Gracii Guns

British Politics

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

So our Constitutional expert was wrong.

I hope you don't mean our local mygnr historian of the Daily Telegraph Daisy?

In fairness it'll be appealed and probably nothing will come of it.

8 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

I hope you don't mean our local mygnr historian of the Daily Telegraph Daisy?

Yeah, he really let me down there.

Just a pick-me-up if you're feeling down @DieselDaisy

BYbGFXXh.jpg vTbhqZgh.jpg

And also a Canadian former Premiere of BC Christie Clarke, to get familiar with incase y'all become an Overseas Protectorate of Canada :) 

hYUJ5mmh.jpg

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I strolled to Westminster yesterday just to see Priti.

You got to see Priti in the flesh? Im jealous!

19 hours ago, soon said:

You got to see Priti in the flesh? Im jealous!

No, I didn't see her. It was as in the song Nadine.

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

No, I didn't see her. It was as in the song Nadine.

Ha, well next time. You know that would make for a cool vlog - your episodic adventures looking for Priti. Nadine as the theme music.

Verhofstadt made a speech at the Lib Dems conference discussing the need to have a ''EU Empire''! 

It isn't as if these Eurocrats hide the fact they desire an empire! Truly revolting politics. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Verhofstadt made a speech at the Lib Dems conference discussing the need to have a ''EU Empire''! 

It isn't as if these Eurocrats hide the fact they desire an empire! Truly revolting politics. 

No need to hide it, sounds like a great idea. 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No need to hide it, sounds like a great idea. 

Utterly abhorrent politics and confirmatory of everything Tony Benn said about the EU. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't see the problem. Given the ever present threat of Russia and the fact that the US seems to have gone AWOL I think that a stronger Europe (including a Euro army) is not only a good idea but absolutely necessary. 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Utterly abhorrent politics and confirmatory of everything Tony Benn said about the EU. 

The opinion of one EU politician isn't representative of the opinions of all EU politicians and hence cannot be indicative of what the EU is, but I know from before that this is beyond you. 

That being said, we need more collaboration, more harmonisation, less borders, more free movement, more pan-european systems, less vats, etc, to effectively deal with international issues like climate change, cross-border crime and immigration, so on the face of it going in the direction of a more comprehensive and involving European Union, or empire if you will, makes a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

I don't see the problem. Given the ever present threat of Russia and the fact that the US seems to have gone AWOL I think that a stronger Europe (including a Euro army) is not only a good idea but absolutely necessary. 

Nothing I would want to see us involved in: we have a completely different brand of politics. 

But let's just focus on his rhetoric: ''empire'' though? Just the usage of the term - isn't it Brexiteers who are obsessed with empire? Isn't it the more EU-attuned Guardianistas who lecture us on the ''sins of empire'' - our sins? Yet here we have a Eurocrat espousing a EU Empire with no ambiguity in England. And then he waded through ''empires'' with some incredibly flawed logic and historic oversight? India, whilst not realising the depth of ''national'' sentiment (trust me, I'm a cricket fan!); China, whilst ignoring persecuted minorities within that Chinese ''Empire''. 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

That being said, we need more collaboration, more harmonisation, less borders, more free movement, more pan-european systems, less vats, etc, to effectively deal with international issues like climate change, cross-border crime and immigration, so on the face of it going in the direction of a more comprehensive and involving European Union, or empire if you will, makes a lot of sense. 

No. He talked of ''empires''. He actually dispensed with the wishy-washy stuff. He doesn't even lie - Verhofstadt.

Edited by DieselDaisy

In the world order of tomorrow, the world order of tomorrow is not a world order based on nation states or countries, it’s a world order that is based on Empires, China is not a nation, it’s a civilisation. India, you know it better than I do, is not a nation, there are two thousands nations in India, there are twenty different languages that are used there, there are four big religions at the same time. It is the biggest democracy worldwide.

NB., India actually has 29 languages with more than one million native speakers, and 79.80% Hindu and 14.23% Muslims, meaning just under 6% represent other religions (Sikhism 1.72%, Christianity 2.30%). It would have been better if he got stuff like this correct beforehand, but regardless,

The US is also an Empire, more than a nation, maybe tomorrow they will speak more Spanish than English, I don’t know what will happen. And then finally, the Russian Federation, the world of tomorrow is a world of Empires, in which we Europeans and you British can only defend your interests, your way of life by doing it together in a European framework and a European Union.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:51 PM, SoulMonster said:

So our Constitutional expert was wrong.

What have I been wrong about exactly? The mechanism of prorogation is as routine as the State Opening of Parliament which succeeds it, and generally happens yearly. You certainly don't trust anything I say but listen to your British-remain chums (Dazey, Graeme) and they will confirm this mechanism is very normal and constitutional. If however Boris has been misleading the Queen in order to prorogue, how was I to know what advice Boris has delivered up to Her Majesty? I desire Brexit like him (seemingly) but I wouldn't trust Boris as far as I could swing him and never have. 

- There is also the question that, if it is unlawful for prorogation to occur because ''it had the purpose of stymying parliament'' (Scottish Courts), then surely also Major's prorogation in 1997, or Attlee's was also unlawful? Surely?

Edited by DieselDaisy

Fuck empire. Also, there is only one Queen Majesty who ever deserved anything. Long live the Queen.

9WHmzYHh.jpg

cZtgUGKh.jpg

My fear at the minute is that the Lib Dems will form a coalition with the Tories if Boris losses his seat and there's a hung parliament.

It's a party of pro austerity cameroons with a few ex-labour right mps. 

Edited by AtariLegend

It is ironic that Verhofstadt is actively supporting a (foreign) political party who campaigned for a Europe referendum, 

Clegg-referendum-page-001-353x500.jpg

He is also supporting a party who coalesced with the Tories on austerity, but that is perhaps not so ironic given the EU's views on austerity.

Pertaining to Nicholas Soames' dismissal, I have never seen so many remaining lefties obsessing over Winston Churchill's bloodline haha? Every time a Lib Dem, SNP or Labour MP is interviewed - Diane Abbot for crying out loud - they immediately start mentioning Soames's blue-blooded pedigree, incorporating as it does Britain's great war time leader and proponent of empire haha.

It is also ironic that Soames is now a revered figure of the remaining-left given this is the same Soames who become famous for making ''woofing noises'' and ''breast gestures'' in the Commons whenever female MPs speak, and was guilty of inheritance tax avoidance. Chum of Robert Mugabe also. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, soon said:

Fuck empire. Also, there is only one Queen Majesty who ever deserved anything. Long live the Queen.

9WHmzYHh.jpg

cZtgUGKh.jpg

Then you haven't be listening to Guy recently as he thinks empire is back in vogue,

EEg9LnUW4AAKcD5?format=jpg&name=large

Don't know who the housewife is.

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Then you haven't be listening to Guy recently as he thinks empire is back in vogue,

EEg9LnUW4AAKcD5?format=jpg&name=large

Don't know who the housewife is.

That’s David Mellor! :lol: