British Politics

Gracii Guns

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It just shows that leavers cannot be stereotyped as Julia Hartley-Brewer is an atheist and a republican, the (remainer) assumption being that Brexiteers, at least the posher-southern variety, are twee types who no doubt follow ''the royals'' and go to church on Sunday.

So one outlier ruins a trend? ;)

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It just shows that leavers cannot be stereotyped as Julia Hartley-Brewer is an atheist and a republican, the (remainer) assumption being that Brexiteers, at least the posher-southern variety, are twee types who no doubt follow ''the royals'' and go to church on Sunday.

Its a bit much to declare that one side made an assumption that you have literally just made up yourself.  Surely they must teach you that in the first year of the Jeremy Clarkson clown college.

Edited by spunko12345

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

Its a bit much to declare that one side made an assumption that you have literally just made up yourself.  Surely they must teach you that in the first year of the Jeremy Clarkson clown ollege.

Jeremy Clarkson is a staunch remainer. Superficially you wouldn't think it would you, given his penchant for anti-European humour and general blokish demeanour, but he is?

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Jeremy Clarkson is a staunch remainer. Superficially you wouldn't think it would you, given his penchant for anti-European humour and general blokish demeanour, but he is?

I really couldn't care less what he is or anyone else, it's up to them I honestly could not give a fucking monkeys how famous people vote. 

Remainer, Brexiteer, these are silly new made up words. I've literally never heard anyone say them in real like. 

11 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

I really couldn't care less what he is or anyone else, it's up to them I honestly could not give a fucking monkeys how famous people vote. 

Remainer, Brexiteer, these are silly new made up words. I've literally never heard anyone say them in real like. 

I was in a pub in West-Hampstead and a table of what superficially at least looked like middle class people started rabbiting on about ''idiots who voted for Brexit blah blah blah''. It was rather like a leavers' cliche of typical remain voters. Later I was in a pub in North-Lambeth and there was a ''Bollocks to Brexit'' poster on the wall.

Far less of it in the North East, but there was a Scottish guy (see, not from the North East?) at the cricket in Durham doing the anti-Brexit thing, ''idiots'' (loudly in public), and as my mate pointed out, ''county cricket has an oldish demographic and conservative inclination and this area voted well above the national average for leave so he should better watch what he says''!

The joy of these morning Rugby matches is to avoid it on the news I have felt.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Gove praising the Conservatives today for ''standing up to dictators'' (obvious reference to Hitler), cue historical rant by yours truly about 1930s appeasement under the Tories, Baldwin, Chamberlain and Lord Halifax, and (if Gove was referring to Churchill here) Churchill being an outsider figure in the Conservative Party. 

The war wouldn't have happened if not for Conservative appeasement (and disarmament)!

Not that Labour and the Liberals were much better.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Gove praising the Conservatives today for ''standing up to dictators'' (obvious reference to Hitler), cue historical rant by yours truly about 1930s appeasement under the Tories, Baldwin, Chamberlain and Lord Halifax, and (if Gove was referring to Churchill here) Churchill being an outsider figure in the Conservative Party. 

The war wouldn't have happened if not for Conservative appeasement (and disarmament)!

Not that Labour and the Liberals were much better.

The war would've happened no matter what. Hitler and a big part of the German people wanted revenge. 

12 minutes ago, Padme said:

The war would've happened no matter what. Hitler and a big part of the German people wanted revenge. 

I don't agree. An Anglo-French show of force when Hitler marched into the Rhineland or during Anschluss would have almost certainly led to his overthrow, arrest and/or execution without war breaking out. Even as late as the Munich Crisis, there was the Oster conspiracy which would've overthrown Hitler, establishing martial law, possibly paving the way for a return of the Hohenzollerns. But then Chamberlain arrived...

PS

The USSR were economically and military vested in Czechoslovakia and put out overtures to the British. ''Munich'' was basically the last attempt at an Anglo-Franco-Soviet entente at a time when the Wehrmacht were weak and Hitler's position far from secure. Soviet mistrust of the British and Molotov-Ribbentrop was the inevitable consequence.

Edited by DieselDaisy

36 minutes ago, Dazey said:

So Nigel Farage campaigned for top paedo Roy Moore in his US senate election campaign. Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/nigel-farage-roy-moore-sexual-assault-allegations-underage-doubts-timing-why-now-a8053321.html

What is it with the far right? Anti climate change. Support pedophiles. Wants out of committed relationships with other countries. Don't care that much for the fundamentals of democracies. Nationalistic, even white. Anti-immigration. Ugh.

It is unfair, I know, but it is getting harder and harder not to lump all of them together into a big bag of ugly. 

39 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What is it with the far right? Anti climate change. Support pedophiles. Wants out of committed relationships with other countries. Don't care that much for the fundamentals of democracies. Nationalistic, even white. Anti-immigration. Ugh.

It is unfair, I know, but it is getting harder and harder not to lump all of them together into a big bag of ugly. 

Give them some credit though. Many of them have recently become staunch advocates for juvenile mental heath issues. Who would have thought that would go hand in hand with climate denial? :lol: 

This made me laugh. :lol: 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

That was not sold as some ''opinion poll'' but an once in a lifetime national referendum.

I was once “sold” a gram of coke in Vegas that turned out to be baking powder. Life’s a bitch. :lol: 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

In Western Europe Greens are on the rise. While Far Right is on decline. Just take a look at the EU Parliament, Greece and Austria elections.