British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

You call it European bacon? I call it English bacon. Our bacon does not look like that. Ours look more like American bacon. And if they tell you yours taste better they are just being polite :)

Umm, well I thought it had Scandinavian roots actually. For years when I was a child, one of the highest-quality versions of that cut of bacon (back bacon) you could buy was Danish - all the grown-ups I knew talked in glowing terms about Danish bacon (the brand was called Tulip). Maybe it's less popular now that people are a bit more conscious about buying locally. 

Disappointed that you call it English bacon though, there's really good (back) bacon comes from my part of Scotland too :P . 

Also, they definitely weren't just being polite, it was an "Oh my god, why don't we have this!?" kind of reaction. 

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

Umm, well I thought it had Scandinavian roots actually. For years when I was a child, one of the highest-quality versions of that cut of bacon (back bacon) you could buy was Danish - all the grown-ups I knew talked in glowing terms about Danish bacon (the brand was called Tulip). Maybe it's less popular now that people are a bit more conscious about buying locally. 

Disappointed that you call it English bacon though, there's really good (back) bacon comes from my part of Scotland too :P . 

Also, they definitely weren't just being polite, it was an "Oh my god, why don't we have this!?" kind of reaction. 

It could be a Danish speciality. They are weird. 

I call it English bacon because England is the only place I have seen it. Nothing wrong with taste, just not what I consider bacon. 

My favourite is "lettsaltet sideflesk". 

Edited by SoulMonster

33 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I call it English bacon because England is the only place I have seen it. Nothing wrong with taste, just not what I consider bacon. 

Both UK and US style bacon is delicious in its own way. For eating on its own I'll take the US crispy strip type every day but the UK style back bacon makes much better sandwiches. I like to fry the bacon in lard until the fat is all rendered then take it out to one side and wipe all the fat and grease out of the pan with two slices of cheap white bread then use that bread to make the most delicious bacon sandwich you've ever had. It doesn't even need any sauce because the fat gives it all the flavour. :thumbsup: 

13 hours ago, Dazey said:

Both UK and US style bacon is delicious in its own way. For eating on its own I'll take the US crispy strip type every day but the UK style back bacon makes much better sandwiches. I like to fry the bacon in lard until the fat is all rendered then take it out to one side and wipe all the fat and grease out of the pan with two slices of cheap white bread then use that bread to make the most delicious bacon sandwich you've ever had. It doesn't even need any sauce because the fat gives it all the flavour. :thumbsup: 

Sounds great for heart attacks.

We don't usually make sandwiches of bacon here in Norway. BLTs and stuff is a foreign concept to us. Just a platter with some fried bacon, a couple of eggs, maybe some bread on the side, that's more the Norwegian way.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:00 PM, DieselDaisy said:

It was the way everywhere until 4th Earl of Sandwich wanted to eat whilst gambling. 

He had earlier travelled through Greece and likely saw a pita type wrap or ‘pocket.’ So he gets a half point on this one.

Edited by soon

There is hypocrisy and then there is Piers Morgan. Despite (rightly) lambasting numerous celebrities and politicians (Michael Gove) for jumping the corona-test queue, Morgan has only gone and got himself tested!

Replies are a delight.

PS

Left going nuts because somebody (Owen Jones) spotted a David Irving book on Gove's bookshelf. 

PPS

''certain genders'' haha,

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 03/05/2020 at 10:15 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Left going nuts because somebody (Owen Jones) spotted a David Irving book on Gove's bookshelf. 

I saw that. Owen Jones is such a fucking nobhead! He's basically the left's equivalent of Piers Morgan with even less self awareness. 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Basically yes. Haha. 

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I saw that. Owen Jones is such a fucking nobhead! He's basically the left's equivalent of Piers Morgan with even less self awareness. 

True but Morgan is pissing off the right now for hammering the Tories on botching corona. Apparently GMB has lost loads of ratings because of his moaning. I think Trump -your mate - unfollowed him also because he said he was a gigantic cock over the bleach comment! 

I have a fair bit of time for Morgan but he started to become a bit unhinged during the Meghan business, and this corona stuff has sent him loopy. Still put him on though as it is fun watching him eviscerate politicians. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

True but Morgan is pissing off the right now for hammering the Tories on botching corona. Apparently GMB has lost loads of ratings because of his moaning. I think Trump -your mate - unfollowed him also because he said he was a gigantic cock over the bleach comment! 

I have a fair bit of time for Morgan but he started to become a bit unhinged during the Meghan business, and this corona stuff has sent him loopy. Still put him on though as it is fun watching him eviscerate politicians. 

I don't have TV to watch him in the morning but that's Julia time anyway. :lol:

Here's one for you from her feed. :lol:

EXNezFbWAAEcnQe?format=jpg&name=large

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

He's obviously a big mate of Kevin Pieterson and he absolutely went for Strauss and Cooke in his columns. Where do you stand on that? I think after KP was caught sending texts to the SAFAS players in the middle of a Test he should never have played for England again talent or no talent.

Edited by spunko12345
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

He's obviously a big mate of Kevin Pieterson and he absolutely went for Strauss and Cooke in his columns. Where do you stand on that? I think after KP was caught sending texts to the SAFAS players in the middle of a Test he should never have played for England again talent or no talent.

Can you imagine sharing a dressing room with Kevin Pietersen for your cricketing career? Straussy and Cooky should have got OBEs and knighthoods just for that alone.