British Politics

Gracii Guns

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You said Parliament is a example of ''better times'' here, and mentioned the British Empire as an example, yet there is nothing particularly ''Imperial'' about Westminster as it originated far earlier, when England was actually a rather weak country.

I do not understand the point you were making then.

The point I was making is that some parliamentary customs that seem hilariously dated to us non-Brits, like shown in the video posted, are leftovers from a time that some Brits might consider to have been better. All this pomp and traditions and rituals, as seen in your Parliament, your Monarchy, all originate at different times and some predate what anyone would consider "better times", yet are inextricably connected to customs of the British Empire or when you were at your height. It is like you know it is all gone but at least the archaic customs can't be taken away from you! It's just a case of pretending and appearances. 

Edited by SoulMonster

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

yet are inextricably connected to customs of the British Empire or when you were at your height.

They aren't though!

If you said tea drinking, Palladian architecture or many of the customs associated with the armed forces I'd have agreed with you. 

PS

You have a point about the monarchy which, although commencing in the 9th century (this is true for both England and Scotland)*, appropriated much of the pomp and ceremony of empire during the 18th and 19th century. The best example of this is Queen Victoria being made Empress of India by Prime Minister Disraeli. We still see traces of this monarchical-imperial association in the honours system.

* Present dynasty however is as recent as 1901, changing its name from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor in 1917 but effectively the same royal house.

Edited by DieselDaisy

In layman's terms Boris won the vote (by a reasonable margin) but this triumph was rather cancelled out by losing the second vote which was about pushing bill through in three days. Again, the cycle continues...

19 Labour MPs backing Boris's bill incidentally,

Kevin Barron Sarah Champion Rosie Cooper Jon Cruddas Gloria de Piero Jim Fitzpatrick Caroline Flint Mike Hill Dan Jarvis Emma Lewell-Buck John Mann Grahame Morris Lisa Nandy Mel Onn Stephanie Peacock Jo Platt Ruth Smeeth Laura Smith Gareth Snell

15 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

No longer if we leave..... but when.

giphy.gif

The funny thing about that is it betrays his public school background as it is essentially a rugby tackle, an extremely good tackle as it happens, and Boris played rugby union at Eton. Poshers have no idea what (association) football is - it is considered a plebs' sport played and supported by Britain's working classes and a load of dodgy Europeans. Rugby Union, Cricket and Polo are the sports of choice in our public schools (and Oxbridge). 'The sports of empire and commonwealth''. When was the last time an Etonian played in the Premiership?

Edited by DieselDaisy

45 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In layman's terms Boris won the vote (by a reasonable margin) but this triumph was rather cancelled out by losing the second vote which was about pushing bill through in three days. Again, the cycle continues...

19 Labour MPs backing Boris's bill incidentally,

As much as this is just going to drag things out I can't really argue with Parliament wanting a little longer than 72 hours to conduct oversight and scrutiny of the bill. 

11 minutes ago, Dazey said:

As much as this is just going to drag things out I can't really argue with Parliament wanting a little longer than 72 hours to conduct oversight and scrutiny of the bill. 

Scrutiny my arse. They have had three years and it is just the same bill as May's with the backstop removed. They just want to stymie it.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

The funny thing about that is it betrays his public school background as it is essentially a rugby tackle, an extremely good tackle as it happens.

Its a terrible rugby tackle, in fact it would be a penalty as he doesn't wrap his arms around he just shoulder barges.

The bill was published last night and even gov. ministers hadn't read it.

It completely contradicated everything he said about the Northern Ireland border for example. It'd have been foolish for people vote for this before they got a chance to read it.

What I don't understand is why he's paused the bill when it seemed he might actually have enough votes. Can only assume he was worried it might actually get passed before a general election.

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

British = English

Not really. When England and Scotland formed a Union (1707) Scotland's MPs joined the English Parliament, which thereafter become a British Parliament. It is rather inevitable a discussion of Westminster would begin in England!

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

History = Telegraph fantasy

I don't read the Telegraph.