British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Or the entire post *yawn*

I have a good book on English grammar and syntax. I seem to remember it possessing a style guide on epistolary, including the constructing of paragraphs with affiliated points. I will have to find it and when I do I'll cite its title and author. That should help you out in future.

15 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

So the people who love throwing insults around.... and let's get this right, they've labelled Boris everything from a 'racist', 'fascist', 'bigot', 'serial adulterer', 'tin-pot dictator'(my personal favourite) and 'lawbreaker' (he's not far off Adolf Hitler and Pol Pot according to these muppets) are now squealing because he himself has used a bit of 'inflammatory' (in their opinion) language? Do these people not realise how absolutely ridiculous they are? They've worked themselves up into such a frenzy of superior, self-rightousness and just can't help making fools of themselves. They need their nappies changing.

First, "the people who insult..." That's too broad. You mean we here? You mean celebrities like Hugh Grant? Second, let's face it, Boris is well known for making a fool of himself.  He brought up Jo Cox. Don't you find it disrespectful? It was tragic what happened to the late Jo Cox. Corbyn should be the target no Jo Cox. I don't think Boris is a nazi. But racists and bigots are on the Leave side. Are ALL Leavers fascists? NO! But those kind of people are within the group of Leavers. I think Boris just jumped the Brexit bandwagon for his own personal gain. And as we see. It clearlly paid off.

1 hour ago, Padme said:

He brought up Jo Cox. Don't you find it disrespectful? It was tragic what happened to the late Jo Cox. Corbyn should be the target no Jo Cox. 

He actually didn't. Paula Sherriff (Labour) did, this screaming lunatic,

TELEMMGLPICT000210882443_trans_NvBQzQNjv

The whole exchange can be found here if you want to see the truth and not remainer lies,

Edited by DieselDaisy

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Looks like Gabby Roslin

Still would. 

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Irrespective of who brought up Jo Cox, it was rather tasteless to say that the best way to honour her memory was to do the precise thing that she spent the last year of her life campaigning against. 

His sister thinks he's reprehensible and his brother literally quit British politics in disgust at his conduct. You still sure you're on the right team?

Edited by Dazey

43 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Still would. 

Irrespective of who brought up Jo Cox, it was rather tasteless to say that the best way to honour her memory was to do the precise thing that she spent the last year of her life campaigning against. 

His sister thinks he's reprehensible and his brother literally quit British politics in disgust at his conduct. You still sure you're on the right team?

Whilst shagging her, you might just see a momentary glimpse of Boris. Has to be something of a passion killer, that!

It was rather tasteless for Paula Sheriff MP to bring Jo Cox up in the first place, and now I see Labour demand an apology from Brendan Cox for calling them ''Turkeys''. Yet it is Boris, to a large extent, in the dock. Irrespective, the furor over ''surrender bill'' and ''betrayal'' is Snowflakism at its worst.

I suspect it is no different to my own problems which entailed my sister blasting Spice Girls and yours truly playing Appetite or the Stones. Christmas Day must be interesting at the Johnsons.  

Edited by DieselDaisy

Maybe it was high time that the divide and conquer politics spread by the british empire should now at the end of the empire start to take roost in Britain. 

Tearing yourselves apart. 

From the sidelines, this is a class issue. Hidden in multiple lines of bullshit and as usual the working class won’t stick together: 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

TELEMMGLPICT000210882443_trans_NvBQzQNjv

The whole exchange can be found here if you want to see the truth and not remainer lies,

Sorry, what was it she said that was wrong exactly? 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Sorry, what was it she said that was wrong exactly? 

Oh dear. You aren't offended by words like surrender and betrayal now, are you? Jesus. No wonder you never return home to Hartlepool much. The state of the metrosexual woofter you have become. They'd crucify you. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Maybe it was high time that the divide and conquer politics spread by the british empire should now at the end of the empire start to take roost in Britain. 

Tearing yourselves apart. 

From the sidelines, this is a class issue. Hidden in multiple lines of bullshit and as usual the working class won’t stick together: 

Rather cuts across class I'm afraid, although there are perhaps tendencies which can be ascertained. Working classes of Scotland and London would be more inclined to vote remain whereas the working classes of non-London England and Wales: leave. Rather splits the upper classes also, evidence of which can be seen in how ''Europe'' has torn apart the Tory Party. I would be inclined to say the middle classes lean towards the EU, but even here I'm sure there are exceptions (e.g., middle classes in the north/midlands voting leave). Broadly, remain is more urban whereas leave is more rural and/or small town. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It doesn't change much. Two wrongs doesn't make it right. Yes, Boris should've answered her. But he could've taken the high road. He could've said it wasn't the right time to bring up Jo Cox. Then, if he wanted to tell Paula Sherriff to go fuck herself, fine. He should've made it about Sherriff and not about Cox.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

John Major's hypocrisy criticising Boris. The same John Major who ''prorogued Parliament to stymie debate''. The same John Major who removed Tory whip (from the Maastricht Rebels). Next John Major will be criticising Boris for his marital infidelities!

You seem more flustered about other people being hypocritical when they critisize Johnson than actually dismayed with Johnson. I see the same thing in USA where fans of Trump will prefer to react to criticism of Trump with accusing the criticisers of being hypocritical rather than actually defend Trump or accept that the criticism is well-founded.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

You seem more flustered about other people being hypocritical when they critisize Johnson than actually dismayed with Johnson. I see the same thing in USA where fans of Trump will prefer to react to criticism of Trump with accusing the criticisers of being hypocritical rather than actually defend Trump or accept that the criticism is well-founded.

Hypocrisy is a perfectly legitimate criticism. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hypocrisy is a perfectly legitimate criticism. 

