British Politics

Gracii Guns

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Of course it was Blair who brought in possibly the worst bit of legislation since the Yanks banned alcohol in the 1920s: student tuition fees, 1998. 

The last time a left wing Labour Party won a majority (+3) was 45 years ago. Tony Blair moved the party to the centre in 1997 and won three in a row.

I get that he wasn't Labour Classic but that was still 13 years when the Tories were out of power. 

To be honest though I think we've seen the last Labour majority anyway given the electoral map in Scotland. I think any future non-Tory government is a Labour/SNP coalition. 

In fact if I were Boris right now I'd be handing a second independence referendum to Nicola Sturgeon on a silver platter. 

I really don't like this. Brexit was probably going to happen anyway, but this didn't need to happen. I don't think some people realize when they walk past a foodbank or a homeless person, how nasty it is to suggest people deserve it. I'm only 31, but this was a very different country when I was a teenager.

The Kensington one was particularly sickening. Sam Gyimah the darling of the liberal media (simply for quitting the Conservatives). Parachuted across the country into a seat the Liberal Democrats thought they could exploit, that he had no connection with. Ran a campaign of suggesting the incumbent Labour mp (who narrowly won it in 2017) was responsible for Grenfell. Also had tactical voting sites (such as Best for Britain ran by a Lib Dem) suggest remain Labour voters should tactically vote for him. Labour lost it by less than a hair, and he came a distant 3rd on 9K votes.

I have a lot of other thoughts, but they don't really matter.

4 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

No its not. People beliving they are the only ones who are right and not fucked up while everyone else is wrong is the biggest joke in history

Believing you have the best answers is not only an intrinsic part of the human condition but also a prerequisite to get things done. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dazey said:

The last time a left wing Labour Party won a majority (+3) was 45 years ago. Tony Blair moved the party to the centre in 1997 and won three in a row.

I get that he wasn't Labour Classic but that was still 13 years when the Tories were out of power. 

To be honest though I think we've seen the last Labour majority anyway given the electoral map in Scotland. I think any future non-Tory government is a Labour/SNP coalition. 

In fact if I were Boris right now I'd be handing a second independence referendum to Nicola Sturgeon on a silver platter. 

Neither Wilson nor Callaghan were ''the left wing of Labour'' however. The left wing of the Labour Party during Wilson and Callaghan's tenure was represented by Michael Foot and Tony Benn. 

It is a pity for your party that Caroline Flint lost her seat. Spoke a heck of a lot of sense this morning whilst eviscerating Corbynism and would be a good candidate for leadership,

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/10555533/caroline-flint-blasts-emily-thornberry-for-calling-voters-stupid/

13 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nandy can get it! The Party leadership too.

Whats shes saying seems to align with what people have been critical of about Labour under Corbyn and also aligns with what they say that they want. She wants to be "rooted in the communities." No London elitism from my girl. And here shes also being strategic without selling out her just principles.

I hope this works out, and not only because that means more pics and news about her :wub: But also because she seems to be what y'all want in Labour, as far as I understand.

Edited by soon

I don't understand the SNP's independence plans whatsoever.

Seeing as Scotland would want to join the European Union,

- If they keep Pound Sterling England would have to firstly agree to currency union; if England does agree then the Bank of England would control Scottish interest rates! ''Independence'' would mean merely forgoing political sway whilst subordinating the Scottish economy to England. They also can't join the European Union as per Maastricht.

- If Scotland want to join the European Union they would have to sign up to the Eurozone or negotiate an opt-out (see below). In either circumstances, this would basically replicate ''the Irish Border question'' between England and Scotland! It is utterly comical hearing SNP politicians basically paraphrase Boris Johnson on ''technological'' and ''Scandinavian solutions'' to border checks, despite criticising - even claiming they are ''fictional'' - these very same policies themselves when applied to Northern Ireland! 

- If they are determined on a new Scottish currency (''the Salmond''?), they can't join the Eurozone and therefore the European Union, unless they negotiate an opt-out like Denmark and the United Kingdom!

So what one is it?

Edited by DieselDaisy

56 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't understand the SNP's independence plans whatsoever.

Seeing as Scotland would want to join the European Union,

- If they keep Pound Sterling England would have to firstly agree to currency union; if England does agree then the Bank of England would control Scottish interest rates! ''Independence'' would mean merely forgoing political sway whilst subordinating the Scottish economy to England. They also can't join the European Union as per Maastricht.

- If Scotland want to join the European Union they would have to sign up to the Eurozone or negotiate an opt-out (see below). In either circumstances, this would basically replicate ''the Irish Border question'' between England and Scotland! It is utterly comical hearing SNP politicians basically paraphrase Boris Johnson on ''technological'' and ''Scandinavian solutions'' to border checks, despite criticising - even claiming they are ''fictional'' - these very same policies themselves when applied to Northern Ireland! 

- If they are determined on a new Scottish currency (''the Salmond''?), they can't join the Eurozone and therefore the European Union, unless they negotiate an opt-out like Denmark and the United Kingdom!

