British Politics

Gracii Guns

Just to demonstrate that we will be able to immediately kick all foreign boats out of our waters and still strike a great free trade deal with the EU.

The French fishermen who could sink Britain's post-Brexit ambitions

BOULOGNE-SUR-MER, France (Reuters) - For the British government, a successful Brexit means re-asserting economic sovereignty and landing a trade deal with Europe. Trawler captain Stephane Fait and his fellow French fisherman could sink that plan.

Based in Boulogne-sur-Mer, France’s busiest fishing port and a major European processing center, Fait and his crew earn the bulk of their income from fish caught in British waters.

In negotiations on a post-Brexit trade deal that get underway after Britain’s Jan. 31 exit from the European Union, Britain will say EU vessels like Fait’s Notre Dame de Boulogne trawler no longer have automatic access to British waters.

But French fishermen won’t accept that and they have leverage: pressuring Brussels via French President Emmanuel Macron to withhold the trade deal unless Britain lets EU trawlers fish its waters.

“Macron mustn’t give an inch to Britain,” the captain said as his crew unloaded 2 tonnes of squid, red mullet and whiting this week.

Fait, 50, said his livelihood was at risk and wants Macron to retaliate against any restrictions imposed by London with a ban on British-caught fish entering the EU.

The fishing row shows how just one small industry - which plays a tiny economic role but has outsize political influence - can undo Britain’s ambitions of landing a wider deal that preserves its access to European markets.

British fishing grounds are among the richest in the North East Atlantic zone where most of the EU catch is hauled in. Current rules allow EU boats to fish as close as six nautical miles to Britain’s coast, but once it leaves the bloc its exclusive economic zone will reach as far as 200 miles offshore.

If no new accord is reached, Fait will not be allowed to fish beyond a line down the middle of the English Channel separating French and British territorial waters.

It would be “very, very grave” if French boats were banned from British waters, French Farm Minister Didier Guillaume told Reuters. “There could be reprisal measures.”

COMPETING INTERESTS

Regaining control of Britain’s waters was a totem for Brexit campaigners. British fishermen say too many concessions were made when Britain joined the European Economic Community in 1973.

The EU Common Fisheries Policy determines how much of each fish can be caught and sets national quotas. Once Britain becomes an independent coastal state, it will operate its fish stocks independently.

“A re-balancing is needed,” a British official said. “We believe we should have a greater share of the fish in UK waters.”

However, a European diplomat said the objective was to “maintain the status quo” on access to British waters.

The European Commission says there should be no free trade agreement without a fisheries accord.

Another European diplomat said EU capitals would stand united on fisheries, as they did on the Irish border during negotiations on a withdrawal agreement.

ECONOMIC LIFELINE

Fishing is a tiny contributor to the EU’s economy, providing only 180,000 jobs.

But it is a lifeline for coastal communities in France, as well as Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands and negotiations will go beyond just access to fishing grounds.

In Boulogne-sur-Mer, some 5,000 people work in refrigerated warehouses and processing plants that handle 400,000 tonnes of fish annually and distribute to markets across Europe. Less than 10% is landed at the port; fish, lobster and shellfish caught off Scotland, Norway and the Faroe Islands are often trucked in from British ports.

While Britain might hold the upper hand over access to its fishing grounds, British fishermen could ill-afford to turn their backs on Europe, said Aymeric Chrzan, head of the fishmonger union’s local branch.

His message for Britain: “You can keep your fish stocks for yourself, prevent others from fishing, but you’ve still got to make a living.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-fisheries/the-french-fishermen-who-could-sink-britains-post-brexit-ambitions-idUKKBN1ZT1YR

Edited by Dazey

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It certainly does. Another benefit will be not having French and Spanish fishing trawlers entering our waters and completely contravening the EU's very own CFP.

Proof that remainers are utter scum,

I think she was joking. 

Not sure though, dont know why i posted that. How the fuck would I know what Kathy Burke is thinking.@Gracii Guns can I get that one crossed of my post tally cheers.

Edited by spunko12345

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

''All remainers are paedos'',

my-generation-book-launch-v-a-london-bri

See how easy it is, to selectively choose individuals from these two groupings, leaver and remainer, in order to stigmatise the entirety of them?

And yet you do it again and again. 

No, I don't care about wealthy Islington based liberals

:lol:

No, I don't care about wealthy Islington based liberals as much as I do struggling coastal communities and post-industrial towns. The latter's needs are greater than the former.

So what you are saying is that you care more about a few people who you think suffered because of EU's sustainable policies than millions of compatriots who will suffer because of your decision to leave the EU. Okay. 

Well l I obviously do because I am the only one here who actually cares that the EU actively destroyed a segment of our country

The plight of your fishermen is completely trivial to the possible economic ramifications to most Brits. You really don't care about them. You are more concerned about previous assumed plights than real ramifications happening because of your childish grudges. 

It is all about defending the status quo. The reason you, Dazey (and Soul as a sort of fellow traveler), are so defensive of a neo-liberal construct like the EU is you belong to the very class

I belong to a class? Keep me out of your inane British segmentations. I argue against Brexit because it hurts your country, not because of class affiliations. 

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

Just to demonstrate that we will be able to immediately kick all foreign boats out of our waters and still strike a great free trade deal with the EU.

It is good we have a government making all the right noises about maritime exclusivity then, isn't? If it was Theresa May we'd certainly give the EU access, on the first day of negotiations.  If it was Corbyn we would have declared our coastline an ''imperialist relic'' and handed the entire thing to Gerry Adams, chucking in the fishing fleet as a present.

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

You could have just as easily picked more than a hundred examples of remainers acting appallingly - cough, Terry Christian. And you, a supporter of social equality and democracy yet some of the most repellent examples of abuse against the working classes of the United Kingdom have been brandished by the remain side simply because these people voted against a neoliberal-antidemocratic institute? 

37 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Hahaha :lol:

You are laughing yet the big reason Norway twice selected not to join the EU was because of the EU's Common Fisheries Policy and the threat it imposed to your maritime economy - Iceland also. The very thing you are ridiculing me for, is the reason you yourself are not a citizen of the EU! 

58 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

And yet you do it again and again. 

:lol:

You have conveniently opted to edit out the second part of my ''no, I don't care about wealthy Islington based liberals'' which I'll reinstate for you for purposes of clarity,

''...as much as I do struggling coastal communities and post-industrial towns. The latter's needs are greater than the former'''.

I see ''#thick'' by remainers is now trending on twitter. Brexit is the most hateful example of stigmatising of the working classes of this country in its long and shameful history of class warfare. This country should certainly be ashamed of itself - that I agree with remainers - however it shouldn't be ashamed for merely not voting x in a democrat referendum, but for the vitriol and spite displayed by the losing side. 

PS

That leave supporters are more tolerant of opposing views than remainers,

EPrdRkrXUAACimX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are laughing yet the big reason Norway twice selected not to join the EU was because of the EU's Common Fisheries Policy and the threat it imposed to your maritime economy - Iceland also. The very thing you are ridiculing me for, is the reason you yourself are not a citizen of the EU! 

That's inaccurate of course but if it was up to me we would have joined in 94. 

You have conveniently opted to edit out the second part of my ''no, I don't care about wealthy Islington based liberals'' which I'll reinstate for you for purposes of clarity,

''...as much as I do struggling coastal communities and post-industrial towns. The latter's needs are greater than the former'''.

What, you think Brexit will only hurt "wealthy Islington based liberals"? As I have made clear previously, poor people will suffer the most from the weaker economy that comes as the result of Brexit. The exact same people you like to make us think you are a champion of. But no, you couldn't care less about their plights. You fuck them over by voting to leave purely to get revenge on the EU for something you think they did a long time ago. You are more concerned about past grievances than making the right choice for your children (well, you haven't got any so that might help explain your inane selfishness). As if Brexit is about the past and not the future. 

I see ''#thick'' by remainers is now trending on twitter. Brexit is the most hateful example of stigmatising of the working classes

Stop pretending that you care about the working classes :lol:

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You fuck them over by voting to leave

I didn't vote in the referendum.

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You are more concerned about past grievances than making the right choice for your children (well, you haven't got any so that might help explain your inane selfishness). As if Brexit is about the past and not the future. 

As I have said on multiple occasions, my criticism of the EU is multifaceted and certainly includes ''modern'' concerns on the future direction of the EU. 

23 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That's inaccurate of course but if it was up to me we would have joined in 94. 

It is a good job most Norwegians are not as idiotic as you and consequentially rejected the EU, 53.5% in 1972 and 52.2% in 1994. 

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Stop pretending that you care about the working classes :lol:

Well, we've established long ago that you don't know a single thing about me. 

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

''All remainers are paedos'',

my-generation-book-launch-v-a-london-bri

See how easy it is, to selectively choose individuals from these two groupings, leaver and remainer, in order to stigmatise the entirety of 

I just tried to post the original picture and it's just saville on his own

Edited by spunko12345

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

69415563_1146087112267288_54635519879896

Oh dear Terry.

I think there is cracking book to be written on Saville. Some top journalist should do the definitive book. dedicate a few years and speak to everyone. All the people who were around the club's up north in the 60s, the stars of the 80s 90s the royals, all the BBC people. Everyone claims they knew but he was around all the top politicians and royals so what did he have on them. Something still doesn't add up. I reckon there's some well known people who are still keeping stuff buried. Trouble is most of them are probably dead now.

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Well Savile was obviously a Brexiter. 

Don't tarnish his name like that 😄

Tories thoroughly vulnerable on their handling of Jihadist probation releases. If only there was an opposition?

PS

''Thick uneducated'' remainers who ''didn't know what they were voting for''. 

A repository of such chestnuts as,

"My favourite thing about the EU is the NHS"

"The EU is about everyone having the same opinion"

"I've gotta pay to go to France now"

"I have friends who are going to have to move to Scotland"

Edited by DieselDaisy