, or an idealized version thereof. One that predates this modern, gender-equal England with its struggling economy, its industrial shake-ups, its multicultural society, its diluted culture, its liberal social values, its mediocrity. You are a deluded, romantic traditionalist who yearn for a previous time and erroneously think it can be revived if England would just leave EU.

How can I even reply to you when you produce,

The EU has become the focal point for all your disappointment with what has become of England. Dishwashers and multiculturalism, end of colonialism, laughing stocks of Europe, McDonalds and Subways, the advent of the service industry, alternative lifestyles, globalization and capitalization of football, etc etc. You are nothing but a Little Englander obsessed with the past and with no intelligent thoughts for the future.

''Multiculturalism''!!!" I speak Japanese haha. 

19 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Thing about Brexit is it appears to be happening one way or the other so arguing about it is a dead issue, its just gonna happen one way or the other, the issue now is making the shit work, end of. 

Trouble is (among so many other things) there is no good solution to the Northern Ireland border.  You either acknowledge that Brexit cannot be reasonably achieved in the best interests of the UK as a whole...or push through with it knowing that the union is finished- at best NI will join a united Ireland, worse a potential war will kick off again in NI/Ireland, Scotland will go.  Even England is extremely fragmented when many of the big cities (including the capital) do not support leaving the EU and the archaic little-England mentality that comes with a lot (not all) of Brexiteers.  

Edited by Axls Rocket Queen
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Because that's how it works, right? Bilingual people can't be against the dilution of their own culture due to immigration?

It would be a strange ''Little Englander'' indeed who speaks different languages, but irrespective, I have never made one single comment about immigration. Your entire premise is utterly wrong. A fabrication by Soul Monster.

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

Hitler spoke English. :lol:

No he didn't.