So what one is it?

What do you reckon to this? 😂

On a scale of one to ten how bad do you reckon it would go?

https://indywales.github.io/IndyWales/

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Believing you have the best answers is not only an intrinsic part of the human condition but also a prerequisite to get things done. 

Getting things done is one thing. Believing you are the only one with all the right answers it's arrogance. Chances are you have some good ideas and no so good ones. You have to keep an open mind and listen to others. That's the problem with world leaders everywhere. At the end, all they care about is power. There are few exceptions I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

What do you reckon to this? 😂

On a scale of one to ten how bad do you reckon it would go?

https://indywales.github.io/IndyWales/

Some initial observations, 

In one aspect - you're not wrong - Wales does belong in a Union, but rather one that treats it as an Equal.

Such as say, the United Nations.

The United Kingdom is not just in the UN, but has a permanent seat on the UN Security Council. There are only 5 permanent members on the UN Security Council and the UK is one. 

would'nt 

He vaguely knows it goes before the end, this writer, but he is not entirely sure so has made a guess to the best of his ability. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Padme said:

Getting things done is one thing. Believing you are the only one with all the right answers it's arrogance.

Yes, of course. But there is a difference between believing you are the only one with the right answers and just believing you have the rights answers. Every single human believe they have the right answers on some things. Very few, fortunately, believe no one else has the right answers.

On 13/12/2019 at 2:29 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I don't know why remainers are worrying. All you have to do is use the mathematics you used for the EU election and add all the losers up to produce a winner.

Already starting to see/hear a few examples of this. One on the radio last night said although he now accapted we would leave in January, Boris should grant another referendum to allow the possibility to rejoin during the transition period/future negotiations. :lol:

I think it's safe to say some of the extreme remainer nutjobs are simply never going to get over it, or at least not for a very, very long time. You have to feel a tiny bit sorry for them, really.

On a more sane note, however, Heseltine, Adonis and even Gina Miller all seem to have conceded that remain is over and thrown the towel in.

Also, Blair and Major appear to have gone back into hibernation, probably together as they seem to be inseparable these days.

Wonder how the 'STOP BREXIT!' shouter and EU Super Girl are getting on?

7 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Already starting to see/hear a few examples of this. One on the radio last night said although he now accapted we would leave in January, Boris should grant another referendum to allow the possibility to rejoin during the transition period/future negotiations. :lol:

I think it's safe to say some of the extreme remainer nutjobs are simply never going to get over it, or at least not for a very, very long time. You have to feel a tiny bit sorry for them, really.

On a more sane note, however, Heseltine, Adonis and even Gina Miller all seem to have conceded that remain is over and thrown the towel in.

Also, Blair and Major appear to have gone back into hibernation, probably together as they seem to be inseparable these days.

Wonder how the 'STOP BREXIT!' shouter and EU Super Girl are getting on?

I heard she is recording an album of Leonard Cohen covers.

Seriously, she has completely disappeared. And Lilly Allen called everyone in England ''racist'', posted a picture of herself in tears and then was banned or deleted her account depending on who you believe. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Lilly Allen called everyone in England ''racist'', posted a picture of herself in tears and then was banned or deleted her account depending on who you believe. 

Piers Morgan on Lily Allen: " I think I speak for Britain when I say if @lilyallen doesn’t like it here, why doesn’t she f*ck off?"

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Remainism is really a sort of disease which has infected this island. 

My stance is that I think it's a bad idea but I'm going to keep quiet about that now and actually be positive about leaving. We are leaving,  no point and a bit stupid in wanting to fail just to be proved right. 

Edited by spunko12345

you can't escape history

I wonder how things are different these days, that england can survive on its own. In the past, england needed colonies to survive. When colonies were no longer a thing, they benefited from a common market through the EU.

The land mass of England is too small to nurse all its inhabitants. This was a problem in the past (when there were fewer inhabitants than today), and this has not changed.

The need for land was the prime cause for world war I.

Seriously: how will you survive? You'll eat rocks, weed and drink sea water?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, action said:

you can't escape history

I wonder how things are different these days, that england can survive on its own. In the past, england needed colonies to survive. When colonies were no longer a thing, they benefited from a common market through the EU.

The land mass of England is too small to nurse all its inhabitants. This was a problem in the past (when there were fewer inhabitants than today), and this has not changed.

What a load of bollocks. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, action said:

you can't escape history

They'll live off the few remaining fish in their coastal waters and nostalgia. Heaps of nostalgia.

The only people I hear discussing the empire are remaniacs and the EU (Tusk). Being able to make bilateral trade deals and not restrict one's migration quota to a closed-off ''bloc'' is not a sign of regression but progression.

PS

The Momentum crazies are blaming their defeat on a biased media campaign against Corbyn. They are not going to learn from this, are they?

Oh, and ''the Jews'',

"The Chief Rabbi must be dancing in the street. The pro-Israel lobby won our General Election by lying about Jeremy Corbyn."

- Baroness Tonge 

Edited by DieselDaisy