Gracii Guns

British Politics

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

If "sexism" and "racism" are political beliefs in modern UK, then anything can be considered a political belief and what you are basically saying is that any uttering, however vile, should be legal. Which is fine but it has nothing to do with this politician using her democratic right to fight racism and sexism.

It is academic for the reasons stated.

That's funny. You will applaud her if she fights racism in her own party but attack her if she fights racism in the media. Seems you just don't like her and hence say whatever to attack her even if it leaves you morally inconsistent.

She represents an antisemite political movement (Momentum) yet is criticizing others for being racist? I'd call that hypocrisy. 

• Like 1

I don't think she was talking about UK press in general, but the "right-wing press". In fact, she stated so explicitly. I have no idea whether this is a problem, I would think you would know, Daisy since I assume you read these papers, but I simultaneously don't think you would give an honest answer. I would agree, though, that regular media in the UK isn't particularly racist and certainly that most people in larger UK cities aren't. I highly doubt Brits are more racist than the average in Europe.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have been to nearly every country in Europe, and a fair bit of Asia also.

Name a more cosmopolitan city than London? You might say New York is its equal but then you would struggle. And for the most party, it ticks along harmoniously.

I somehow doubt you've been to nearly every country in Europe, but whatever.

There are so many multicultural cities in the world... Toronto, Amsterdam, Los Angeles. I don't even know, you can google it. Maybe you're right, Britain really is the most non-racist and tolerant country in the world. But I have no idea where you based that on.

The great racist British press (who ehh inadvertently celebrated a half-black woman as their princess),

83248481_10212112564167712_1930259195899

I am yet to see a racist comment pertaining to Megan in the media. The only thing any one could come up with is Danny Baker's chimpanzee comment, and Baker claimed he didn't know she was half-black, and was promptly publically chastised and fired. 

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

There are so many multicultural cities in the world... Toronto, Amsterdam, Los Angeles. I don't even know, you can google it. Maybe you're right, Britain really is the most non-racist and tolerant country in the world. But I have no idea where you based that on.

I am not saying that other multicultural cities do not exist besides London!!

And I don't see why you could doubt me regarding travel considering you do not know me, but you are free to think whatever you want. I actually lived in an Asian country for awhile - but I suppose you'd doubt that also?

Edited by DieselDaisy

This is a great example of how the UK press absolutely don't have it in for Meghan Markle. :lol:

I especially like the one about how she's trying to kill Princess Charlotte. :lol: 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal

sub-buzz-109-1578677556-1.png?crop=740:1sub-buzz-109-1578677582-2.png?crop=750:1

sub-buzz-132-1578679489-13.png?crop=750:sub-buzz-135-1578679507-7.png?crop=750:9

sub-buzz-126-1578688110-20.png?crop=661:sub-buzz-123-1578688124-8.png?crop=661:4

sub-buzz-135-1578679227-1.png?crop=741:9sub-buzz-131-1578680327-8.png?crop=738:1

sub-buzz-657-1578791904-1.png?crop=750:9sub-buzz-1193-1578791919-11.png?crop=750

sub-buzz-864-1578763124-2.png?crop=471:4sub-buzz-251-1578762715-8.png?crop=741:1

sub-buzz-1998-1578926956-1.png?crop=601:sub-buzz-2504-1578926971-14.png?crop=606

sub-buzz-871-1578763221-1.png?crop=742:1sub-buzz-832-1578763301-1.png?crop=740:1

sub-buzz-1188-1578792950-9.png?crop=707:sub-buzz-1194-1578792965-1.png?crop=706:

sub-buzz-202-1578691852-13.png?crop=739:sub-buzz-201-1578691875-7.png?crop=750:1

Edited by Dazey

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

She represents an antisemite political movement (Momentum) yet is criticizing others for being racist? I'd call that hypocrisy. 

So because she belongs to an organization with members who have been accused of anti-semitic statements, she -- although she is not the recipient of such accusations and have instead criticised her own organization for not doing enough to deal with said accusations -- is somehow disqualified for speaking out against racism and sexism? Brilliant, Daisy :lol: 

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Diesel's statement is trumpesque in its grandeur. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am not saying that other multicultural cities do not exist besides London!!

Of course not, but you say London is the most multicultural. And maybe you're right, but please provide me a link or something.

And you say Britain is probably the most non-racist and tolerant country in the world. Maybe you're right about that too, but I have no idea where you get that information from.