Of course ;) But what is worse? Someone accusing another of doing something wrong that he is guilty of himself from before, or someone doing something wrong now? To me, accusing critics of hypocrisy seems just like a deflection so you don't have to respond to the actual criticism. It is weak and so transparent.

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course ;) But what is worse? Someone accusing another of doing something wrong that he is guilty of himself from before, or someone doing something wrong now? To me, accusing critics of hypocrisy seems just like a deflection so you don't have to respond to the actual criticism. It is weak and so transparent.

I have criticised Boris Johnson quite frequently on here, as recently as,

On 9/17/2019 at 2:32 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I actually think he is quite a clever guy in that this Jeeves and Wooster/Dickensean thing which first come to the forefront during Have I Got News From You is a bit of media creation. He speaks 4-5 languages including Latin (he conversed with Macron in fluent French) although he only got a second in classics from Balliol so he isn't that clever, but he is nobody's fool. I am very cynical on how much the bumbling act is real. I think the bugger puts it on to appeal to voters, a bit of populism.

PS

He is not even very consistent on Brexit, yet some see him as part of this ''Brexit duo'' with Farage. But he is actually a flip-flopper on the one issue that he has come to represent. He voted for May's deal on the third occasion and only chucked his hat in the leave campaign at the last moment. Cameron thinks he only supported Brexit to court popularity and I can well believe it.

He is a really cynical political operator, navigating the courses of populism and ''image creation'' for careerism, but he is far from a stupid fella. 

On 9/17/2019 at 2:38 PM, DieselDaisy said:

There is almost a sense that he wants you to believe he is an idiot. I think it is image creation. I could imagine him having some lackey buggering up the crane device on purpose when he was suspended on that zip wire during the Olympics. It is as much image creation as Blair's ''I'm a pretty regular guy'' act.

That is just my own theory. There probably is something of this ''bumbling act'' that is a genuine aspect of his character, but I feel he embellishes it to create this populist persona which is of a sort of Dickensean caricature (Mr Pickwick perhaps?) with a dash of Churchill chucked in. 

On 9/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Yes. It is a persona. An act. He really isn't this bumbling Dickensian. This is an act he is performing for us. He actually is a very cynical and clever political operator.

24 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have criticised Boris Johnson quite frequently on here, as recently as,

Was that the best you could find? Those quotes felt more like you praising Johnson that criticising him, especially when coming from someone like you :lol:. Basically you describe his as a clever guy (even fawning over the fact he can speak Latin; I bet you had a semi while typing it) who just cynically puts on an act to attract voters. 

Still, entirely irrelevant to my point.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Was that the best you could find? Those quotes felt more like you praising Johnson that criticising him, especially when coming from someone like you :lol:. Basically you describe his as a clever guy (even fawning over the fact he can speak Latin; I bet you had a semi while typing it) who just cynically puts on an act to attract voters. 

Still, entirely irrelevant to my point.

I don't know what you expect of me? Do you want me to call him a ''bumbling idiot''?

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I don't know what you expect of me? Do you want me to call him a ''bumbling idiot''?

I expect you to behave exactly like you do. 

What I wish more people would do, though, is not to react with "hypocrisy!" when met with criticism but instead actually respond to the criticism. I see it quite a lot in public discourse and it is such a weak thing to do.

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I expect you to behave exactly like you do. 

What I wish more people would do, though, is not to react with "hypocrisy!" when met with criticism but instead actually respond to the criticism. I see it quite a lot in public discourse and it is such a weak thing to do.

When Person A, attacking Person B, is guilty of the very same things that they're attacking Person B for, it stands to reason that there will be criticism. Also it rather undervalues A's criticisms. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

John Major's hypocrisy criticising Boris. The same John Major who ''prorogued Parliament to stymie debate''. The same John Major who removed Tory whip (from the Maastricht Rebels). Next John Major will be criticising Boris for his marital infidelities!

Major is a bizarre character to say the least. A man previously thought of as the most boring politician ever to walk the earth (brilliantly encapsulated by his grey 'Spitting Image' puppet) and then, gradually, more has been revealed, the intriguing Edwina Currie leg-over revelations, teaming up with his old nemesis Blair in the run-up to the referendum, like a couple of old crooners doing a comeback/farewell tour and now, the mask of dullness is removed completely to reveal a kind of Bond-esque super-villian, sinisterly pulling strings behind the scenes in order to protect his position within the elite. It really is quite astonishing.

I like him.

9 hours ago, Padme said:

First, "the people who insult..." That's too broad. You mean we here? You mean celebrities like Hugh Grant? Second, let's face it, Boris is well known for making a fool of himself.  He brought up Jo Cox. Don't you find it disrespectful? It was tragic what happened to the late Jo Cox. Corbyn should be the target no Jo Cox. I don't think Boris is a nazi. But racists and bigots are on the Leave side. Are ALL Leavers fascists? NO! But those kind of people are within the group of Leavers. I think Boris just jumped the Brexit bandwagon for his own personal gain. And as we see. It clearlly paid off.

No, I'm afraid Boris didn't bring up Jo Cox, as already stated elsewhere, it was opposition MPs who did, quite disgracefully. He merely responded to their rather hysterical line of questioning as best he could. Also, it is Remainers who have displayed quite fascist tendancies in refusing to accept the outcome of a democratic referendum, not giving losers' consent and instead seeking to undermine, delegitimize and overturn the result every step of the way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

When Person A, attacking Person B, is guilty of the very same things that they're attacking Person B for, it stands to reason that there will be criticism. Also it rather undervalues A's criticisms. 

Yes, absolutely. But people use "HYPOCRISY!" as a shield to avoid answering to their own criticism.