British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Tories thoroughly vulnerable on their handling of Jihadist probation releases. If only there was an opposition?

Personally I think that this could be a big win for them. There seems to be a sizable disconnect in the electorate at large that views this government as  some sort of New Testament Tories whose previous sins can all be forgiven because it's now Pre-Boris vs Post Boris. I mean the Tories pretty ran against themselves in the election and won a massive majority so I don't think that this hurts them at all. I think it's a massive open goal to be fair. All he has to do is blame the last ten years on gridlock in parliament and weak leadership. If Priti Patel basically unleashes the hounds at this point and brings in really strong and heavy handed criminal justice reforms as she's already promised then I think this is a big win for the Tories. They've already said they plan to end early release for terror related offences and they can point to this as justification even though the reasons behind the current policy are all their own fucking fault. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Isn't that just business as usual for you lot?

Btw, Berlin is great.

I dunno, I never been anywhere but Pakistan and they're hardly gonna give you grief going there.  Been for France now, nothing much happened on the way there.  Anyway, I don't give a fuck, I don't do nothing so they can question me about anything they like or look up my bum or whatever it is they fancy. 

As for Berlin, I hope so.  I picked it cuz it seemed the next obvious place, had a look at France so lets see what Germanys about.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I dunno, I never been anywhere but Pakistan and they're hardly gonna give you grief going there.  Been for France now, nothing much happened on the way there.  Anyway, I don't give a fuck, I don't do nothing so they can question me about anything they like or look up my bum or whatever it is they fancy. 

As for Berlin, I hope so.  I picked it cuz it seemed the next obvious place, had a look at France so lets see what Germanys about.

Quite different to Paris, although many of the small cities that make up Berlin have their own personality and charm. I can't give you any recommendations, so long since I've been there, but the area Mitte is fun and the best Caipirinha drink in Europe you get at Joe's Bar :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Quite different to Paris, although many of the small cities that make up Berlin have their own personality and charm.

That's exactly what I told him before!

I love Berlin (but who doesn't?), definitely one of my favourites.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I regretted going to Potsdam, too touristy and it's not all it's cracked up. You can better use that time to explore different areas in Berlin, there is so much to see and it's all so spread out.

Really? Sanssouci is one of Europe's greatest palatial buildings. I thought it was stunning.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Really? Sanssouci is one of Europe's greatest palatial buildings. I thought it was stunning.

Architecture is one of the main reasons for me to go anywhere, but I remember being somewhat disappointed. This was a long time ago, though.

I guess it depends on how long you are staying in Berlin, if you are only there for a couple of days, my advice would be to see as much as possible in Berlin because you're going to need it, but if you're there for a week or longer and you want to see it, go check it out for a day or an afternoon.

31 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's exactly what I told him before!

I love Berlin (but who doesn't?), definitely one of my favourites.

You're actually part of the reason why I picked Berlin as it happens, nothing more than the fact you saying you really liked it, for some reason that stuck in my head, as well as y'know, it being the obvious place.  See I've got not real like...burning overpowering passion to go anywhere so each place is as good as another and the most incidental reasoning can be applied for me to picking a place.  Been googling it and watching youtube vids and that, its an odd little place, not really the most visually wow place but it looks like its got enough little bits and pieces to keep me occupied for a couple of days. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

You're actually part of the reason why I picked Berlin as it happens, nothing more than the fact you saying you really liked it, for some reason that stuck in my head, as well as y'know, it being the obvious place.  See I've got not real like...burning overpowering passion to go anywhere so each place is as good as another and the most incidental reasoning can be applied for me to picking a place.  Been googling it and watching youtube vids and that, its an odd little place, not really the most visually wow place but it looks like its got enough little bits and pieces to keep me occupied for a couple of days. 

I have only met one person in my life who didn't like Berlin, most others seem to love it. And she was only there for one day and didn't get to see much, and I can imagine the first impression being a bit underwhelming because it's not a very attractive city. Last time I was there I took two friends because I really wanted them to see Berlin, and at first they reacted the same way I did my first time, but after 4 days and me having shown them as much as I could in 4 days, they loved it as much as me. You just need time to explore the different areas and soak up all the different vibes because that makes Berlin so unique and cool.

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You should visit Vienna, if you haven't already. When it comes down to palaces and architecture it is perhaps the most beautiful city I have ever been to.

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

You should visit Vienna, if you haven't already. When it comes down to palaces and architecture it is perhaps the most beautiful city I have ever been to.

I have been. It is indeed stunning, but crikey, it is very dear. Salzburg is touristy and full of Mozart tat.

In fairness, I loved Prague but the phrase ''tourist trap'' could have been invented for it. Full of gormless looking tourist groups following someone with their national flag around Old Town Square. The Charles Bridge is clogged with a plodding mass of humanity being fed into the bridge like a sausage making machine. A few more things annoyed me about the place, including having to pay to use the bogs in a restaurant even if you're a paying customer, as well as the hyper fast utterly bonkers escalators on the metro - death machines! But those were minor drawbacks compared to the positives. And these negatives were just around the Old Town Square and Charles Bridge area. I was situated on the outskirts and there it felt more authentic and laid back. 

The Prague Card is utter bollocks. I ended up out of profit.

Last time I was in Berlin I went to the location where the Führerbunker was located. There's absolutely nothing to see (except for an information board), but I still wanted to go. It's in Mitte, one street away from the Holocaust Memorial, so it's not like I went out of my way to find it or anything. But it's a historical place nonetheless.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor hitler's bunker parking lot"

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In fairness, I loved Prague but the phrase ''tourist trap'' could have been invented for it. Full of gormless looking tourist groups following someone with their national flag around Old Town Square. The Charles Bridge is clogged with a plodding mass of humanity being fed into the bridge like a sausage making machine.

It's very crowded with tourists because it's one of the most beautiful towns in Europe but partly also because the center isn't that big.

The problem with Prague is mainly all the Brits there. Don't get me wrong, I love Brits. But seeing a shirtless, ruddy, fat Englishman lying sprawling over a restaurant table just feels more right in the Northern Quarter of Manchester and much more jarring and wrong in the Old Town of Prague. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The problem with Prague is mainly all the Brits there. Don't get me wrong, I love Brits. But seeing a shirtless, ruddy, fat Englishman lying sprawling over a restaurant table just feels more right in the Northern Quarter of Manchester and much more jarring and wrong in the Old Town of Prague. 

Well it serves you right for visiting Prague at the same time as Dazey.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have been. It is indeed stunning, but crikey, it is very dear. Salzburg is touristy and full of Mozart tat.

I went to Salzburg and it was pretty but not a lot to do. Only went because it was a cheap train from Munich for the day though.

Strangely I didn't see any drunken Brits in Prague and I was very much expecting it but saw none. But I was never out too late and drank in authentic places I had researched beforehand so maybe I just missed them.

There was a bunch of old drunken trollops, hens, on the plane going, happily inebriated of course and they were on the same plane returning now possessing faces like smacked arses.

• Haha 1