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

This is a great example of how the UK press absolutely don't have it in for Meghan Markle. :lol:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal

sub-buzz-109-1578677556-1.png?crop=740:1sub-buzz-109-1578677582-2.png?crop=750:1

sub-buzz-132-1578679489-13.png?crop=750:sub-buzz-135-1578679507-7.png?crop=750:9

sub-buzz-126-1578688110-20.png?crop=661:sub-buzz-123-1578688124-8.png?crop=661:4

sub-buzz-135-1578679227-1.png?crop=741:9sub-buzz-131-1578680327-8.png?crop=738:1

sub-buzz-657-1578791904-1.png?crop=750:9sub-buzz-1193-1578791919-11.png?crop=750

sub-buzz-864-1578763124-2.png?crop=471:4sub-buzz-251-1578762715-8.png?crop=741:1

sub-buzz-1998-1578926956-1.png?crop=601:sub-buzz-2504-1578926971-14.png?crop=606

sub-buzz-871-1578763221-1.png?crop=742:1sub-buzz-832-1578763301-1.png?crop=740:1

sub-buzz-1188-1578792950-9.png?crop=707:sub-buzz-1194-1578792965-1.png?crop=706:

sub-buzz-202-1578691852-13.png?crop=739:sub-buzz-201-1578691875-7.png?crop=750:1

Where is the racism?

Where is it?

NB., Princess Diana and Fergie all copped it far worse and they were both white.

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have been to nearly every country in Europe, and a fair bit of Asia also.

Name a more cosmopolitan city than London? You might say New York is its equal but then you would struggle. And for the most party, it ticks along harmoniously.

- and I could also cite other cities, Birmingham, Manchester, etc. 

You fucking hate London! :lol: 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So because she belongs to an organization with members who have been accused of anti-semitic statements, she -- although she is not the recipient of such accusations and have instead criticised her own organization for not doing enough to deal with said accusations -- is somehow disqualified for speaking out against racism and sexism? Brilliant, Daisy :lol: 

She rated her leader ''10/10'', despite his lack of willingness to tackle antisemitism in his own party, and some would argue his own antisemitism!!

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Not when it suits him.

She rated her leader ''10/10'', despite his lack of willingness to tackle antisemitism in his own party, and some would argue his own antisemitism!!

Still, because she belongs to an organization with members who have been accused of anti-semitic statements, she -- although she is not the recipient of such accusations and have instead criticised her own organization for not doing enough to deal with said accusations -- is somehow disqualified for speaking out against racism and sexism? Brilliant, Daisy :lol: 

Where is the racism?

Where is it?

NB., Princess Diana and Fergie all copped it far worse and they were both white.

I think there's a variety of factors at play. Think they don't like that she's American, divorced, "doesn't know her place" and yes I think there's an element of racism there too. 

If they don't have it in for her then why is she getting slated for doing exactly the same things that they're praising Kate for?

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Which is why I am a good person to say precisely that. I am unbiased.

(I actually like London in small doses).

Not when it suits him.

Still, because she belongs to an organization with members who have been accused of anti-semitic statements, she -- although she is not the recipient of such accusations and have instead criticised her own organization for not doing enough to deal with said accusations -- is somehow disqualified for speaking out against racism and sexism? Brilliant, Daisy :lol: 

If you are supporting so zealously this guy,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/13/jeremy-corbyn-not-involved-munich-olympics-massacre-wreath-laying

It actually rather does!

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I think there's a variety of factors at play. Think they don't like that she's American, divorced, "doesn't know her place" and yes I think there's an element of racism there too. 

If they don't have it in for her then why is she getting slated for doing exactly the same things that they're praising Kate for?

Kate Middleton has been criticised widely in the media also,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2664060/Your-bill-refurbish-Kates-palace-4MILLION-New-kitchen-nursery-bathrooms-quadruples-cost.html

Was this because Kate is white?

Megan in the media: where is the racism? It is utter bollocks. She is being attacked just like Diana and Fergie were attacked, because she is a royal and it is the tabloids basically. 

9 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Of course not, but you say London is the most multicultural. And maybe you're right, but please provide me a link or something.

And you say Britain is probably the most non-racist and tolerant country in the world. Maybe you're right about that too, but I have no idea where you get that information from.

I don't believe there is a scientific way to determine the latter point outside demographics, stuff like this (areas where 50% were born abroad),

2F25AF9600000578-2950401-image-a-44_1449

There are similar things to pull up. Just search ''London demographics''.

But obviously it is difficult to judge harmonious relations and acculturation - I make no apologies for there being more than an element of subjectivity in what I stated. 

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

And I don't see why you could doubt me regarding travel considering you do not know me, but you are free to think whatever you want.

You have said more than once on here that you hate travelling. There are 44 countries in Europe, I can't imagine someone who hates travelling having been to almost 44 countries in one continent. Even I haven't been to nearly all European countries and I live in Europe and I love travelling and I've done it quite a bit. But yes, I have no way of knowing obviously.

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What I find really funny here is that instead of applauding a politician fighting against racism and sexism, you try to cancel her because she belongs to a political movement you despise. Basically, it is more important to you to attack politicians you hate than supporting a fight against racism and sexism. It is really revealing about your priorities.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't believe there is a scientific way to determine the latter point outside demographics, stuff like this (areas where 50% were born abroad),

2F25AF9600000578-2950401-image-a-44_1449

There are similar things to pull up. Just search ''London demographics''.

But obviously it is difficult to judge harmonious relations and acculturation - I make no apologies for there being more than an element of subjectivity in what I stated. 

