Gracii Guns

British Politics

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You'd struggle to find a person who voted for Cameron, May, or supported austerity, in the north east of England, yet we don't go crying about independence 24/7. The North East was/is hit as hard as Scotland by the effects of Thatcherite-Toryism, pit closures, etc. 

The two aren't really comparable. The North East of England is a region of England, it is not one of the two countries party to the treaty of Union, it isn't a separate legal jurisdiction. Furthermore, there seems to be little-to-no appetite for any form of self-government in the North East of England, which rejected a devolution proposal by 78%. Scotland, on the other hand, voted in favour by nearly the same margin (74%), has consistently elected a majority of pro-independence political representatives for most of the last decade, and ongoing opinion polling suggests roughly half of the Scottish population now believes in independence (sometimes just under, sometimes just over). 

Many of the impacts of Tory policy may have been similar in Scotland and England's North East (as in other places in England like Liverpool, or in Wales) - but Scotland's democratic response has been very different, and this is probably largely due to the apparatus of statehood that Scotland has, giving us a greater sense of autonomy and a stronger platform to manifest our opposition and resistance to the current direction of British politics. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

It's a good thing I've got a massive bottle of morphine to hand to dull the pain eh @Len Cnut :lol: 

And he’s not even joking :lol: 

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would object to a second referendum if remain had won the first one. 

I saw this first now.

Err, why should I believe that guy on twitter? Did he study drone footage of the entire rally? As far as I am concerned this is just word against word. 

And again, why does it matter so much to you? :lol:

Edited by SoulMonster

14 hours ago, Dazey said:

I do think that we should give the Scots a second referendum at this point as well.

It's not that easy. Let say there is another referendum. People vote to be independent. Scotland needs to submit an application to the EU in order to be a new member. They have to go to the back of the line and wait. It takes years. So Scotland will be in limbo, nobody knows for how long.

5 minutes ago, Padme said:

It's not that easy. Let say there is another referendum. People vote to be independent. Scotland needs to submit an application to the EU in order to be a new member. They have to go to the back of the line and wait. It takes years. So Scotland will be in limbo, nobody knows for how long.

I didn’t say anything about Scotland’s EU membership. I was just taking about their status as a part of the UK which is as simple as Westminster granting them another vote. 

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I didn’t say anything about Scotland’s EU membership. I was just taking about their status as a part of the UK which is as simple as Westminster granting them another vote. 

Sure, but Scotland wants a second referendum so they can decide over their future. And what they have in mind is the EU membership

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

Sure, but Scotland wants a second referendum so they can decide over their future. And what they have in mind is the EU membership

It’s one part of it yes but the 2014 vote was two years before Brexit and would actually have resulted in Scotland leaving the EU of their own volition. This still won 45% of the vote so clearly desire for independence is significant irrespective of Brexit. 

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

And he’s not even joking :lol: 

How'd you end up with a big bottle of morphine??

Threw your back out, shagging in 9/8? :lol:

3 minutes ago, soon said:

How'd you end up with a big bottle of morphine??

Threw your back out, shagging in 9/8? :lol:

He’s got it, not me :lol: