Gracii Guns

British Politics

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is entirely irrelevant to discuss prorogation as a phenomenon when everybody else is discussing Boris Johnson's particular misuse of prorogation to advance his political goals. But maybe you were just so apoplectic about something you had read on twitter that you decided to respond to that here on mygnrforum? You tend to do that more and more also. Like you are losing the ability to keep discussions separate.

A lot of people were discussing prorogation as if it was some strange extra-constitutional power, somewhat akin to Hitler's Enabling Law (although, to digress, that was not that extra-constitutional). This is really another one of your massive strawmen.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

A lot of people were discussing prorogation as if it was some strange extra-constitutional power, somewhat akin to Hitler's Enabling Law

Err, not here they weren't. Is space and time getting the better of you?

7 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

The PM of Luxembourg trying to dictate to Great Britain. :lol:

Nothing less than Junker's dodgy tax haven.

Junker turned Lux into a cesspit of tax avoidance offering liabilities at 1% before becoming President of the European Commission and therefore the most powerful man in the EU! You'll not hear any of this in remainer parlance of course, including among the usual suspects on this forum because, 'cooperation, solidarity, peace, brotherhood, 'better together'....''  - and Dazey's extra five bob per hour.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Err, not here they weren't. Is space and time getting the better of you?

I might not have specifically been replying to anyone here. I sometimes do that: reply to third party discourse. I do it for trivial stuff like films and ''celebs'' also. Although I believe some of the original posts were in conversation with Padme and were not incongruent with the discussing underway.

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nothing less than Junker's dodgy tax haven.

Junker turned Lux into a cesspit of tax avoidance offering liabilities at 1% before becoming President of the European Commission and therefore the most powerful man in the EU! You'll not hear any of this in remainer parlance of course, including among the usual suspects on this forum because, 'cooperation, solidarity, peace, brotherhood, 'better together'....''  - and Dazey's extra five bob per hour.

It always raises a chuckle seeing the leaders of Mickey Mouse countries attempting to lay down the law.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I might not have specifically been replying to anyone here. I sometimes do that: reply to third party discourse.

I figured, which is why I wrote, "But maybe you were just so apoplectic about something you had read on twitter that you decided to respond to that here on mygnrforum? You tend to do that more and more also. Like you are losing the ability to keep discussions separate." ;)

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Doesn't seem like Boris Johnson is getting a much better deal anytime soon. 

What an incompetent clown :lol:

I heard that he got fired as a journalist for faking quotes. Remarkable how such an untrustworthy bozo can exploit weaknesses in your democracy to attain a position well outside of his capacity. 

At first BoJos video tweet made me wonder why someone as vain as Trump only tweets text? But then I figure its some version of class consciousness - wherein his base has limited bandwidth and would therefore prefer text only. Does everyone in UK have access to enough bandwidth for video updates fro the leader? Or is he showing his elitism in posting a video update?

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What an incompetent clown :lol:

I heard that he got fired as a journalist for faking quotes. Remarkable how such an untrustworthy bozo can exploit weaknesses in your democracy to attain a position well outside of his capacity. 

Then you don't know much about some of the former incumbents of 10 Downing Street if you think Boris is somewhat unprecedented here. It wasn't that long ago we had Blair of Iraq, sexed up dossiers et al. fame. 

Then you don't know much about some of the former incumbents of 10 Downing Street if you think Boris is somewhat unprecedented here. It wasn't that long ago we had Blair of Iraq, sexed up dossiers et al. fame. 

So it is kind of a tradition for you? :)

1 minute ago, soon said:

At first BoJos video tweet made me wonder why someone as vain as Trump only tweets text? But then I figure its some version of class consciousness - wherein his base has limited bandwidth and would therefore prefer text only. Does everyone in UK have access to enough bandwidth for video updates fro the leader? Or is he showing his elitism in posting a video update?

I have no idea what you mean. My phone is a piece of crap yet even I can access those twitter videos and youitube.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I have no idea what you mean. My phone is a piece of crap yet even I can access those twitter videos and youitube.

Not the quality of the phone, but the internet plan that one has. In NA people on a budget might have dial up internet with very low bandwidth. They wouldnt want video updates because it would eat up their bandwidth. Like they could run out for the month and loose the internet until next month.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So it is kind of a tradition for you? :)

Similar for most countries though. Generally if you look back on the lists of leaders of countries, it is like looking for a few gems among a rotten lot. In the USA, Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and FDR are cited for just that: their rarity. Similar with the United Kingdom: Welsh Wizard, Winston, Attlee, Wilson (Thatcher divides too much,  as much as Brexit) - I would personally add Supermac onto that list but he is a little forgotten compared the above quintet.

Look at the unpopularity of Macron vis-à-vis the gilet jaunes. France in fact have had some stinking leaders in recent years.

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Not the quality of the phone, but the internet plan that one has. In NA people on a budget might have dial up internet with very low bandwidth. They wouldnt want video updates because it would eat up their bandwidth. Like they could run out for the month and loose the internet until next month.

You can access them in free wi-fi areas though, i.e., Wetherspoons basically haha. 

Or on trains.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Similar for most countries though. Generally if you look back on the lists of leaders of countries, it is like looking for a few gems among a rotten lot. In the USA, Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and FDR are cited for just that: their rarity. Similar with the United Kingdom: Welsh Wizard, Winston, Attlee, Wilson (Thatcher divides too much,  as much as Brexit) - I would personally add Supermac onto that list but he is a little forgotten compared the above trio.