I think Toronto may be up there, New York City for sure. But I have no statistics. I can't say for sure, I have only been there once, but I don't think Canada is a very racist country either, although maybe @soon can shed some light on that.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

Just now, EvanG said:

You have said more than once on here that you hate travelling. There are 44 countries in Europe, I can't imagine someone who hates travelling having been to almost 44 countries in one continent. Even I haven't been to nearly all European countries and I live in Europe and I love travelling and I've done it quite a bit. But yes, I have no way of knowing obviously.

I think you misquoted me and some of my humour has been taken in earnest by yourself when it was in fact facetiousness - NB., I discussed travelling to Prague last year, and am currently discussing travelling to Krakow this year in the general discussion. I do hate the act of travelling, flying, etc. Indeed, I hate travelling domestically also. 

I perhaps should have said Western Europe. I have been to France, Spain, Italy, German, Czech Republic, Portugal, Greece, Austria. A few of these on multiple occasions (seen all of Spain!!). It is currently now that I am beginning to explore Eastern Europe. 

Never been to Holland strangely - I say it is strange because of its proximity and popularity among Brits. Never fancied it. 

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I think Toronto may be up there, New York City for sure. But I have no statistics. I can't say for sure, I have only been there once, but I don't think Canada is a very racist country either, although maybe @soon can shed some light on that.

The problem with the United States is its situation with black people is so entirely different from any European country with black people. 

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What I find really funny here is that instead of applauding a politician fighting against racism and sexism, you try to cancel her because she belongs to a political movement you despise. Basically, it is more important to you to attack politicians you hate than supporting a fight against racism and sexism. It is really revealing about your priorities.

You should have realised awhile back on here that I loath hypocrisy, whether that applies to frequent fliers such as yourself lecturing people on climate change, or members of Momentum hectoring about racism?

I think you misquoted me and some of my humour has been taken in earnest by yourself when it was in fact facetiousness - NB., I discussed travelling to Prague last year, and am currently discussing travelling to Krakow this year in the general discussion. I do hate the act of travelling, flying, etc. Indeed, I hate travelling domestically also. 

I perhaps should have said Western Europe. I have been to France, Spain, Italy, German, Czech Republic, Portugal, Greece, Austria. A few of these on multiple occasions (seen all of Spain!!). It is currently now that I am beginning to explore Eastern Europe. 

Never been to Holland strangely - I say it is strange because of its proximity and popularity among Brits. Never fancied it. 

I didn't misquote you, and I knew what you meant back then about the actual ''travelling'' part. I was in Strasbourg last weekend, a city relatively close to me, but I still spent a total of 12 hours on several trains, but if you don't like that you shouldn't go travelling because that's a big part of it, especially when you're doing the backpacking thing. Fortunately I don't mind it. I even enjoy the train rides.

But it's ok, you misspoke. Happens often in a discussion. Evidently I have been to more European countries than you, but I still haven't seen half of them so I wouldn't say that I have been to ''nearly'' every country in Europe.

And for a history buff not to fancy the Netherlands? Okay!

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hm... did you write this?

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I didn't misquote you, and I knew what you meant back then about the actual ''travelling'' part. I was in Strasbourg last weekend, a city relatively close to me, but I still spent a total of 12 hours on several trains, but if you don't like that you shouldn't go travelling because that's a big part of it, especially when you're doing the backpacking thing. Fortunately I don't mind it. I even enjoy the train rides.

But it's ok, you misspoke. Happens often in a discussion. Evidently I have been to more European countries than you, but I still haven't seen half of them so I wouldn't say that I have been to ''nearly'' every country in Europe.

Sadomasochist. Try using the Transpennine service, Newcastle to Durham, often, or standing on a train from Newcastle to York, and you will soon have a rather different opinion on train travel!

You seem to put a big premium on how many countries one has visited? To be honest I prefer to see a place in detail.

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Hm... did you write this?

No.

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You should have realised awhile back on here that I loath hypocrisy, whether that applies to frequent fliers such as yourself lecturing people on climate change, or members of Momentum hectoring about racism?

I don't think it has anything to do with hypocrisy. Because only really stupid people would be blind to a good idea like fighting racism when it happens to come from someone who could only through a really half-assed argument be construed to be a racist herself, and I don't think you are quite that stupid. No, your use of hypocrisy is just a conversational cop-out. Whenever you struggle in a discussion you turn to accusing your opponents of being hypocrites as if that renders their otherwise sensible arguments automagically invalid. Like now, you attempt to cancel this politician's admirable determination to fight racism and sexism because you hate her political movement and so by the stupid's propensity for moronic association you hate her too, and when called out for this you claim that somehow her opinion is invalid because you can present a rather tenuous argument for her being a racist too. It is hilarious. And when I argue that we should do our job in recycling and that you are a disgrace for not caring about this particular issue, then I am a hypocrite because I happen to have a job where I fly quite a bit (as if these things are even connected). So no, you don't loath hypocrisy, you love it. You love it because you believe it presents you with a polemic get-out-of-jail card whenever you make a fool of yourself, so quite often, although most people would see right through such unintellectual argumentation.