Jump to content
Gracii Guns

British Politics

Recommended Posts

I've always found your parliament very funny. It looks like a lot of people in a very cramped space and they're all putting on a show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dazey said:

So if all the bad stuff predicted as a result of Brexit comes true the remain side can't have a bit of a whinge about it? 

Since there is an agreement. I don't think there will be an earthquake. If 10 or 15 years from now, things are going really bad. Then you should demand answers from Parliament and whoever the PM is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Like so much else with British society, it is a vestigial feature reminiscent of better times.

"Better"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1lsMz8o.jpg

The Trudeau's arriving at Rideau Hall to ask the Queens representative, the Governor General, to accept the election results and reinstate him as Prime Minstrel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Like so much else with British society, it is a vestigial feature reminiscent of better times.

Oh go fuck yourself Norway boy, I'd take the shittest England over the best Norway any day of the week, honestly, slaggin' off the manor every other day, your mums a vestigial feature :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh go fuck yourself Norway boy, I'd take the shittest England over the best Norway any day of the week, honestly, slaggin' off the manor every other day, your mums a vestigial feature :lol:

Me, too! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EvanG said:

How is it not hilarious? Maybe you are used to it by now, but to me this looks more like a scene from a comedy show than anything else.

(evidently he named his cat ''order'' as well)

 

Well I know that you're staved for humour/comedy on the continent but this is desperation!

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Like so much else with British society, it is a vestigial feature reminiscent of better times.

Medieval actually. Developed in the 13th century (1258 is a key date) from earlier precedents. Not sure even the most backward of Englishman would consider the era of the Black Death and Crusades to be ''better times''!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well I know that you're staved for humour/comedy on the continent but this is desperation!

Medieval actually. Developed in the 13th century (1258 is a key date) from earlier precedents. Not sure even the most backward of Englishman would consider the era of the Black Death and Crusades to be ''better times''!

I wasn't necessarily talking about the time when it originated, more the height of the British Empire with all its curious parliamentary and regal customs and traditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, soon said:

1lsMz8o.jpg

The Trudeau's arriving at Rideau Hall to ask the Queens representative, the Governor General, to accept the election results and reinstate him as Prime Minstrel.

Trudeau's opening speech,

CleverPowerfulGibbon-small.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoulMonster said:

I wasn't necessarily talking about the time when it originated, more the height of the British Empire with all its curious parliamentary and regal customs and traditions.

The archaic forms and rituals of Parliament, have very little to do with ''the height of the British Empire'', which I take to mean 1815-1870, as Parliament preceded the British Empire by centuries! Even the Black Rod ritualism and obstructing of the speaker are rituals from the 17th century. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The archaic forms and rituals of Parliament, have very little to do with ''the height of the British Empire'', which I take to mean 1815-1870, as Parliament preceded the British Empire by centuries! Even the Black Rod ritualism and obstructing of the speaker are rituals from the 17th century. 

Again I wasn't implying that Brits long for the exact time when they originated :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Again I wasn't implying that Brits long for the exact time when they originated :lol:

You said Parliament is a example of ''better times'' here, and mentioned the British Empire as an example, yet there is nothing particularly ''Imperial'' about Westminster as it originated far earlier, when England was actually a rather weak country.

I do not understand the point you were making then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Trudeau's opening speech,

CleverPowerfulGibbon-small.gif

Trudeau first coalition meeting with the NDP

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You said Parliament is a example of ''better times'' here, and mentioned the British Empire as an example, yet there is nothing particularly ''Imperial'' about Westminster as it originated far earlier, when England was actually a rather weak country.

I do not understand the point you were making then.

The point I was making is that some parliamentary customs that seem hilariously dated to us non-Brits, like shown in the video posted, are leftovers from a time that some Brits might consider to have been better. All this pomp and traditions and rituals, as seen in your Parliament, your Monarchy, all originate at different times and some predate what anyone would consider "better times", yet are inextricably connected to customs of the British Empire or when you were at your height. It is like you know it is all gone but at least the archaic customs can't be taken away from you! It's just a case of pretending and appearances. 

Edited by SoulMonster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

yet are inextricably connected to customs of the British Empire or when you were at your height.

They aren't though!

If you said tea drinking, Palladian architecture or many of the customs associated with the armed forces I'd have agreed with you. 

 

PS

You have a point about the monarchy which, although commencing in the 9th century (this is true for both England and Scotland)*, appropriated much of the pomp and ceremony of empire during the 18th and 19th century. The best example of this is Queen Victoria being made Empress of India by Prime Minister Disraeli. We still see traces of this monarchical-imperial association in the honours system.

* Present dynasty however is as recent as 1901, changing its name from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor in 1917 but effectively the same royal house.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In layman's terms Boris won the vote (by a reasonable margin) but this triumph was rather cancelled out by losing the second vote which was about pushing bill through in three days. Again, the cycle continues...

19 Labour MPs backing Boris's bill incidentally,

Quote

Kevin Barron Sarah Champion Rosie Cooper Jon Cruddas Gloria de Piero Jim Fitzpatrick Caroline Flint Mike Hill Dan Jarvis Emma Lewell-Buck John Mann Grahame Morris Lisa Nandy Mel Onn Stephanie Peacock Jo Platt Ruth Smeeth Laura Smith Gareth Snell

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

No longer if we leave..... but when.

giphy.gif

The funny thing about that is it betrays his public school background as it is essentially a rugby tackle, an extremely good tackle as it happens, and Boris played rugby union at Eton. Poshers have no idea what (association) football is - it is considered a plebs' sport played and supported by Britain's working classes and a load of dodgy Europeans. Rugby Union, Cricket and Polo are the sports of choice in our public schools (and Oxbridge). 'The sports of empire and commonwealth''. When was the last time an Etonian played in the Premiership?

Edited by DieselDaisy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In layman's terms Boris won the vote (by a reasonable margin) but this triumph was rather cancelled out by losing the second vote which was about pushing bill through in three days. Again, the cycle continues...

19 Labour MPs backing Boris's bill incidentally,

As much as this is just going to drag things out I can't really argue with Parliament wanting a little longer than 72 hours to conduct oversight and scrutiny of the bill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dazey said:

As much as this is just going to drag things out I can't really argue with Parliament wanting a little longer than 72 hours to conduct oversight and scrutiny of the bill. 

Scrutiny my arse. They have had three years and it is just the same bill as May's with the backstop removed. They just want to stymie it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Scrutiny my arse. 

Only if you buy me dinner afterwards. :lol: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×