British Politics

Gracii Guns

9 minutes ago, soon said:

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Ive noticed that how passionate someone is about "Free Speech" is often directly proportional to how ignorant they are to the concept of free speech. :lol:

You are ignorant. I am exactly right. The concept of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press means that the government can not shut down views they believe is propaganda or lies 

You essentially agree with Trump because you both believe fake news  or propaganda is an enemy to democracy

Here in the US if let's say Trump decided to ban CNN from press briefings means that   CNN can file a  lawsuit and win to be in the briefings  because we have something called the Bill Of Rights  and the media is essential to have a check on government

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

5 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

You are ignorant. I am exactly right. The concept of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press means that the government can not shut down views they believe is propaganda or lies 

You essentially agree with Trump because you both believe fake news  or propaganda is an enemy to democracy

Here in the US if let's say Trump decided to ban CNN from press briefings means that   CNN can file a  lawsuit and win to be in the briefings  because we have something called the Bill Of Rights  and the media is essential to have a check on government

Cool thoughts bro

9 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

If that happened it would be the nail in the coffin for the "Firm". A whole generation would forget what it's like to have an overlord and then this, what 18? 21 year old? starts trying to jump into the hot seat. The public would not have that.

I assume you'd see a gradual partaking of royal duties and public exposure - the child would be still king incidentally. We've never had a regent due to minority since 1547-1549, the reign of Edward VI I, I believe so we'd be in somewhat novel territory. The last time a regency was utilised at all was during the ''madness of King George (III)'', his son the Prince of Wales acting as Prince-Regent (1811-20). He was such a prolific builder and arbiter on taste, the Prince-Regent, that it lent itself to an entire style: ''Regency''. So we speak of ''Regency Architecture'' (Brighton Pavilion''), Regency furniture and Regency clothing, etc. He would later become king himself, George IV.

9 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

I guess England will need to change their national anthem soon aswell or just swap Queen for King.

Oh dear! This is the normal modus operandi!! It actually was originally conceived as ''God Save the King'', sung for George II in 1745. It modifies according to the gender of the monarch, which has happened twice thus far since its composition, during the reign of Queen Victoria (1837-1901) and the current monarch (1952-).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Freedom of the Press is such a prerequisite for democracy that it was enshrined in legislation when states developed into representative-democracies. England established a free press in 1695 during her revolutionary settlement establishing a parliamentary government. The first amendment (1791) to the US Constitution states, ''congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press''. Further, the UN Declaration of Human Rights (1948) states that, "everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom...to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas through any media regardless of frontier''. 

We actually use a freedom (of the press) as a barometer on whether that state is a democracy or otherwise; thus China and North Korea are not democracies and do not possess a free press. The two are inherent. Freedom of the press is actually one of the first things attacked when a state switches from democracy to totalitarianism; during the Third Reich, freedom of the press was abolished under the Reichstag Fire Decree, and thereafter controlled through Goebbels' Ministry. 

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oh dear! This is the normal modus operandi!! It actually was originally conceived as ''God Save the King'', sung for George II in 1745. It modifies according to the gender of the monarch, which has happened twice thus far since its composition, during the reign of Queen Victoria (1837-1901) and the current monarch (1952-).

Bloody awful dirge it is too. Truly one of the worst national anthems ever. 

I’m reasonably sure that not talking to enemies of democracy who harass, lie and spread hate speech doesn’t pose a threat to democracy. Not talking to them also doesn’t limit any of their freedoms. Which is just one of the many reasons that it’s utterly hilarious to suggest that the government of Canada, The official opposition and all the major parties are fascists :lol: 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, whenever I point out the ridiculous things you write it is just a semantic exercise. 

So are rock bands with leaders fascists or not? You can't have it both ways depending upon which way the discussion goes. 

I didn't say ''rocks bands with leaders'' are ''fascists''. I made the suggestion that W. Axl Rose, one particular leader of a rock band, is ''dictatorial''.

Although maybe he isn't so much fascist but outright Nazi when we consider ''One in a Million''. 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I didn't say ''rocks bands with leaders'' are ''fascists''. I made the suggestion that W. Axl Rose, one particular leader of a rock band, is ''dictatorial''.

You also said that soon was "rather correct" when joking about GN'R being fascist *yawn*

Why would you even find it opportune to respond to soon's fascism joke by pointing out that Axl's a dictator? It would be entirely irrelevant :lol: Because you didn't, you were scrambling to say something bad about GN'R and made the usual fool out of yourself in the process, likening rock bands with strong leaders to fascism. Hilarious. 

Edited by SoulMonster

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Again, not a linguistic exercise to point out your nonsense *yawn*

I love it how you can have an argument on your door step yet you prefer to pick holes in semantics. Your favourite arguments (with me) are truly not Trump, Brexit, tree-huggery, religion, and all and sundry but ones concerning the merest adverb! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

NO,  I said that if you ban free speech then you can't have a democracy and is a violation of the first amendment, Freedom of Press and Freedom of Speech is essential to a democracy and if you cant stand that then you wont be a democracy for very long/

and you are proving my point by reaching because I am taking your arguments and tearing them to shreds. 

d

Yes, but at the same time there are rules and regulations. For example you can't scream FIRE!!! in a theater when there is no such a thing taking place. You can't claim you have the right to scream anything you want when you want it.

Also there are words you can't use when you are talking on radio and T.V. 

You can't print in a newspaper that Axl Rose killed his sister if such a statement is a lie. Axl Rose has the right to take legal action against you and the newspaper

But when it comes to social media there is more room for bullshit. If someone wants to write fake news. That person can do it. But you have to be smart enough to check other sources. The problem is when people believe some guy who is just talking out of his ass. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Padme said:

Yes, but at the same time there are rules and regulations. For example you can't scream FIRE!!! in a theater when there is no such a thing taking place. You can't claim you have the right to scream anything you want when you want it.

Also there are words you can't use when you are talking on radio and T.V. 

You can't print in a newspaper that Axl Rose killed his sister if such a statement is a lie. Axl Rose has the right to take legal action against you and the newspaper

But when it comes to social media there is more room for bullshit. If someone wants to write fake news. That person can do it. But you have to be smart enough to check other sources. The problem is when people believe some guy who is just talking out of his ass. 

That's what i said

I don't see how we have freedom of the press when for years we had Murdoch running The News of the World, The Times, The Sun, Talk Radio, Sky News, others. We have haven't had an election in this country where someone that Murdoch hasn't backed won since Pre Thatcher in the 70s. Then there's the Telegraph (who owners run the Spectator) and Mail (which owns the I) ran by nom doms. All back the same political party. All of which do nothing but run storys attacking people of colour, the working class, immigrants, judges, police, fire, nhs and people who don't vote conservative.

The Express and Mirror are ran by the same people too.