British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Thanks. You left me nonplussed because you tend to not make mistakes. 

I am doing a million things at once which yes, entails arguing about cricket. 

1 minute ago, soon said:

You've been watching too much of The Hundred! You got a hotdog stuffed in your mouth right now, dont ya?? 

Classy, isn't it?

The-Hundred-kits-launch1-752x428.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Cricket makes you stupid? 

The Hundred certainly will.

PS

It is Cricket's Brexit. 

Except with Brexit half of the country disagree with and hate the other half. With The Hundred, the majority of traditional cricket fans hate the administration and the 100. But there are certain analogies, such as the way the positions have become entrenched and overly hostile, and the way there is widespread dismay and suspicion at the governing elite and media class. 

Cricket's Brexit. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Classy, isn't it?

The-Hundred-kits-launch1-752x428.jpg

I have to admit that this looks completely normal to me. Its not until I attempt to picture the British food stuffs being advertised that my sensibilities become offended. :lol: 

Edited by soon

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I have to admit that this looks completely normal to me. Its not until I attempt to picture the British food stuffs being advertised that my sensibilities become offended. :lol: 

For an English cricket fan, this is normal,

PS

Typical county cricket attendance haha,

Empty20County20Championship20ground.jpg?

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The two are absolutely comparable if we are highlighting the socio-economic argument. The socio-economic cannot just be confined to Scotland's internal border but encompass large non-Scottish sections of the United Kingdom: Northern England, Midlands, Wales and Northern Ireland. Unless of course you simply reject the socio-economic argument and rely on naked nationalism?

The ironic thing is you are espousing nation statism - very much so - yet also desiring to belong to an organisation (the EU) who are thoroughly opposed to the nation state, claiming the nation state is dead and that the future of the polities of Europe resides upon Eurofederalism! Or if you are to go to Verhofstadt's extremity, ''empire''!

I didn't reject it at all: "Many of the impacts of Tory policy may have been similar in Scotland and England's North East (as in other places in England like Liverpool, or in Wales)". 

But, I highlighted that, democratically, Scotland has responded differently to Wales, Northern Ireland or any of the regions of England - not just as a matter of my personal opinion, but a matter of fact, demonstrated by the greater enthusiasm in Scotland for devolved government, and the substantial independence movement that has grown out of that. Scotland has rejected the impacts of Tory Britain by seeking a greater degree of self-determination, than Wales, Northern Ireland and the regions of England.

So, to address your original complaint about me wanting Scotland to govern itself because I broadly agree with the Scottish electorate on most things, and generally disagree with the outcomes of UK-wide votes by highlighting that the North East puts up and shuts up - it seems we're less inclined to do so up here and I'm sorry that bothers you but it's just the way it is. "We have a history of resistance..."

1 minute ago, Graeme said:

I didn't reject it at all: "Many of the impacts of Tory policy may have been similar in Scotland and England's North East (as in other places in England like Liverpool, or in Wales)". 

But, I highlighted that, democratically, Scotland has responded differently to Wales, Northern Ireland or any of the regions of England - not just as a matter of my personal opinion, but a matter of fact, demonstrated by the greater enthusiasm in Scotland for devolved government, and the substantial independence movement that has grown out of that. Scotland has rejected the impacts of Tory Britain by seeking a greater degree of self-determination, than Wales, Northern Ireland and the regions of England.

So, to address your original complaint about me wanting Scotland to govern itself because I broadly agree with the Scottish electorate on most things, and generally disagree with the outcomes of UK-wide votes by highlighting that the North East puts up and shuts up - it seems we're less inclined to do so up here and I'm sorry that bothers you but it's just the way it is. "We have a history of resistance..."

It is ironic as the first people who supported British political union were the Scottish themselves preceding the civil wars: Scotland desired politico-religious union under hierarchical Presbyterian government - and indeed went some extent in achieving this with the Solemn League and Covenant. This was welcomed less fondly in England who favoured sectarian congregationalism pertaining to Protestantism, besides possessing many Catholic/High-Church families who were politically prominent during the era of personal rule, the rule of the sects proliferating during the Commonwealth.  

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Mercenary cricket competition with plastic teams and plastic format. You'd love it. It is basically cricket redesigned for Soul Monster.

What the hell was that thing I was watching last night, The Draft. It looked like a fucking game show with ex players choosing players or some bollocks. So it's 100 balls an innings? They just might as well just toss a coin and choose the winner that way. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is some hot young Brexit totty on twitter. 

The lass you posted in the 'Back Boris' T-Shirt was a bit special. What's her name?

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

One young Brexiteer turned up to the Conservative Party Conference in her bra. 

Pics? :lol:

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

As far as I am concerned, it is word against word, or more precisely, some dude on twitter who counted the attendees from news footage and someone using “flow and fill rates and crowd density monitoring”. I know who I will trust, but it is not important to me. I couldn't care less if it was 50,000 or 5,000,000. It all reminds me of the Trump inaugural attendee discussion. I guess you are afraid to admit there is a growing number of people who want a second referendum.

As for lies. Ehem, remember that list I posted about the leave campaign's lies before the 2016 referendum? :lol: Let's be serious and admit that among humans there will always be liars, and it is likely you will find such people on both sides of the fence here? No wait, you are the one who couldn't even find something positive to say about the Eu when challenged, so it is probably futile to speak level with you.

Plot thickens,

https://fullfact.org/europe/peoples-vote-two-million-no-evidence/

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Apparently he is now a minor celebrity among continental Europeans!

He's been a guest on a talkshow over here several times already in the last couple of months... I'm surprised he has the time to come over each time...

...although I think it's because he has a crush on the talkshow host...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor eva jinek

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EvanG said:

He's been a guest on a talkshow over here several times already in the last couple of months... I'm surprised he has the time to come over each time...

...although I think it's because he has a crush on the talkshow host...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor eva jinek

I heard Europeans like his use of ''order'' amusing or novel or...

10 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Only ten days until he fucks off, thankfully.

What will your lot do then? :lol:

As much as I'm starting to get frustrated with this whole process dragging out I can't think what's wrong with what he did today. :shrugs: 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

As much as I'm starting to get frustrated with this whole process dragging out I can't think what's wrong with what he did today. :shrugs: 

Technically it was correct according to convention. No problem with that. He does. however, happily tear up convention when it favours the remain side to do so.

The Speaker is supposed to act with impartiality and he clearly doesn't.

Just now, bucketfoot said:

Technically it was correct according to convention. No problem with that. He does. however, happily tear up convention when it favours the remain side to do so.

The Speaker is supposed to act with impartiality and he clearly doesn't.

Can't really disagree about the impartiality but this instance was completely proper. The thing I can't fathom is why they didn't proceed with the vote on Saturday. All Letwin did was withhold consent until the legislation was passed which isn't that big of a deal when all's said and done.