British Politics

Gracii Guns

39 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks. You know, we have the same parliamentary system minus the differences in your House of Lords *gives you side eye* :lol:  (J/K I appreciate you taking time to offer that. I was just being more critical than earnest with my question in this case :lol:)

Private members bills rarely become law, here in Canada. Even less are they even prioritized to get a reading, with the time restraints. Given that, something as monumental as public healthcare would have to be introduced by the government. Thats where I was speaking from. Maybe Im missing something though?

What Dies' has done, so far as I understand, is highlighted how individuals in other parties proposed various forms of public healthcare but that their parties didn't support it. IMHO it doesn't warrant any partial credit going to the parties who didnt bring public healthcare just based on the merit that individuals within their ranks acted in support of it. And, I mean, all bills are informed by preexisting thought (except in the case of Trumps camp :lol:).

As far as a I know it is possible for a public members bill to be brought and passed without government approval in certain circumstances. The Benn Act passed recently would be one such example.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/benn-act

Private members bills tend not to do very well here because Christopher Chope is a cuntflap! :lol: 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dazey said:

My area is so much the ''Labour northern heartland'' that the Tories do not even bother campaigning here - I have had nothing through the door from them. I expect Labour's percentage will dip though as this is a thorough leave area (60.49%), but I suspect there is a significant buffer to withstand Labour's deceit on Brexit. Ronnie retired and we have some new candidate, a frizzy haired ginger woman. 

Thing is, with Ronnie, you had one of the only unreformed old school Labour Eurosceptics so it would have been easier to square your Euroscepticism with a vote for your constituency's MP. Frizzy Lizzy does not have that credential. Their percentage will dip but they'll still get in. They'll leak a few votes to The Brexit Party.

12 minutes ago, soon said:

So... Labour. 

That would be Attlee's famous post-war 1945-1951 government. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Ronnie replaced by frizzy haired lady,

4doBTrjs_400x400.jpg

Last time Ronnie got in with 55% (Tories 36%). I suspect it'll be more like 50% - a significant swing away but still a reasonably comfortable Labour hold. We'll see how right I am soon enough...

PS

My Green candidate has an interesting portfolio,

Opera Singer, Filmmaker, Composer & Physicist, Gender critic, Loves dogs, hates violence against women.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I live in a Lib Dem safe seat with ~5000 majority. I'm planning to vote for SNP again though, and my partner is torn between voting Lib Dem or SNP. I think we're both just greatful that neither Tory or Labour have a hope in hell of winning here :lol:

I work nightshift from home so planning to do very little work and will watch the results as they come in live. Might need to get a few beers in just incase of a Tory majority :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, downliner said:

I live in a Lib Dem safe seat with ~5000 majority. I'm planning to vote for SNP again though, and my partner is torn between voting Lib Dem or SNP. I think we're both just greatful that neither Tory or Labour have a hope in hell of winning here :lol:

I work nightshift from home so planning to do very little work and will watch the results as they come in live. Might need to get a few beers in just incase of a Tory majority :facepalm:

The yougov mrp suggests the SNP are in with a shot on Shetland. Says it's very close.

Just saying!

I on the other hand live in a seat that hasn't elected someone on the right since the 1800s.

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am predicting Labour making a modest comeback in Scotland. Think they'll yank a few seats away from the SNP.

I haven't seen much Labour support where I live, but you can never tell with elections really. I didn't expect Tories to win back seats in 2017 but they did, guess we'll wait and see :)

10 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

The yougov mrp suggests the SNP are in with a shot on Shetland. Says it's very close.

We've had a Lib Dem for about 100 years so I'd be shocked if SNP did win. It's mostly a farming community so I think the message of just Stop Brexit will be more popular than the SNPs Stop Brexit and give us IndyRef2. Maybe more people have had enough of Westminster though so who knows :shrugs:

8 minutes ago, downliner said:

I haven't seen much Labour support where I live, but you can never tell with elections really. I didn't expect Tories to win back seats in 2017 but they did, guess we'll wait and see :)

We've had a Lib Dem for about 100 years so I'd be shocked if SNP did win. It's mostly a farming community so I think the message of just Stop Brexit will be more popular than the SNPs Stop Brexit and give us IndyRef2. Maybe more people have had enough of Westminster though so who knows :shrugs:

They'll not win in Shetlands but I had in mind constituencies such as Glasgow South West, Glasgow East and Airdrie and Shotts. Marginal SNP seats.

Edited by DieselDaisy

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

All three parties had National Health Service proposals in their 1945 manifestos. 

- Conservative manifesto, 1945

It's a feint at worst. The fact remains that the NHS arrived under a Labour government. Both you and I know if we go back 80 years and trawl through any party manifesto every single sentence and paragraph will be carefully worded to paint the party in the best possible light.

If you really wanted to hold up each and every statement said politician has said over the last 80 years to the flimsiest scrutiny you'd get these sort of shocking (not in the slightest) revelations. But you've focused on one particular Labour one which isn't even a lie. Its reasonable and predictable for you to do that because you don't want a Labour government which is fair enough. But it's disingenious to pretend every other party doesn't use these sort of tactics.

You bald headed fucker you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

It's a feint at worst. The fact remains that the NHS arrived under a Labour government. Both you and I know if we go back 80 years and trawl through any party manifesto every single sentence and paragraph will be carefully worded to paint the party in the best possible light.

If you really wanted to hold up each and every statement said politician has said over the last 80 years to the flimsiest scrutiny you'd get these sort of shocking (not in the slightest) revelations. But you've focused on one particular Labour one which isn't even a lie. Its reasonable and predictable for you to do that because you don't want a Labour government which is fair enough. But it's disingenious to pretend every other party doesn't use these sort of tactics.

You bald headed fucker you.

The seed which created the NHS were instigated by a Liberal MP's - very famous - report and a Conservative MP's white paper ordered by Churchill's coalition government. Further, there would've been a National health Service of some form if the Conservatives or Liberals had won in 1945 as the peculiarities of the war created a consensus. I do not see how anyone can claim that it was solely a Labour creation. After all, the Conservatives didn't unravel the NHS when they were returned to power in 1951.

I didn't deny that the other parties do not lie and hold up their manifesto pledges. I reacted to this solely because it landed on my doormat. If it was a Conservative claim regarding some silliness I would've almost certainly cited it here (NB., my earlier post ridiculing Boris Johnson's JCB stunt). As reported earlier, I haven't received any Conservative literature. 

I don't see the purpose of saying something which is diametrically the opposite of reality? I have an unruly mop of hair! What is the purpose of maintaining a fiction? You don't have the slightest idea of what I look like. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Further on the creation of the NHS,

https://www.libdemvoice.org/setting-the-record-straight-labour-and-the-nhs-15930.html

Pertaining to Corbyn's conspiracy theorizing on the NHS and the Conservative Party, since the creation of the NHS the Conservatives have been in government for 44 out of the NHS's 71 years of existence, and have had two periods of significant (60 plus seat) majorities, 1955-9 and 1983-1992. The NHS still remains. 

Edited by DieselDaisy