British Politics

Gracii Guns

24 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Fighting talk from Jezza. Absolutely no comprehension of what just happened in the GE.

The bloke is coming across as a weirdo.

Somebody want to tell him that neither he nor Labour are going to be able to do shit for at least another 5 years? 
Fucking hell! What an absolute clown! 🤮

12 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Somebody want to tell him that neither he nor Labour are going to be able to do shit for at least another 5 years? 
Fucking hell! What an absolute clown! 🤮

It's his tone as well, almost that of a father reading a bedtime story to his children, whilst mentioning the resistance and the frontline like a freedom fighter.

It's totally fucking bizarre! :lol:

16 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

It's his tone as well, almost that of a father reading a bedtime story to his children, whilst mentioning the resistance and the frontline like a freedom fighter.

It's totally fucking bizarre! :lol:

He keeps banging on about the Labour Movement and his 500,000 followers. Doesn’t seem to understand that it means absolutely nothing in the face of an 80 seat Tory majority. 

Labour are in a sort of ''Corbynista bubble''. Momentum affiliated party members, activists and shouty supporters have blamed everyone else for their own dreary electoral performance. They, tossers like Owen Jones and Paul mason, blame a ''right wing media'' for demonising poor old Corbyn by bringing up antisemitism. They blame Labour's own right-wing centrists, who are depicted as a sort of ''fifth column undermining the far-left manifesto''. Their supporters, including various vacuous loud-mouthed celebs, have blamed Britain itself for being ''full of racists''. They have of course - and they actually have a good point here - blamed it on Brexit (without mentioning Corbyn's incomprehensible fudge on Brexit). 

Everyone and everything is blamed for the defeat but Jeremy Corbyn and his Momentum loonies.

There is no evidence of them ever rectifying this, and Labour becoming electable again, is there, if they pick Thornberry, Starmer or Long-Bailey?

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Labour are in a sort of ''Corbynista bubble''. Momentum affiliated party members, activists and shouty supporters have blamed everyone else for their own dreary electoral performance. They, tossers like Owen Jones and Paul mason, blame a ''right wing media'' for demonising poor old Corbyn by bringing up antisemitism. They blame Labour's own right-wing centrists, who are depicted as a sort of ''fifth column undermining the far-left manifesto''. Their supporters, including various vacuous loud-mouthed celebs, have blamed Britain itself for being ''full of racists''. They have of course - and they actually have a good point here - blamed it on Brexit (without mentioning Corbyn's incomprehensible fudge on Brexit). 

Everyone and everything is blamed for the defeat but Jeremy Corbyn and his Momentum loonies.

There is no evidence of them ever rectifying this, and Labour becoming electable again, is there, if they pick Thornberry, Starmer or Long-Bailey?

I think Starmer would have been a good shout were it not for Brexit but I think he’s far too tainted by that now. 
I’m still clinging on for Jess Phillips but the Corbyn loonies have got her pegged somewhere to the right of Enoch Powell in their minds at the moment so I don’t see her getting very far either. 

Edited by Dazey

The only good thing I can think of for Labour is, inherently Boris's Brexit will basically eradicate the area they are Janus-like over. It will remove the issue for them, so they'll be free to squabble amongst themselves, Blairite v Momentum, pertaining to how far left they push a domestic agenda. 

But they will have to wait for the trade deal to finally flush their Brexit policy down the toilet. Boris will be doing them that little bit of favour and they could begin to rebuild in 2021. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The only good thing I can think of for Labour is, inherently Boris's Brexit will basically eradicate the area they are Janus-like over. It will remove the issue for them, so they'll be free to squabble amongst themselves, Blairite v Momentum, pertaining to how far left they push a domestic agenda. 

But they will have to wait for the trade deal to finally flush their Brexit policy down the toilet. Boris will be doing them that little bit of favour and they could begin to rebuild in 2021. 

The only good thing for Labour (potentially) is that the Tories now own Brexit and whatever happens as a result. There’s no arguing about Parliament obstructing the will of the people etc any more. Whatever happens for good or ill is Boris responsibility. 

Edited by Dazey

17 minutes ago, Dazey said:

The only good thing for Labour (potentially) is that the Tories now own Brexit and whatever happens as a result. There’s no arguing about Parliament obstructing the will of the people etc any more. Whatever happens for good or ill is Boris responsibility. 

I don't see it like that - not that I am denying that the Tories have inherited leave - because if Labour are still going to be a remainer party during the ensuing trade discussions, vis-a-vis Boris's Brexit, they are going to be no further forward in winning back those northern heartlands. It will be better for Labour when Brexit is removed completely as an issue. 

And then Labour can commence attacking the Tories where they are most vulnerable, underfunded social services. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't see it like that - not that I am denying that the Tories have inherited leave - because if Labour are still going to be a remainer party during the ensuing trade discussions, vis-a-vis Boris's Brexit, they are going to be no further forward in winning back those northern heartlands. It will be better for Labour when Brexit is removed completely as an issue. 

I’m not framing it as leave vs remain. You’re right, that’s over. More that if Brexit goes badly, people will be hurting and looking for a change. 

31 minutes ago, Padme said:

It won't be armageddon because there is a deal in place. But those who think Brexit can make them go from rags to riches. That won't happen.

There’s no deal in place. The withdrawal agreement has nothing to do with any future trade deals. 
We don’t even start negotiations on trade until after we leave on January 31st and then we have until the end of 2020 to agree a full trade deal or we crash out. 

Edited by Dazey

22 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

What was the fucking point then? 😂

You will see little residual traces in day-to-day living is my point, at least in the immediate future. No pharmaceutical shortages or food riots or zombie apocalypses. At governmental level there will be a clear difference as Britain will be able to bilaterally trade and not be under EU jurisprudence.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

At governmental level there will be a clear difference as Britain will be able to bilaterally trade and not be under EU jurisprudence.

And what tangible benefits will we see from that? 

I'm fully behind Brexit now by the way. Just get on with it and hope it goes well.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

There’s no deal in place. The withdrawal agreement has nothing to do with any future trade deals. 
We don’t even start negotiations on trade until after we leave on January 31st and then we have until the end of 2020 to agree a full trade deal or we crash out. 

On February 1st the trasition begins. That means the UK will be kinda like Norway for the next 11 months. During those 11 months Boris will be negotiating new trade deals. Will 11 months be enough time to get new trade deals done? That remains to be seen.