Look at the unpopularity of Macron vis-à-vis the gilet jaunes. France in fact have had some stinking leaders in recent years.

Trump is of course the worst example. But I thought higher of you Brits. But then again, BoJo wasn't actually elected by the British people.

Anyway, if he succeeds at negotiating a deal better than no deal then I will cheer him and you guys on. If he doesn't, and you leave the EU later this year with no deal, then I hope things will turn out okay for you. It is fully possible to stand outside of the EU, but it does help to be ridiculously wealthy. Anyway, stiff dicks and all that. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Trump is of course the worst example. But I thought higher of you Brits. But then again, BoJo wasn't actually elected by the British people.

Anyway, if he succeeds at negotiating a deal better than no deal then I will cheer him and you guys on. If he doesn't, and you leave the EU later this year with no deal, then I hope things will turn out okay for you. It is fully possible to stand outside of the EU, but it does help to be ridiculously wealthy. Anyway, stiff dicks and all that. 

The United States have had Bush Jr and Nixon though, so even Trump is not that unprecedented in his overwhelming badness. It was not that long ago Bush was persona non grata (remember all those Michael Moore documentaries?). We have had Blair (Iraq), Brown, Major, Eden (Suez), Chamberlain (''peace in our time'') and - my own worst example - Stanley Baldwin.  

It is just how the roster of any nation's leaders works.

So far Boris has not sexed up a dossier and lied about going to war, so he still has that on Anthony Blair. Still... 

Generally I'd go something like,

Top Five PMs

1/ Disraeli 

2/ Lloyd George 

3/ Churchill (moreso his first tenure/war time leadership and not his second shift)

4/ Pitt the Elder/Chatham 

5/ Gladstone or Supermac

(Honorable mentions: Pitt the Younger, Attlee, Wilson, Walpole, Earl Grey)

Worst,

1/ Baldwin

2/ Blair

3/ Theresa May

4/ Chamberlain

5/ Brown

PS

But Larry the Cat of course tops the lot.

Edited by DieselDaisy

The last truly great French President was probably Mitterrand really. Look at the bunch they've had since, Chirac, Sarkozy, Hollande peddling his little bike to see his mistress and Macron haha. Four of the worst leaders of a major nation in recent times. Pompidou was pretty good. D'Estaing's liberal tenure was marred later on with economic downturn. De Gaulle is as a divisive figure as Thatcher is in Britain but you'd have to concede he is a ''great'' leader who manufactured a new political settlement. He is France's colossus of the 20th century stage. 

German Chancellors. Merkel's popularity has been hammered because of the immigration crisis. Regardless of your stance on the crisis, she is deeply unpopular now. No German Chancellor has lived up to Adenauer, a political colossus. Kohl was an exceptional operator pertaining to reunification although deeply unpopular in other areas; regardless, reunification will be his legacy I feel and a fitting and glorious one. Schmidt was mediocre. Brandt divisive (courted American interventionism yet Ostpolitik). Schröder, just a Blairey pro-Yankee neo-liberal really. Bit of a non-entity.

Digression I know as it is in the British politics section, but it just goes to show that your leaders always comprise of a mixture of greats, wankers, non-entities and failures - the latter three being more dominant perhaps. 

If you put the whole Iraq thingy to one side Blair did quite a lot of good in his time in office. 

14 minutes ago, Dazey said:

If you put the whole Iraq thingy to one side Blair did quite a lot of good in his time in office. 

Big ''if''. Besides the whole Blair era deserves a lot of criticism. The whole era was built on unlimited money and spending, which of course built up problems for when Lehmanns crashed; Chancellor Brown also sold off all of our gold reserves. The Blair era also brought in a new style of politicking, involving spin-doctoring and media creation. 1997 was certainly the moment Labour abandoned its traditional working class basis for good, favouring instead Yuppies and neoliberal economics (a forerunner for the general drift towards the far-right in those disenfranchised communities, and Brexit). I am also highly critical of specific policies of his such as liberalising the gambling laws (I have seen how this affects people first hand). Not a fan of the smoking ban either. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't forget Dave Cameron stuck his todger up a dead pigs arse.

You've really got to push the boat out if you want to shame a British politician. They are like teflon.

I heard that he got fired as a journalist for faking quotes

Someone hired that cunt as a journalist?  I wouldn't hire him for a milk round.

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

Don't forget Dave Cameron stuck his todger up a dead pigs arse.

You've really got to push the boat out if you want to shame a British politician. They are like teflon.

I know I know. A pig and not a sheep!! What was he thinking?

• Haha 1

Generally I'd go something like,

Top Five PMs

1/ Disraeli 

2/ Lloyd George 

3/ Churchill (moreso his first tenure/war time leadership and not his second shift)

4/ Pitt the Elder/Chatham 

5/ Gladstone or Supermac

(Honorable mentions: Pitt the Younger, Attlee, Wilson, Walpole, Earl Grey)

Worst,

1/ Baldwin

2/ Blair

3/ Theresa May

4/ Chamberlain

5/ Brown

PS

But Larry the Cat of course tops the lot.

You'd put Blair as No 2 worst in the whole of history?  Shit man, thats hard.

I know I know. A pig and not a sheep!! What was he thinking?

At least swans are elegant looking <_<